Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Ladies in their 40s

Options

Comments

• Rissy973
    Rissy973 Member Posts: 7
    edited March 2019
    Options

thank you. I have one more question which is did you follow the original suggestion if your surgeon after diagnosed? The more I seem to read up on grade 3 the more concerned I am that a lumpectomy will not be enough. That was what was recommended to me and surgeon said there was no need for mastectomy. I don’t know if it’s just cold feet before surgery but I don’t want to later think I wish I’d done things different. Did anyone else question their surgery on whether it was enough?

• Mncteach
    Mncteach Member Posts: 241
    edited March 2019
    Options

I had a second opinion only because my local area didn't have a plastic surgeon and if I wanted reconstruction immediately I needed to go to another hospital. Grade 3 does change things but I also am Grade 3 and was told lumpectomy was fine. I chose a different route because we found other suspicious spots and I didn't want to be worried about them as well. With hormone receptor positive status (I am triple negative) that also is a good indicator for lumpectomy since you can do other treatments. If you have any concerns, please see if you can get a 2nd opinion to set your mind at ease.

• brinkofeternity
    brinkofeternity Member Posts: 181
    edited March 2019
    Options

Rissy973 - Originally I was going to get a lumpectomy with radiation because I was more worried about the cancer spreading via the lymph nodes than anything else. I was sure I felt pain in my armpit and all. At the end however I went with mastectomy because they found another DCIS on the same breast via MRI. Since my sentinel lymph nodes were clear from the surgery,I didn’t need radiation after all. And I don’t feel anything in my armpit anymore. Guess it was hemotoma from biopsies or pyschological. Anyhow I’m at peace with my decision. You can express your concerns with your surgeon and see what she would recommend.

• CC2016
    CC2016 Member Posts: 94
    edited March 2019
    Options

Rissy - I didn't worry about a second opinion for the surgery. Just get it out was my opinion, and then they can do all the testing on the tumor once it's out an make further treatment plans. Have you done genetic testing? Mine came back BRCA negative but Chek2 positive meaning I had a mutation but they didn't know what kind and if it was cancer related. I still chose to go with the lumpectomy as I can always go back and do a full mastectomy if need be. When going through all this why put your body through even more trauma when it's not really necessary? Someone said that at some point and I tended to grab onto that theory. I was grade 2/3 ish... lots of my diagnosis didn't fit in a column. Once the full path is done things become more clearer...promise. I did get a second opinion on treatment as that is so much more of a process...and it really did set my mind at peace, almost immediately, just hearing another voice say the same thing. It really does come down to finding your peace. Best wishes in your decisions.

• brinkofeternity
    edited March 2019
    Options

Hi ladies, for those of you who have done unilateral DIEP, how long did you wait before going back to work? I recovered rather quickly from my UMX and am wondering whether I’ll really need the full 6-8 weeks to recover.

• pebblesv
    pebblesv Member Posts: 486
    edited March 2019
    Options

Hi rissy - lumpectomy or mastectomy depends more of the size of the tumor than the grade. If the tumor is small enough that you can do a lumpectomy, that is often preferred as that’s more breast conserving and a more minor surgery than a mastectomy.

It’s your own personal preference. For me I was more relieved that I had the option to do a lumpectomy (some people don’t) as I care about things like preserving my natural breast, not needing reconstruction which is a whole other surgery, and having a simpler surgery that was associated with less recovery time and less risk of lymphedema and other things.

• garnersuz77
    garnersuz77 Member Posts: 36
    edited March 2019
    Options

Hi Rissy973,

I am also 41 and was diagnosed in November of last year. These decisions are all so hard! I had to have a 2nd lumpectomy due to not getting clean margins during the first. I was certain I wanted a mastectomy after learning about the positive margins but my surgeon (and then a 2nd opinion surgeon) convinced me that I would be better off with the less invasive surgery so that my body could heal faster and I could start radiation sooner. This recommendation was due to my positive node and the greater risk being spread outside of the breast in the nodes. You will likely have a SLN biopsy with your lumpectomy which will then give you more information about the best next step for you.

Outside of the surgery decision there is no reason why you can't be setting up a second opinion now too. If you can an NCI center is preferred. They will likely review your tumor tissue again using their own pathologists so you can arrange for it to be shared with the 2nd institution. I did this (and I do not think this is usual) but the 2nd opinion center pathologist found an additional 4mm of IDC that my center's missed. Even more serious I have heard of 2nd opinion pathologists changing HR and HER status too. They are all human and a 2nd set of expert eyes is so important.

• Rissy973
    Rissy973 Member Posts: 7
    edited March 2019
    Options

thank you everyone for the suggestions and experiences. I spoke with the PA at my surgeons office this morning who has been like my lifeline thru this whole ordeal and she explained why the lumpectomy was suggested but that ultimately the decision was mine to make. We spent some time on the phone discussing my findings so far and my options and she told me to take tonight to discuss with my husband and let her know in the morning. It was a talk that I think I needed to make me feel more secure. I know I'm only at the start of a long process but that whatever I end up deciding is what's right for me and I can't second guess it.

• AMLMom
    AMLMom Member Posts: 16
    edited March 2019
    Options

Hi, I’m here. Diagnosed at 45. Over 9cm is DCIS; one small invasive tumour < 1cm and >10 areas of microinvasion. 3.5 months from diagnosis to surgery. Original mammogram diagnosis was 1cm of DCIS. Highlights the importance of more testing for women with dense breasts I chose lumpectomy with oncoplasy (breast reconstruction using remaining tissue and lift). My good breast will be reduced to match once I am done radiation.

Best wishes to all!

• hpfull
    hpfull Member Posts: 65
    edited March 2019
    Options

Rissy welcome and so sorry you have to go through this. I did not get a second opinion, but I trusted my BS and was just kind of on rote and thinking let's get this over with. I had a similar surgery and did radiation; tomorrow is my last day of radiation yay! I think the part you are going through right now, and then after surgery waiting for the pathology is the hardest, and then for me it got easier. I think the waiting is the hardest part. Sending a gentle hug 

• 2002chickadee
    2002chickadee Member Posts: 79
    edited March 2019
    Options

BrinkofEternity, I had a UMX with immediate DIEP reconstruction, and took 5 weeks off from work to recover. It may be less if you're not doing them at the same time. The abdomen takes a while to heal. There are some good DIEP threads if you want to read more!

• brinkofeternity
    edited March 2019
    Options

Thank you chickadee2002! My PS had told me 6-8 weeks for recovery and I was wondering if it’s a bit too much. 5 weeks sound more in line with what I was thinking!

• applejuice
    applejuice Member Posts: 49
    edited March 2019
    Options

Rissy973 did your surgeon suggest an MRI to get more details about the tumor ? I was initially diagnosed with < 1cm IDC and after MRI, it was determined that i had another DCIS larger than the first tumor. This made me decide to go with mastectomy.

• 2002chickadee
    2002chickadee Member Posts: 79
    edited March 2019
    Options

I noticed something funny this morning that I thought ladies in this thread might relate to. I had whole breast/chest/clavicle radiation in December, since then most of the skin in that area peeled off, has been pretty healed up and normal since February. I have a fair amount of wrinkling in my chest — more than my face, probably less diligent about sunscreen etc there. But I realized the right sides if my chest is way less wrinkled than the left side now! It’s like I had some fancy laser dermatology treatment that reduces winkles 😂

• garnersuz77
    garnersuz77 Member Posts: 36
    edited March 2019
    Options

Haha! Thanks Chickadee :-) I'm starting radiation in April and now have that silver lining to think about.

• hpfull
    hpfull Member Posts: 65
    edited March 2019
    Options

that's awesome chickadee. My friend had mouth cancer and they radiated a portion of her face. Her skin lookssooooo good now like she had peel. Nice to have some positive side effects

• castigame
    castigame Member Posts: 336
    edited March 2019
    Options

If I may add, combined w lymph node removal on both arms, radiation fried hair follicles in my armpits. Left arm which was not radiated have very sparse hairs. Right armpit is really smooth. I love it.

• anamaeted
    anamaeted Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2019
    Options

I am 48 and was diagnosed 2 days after my birthday last July. There is no cancer in my family at all. I was the first one. I had a choice of lumpectomy, but due to there being 2 tumors, it would have taken quite a large piece to get it all, I opted for mastectomy. I did not want to worry about them getting it all. My snb was clear, but I received 35 radiation treatments. I finished those 3 weeks ago. The only thing I worry about now is getting Lymphedema and my next mammogram. The choice of what type of surgery is depending on your personal situation and if you are not sure if what yor surgeon is saying is best, then by all means, get a second opinion. This is your body, your choice and you should be making the final decision based on how you feel. We are stronger than they give us credit. Good luck to all you ladies.

• acarpenter
    acarpenter Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2019
    Options

In March of 2019, at the age of 46, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative Breast Cancer.. I am currently undergoing chemotherapy. I am taking chemo first and will have surgery once I finish all treatments. I had the option of lumpectomy or mastectomy. I knew right away that I would choose a double mastectomy with reconstruction. The hard part for me after the initial diagnosis was coming to terms with the unknown, the side effects and what the next several months were going to bring. Chemo in itself is very scary. Luckily I have done very well so far and pray the next 12 weeks go as smoothly as possible. I am still having a hard time with the hair loss. I don't know if you ever get use to seeing yourself without hair. I just have to keep reminding myself that it is temporary. My prayers for strength go out to all of you.

• Mncteach
    Mncteach Member Posts: 241
    edited June 2019
    Options

I actually forget I am bald until I look in a mirror or see the odd look.... it’s a hard row and I hope everyone is doing well!

• paloma1211
    paloma1211 Member Posts: 95
    edited July 2019
    Options

Hi Ladies! I’m pre-menopausal (age 48), but holy HOT FLASHES! Not sure if they are a sign of impending menopause or a side effect of the tchp. Any insight

• brinkofeternity
    edited July 2019
    Options

Paloma1211 - I started having hot flashes after I started chemo too. They got better with acupuncture and after I finished chemo, but got stronger after I went on Tamoxifen. I suppose this is going to be a fact of life for us...

• paloma1211
    edited July 2019
    Options

Thanks for the acupuncture tip (no pun intended) BrinkofEternity. I’m going to look into that. Maybe it will help with my fluid retention, too. And maybe with SEs from rads? I start radiation in August. Not looking forward to that

• Spoonie77
    Spoonie77 Member Posts: 532
    edited July 2019
    Options

Acupuncture really helped me with my SEs from RADs, from Breast LE, and from my SEs while on Tamoxifen (hot flashes/migraines/insomnia).

Good luck! May it help you as much as it helped me, I swear some days it kept me from losing my mind.

• pebblesv
    edited July 2019
    Options

Paloma - I’m 43 and got through radiation fine (a very full 33 doses!) which barely any SEs. My advice - lotion, lotion, lotion. Miaderm and Acquaphor are life savers, and I would apply Miaderm immediately after my treatment (along with motioning morning and night). Stay hydrated and stay positive!

RE: hot flashes, likely more intense with chemo, as I am in tamoxifen but did not need chemo and hot flashes are very minor for me. I get a little warmer, maybe need to let fresh air in, but no sweating and it’s only at night in the few hours after I take tamoxifen and that’s it.

Not sure if or when you are starting tamoxifen but my advice is to not start it until a month after radiation. Your body has been through a lot and it’s good to let it heal before introducing the next thing. I did this following the path of other women on the boards who were faring pretty well on tamoxifen and it worked for them and it’s working for me so far.

Best of luck

• paloma1211
    edited July 2019
    Options

Thank you for sharing your experience, PebblesV. I’m hoping to slide on through. I will likely go on Tamoxifen, but not sure if I have to finish my Herceptin/Kadcyla first. My MO will guide me, and I appreciate your advice. I hope you’re feeling well

• pebblesv
    edited July 2019
    Options

Paloma - today almost a year after this whole thing started for me, I’m feeling great. You WILL get through this too! My journey isn’t over yet either but I take it one day at a time and today is good.

Oh and my little Domino became ESA certified and was able to accompany me to radiation therapy! She hung out with the therapists watching the computers while I was getting treated. It wasn’t a huge help emotionally, here’s a pic to help you through too!

• Walden1
    Walden1 Member Posts: 110
    edited December 2019
    Options

My MO wants to switch me from Zoladex to buserelin, for ovarian suppression. Anyone else using buserelin? What can I expect?

• roareus
    roareus Member Posts: 68
    edited December 2019
    Options

Hello...

I have not been here for a long time and unfortunately, it seems like I only come here when I am scared.. I am constantly feeling my breasts because I am afraid I will miss something. On Saturday Night, early Sunday Morning, I squeezed my left nipple and a drop of blood came out. Nothing on the cancer side, my right side. So, needless to say, I am worried about the worst. I am scared that it may be back. All I can think about is my elderly parents, husband, and my sweet 8 year old twins. I am going to see the NP tomorrow. HELP!!

• pebblesv
    edited December 2019
    Options

ROAREUS - it could be any number of things. Did you make an appointment to get it checked out? Either way you will be fine. It could be completely non-cancer related. If it’s cancer, you beat this once and can beat it again. Whatever you find out, you are going to be fine. And we are here for you. Please keep us posted.