Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Tips, Tricks and How to get through this Chit!

Options

Comments

• Tomboy
    Tomboy Member Posts: 2,700
    Options

if you are doing any kind of treatments in summer, if you can afford it, go to the sleep number store. there is some amazing sheets and pillowcases they have there, they actually DO and FEEL as advertised: stay much much MUCH cooler! and what they dont advertise, is how xtremely SOFT they are!!!  they are like your grandmothers sheets: beyond compare! like she had washed them many many times, so soft and cool! i have had mine for two summers now, i love em! this is a great thread!

• lilacblue
    lilacblue Member Posts: 1,425
    Options

I used for over the first year and after surgery that was so helpful -  a thick, soft, long (real - not fake) sheepskin seat belt cover.  Not only did it feel more comfortable across my chest it also displaces the weight and pull of the belt beautifully.  They velcro on/off easily to move from passenger to drivers side.  I found mine online and do make sure it's the real thing (as the fake sheepskin ones don't have the thickness and flatten quickly from use) and if it comes in two lengths, longer is better.

• Smaarty
    Smaarty Member Posts: 2,618
    Options

lilac, that's a great idea. I used one between my bmx and the TEs. Made riding or driving much more comfortable. Forgot about listing that. Thanks.

• 2nd_time_around
    2nd_time_around Member Posts: 14,084
    Options

until you get the seat belt cover, a small pillow (really small) or towel (like a dish towel) helps too

• FranfromFL
    FranfromFL Member Posts: 2
    Options

My surgeon said not to take a shower until my drain was removed.  For that time, I bought some adult size Certainty wet wipes.  They are sold at Walgreens.  There are 48 12" x 8" washcloths in the package which contain aloe, chamomile & vitamin E.  It's not as good as a shower but less messy and easier than taking a sponge bath and they do help you to feel refreshed.   

The local Breast Friends group gave me a wedge pillow before I left the hospital.  It helps to keep your back elevated which aids with drainage. 

• 2nd_time_around
    Options

ThumbsUp

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,879
    Options

Hi Smarrty, much needed ideas, but just found the thread. I have a history of locking myself out of the car. Particularly, when I'm thinking. Also, with the hearing loss I can't hear the car running. Solution: I have a very dressy, but simple chain, that I have a car key and a house key on it. The keys are on one of those extendable pull things. I put the chain end under the top. I call it my chaos chain. Between Dh and I we had 258 doc/ medical stuff visits in 2009. Basically, wore it the entire year. Now it's in purse always, depends on a given days circumstances if I wear it. Saved me innumerable times. Hugs :) sassy

• 2nd_time_around
    Options

ThumbsUp

• puffin2014
    puffin2014 Member Posts: 944
    Options

I'm 1 week after my first chemo, and my regular lip balm (Bert's Bees) started stinging, no wonder, it has peppermint oil in it. Pharmacist suggested Nivea's "The Kiss of Smoothness" with spf15, aloe and shay butter. It is sooo soft, not thick and sticky. I'm loving it.

When evaluating lip balms, pharmacist said I should stay away from anything that said medicated, had menthol or peppermint in it.

• barremom64
    barremom64 Member Posts: 122
    Options

My Can't live without item for a MX is "The Marsupial". I bought on AMAZON.  An Adjustable belt (velcro) that fastens around waist. It has TWO pockets or "pouches" that holds two JP drains each!  You can even shower with the belt (as permitted by your doctor) as it is Terry Cloth. No Pins to constantly fuss with. It was a lifesaver. Also check www.marsupialpouch.com, delivery was very quick as well. 

• ncollett
    ncollett Member Posts: 753
    Options

Is it ok to do massage after BC surgery? That would be awesome! I used alcohol wipes to strip my drain tubes and it really worked well. I also used a heart shaped pillow my mom made me under my arm to help with pain and comfort. I also took a laynard to use when I was in the shower and pined my drains to that.

• 2nd_time_around
    Options

ncollett, I would say to first ask your PS or BS, especially if you still have drains. Plus, be sure it's someone trained in a special post-mx massage. I did receive massages as part of PT, and was taught MLD (manual lymph drainage) techniques after SNB. Was so lucky I had a friend trained in post-mx massage but had to wait a couple months post mx. 

• Chrissy26
    Chrissy26 Member Posts: 10
    Options

I sure wish I had read this before I experienced the burn. This is common sense. Something I would have thought the MO or nurse would have advised before starting. Thank you for all future patients. 

• 2nd_time_around
    Options

bump

• Smaarty
    Options

someone know a tip on how to turn off your brain??  Back to driving myself crazy again. Have to research all the stuff on anatomical implants now.

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Play solitiare for two straight weeks.  Not a good plan actually. But just got done doing it. I'm fried and fired up. Eyes got wore out.

Seriously, prayer, meditation, a very happy hobby. Taking a break from all things medical. 

That's tough though when you are in the midst of problem solving. Hugs Smarrty, hope you find what you need in info :\ sassy

• redheeledwomen
    redheeledwomen Member Posts: 74
    Options

I use L glutamine powder for neuropathy.  Take four tablespoons mixed in 8-10 oz of water the day of chemo (about 2 hours before my chemo session) and later that evening and everyday for three days.  Make sure to get the 100% L Glutamine powder.  You can get it from Super Suppliments or any health food place.   Its very chalky so I mixed in MIO with my water.  My Naturopath (who works with the Cancer Center)  recommended I take it so that my quality of life wasn't effected.  She was right on with this recommendation.  The L glutamine works great and keeps the neuropathy away. 

• 2nd_time_around
    Options

Smaarty, I crochet so I get busy with that. Sewing and quilting work that way too - plus you have something tangible and beautiful when you're finished. Also, long phone calls help too. 

• 2nd_time_around
    Options

bump

• 2nd_time_around
    Options

bump for the new year

• 2nd_time_around
    Options

bump

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Bump

• 2nd_time_around
    Options

bump

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Bump :)

• 2nd_time_around
    Options

bump Smile

• Smaarty
    Options

ok you two, I want to bump

• 2nd_time_around
    Options

bum

• Smaarty
    Options

bumpity-bump. Hug

• magdalene51
    magdalene51 Member Posts: 2,062
    Options

I just remembered something I was going to post here. Someone may have already said it but I don't remember seeing it. Chemo messed with my taste buds and made my mout so sensitive, especially the tip of my tongue, that I couldn't tolerate sharp flavors, like vinegar and such. I am 5 months PFC and still have trouble with it. The worst was toothpaste, since there's only so long you can avoid it. I've started using Oragel children's toothpaste, in berry flavors. Much better.

• Smaarty
    Options

bump