Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Ladies in their 40s

Options

Comments

• Alexmatay
    Alexmatay Member Posts: 32
    edited March 2014
    Options

orange mama: yay to the tumor being half the size! 

• Alexmatay
    edited March 2014
    Options

who drives home from work while listening to the "love" station on satellite radio & starts bawling when Kenny Rogers' Through The Years comes on.....this girl!!! Cancer has most definitely turned me into a weepy chick, damn it!!!

• springsoon
    springsoon Member Posts: 16
    edited March 2014
    Options

Going for the first time to the doctor today after my right breast mastectomy last Wednesday. Hoping and praying for the best news/ pathology results. He is going to remove my drainage. I called the office yesterday and they still did not have the pathology results, hope they will be in this afternoon. Enjoy your day ladies!

• shoppygirl
    shoppygirl Member Posts: 110
    edited March 2014
    Options

Good luck springsoon!  Thinking of you!  

Hugs!! 

• babyduck
    babyduck Member Posts: 32
    edited March 2014
    Options

orange mama so glad to hear the tumor is shrinking. I am doing chemo first. I haven't had an US but I can tell it is making a change. Helps my fellings so much!

Any of you have a feeling of rocking? MO thinks it's not the fatigue and inner ear but it comes and goes and seems to be when I am most fatigued....

• Alexmatay
    edited March 2014
    Options

Lots of luck today Springsoon

• oranje_mama
    oranje_mama Member Posts: 79
    edited March 2014
    Options

springsoon, let us know how it turns out. Good luck!

• Coolhart
    Coolhart Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2014
    Options

hi Ladies..wanted to introduce myself..I was diagnosed 2/24 with ILC < 1 cm on pathology report/ultrasound ( although MRI showed 1.6 but they weren't sure if it was due to inflammation from biopsy or it was measuring it's " legs" ) anyways..Grade 1 ..surgery for Double Mastectomy is April 9 ...I'm 41 2 kids (10,8) and am just ready to get on with it! I'm going tomorrow for CT scan and bone thing on Friday..the oncologist is doing it to calm me..I was telling her how paranoid I am about every ache and pain..

Just wanted to introduce myself..glad to have a place where everyone understands...

• cancerisnotmyhappyplace
    cancerisnotmyhappyplace Member Posts: 6
    edited March 2014
    Options

Coolhart- welcome to the group. I am also 41 with kids 11,9, and 8 years old.  Until chemo starts this process is a roller coaster of emotions, anxiety, and frustrations. But it is a treatable disease. There is great information and support here. Sorry you have to join us, but I hope you find some comfort.

• everforward
    everforward Member Posts: 57
    edited March 2014
    Options

Hello. Although I dislike the phrase "middle age," I much prefer "Ladies in their 40s" so thank you for creating this topic. I am 42 and was diagnosed with Stage 1 IDC a couple months ago. I am single, live alone, and work full time. My family is on the other side of the country, but will come if/when I need them. But the fact is that I will be dealing with the majority of my treatment on my own. I am fortunate to have an understanding employer and a few good friends. But I hesitate to impose upon my friends who have young children. Any other single women in their 40s who are in a similar situation?

• springsoon
    edited March 2014
    Options

Hello Ladies (thank you oranje_mama for asking),

Finally got the pathology results this afternoon. I was hoping for
    better news but at the same time I am relieved it is not worse. The
    diagnosis is stage IIb because of the lymph node involvement. Even my
    surgeon was surprised that there are 3 out of 6 axillary nodes involved
    based on their "fresh and healthy" appearance during the surgery.
    Microscopic cells found in sentinel node as well (that's why doctor
    removed six other). The cancer size: 3cm, grade 3 (more aggressive than
    they originally thought), ER and PR positive, HER2 negative. I am
    getting ready for chemo and will meet with my oncologist within the next
    few days, so I will know more. My doctor is placing mediport (never
    heard about it before) while prepping for chemo.

Best wishes to you

• oranje_mama
    edited March 2014
    Options

Springsoon, I'm sure it's overwhelming but at least now you know. I have a port - also had it put in before my first chemo. It felt very weird getting it placed. I had little pain and no difficulties with it, but it just feels weird at first to have this thing under your skin & to place it there is a lot of tugging/pulling (and tapping into your jugular) that feels bizarre. All that said, I'm very glad to have it. It saves your veins & makes blood draws and chemo a snap.  It really doesn't bother me at all anymore. I don't know if you care about placement/scar, but I wore a bra into the OR and the doc basically traced the strap & placed the port neatly in that space. Both scar-wise & clothing wise now, it does not show. I know some people (smaller or more skinny) don't always have the option to place it more out if the way and end up with it closer to the collar bone. I got the tip about the bra from these boards so thought I'd share.

Everforward, I am also in DC, also 42, getting treatment at Johns Hopkins/suburban.  My neighbors have been so helpful/supportive. I am a very independent person & it is hard for me to ask for help. But people really do want to help - if they offer, don't second-guess (thinking they are too busy, etc). It takes a different kind of strength to ask for help. You know you would do the same if the tables are turned.  That said, I think the reality of this crappy disease and treatment is that you are mostly alone even when there are lots of people around. I know that I spend a week+ after chemo in my house, not really well enough to do more than a few hours work each day, spending quite a bit if time lying in bed, not having that much interaction with people (and I've got a husband, 2 kids, and an au pair in my home!) I don't want to go on and on with my litany of complaints about SEs to the people around me. These boards are a really good place to vent!

• Stenokim
    Stenokim Member Posts: 76
    edited March 2014
    Options

Another newbie here.  Diagnosed 12/9/13, had single MX on 12/15/13, no reconstruction for me.  1/12 positive lymph nodes.  I had no radiation and oncotype was a 14, so no chemo.  I was told by RO and MO that I have an old lady cancer.  KI 67 of a 3.  I'm 48 now, have a 16 yr old daughter and a great husband and hopefully I'm not aged way beyond my years since I have an old lady cancer. Ha. no family history either.  Had a lump since I was 18.  I was always told it was a fibrous cyst, though never had mammogram. No one suggested it until I was 40, my bad, never had one.   Moved 10 years ago and never got a new doc.  I developed heartburn (thank god) in Nov. of '13 and decided to get a physical, mammo, cholesterol, the works, and that's when they found mine.  Of course I new the lump was there, so I didn't think it was a big deal until I had to get the biopsy and then the BC diagnosis.  What a shocker.  I've been on tamoxifen for two months with no side effects except for no period the past two months. Oh darn!  I do have some pain that I can't seem to get rid of, actually seems to be getting worse. It's where my drains were on my side and around to my back. I'm going to a therapist next week for lymph edema. Don't know if that's it or not. My arm is fine, just the back area.  Nice to meet all of you!

• Macintx
    Macintx Member Posts: 24
    edited March 2014
    Options

Stenokim, did your insurance pay for your Oncotype testing?  Were you pre- or post-menopausal? I assume that since you said a SE of the Tamoxifen was no period that you were pre-menopausal.  I was told by my MO and my insurance company I didn't qualify for Oncotype testing because I didn't meet the eligibility requirements.  So, chemo for me.  Your Dx notes at the bottom show you were like me as far as ER+/HER2, node positive, over 45, Stage II IDC, etc.  Just wondering if you were covered for the testing.

• cancerisnotmyhappyplace
    cancerisnotmyhappyplace Member Posts: 6
    edited March 2014
    Options

Welcome to all the new ladies.  

Stenokim glad to hear you are doing well on Tamoxifen. I think overlooking mammos is common. Especially if you don't have other medical issues and don't screen for probelms. But I am glad they found it. 

Springsoon-  I just had my pirt placed and it was very uncomfortable thefirst day but and ice pack helped. A bit better today.  Seatbelts feel uncomfortsble over the site however. I am hoping that gets better. 

Oranje mama and EverForward-  I am a bit farther out from you but drive to Bethesda several days a week for my treatment and appointments.  There is a Norther VA/DC group on this site thatmeets for lunches. They are too far for me but might work for you. I agree with taking up people on their offers to help. I am also looking forward to helping others after I am finished with treatment. I would love to be on that side of the helping hand, but am thankful for the helpers now. 

• placid44
    placid44 Member Posts: 179
    edited March 2014
    Options

Everforward,

I'm 45 and was 44 when diagnosed. I'm in Arlington, single, working full time. I don't know whether you attend a church, but they were the most helpful to me during treatment, taking me to chemo, etc. Let me know if you have questions about my experience. 

My blog (see below) is intended to be informational, not personal, and includes some local resources,such as where to buy a wig. 

Also there is a bco thread for northern Virginia women and we get together for lunch the first Saturday of every month. That has been very helpful. Let me know or check out the thread if you want to join us.

• placid44
    placid44 Member Posts: 179
    edited March 2014
    Options

Also hello to you, Oranje.

I had treatment at inova (bs, onc, RO) , except my ps is from Georgetown.

• springsoon
    edited March 2014
    Options

Hello Ladies,

First day of spring but snow flurries here in Michigan! I was reading carefully my pathology report from the mastectomy that I had on March 12th and noticed that they reported margins as well. It was puzzling to me because I thought it is more important for lumpectomy. Can anyone recommend any link or know more about it? According to the report margins are clear around my IDC but positive with DCIS around my DCIS (I had both). My surgeon did not suggest any need for further operation and said that the surgery was successful. Any thoughts???

• Stenokim
    edited March 2014
    Options

Mac, insurance covered 80%, we paid the rest.  My husband researched and heard about the oncotype, so we asked for it; however, BS didn't order it because I had one positive node, to the aggravation of the MO who then ordered it but we had a two week longer wait for results.  She was convinced that I wouldn't need chemo even before onco, with the low KI 67, and the onco came back that I'd get a 1% benefit from chemo.  And yes, I am pre menopausal.  My MO said tam won't put me in menopause, that I will still have periods or symptoms of periods without the bleeding. She explained the medical/science part of it but I can't remember it now. Something with the uterus.  All I know is no bleeding is fine with me.  :). I also think my mood is so much more stable on the tamoxifen. No downer feelings around my period anymore, just smooth happy sailing!  Genomic health will work out a payment plan for you if insurance doesn't cover the onco. 

• everforward
    everforward Member Posts: 57
    edited March 2014
    Options

thanks for pointing out the northern VA/DC group. I will follow up on that.

• Orange73
    Orange73 Member Posts: 2,154
    edited March 2014
    Options

Thought I would post 40 I am. I started everything at 38. I had a crying attack yesterday they want to take the ovaries im BRACA 2 no kids yet. I thinkits hard when we are young.40s are th enew 30s. I feel young and my body has been through alot and its my mind now catching up on everything that happened and still needs to happen. It seems most of you had children, then the ovaries out I need to do research on ovaries being taken out.

• youngturknyc
    youngturknyc Member Posts: 115
    edited March 2014
    Options

welcome all the new ladies.

Orange73 - you may have choices to preserve your eggs before you take out your ovaries. I had already had kids so I did not research egg preservation when i had my ooph but I believe there are many threads on BCO as well with respect to this topic.

• Macintx
    edited March 2014
    Options

Thanks for the info Stenokim.  I guess the Oncotype is a moot point now since I have already had 2 chemo rounds already.  I think the reason my MO wanted to go ahead and do the chemo was because the tumor in my 1 positive lymph node was just as big as the one in my breast.   And as for the BRCA, my MO doesn't think it's necessary anyway, even if insurance paid for it, because it is very unlikely that I have the mutation given that I don't fall under the risk categories.  If any other person in my family gets breast cancer, then my daughter would likely be covered to be tested, at least there's that.

• oranje_mama
    edited March 2014
    Options

Macintx, just curious why you decided not to get the BRCA test even though it was covered by insurance?  I also think it very unlikely that I have a BRCA mutation since there is no BC in my family, but I thought getting the test to be sure would make sense.  The genetics counselor did not think it likely that I have the BRCA mutation but also not impossible, mainly because my grandmother died of "stomach cancer" (which many years ago might have been called stomach by family but really could have been ovarian or pancreatic) and my uncle (same side of family) has had prostate cancer (also a risk factor).  I found these Sloan Kettering videos on genetics really helpful/informative:

http://www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/counseling-suppo...

• BayouBabe
    BayouBabe Member Posts: 1,467
    edited March 2014
    Options

Not to scare anyone, but I had no history of breast cancer in my family.  Went for the genetics counseling  due to younger age at diagnosis.  They felt very strongly that I would be negative.  Surprise, surprise!  BRCA1+.  You just never know, and good to be informed.  Glad I did the testing.  

• Macintx
    edited March 2014
    Options

Oranje, the BRCA test isn't covered by my insurance because I don't fall into any risk categories.  If I paid for it myself, it would be about $3000.  The only cancer on either side of my extended family was my dad who had Colon and Prostate Cancer in his 70's.

• Stenokim
    edited March 2014
    Options

Mac, same scenario here for the BRCA test.  I didn't get that one either.  How are you doing with the chemo?  I hope SEs are at a minimum for you.  How positive were you on your Er/pr?  I was 85 and 95%, again with the very low KI 67, and a tiny amount in the sentinel node.  Wish she wouldn't have removed 11 more, as I think I have lymph edema in my back, not my arm. Going to therapist Wednesday regarding that.  My BS said the puffiness back there was back fat, however I don't have "back fat" on the other side.  Plus I weigh a whopping 100 lbs, so not much fat, except typical 48 yr old jiggly thighs.  

• oranje_mama
    edited March 2014
    Options

I guess I should be more appreciative of my insurance (Aetna).  They cover the genetics test simply because of diagnosis at a young age (42). 

• JerseyMomOf3
    JerseyMomOf3 Member Posts: 7
    edited March 2014
    Options

Hi everyone, I am new here- posted an introduction a couple weeks ago- I'm 45.  It has been a diagnostic roller coaster for me since Sept. After all the imaging and core biopsies, I  had the excisional biopsies in two areas of my right breast on Feb. 11 and the dx was 3 foci DCIS (low grade), extensive ADH, FEA, and LCIS in two locations. After reading the slides, the Pathologist found my BS in the hospital cafeteria and told her he was concerned about my path and that he thought more cancer could be found in the breast. A bilateral was recommended to me by my BS ( she actually said "no brainer") the surgical nurse, and my gynecologist, who has been a wonderful support through this. Had the BRCA testing and all negative. (Small family but my paternal aunt has had breast and uterine cancers.)

So I then met with 2 plastic surgeons. I also saw another BS at a different but also highly regarded hospital for a second opinion, also because she is the BS of choice for the plastic surgeon that I am interested in using. Her hospital did a pathology second opinion and disagreed with the first, stating no DCIS only ADH. My slides then went to Memorial Sloan Kettering where they were reviewed by Dr. Brogi, director of breast pathology. She also brought my slides to one of her colleagues blind, for another independent opinion. They both determined 3 sites of DCIS and felt there may likely be more in the breast. In the meantime i had also seen a medical oncologist at another hospital who had come highly recommended, and was so glad I did. She took such a personal interest and called Sloan Kettering everyday this week so she could get me the results before the weekend, and she called me at 8:30 in the morning today (Saturday) from the airport where she was boarding a plane to tell me the results. If that isn't dedication to patients I don't know what is, it truly moves me to tears. So I have had the benefit of 4 different pathology opinions, 3 agree with the DCIS findings. 

• Gonein40
    Gonein40 Member Posts: 76
    edited March 2014
    Options

jersey wow sounds like ur in good hands. Good luck w everything.  Great place to find lots of support n healing.