Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Quote of the day...☺️

Options

Comments

• Vadre
    Vadre Member Posts: 159
    edited March 2014
    Options

Y'all are the greatest group! Such honest, insight & sassyness!  I am so lucky to have found you. Here's a little addition to the conversation:

• Brendatrue
    Brendatrue Member Posts: 487
    edited March 2014
    Options

You cannot prevent the birds of sorrow from flying over your head, but you can prevent them from building nests in your hair. Chinese Proverb

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,061
    edited March 2014
    Options

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched---they must be felt with the heart."  ~ Helen Keller

• Linda-n3
    Linda-n3 Member Posts: 1,713
    edited March 2014
    Options

Bon, I love that quote! So today I spent the day with some wonderful women who like to paint - we worked on oil paintings and I FINALLY have one ALMOST done!!!! My future self will be even happier when it is completed!

I haven't contributed for a few days, so here are 2 for one!

Courage is almost a contradiction in terms. It means a strong desire to live taking the form of readiness to die.  -G.K. Chesterton

As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them.  -John Fitzgerald Kennedy

• Brendatrue
    edited March 2014
    Options

"There are many ways to be free. One of them is to transcend reality by imagination, as I try to do."

Anais Nin

• Kjones13
    Kjones13 Member Posts: 662
    edited March 2014
    Options

I haven't posted on here yet. I love quotes. I love song lyrics. Etc. but these are some sayings from one of my heroes, my volleyball and basketball coach in jr high and high school.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

You can't make chicken salad out of chicken poop.

Those two sayings have held true throughout the years. And I have one too, since becoming a school counselor.

You can't fix crazy.

• Brendatrue
    edited March 2014
    Options

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

Mark Twain

• divinemrsm
    edited March 2014
    Options

Ha, ha, love that one, Brenda.

• JillThut
    JillThut Member Posts: 97
    edited March 2014
    Options

Too Late

Time waits for no man, or so the wise men say

So don't put off till tomorrow, what you can do today

As I dallied, wasting time, the years began to mount

And I continued putting off the things that really count

Procrastination, thief of time, has finally done me in

Just as my life is ending, I'm ready to begin!

Lois Doolittle Thut

• reader123
    reader123 Member Posts: 13
    edited March 2014
    Options

Love all the quotes and comments thus far.  All my friends and family know I'm a huge John Denver fan.  In fact (if I may brag for a moment) I was able to meet him three times after concerts.  I had a huge crush on him. Anyway, these two songs seem to be playing in my head lately.  Thought I'd share. 

POEMS, PRAYERS, AND PROMISES

I've been lately thinking about my life's time, all the things I've done and how it's been.
    And I can't help believing in my own mind, I know I'm gonna hate to see it end.
    I've seen a lot of sunshine, slept out in the rain, spent a night or two all on my own.
    I've known my lady's pleasures, had myself some friends, spent a time or two in my own home.

I have to say it now, it's been good life all in all, it's really fine to have a chance to hang around.
    and lie there by the fire and watch the evening tire
    while all my friends and my old lady sit and pass a pipe around.
    And talk of poems and prayers and promises and things that we believe in.
    How sweet it is to love someone, how right it is to care.
    How long it's been since yesterday, what about tomorrow
    and what about our dreams and all the memories we share?

Days they pass so quickly now, the nights are seldom long.
    Time around me whispers when it's cold.
    The changes somehow frightens me, still I have to smile. It turns me on to think of growing old.
    For though my life's been good to me there's still so much to do.
    So many things my mind has never known.
    I'd like to raise a family, I'd like to sail away and dance across the mountains on the moon.

I have to say it now, it's been good life all in all, it's really fine to have a chance to hang around.
    and lie there by the fire and watch the evening tire
    while all my friends and my old lady sit and pass a pipe around.
    And talk of poems and prayers and promises and things that we believe in.
    How sweet it is to love someone, how right it is to care.
    How long it's been since yesterday, what about tomorrow
    and what about our dreams and all the memories we share? 

PERHAPS LOVE

Perhaps love is like a resting place, a shelter from the storm.
    It exists to give you comfort, it is there to keep you warm.
    And in those times of trouble when you are most alone,
    the memory of love will bring you home.

Perhaps love is like a window, perhaps an open door.
    It invites you to come closer, it wants to show you more.
    And even if you lose yourself and don't know what to do,
    the memory of love will see you through.

Oh, love to some is like a cloud, to some as strong as steel.
    For some a way of living, for some a way to feel.
    And some say love is holding on and some say letting go.
    And some say love is everything and some say they don't know.
    Perhaps love is like the ocean, full of conflict, full of change.
    Like a fire when it's cold outside or thunder when it rains.
    If I should live forever and all my dreams come true, my memories of love will be of you. 

• divinemrsm
    edited March 2014
    Options

reader, it's been years since I heard "Poems, Prayers and Promises" and the lyrics have such depth and are so meaningful to me at this point in my life.  John Denver's music takes me back to a simpler time in life...always loved "Country Road" as I live in the Ohio Valley and am just across the river from West Virginia. 

• PattyPeppermint
    PattyPeppermint Member Posts: 8,950
    edited March 2014
    Options

oh Bon.  I Love It !!! Thanks for Sharing 

• Moiralf
    Moiralf Member Posts: 119
    edited March 2014
    Options

Reader, I loved "Perhaps Love", I have never heard it sung but the words really speak to how I see love and how it expresses itself in my life. Plus it means a lot about the love I share with my dh, who is my greatest expression of love.

Bon, I  LOVED that quote. Wonder what letter I am up to by now?

These quotes may be short or long but they stop and make you think or else make you laugh out loud. Equally awesome moments in the day.

Moira

• reader123
    edited March 2014
    Options

Moiralf,  Here are some links for John Denver performing those two songs, on youtube. Enjoy.  I am posting a version of John singing Perhaps Love by himself, but there is also a semi-famous version of a duet with John and Placido Domingo.

Poems, Prayers, and Promises

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4d-NmoMHBbE

Perhaps Love

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8qwZUT4Poo

• Moiralf
    Moiralf Member Posts: 119
    edited March 2014
    Options

Reader, I listened to both versions of Perhaps Love and like the John Denver on his own version best.

Thanks for that. P,P,P wasn't as good for me.

Putting those Perhaps Love lyrics in my "thinking about my funeral" file. Could end up being a long service with the amount of cool material I am collecting and how long I intend being around.lol

Moira

• GatorGal
    GatorGal Member Posts: 750
    edited March 2014
    Options

I'm a great John Denver fan and I liked his  version of perhaps love.  Thanks so much for sharing.  Great quotes from all of you ... I had a week or so to catch up on as I've not been on BCO. Inch lately.  Some make me laugh out loud, so e give me pause, and some are just downright inspirational!

• divinemrsm
    edited March 2014
    Options

'Perhaps Love' isn't a song I remember hearing before yet the lyrics are so heartfelt and real.  One of my favorite websites is 'songfacts.com' which lists trivia of many different songs.  I looked this song up and learned Perhaps Love is the song John Denver sang at his induction to the Songwriter's Hall of Fame in 1996; a well-deserved award, I might add.

• reader123
    edited March 2014
    Options

I found a bunch of wonderful quotes on Goodreads.  Here is one which made me laugh.

“I'm not afraid of death; I just don't want to be there when it happens.”

Woody Allen

• Linda-n3
    edited March 2014
    Options

Am also a huge John Denver fan. I only saw him in concert once, but I have only been to a few concerts in my life (John Denver, Chicago, Bill Cosby - everything else were classical and cheap - usually university student or faculty concerts & recitals!). I took voice lessons last year and have a John Denver song book that I worked out of, and Poems, Prayers & Promises was one of my favorites to work on.

Bon, I am really enjoying your quotes, and Jill's post really made me think ... but I can't dwell on those thoughts of wasted time now, have to move on and use the time I have NOW to make my life worth it! Thanks ladies!

He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life. - Muhammad Ali

• stagefree
    stagefree Member Posts: 360
    edited March 2014
    Options

Hi ladies,

This is a re-post which I just remembered..it got lost in the depths of the hundreds of threads, so wanted to share it here again, for anyone who hasn't seen it before.. calms me & makes me feel better each time I read it..

In a mother's womb were two babies. One asked the other: "Do you believe in life after delivery?" The other replies, "why, of course. There has to be something after delivery. Maybe we are here to prepare ourselves for what we will be later. "Nonsense," says the other. "There is no life after delivery. What would that life be?" "I don't know, but there will be more light than here. Maybe we will walk with our legs and eat from our mouths." The other says "This is absurd! Walking is impossible. And eat with our mouths? Ridiculous. The umbilical cord supplies nutrition. Life after delivery is to be excluded. The umbilical cord is too short." "I think there is something and maybe it's different than it is here." the other replies, "No one has ever come back from there. Delivery is the end of life, and in the after-delivery it is nothing but darkness and anxiety and it takes us nowhere." "Well, I don't know," says the other, "but certainly we will see mother and she will take care of us." "Mother??" You believe in mother? Where is she now? "She is all around us. It is in her that we live. Without her there would not be this world." "I don't see her, so it's only logical that she doesn't exist." To which the other replied, "sometimes when you're in silence you can hear her, you can perceive her." I believe there is a reality after delivery and we are here to prepare ourselves for that reality....

(source:Facebook)

Hugs

Ebru

• divinemrsm
    edited March 2014
    Options

Ten thousand flowers in spring, the moon in autumn, a cool breeze in summer, snow in winter. If your mind isn’t clouded by unnecessary things, this is the best season of your life.- Wu-Men 

"I’m not afraid of the darkness or the night. I’m afraid of the silence where there is nothing to hide me from my own screaming thoughts."

• Linda-n3
    edited March 2014
    Options

Ebru, thanks for sharing that. It is indeed comforting.

• AmyJM
    AmyJM Member Posts: 134
    edited March 2014
    Options

Ebru - I remember reading that one before, but it's been a long time - thanks for posting it.  It says it so well I think - a great analogy.  : )

Reader - thanks for posting the John Denver songs too - Poems, Prayers and Promises really brought me back.  I wasn't familiar with Perhaps Love, but that was a neat one too - great lyrics.

• Linda-n3
    edited March 2014
    Options

"Compassion is the basis of all morality." - Arthur Schopenhauer

"The brain is a wonderful organ; it starts working the moment you get up in the morning and does not stop until you get to the office." - Robert Frost

• stagefree
    edited March 2014
    Options

Linda you made me smile, thank you! :)

Hugs

Ebru

• Loveforlife
    Loveforlife Member Posts: 67
    edited March 2014
    Options

Remember, we all stumble, every one of us. That's why it's a comfort to go hand in hand. ~Emily Kimbrough

Thanks to you all for going hand in hand with me! In hospital right now with pneumonia and pleural effusion. Thoracentesis tomorrow morning and then can hopefully go home. 

• divinemrsm
    edited March 2014
    Options

Loveforlife, sorry to hear about the pneumonia and hope your recovery goes smoothly and that you feel better soon.

• GatorGal
    GatorGal Member Posts: 750
    edited March 2014
    Options

loveforlife, thinking of you and hope you get to go home soon!!

• stagefree
    edited March 2014
    Options

loveforlife, thinking of you.. Hope you feel better by now. This one's for you..

Hugs

Ebru

• Linda-n3
    edited March 2014
    Options

Loveforlife, I am sending my very most positive thoughts your way, hoping the pleuracentesis goes well and that you feel MUCH better after that!

"An object in possession seldom retains the same charm it had in pursuit." - Pliny the Younger