Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Ladies in their 40s

Options

Comments

• Goldie8469
    Goldie8469 Member Posts: 59
    edited April 2014
    Options

I am so happy for you and your clean mammo Thesersaxo.   Okay, I have never had an MRI or Pet scan.  I am finished with chemo and have to replace my tissue expander in a few weeks. Has anyone else not been sent for imaging?  It bothers me and my oncologist says it would give too many false positives.

• Stenokim
    Stenokim Member Posts: 76
    edited April 2014
    Options

happy birthday oranje!  Congrats on clean mammo, Theresa.  

Goldie, I've not had a pet scan and my MO says no need for one for me either.  She said she can order all the scans I want, but her advice is to go on and live life and don't put myself through the anxiety and unnecessary biopsies that come with constant scans.  She says we all end up with the same treatment and prognosis whether it's found now or six months from now.  Kim

• Basia
    Basia Member Posts: 345
    edited May 2014
    Options

Hello Ladies,

Can I join? I am 43 with 7 year old twin girls and a wonderful husband who has been so supportive of me with everything.  I was originally diagnosed in 2010, Stage 1, no nodes, but DCIS throughout my breast so I needed a BMX.  ER/PR - but HER2+ so I needed chemo, TCH.  Finally moved on with life, feeling great and got hit with a whammy. Just diagnosed with recurrent BC.  My head is still spinning.  I found this on my own. Pulled the scar tissue on the side of my implant about 2 months ago, went to PS to make sure it was nothing, he said what I felt was scar tissue.  Went 3 weeks later for routine Onc visit, he said it was scar tissue.  Something wasn't sitting right with me, had this horrible cough and of course started thinking the worst,so i went to BS for reassurance.  She sono'd the scar tissue, agreed I ripped the tissue while exercising but needle biopsied it for me just so I can feel confident it was nothing…well, thank G-D she did that! I am scheduled for lumpectomy next week probably followed by chemo and radiation….this is not what we planned for the summer vacation.

• youngturknyc
    youngturknyc Member Posts: 115
    edited May 2014
    Options

hi Basia,

I am also in NYC with 9 year old twins. I am so sorry you are experiencing a recurrence. It sounds like it is a local recurrence, so hopefully it will be treated just like last time.  Although it is really hard, this too shall pass. My best to you, and welcome to the thread.

• Gonein40
    Gonein40 Member Posts: 76
    edited May 2014
    Options

Basia so sorry about your re accurance. It's not a nice place to be in your life I'm sure. But on the good side. This is a wonderful place to meet and to share things.  Hugs. 

• Goldie8469
    Goldie8469 Member Posts: 59
    edited May 2014
    Options

Basia,

You must be shocked. I am so sorry for this. Wow. 

I have been having high blood pressure and anxiety. I think of cancer every day.

I wish I didn't. I have my expander put back in next week and my port removed.

Has anyone else noticed high blood pressure after chemo?  I never had this before and it sucks.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,057
    edited May 2014
    Options

Sorry to jump in, but we hope you don't mind us asking.....

We want to honor our young BCO members in our next Newsletter and on our website (http://www.breastcancer.org/community/members)!

If you were DIAGNOSED with breast cancer under the age of 35, and wouldn’t mind us featuring you in our community and website, please private message us a few paragraphs with your story: e.g. your diagnosis, your challenges, your strengths, inspirations and anything else you would like to share. Also, we appreciate you including a high-quality photograph of yourself, either alone or with others. Thank you! Your stories will help encourage future young women facing breast cancer! 

• Swimmom2
    Swimmom2 Member Posts: 43
    edited May 2014
    Options

hi everyone- I have a question that maybe one of you knows the answer. If I am braca-negative with DCIS, do I have any increased risk of ovarian cancer? I know braca positive is associated with increased risk but was wondering if ANY breast cancer increased your risk as well.  Thanks and I hope everyone is doing well. 

• Basia
    Basia Member Posts: 345
    edited May 2014
    Options

Goldie, I think the high blood pressure is normal, especially after chemo.  I always had very low blood pressure and mine went into the normal range while in treatment, but went back down over time.  

• youngturknyc
    edited May 2014
    Options

swimmom,

I am brca negative. i had my ovaries removed because i could not take tamoxifen. My gynecological onc told me that I had 5 times more risk of ovarian cancer than the general population just by virtue of having had breast cancer.  I believe the general population has a 1 percent risk so my risk was about 5 percent.  Obviously being brca positive increases this risk a lot more.

• Swimmom2
    Swimmom2 Member Posts: 43
    edited May 2014
    Options

thanks young Turk - I need to find out more, but you've given me a good place to start. 

• Lina999
    Lina999 Member Posts: 15
    edited May 2014
    Options

Hello all,

I wanted to say hello.  I turned 40 last October and was diagnosed with bc in March of this year. I have a three year old and a five year and a supportive DH. I am grateful to find these discussion threads also and to have the opportunity to share strength and support with all of you!

I had a lumpectomy on 5/1/14 and my Oncotype DX score came back at a 19, which was higher then what everyone thought it would be so they are letting me choose if I have chemo treatments. I will definitely have rads no matter what, followed by tamoxifen. I hope to have a decision made this week so we can move forward. I am exhausted from all of the research and focus on c!  

I hope everyone is doing well and feeling strong. Sending best wishes to all!

• JoTro
    JoTro Member Posts: 25
    edited May 2014
    Options

Hi Lina, I had to choose whether to do Chemo or not too, hardest decision of my life... SE's have been quite manageable, although I'm pleased to be finished.  I always felt that if I had a reoccurrence that I would feel bad about skipping it now.  That's just my personal feeling though.  Many many women choose to just go lightly and recover well into remission, ultimately the choice is yours. I also have found these boards a fantastic support.  Good luck.

• Momof3GreatKids
    Momof3GreatKids Member Posts: 285
    edited May 2014
    Options

Lina -  Welcome to this group. I had a similar choice oncotype score and my MO gave me the choice between light and all out chemo given I had cancer cells in one node although not enough cells to move me to stage IIA. I asked her what she would do if she were in my shoes and she said she would go all out. Taking all this into consideration and feeling I needed to do all that I could I ended up doing the all out chemo. Although it was not easy I felt it was not awful either. I was even allergic to the taxol chemo and had to spend 4 separate nights in the hospital as a result. I am not trying to scare you with this and want you to know that my reactions are rare, but given all I went through I do not regret my decision to do it again if needed. I even worked all through the 5 1/2 months of chemo only missing an additional 1 1/2 days due to SE other that time away due to appointments and trestment days. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. And remember everyone makes different choices and there is never a wrong choice. Good luck to you with whatever you choose. 

• momwriter
    momwriter Member Posts: 276
    edited May 2014
    Options

Hi, 

I wondered if anyone here is taking a daily baby aspirin? I had bought some but haven't been good about taking it (I already take daily tamoxifen, vitamin D, Calcium, Magnesium, CQ10, Multivitamin,). But now I am going to take one every day and wish I had been. Hester Hill Schnipper, oncology social worker at Beth Israel in Boston who had breast cancer and  who has the blog "Living with Breast Cancer" recommends that everyone take it now. 

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/20/opinion/a-cancer...

I find that almost four months after I've finished Herceptin and a year after I've been done with radiation I'm nervous about recurrence . But I try not to be nervous because that's not how I want to live! Sigh.

Lina, it's harder when you're the one who has to decide chemo or not.  Good luck!!

• youngturknyc
    edited May 2014
    Options

mom writer,

I am taking it as per onc's recommendation.

• youngturknyc
    edited May 2014
    Options

the only 2 things my onc recommended are the daily aspirin and vitamin d

• youngturknyc
    edited May 2014
    Options

other than femara of course!

• Jenwith4kids
    Jenwith4kids Member Posts: 216
    edited May 2014
    Options

Hi everyone,  I'd like to join in.  I'm 47, with four kids,,,,10, 12, 14 and 15. I was diagnosed in early January, BMX with expanders in February, chemo started in March (finished AC, thank goodness), just had Taxol 2 today.  Radiation in August and September and then I will wait however long for my exchange.  It's been quite an emotional ride.  The emotions have been, for me, harder than the physical aspect.  Better loving through pharma, I'm ok with that, and take my Ativan liberally. Winking

I am looking for a little help.  My 15 year old daughter is having a hard time.  She does not want counseling - though she frequently sees the school social worker one on one (his wife is a survivor) and he has been terrific for her.  What she really want is a peer to talk to.  Someone going through this NOW.

The local support group is made up mostly if younger kids and teens who only show up some times.  We haven't  hit it right yet.  Does anybody have a daughter who might be willing to pen-pal (email, text, kik, whatever it is they do these days)??  She is a freshman in NJ (location doesn't really matter though).  I figure it couldn't hurt to ask.

Thanks!  RegRdless, I am looking forward to joining this group.

Jen

• Lina999
    Lina999 Member Posts: 15
    edited May 2014
    Options

Hey all,

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences!  I know it is a very individual decision but it really helps me to hear others who have gone through similar decision making process. I think I have come to the decision that I am not going to do chemo.  I like to believe that I would get lucky and get through it with "minimal" side effects...but I also used to think I would never get cancer. For me and my situation, I feel like the side effects could outweigh the potential benefits. That means I will start radiation in two weeks. I do think I am much more equipped to handle that but tonight will start looking into what to expect.  I am hopeful and feel good about my decision and feel so much better to be moving forward again with something.  

Thanks for sharing the baby aspirin. I have not heard that anywhere but will be sure to ask. 

Jenwith4kids- I am in Va. now but originally from Jersey. I'll see if I know anyone with a similar situation and message you. 

Best wishes to all!

• aff
    aff Member Posts: 33
    edited May 2014
    Options

Hi Ladies,

I'm 44 and was diagnosed in Dec. I started chemo in Dec and finished May 2. I am scheduled for UMX with DIEP on June 6. Radiation will follow surgery.

I've just started reading about aspirin and plan to ask my MO about it

Lina - happy for you that you have made a decision that you feel good about

Basia - so sorry to read about your recurrence, so glad you were persistent about getting the diagnosis

Jen - I wish I could help but my oldest is 12 and he has a difficult time opening up to anyone about anything. I hope someone can jump in to help support your daughter.

Thanks to all for being a great source of comfort during this incredibly difficult journey!

• Jenwith4kids
    Jenwith4kids Member Posts: 216
    edited May 2014
    Options

thank you!

• LakeGirl2
    LakeGirl2 Member Posts: 22
    edited May 2014
    Options

Momwriter, 

I take a baby aspirin too. I have some genetic blood clotting factors but never have had a clot, so tamox deemed OK for me. I have been taking both since September and have just started noticing some bruising.

• bluewillowskys
    bluewillowskys Member Posts: 268
    edited May 2014
    Options

Just had my first MRI....and the news today is they found something on my left side.....last time it was my right. OH JOY. So it looks like im starting a ride on the cancer coaster this summer again. Im so sick of this b^$%% attacking my family. My mom has a thyroid recurrence, my cousin had salivary gland cancer surgery last week....mom is going for a second diagnostic mammo June 11th.Its time to crush this b&*(^ and be done with it. If the biopsy is positive Im pretty certain i will do the mastectomy....i dont think i can do 6wks of rads again ....that was exhausting. 

• Monis
    Monis Member Posts: 309
    edited May 2014
    Options

Bluewillowskys,

So sorry you're going through this again!  Hope it turns out to be nothing to worry about.  Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

• aff
    aff Member Posts: 33
    edited May 2014
    Options

Bluewillowskys - sending prayers and good thoughts your way

• youngturknyc
    edited May 2014
    Options

So sorry about this bluewillowskys. I hope it is a negative biopsy.

• bluewillowskys
    edited May 2014
    Options

thanks ladies....i hope this two week wait for the biopsy goes fast....

• momwriter
    momwriter Member Posts: 276
    edited May 2014
    Options

Bluewillowskys,

So sorry. I'm crossing my fingers that it has nothing to with the Beast. 2 weeks is too long to wait! Big Hug to you!

• bluewillowskys
    edited May 2014
    Options

thank you....i really need to vent so please excuse me......

right now im feeling highly emotional....very angry and sad.....i dont think i can go through these "scares" every few years....Im not mentally/emotionally strong enough to do it. I suffer from OCD, depression and anxiety/panic disorder and I just was feeling good for first time in about 6 months when this comes along and whammy ! Im thrown right back into Spring 2011 when I went through this the first time.All those old emotions are flooding my mind. I dont know if i can keep looking over my shoulder for another 30-45 years of my life. All the time I spend worrying about cancer coming back Im not actually living and enjoying my life. I dont want to spend my life wondering when the shoe will drop. The first time I wasnt given multiple options. If i had known i could have immediate recon i would have probably had the mastectomy....Now my right breast is damaged by the lumpectomy and rads and I cant get an implant as the PS says it is too risky. And now my left breast is starting crap with me too....im so effing piised off and sad:(