Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Tips, Tricks and How to get through this Chit!

Options

Comments

• Smaarty
    Smaarty Member Posts: 2,618
    Options

bump

• Smaarty
    Options

bump

• Smaarty
    Options

bump

• Smaarty
    Options

nobody has any tips??

• crs003
    crs003 Member Posts: 18
    Options

I'm doing chemo during the summer and found that the best tops for port access are v-necks and those light, long sleeve tops with the cute front tie in the middle.  And after chemo, they cover it up if you want to go anywhere else. Scoop necks are good too, but don't cover the port up after.

• Hear2day
    Hear2day Member Posts: 4
    Options

This is a must-know-and -do tip! Thanks for posting it

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,879
    Options

Bump

• Smaarty
    Options

bump

• Smaarty
    Options

bum

• Smaarty
    Options

bumpity bump

• tessu
    tessu Member Posts: 1,294
    Options

For dry cracking lips:

I'm allergic to so many things (makeup, soaps, toothpastes, etc), even colorless unscented unflavored lip balm inflames my lips. My lips are dry and trying to crack after even this first dose of chemo.

Found that this helps: plain White Vaseline from the pharmacy --- squeeze from tube onto a cotton swab, then smear onto lips after every meal and toothbrushing. So far, so good...

• Smaarty
    Options

I don't know if it was posted earlier but have your prescriptions filled with easy to open lids. Nothing sreams OUCH when you can't get the lid off your pain meds!

• sas-schatzi
    Options

If all else fails ask a kid

• Smaarty
    Options

bump

• Smaarty
    Options

bump

• Smaarty
    Options

bump

• Smaarty
    Options

bump

• Smaarty
    Options

bump

• Smaarty
    Options

bump..

• LvinAZ44
    LvinAZ44 Member Posts: 107
    Options

i have uncontrolled watery eyes. Ins denied eye drops Dr prescribed. It's awful, my eyes are sore from wiping then so much.

• kathindc
    kathindc Member Posts: 1,667
    Options

Have you contacted your Dr. to see if he has samples he can give you or give you a script for a different drop that would work? Hope you can find a remedy. Isn't fair the way insurance companies play God with our health. Bad enough some docs are like that.

• sas-schatzi
    Options

LvinAZ........call your insurance carrier and ask to have an RN assigned to your case that you can talk about problems. This RN acts as a troubleshooter in your care. Many insurance carriers do this now b/c it reduces costs by preventing and intervening when trouble occurs. They save money. Money talks.

If they say they can't do this --ask if it's a recorded line and say the following " My doctor has recommended that I have the following_______ as part of my care. If as a result of your denial, I end up with a complication and or permanent injury because of your denial, you are responsible". Then follow up with a letter. Simply saying the same thing. If you really want to send up red flags for them send it certified to the CEO.

I used this in 1996 when insurance disapproved of my hyster/BSO after my twin had ER+ breast cancer. Ovary removal wasn't standard of care then, but I knew different LOL. I talked my doc into it. We got an insurance denial Monday before the Wednesday surgery. The direct words I used were " My doctor has recommended that I have a hyster/BSO as part of my care because my identical twin has ER+ breast cancer. If as a result of your denial, I end up with Er+ breast cancer after Wednesday(surg date) you are responsible" My surgery was approved on Tues. morning.

My twins doc wanted her to go on Tamox. I said sweetie they are guessing. No matter what the research says get those puppies out. She had one node positive. That was 1996. She's still kicking. No mets.

• LvinAZ44
    LvinAZ44 Member Posts: 107
    Options

they finally approved eye drops and thankfully they have helped!! Happy

• Song4Him
    Song4Him Member Posts: 3
    Options

Thank you!!!

• Smaarty
    Options

bump

• magdalene51
    magdalene51 Member Posts: 2,062
    Options
    I keep forgetting to put this here. I finished rads a year ago, almost, and toward the end it was a hot mess. Weeping sores. But have to e careful what you use because the skin is so damaged. I found a telfa pad with adhesive strips along two sides. The telfa doesn't stick to the wound, and the adhesive is very light. Regular adhesive tape took the skin off when it came off, but these pads didn't. I just got them at Walmart too, not too expensive.
  • sas-schatzi
    Options

Bump

• Smaarty
    Options

bump

• Smaarty
    Options

bump