Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Quote of the day...☺️

Options

Comments

• Linda-n3
    Linda-n3 Member Posts: 1,713
    edited April 2014
    Options

Glenna, my father had end-stage COPD for the last decade of life (he lived at least 10 years longer than he probably should have because he had EXCELLENT care from a very special pulmonologist and great nursing care from my mom). He would direct my mom where to plant things, he could see them from the windows of the house. He would use a mask and take his oxygen tank out to sit in the yard when the weather was nice and pollen count was down. 

I know that I cannot take care of the larger gardens now, but have contemplated doing a small indoor herb garden. I wonder if you would enjoy something like that, or if they have too much pollen too. I was thinking things like parsley, basil (keep it pinched back so it doesn't flower), oregano, mint - these will grow in pots and do require a little "puttering" to keep them trimmed and in shape. Just a few ideas that you can use or not - sometimes just thumbing through the catalogs satisfies me, especially when I think of how much work it is to put these things out, so I just look at the pictures and create my garden in my imagination. And if you want, pm me and I will send you photos of what I am working on.

"The men who learn endurance, are they who call the whole world brother." - Charles Dickens

I have been pondering this - not really sure I completely "get it" - but it sounded interesting and has caught my attention as I think it is very related to peace-making.

• intothewoods
    intothewoods Member Posts: 179
    edited April 2014
    Options

I have been pondering the Sheldon Cooper quote in Linda's signature and find it fascinating. Wish I watched the show. I'm contemplating the first  part and the "joy leads to prayer" because for me prayer means meditation.

Anyway, now the Dickens quote- I think it does connect with peace-making. Those who can endure everything can find the whole world a "brother" (or sister) Kind of tough to articulate well but best I can do for now.

Here's a favorite of mine:

Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom. - Viktor Frankl 

Lisa

• GatorGal
    GatorGal Member Posts: 750
    edited April 2014
    Options

Linda, I do have a small herb garden in two pots on the patio.  Just love fresh basil with sliced tomatos and mozzarella cheese!  I used to take great joy in mowing and planting annuals every year.  I do enjoy looking out at the beauty.  We've been letting the deer do our pruning.  LOL!  I also enjoy sitting on the patio when the pollen isn't too bad.  Glad we have birds and other wildlife to keep me occupied!!

• stagefree
    stagefree Member Posts: 360
    edited April 2014
    Options

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,061
    edited April 2014
    Options

• AmyJM
    AmyJM Member Posts: 134
    edited April 2014
    Options

DivineMrsM - I accidentally read yours as:

"She stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her away, she adjusted her sails."  

I just noticed what it really says - but now I can't get what I saw first out of my head, and actually - that way speaks to me right now - the stage IV diagnosis/ life is like standing in a storm - but when we find that it doesn't totally blow us away - that we are still here - we adjust our sails to our new reality.  Not that Elizabeth Edwards' quote needed improving upon, but that way was so powerful to me, that I thought I'd share it here.

Glenna - I love sliced tomato w/mozzarella cheese and fresh basil too  I like to put it on toast and put it in the broiler - so good!

• thisisme
    thisisme Member Posts: 45
    edited April 2014
    Options

ok, here is my favourite quote:

dr seuss: Don't
    cry because it's over. Smile because it happened

• divinemrsm
    edited April 2014
    Options

Amy, I believe the way you read it is the way it's written...and I agree with your analogy...

• stagefree
    edited April 2014
    Options

Ha ha ha .. Amy I read it 3 three times over and read it the way you did the first time.. this crap blows our mind away, somehow.. :)

Great quote The Divine MrsM, than for the laugh especially..

hugs

Ebru

• Kjones13
    Kjones13 Member Posts: 662
    edited April 2014
    Options

I'm confused...easily done, but isn't what Amy read what it really says?

• divinemrsm
    edited April 2014
    Options

It took me awhile to figure it out, too!  Here is the difference:

She stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow HER WAY, she adjusted her sails. (Elizabeth Edwards)

She stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her AWAY, she adjusted her sails.(AmyJM)

***To tell you the truth, I'm not sure how I read it before I even posted it on here, but I love the sentiment either way.

• PattyPeppermint
    PattyPeppermint Member Posts: 8,950
    edited April 2014
    Options

wow. I read it the  way Amy said also. Couldn't see the difference Til you evplainef. Thanks.  Love it !!! 

• Brendatrue
    Brendatrue Member Posts: 487
    edited April 2014
    Options

In anticipation of Earth Day, April 22nd (shouldn't it be every day?):

“The world, we are told, was made especially for man — a presumption not supported by all the facts.”  

“When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” 

“The sun shines not on us but in us. The rivers flow not past, but through us. Thrilling, tingling, vibrating every fiber and cell of the substance of our bodies, making them glide and sing. The trees wave and the flowers bloom in our bodies as well as our souls, and every bird song, wind song, and tremendous storm song of the rocks in the heart of the mountains is our song, our very own, and sings our love.” 

John Muir

• AmyJM
    edited April 2014
    Options

Brenda,

I love your quotes, esp the second and third ones  (although the first is very true too!).  I so believe in the connectedness of all of nature (including us) - even wrote a poem about it once.  Here it is, for what it's worth.  : )  The first and last stanzas speak to that tugging/being attached mentioned in the middle quote and the middle stanza and the end are kind of like the last quote - the idea of everything flowing through us and the idea that we aren't really separate from it all.

The wren knows there are no

empty spaces, her feathers woven

into the air that holds the branches

across the yard from the feeder where she eats,

she wiggles the wind with her wings,

sending the breeze back to the bushes.

Only we see gaps

between toes

and tree limbs

as if our skin is solid, holding us in,

oblivious to what the air, knitted into

wing and twig knows, as it flows

in and out of our sieved skin.

Amy G.

• Linda-n3
    Linda-n3 Member Posts: 1,713
    edited April 2014
    Options

Squeaktoy, the first quote is from James Martin, SJ, not Sheldon Cooper. I realized that might be confusing. Sheldon would NEVER say anything like that, LOL! He is very much an agnostic at best, raised by a very fundamenatlist Christian mother in the story. Father Martin is a Jesuit priest who writes some really neat stuff, one of which I enjoyed was "Between Humor and Mirth" which looks at the way laughter and humor can be a spiritual connection, and I think that is where the first quote comes from. 

And thanks for your reflections on the Dickens quote. 

DivineMrsM, I like the way you and others have helped us to interpret and re-interpret the wind and sails quote. All seem to be quite valid!

Brenda, I think we are soul sisters. Your quotes and comments always touch my soul, so consistent with my beliefs that we are here to be stewards of the earth, not to use it up and take everything from it we can possibly take. 

Amy, what beautiful poetry!

"People are usually more convinced by reasons they discover themselves than by those found out by others." - Blaise Pascal

(Yes, this is Pascal the  mathemetician (Pascal's triangle and other rules), physicist, and philosopher.)

• Loveforlife
    Loveforlife Member Posts: 67
    edited April 2014
    Options

• stagefree
    edited April 2014
    Options

Great quotes.. you all rock! co on newbies, join us.. remember, one day at a time.. :) 

• raro
    raro Member Posts: 78
    edited April 2014
    Options

Ebru suggested that I put this quote here from another thread: 

"I want to tell you something that I hope you will take in the right way: God is fully aware that you and I are not perfect.  Let me add: God is also fully aware that the people you think are perfect are not.  And yet we spend so much time and energy comparing ourselves to others—usually comparing our weaknesses to their strengths. This drives us to create expectations for ourselves that are impossible to meet. As a result, we never celebrate our good efforts because they seem to be less than what someone else does." (Dieter Uchtdorf)

• stagefree
    edited April 2014
    Options

Thanks dear Raro..it is so meaningful & as the contributor, it is best to be with your signature.. :)

Just watched this on Facebook.. stunned!! The quote is at the beginning of the video.. ;)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=1015274020662...

hugs

Ebru

• CajunQueen
    CajunQueen Member Posts: 15
    edited April 2014
    Options

Love reading these!

• AmyJM
    edited April 2014
    Options

Thanks for posting that Ebru - the quote was great and the whole thing was so powerful.

• steelrose
    steelrose Member Posts: 318
    edited April 2014
    Options

Thank you, Ebru! I cried as I watched that. It's all so overwhelming at times, but the human spirit is amazing.

• stagefree
    edited April 2014
    Options

I dedicate this one to the Oncologist/ Doctor/ whoever will FIND the cure..

Never Forget that you are one of a kind. Never forget that if there weren't any need for you in all your uniqueness to be on this earth, you wouldn't be here in the first place. And never forget, no matter how overwhelming life's challenges and problems seem to be, that one person can make a difference in the world. In fact, it is always because of one person that all changes matter in the world come about. So Be That One Person.

Buckminister Fuller

• tina2
    tina2 Member Posts: 757
    edited April 2014
    Options

I've always loved this one:

"Always forgive your enemies. Nothing annoys them so much."

Oscar Wilde

• stagefree
    edited April 2014
    Options

Tina you bet I just did it with someone.. She is boiling furious.. Poor girl messing around wirh a Metster girl!! Ha ha :)) as if I really have the time to care!

Hugs all

Ebru

• stagefree
    edited April 2014
    Options

hugs & love all, Ebru

• pajim
    pajim Member Posts: 930
    edited April 2014
    Options

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.  (writer unknown to me but this is the mantra of my boss)

Doesn't really apply to our situation, but goes with Tina's quote.  :-)

• heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,856
    edited April 2014
    Options

That was such a powerful video. Thanks for posting it, Ebru. 

• stagefree
    edited April 2014
    Options

Pajim, I actually live by that quote…after years of experience .. ugh people are so strange.. yet we need to stay together with the bunch we are stuck with at times..

Heidi, always welcome..

I definitely believe in this.. my soul sisters!! 

hugs & love

Ebru

• stagefree
    edited May 2014
    Options

hugs all 

Ebru