Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Life does not end with a stage IV diagnosis (really!)

Comments

• GatorGal
    GatorGal Member Posts: 750
    edited June 2015

have been away from BCO for a while and have enjoyed catching up with one of my favorite threads ... A lot of reading, I must say. While I can't comment on all that's been said, I will comment on the last couple of posts. Katherine, I also have lung mets and am happy to say I just celebrated my 7th year since diagnosis. Can't even remember how many different treatments I've been on but suffice it to say, I'm overjoyed to be here, living in my new normal, enjoying my good days and getting through the not so good ones in the best way I can. OK, teacher Caryn, that was one heck of a run-on sentence, wasn't it? I'm. It even going to try to correct it as my iPad is acting funky. So glad to have an incredible oncologist who says there are many more chemos to try when my latest fails me (and it will as that is the way this seems to work). But 7 years, wow, even I didn't believe I'd be around this long! I'm ready to go for 7 more

• dunesleeper
    dunesleeper Member Posts: 1,305
    edited June 2015

Passau, Germamy

Salzburg, Austria

Melk, Austria

Vienna, Austria

Bratislava, Slovakia

Budapest, Hungary

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 5,254
    edited June 2015
    Wow! Fabulous photos, dune. You look quite relaxed and happy and you wear that headscarf with great flair. Glad you got to take such a nice trip.
    5 more days of school and 8 more days until Alaska for me. I can't find words to express how much I love to travel.
  • Karz72
    Karz72 Member Posts: 102
    edited June 2015

wonderful pics Dune, nothing better than travels :-)

• jjski62
    jjski62 Member Posts: 43
    edited June 2015

Love the pics Dune and you look great! I've never been to Europe. Would love to make that trip.

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,607
    edited June 2015
    dune, fabulous photos. You look great, btw. Love the Austria pics.

Katherine, best wishes to you as you begin to navigate the ins and outs of this disease. This forum is so helpful in offering support and insight.

GatorGal, missed you! And your dealing with stag iv for seven years and counting is very inspirational.
  • GatorGal
    GatorGal Member Posts: 750
    edited June 2015

Divine, wish there was a like button. I've missed you all, too!

• dunesleeper
    edited June 2015

Caryn I hope your trip will be as good as mine. We would never have gone on this trip if it wasn't for the stage iv dx. So, life does not end with a stage iv dx. Sometimes it kicks you in the pants to make you start living.

• intothewoods
    intothewoods Member Posts: 179
    edited June 2015

dunesleeper it had that kick-in-the-pants effect on me! I loved your pictures btw.

Caryn, happy end of the school year and bon voyage! I'm thinking of the Alaska cruise for next year.

• exbrnxgrl
    edited June 2015
    Intothewoods,
    Thank you and to you too. My students are experiencing widespread summer fever, so my class is a bit crazy right now. They are going to be doing some major work in our classrooms over the summer, so in addition to the regular stowing away and packing up, I need to figure out, roughly, how I want my room arranged for next year so furniture can be moved around, but this time next week, I'll be on board the ship and ready to set sail!

Dune,
    Thank you. Any travel is good travel in my book:) It really gives me a thrill when I hear that others have enjoyed their travels as well. I have always traveled but just recently realized that this is my third cruise in under two years, so I may have accelerated things a wee bit. I'm headed out to the garage to take down my suitcase. It will take the place of honor on my bedroom floor as I begin packing.
    Take care all!
  • exbrnxgrl
    edited June 2015

Minor complaint department:

Why is my garage still so stuffed with my dd's things? Both are married and one even has a garage that is larger than mine. I am tired of tripping over things and I barely had enough room to open the ladder. Yes, very minor in the scheme of things and definitely a first world problem, but I rarely complain so I feel okabout this small beef 😉

• divinemrsm
    edited June 2015

exbrnxgrl, it's been a year of ongoing decluttering for me. I like the simplicity of a tidy home now that dh and I are empty nesters. There's a current best seller on the subject:

"The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing."

I'm on a waiting list at the library to get it, can't wait! Anyway, thought I'd mention it in case you think it might be something interesting to read.

• exbrnxgrl
    edited June 2015
    Divine,
    I need that book! I am decluttering as well. I live close to Japan town and there are several Japanese supermarkets in my area. I even like the aesthetic of the stores. I even have a policy with clothing. If I buy a new top, shoes, pants etc. then an old pair has to go. My garage is my biggest problem. I can get my car in, but there is too much stuff, much of it belonging to my lovely girls. I guess wherever mom is, is always home.
  • susan_02143
    susan_02143 Member Posts: 2,394
    edited June 2015

Dune, Fabulous pictures! Nothing like a big Adventure to distract us. The world is full of so much worth seeing. *susan*

• shutterbug73
    shutterbug73 Member Posts: 284
    edited June 2015

Wonderful pictures Dune! A "kick in the pants" for sure!

Divine-I've heard somuch praise for that book, I'm going to have to check it out. The trick will be getting my DH to read it!

• divinemrsm
    edited June 2015
    Shutterbug, my dh isn't much of a book reader. So, when I read useful information I think he could benefit from, I often paraphrase it working it into casual conversation when the timing is right. It's like Indiscretely planting ideas in his mind and seeing how they sprout. In this case, he also has to see me decluttering my own things before he will consider clearing out his own stuff.

Susan, yes, there is so much out there!
  • divinemrsm
    edited June 2015

btw, exbrnxgrl, I, too, am drawn to the Japanese styles of placement, if that's the word I'm looking for. The minimalistic Japanese/Zen/Buddhism approaches speak to my soul without words.

• Karz72
    edited June 2015

I've been so inspired by the travels shared here, and by cancer & the roller coaster ride of chemo reminding me that life is here to be lived!

So I'm off to the Philippines & Sydney, Australia in August. Visiting friends who emigrated a few years a ago. Of course it's monsoon season in the Philippines & winter in Sydney but that will just add to the adventure!

Onc gave me the go ahead to travel today & I've been bouncing ever since :-)

• steelrose
    steelrose Member Posts: 318
    edited June 2015

I continue to love this thread! I'm such a travel lover, and actually had plans to go to Spain this month for my birthday, but chemo has interfered with that. But I'm rebooking for the fall! And thank you, Susan for your Barcelona reports… I was salivating. I've been to Madrid, but never there, and that will be our base.

And Japan is on my list too! And Amsterdam. So, so much more to see...

I will be following all of your fun summer travels and at home adventures too. Enjoy!

• susan_02143
    susan_02143 Member Posts: 2,394
    edited June 2015

Karz!!! Whoohooo! Bring your Wellies and some warm socks and you will have a great time. Can't wait to see your pictures!

Steel, If you are anything like me, you will adore Barcelona. Such an easy city to navigate, with enough to keep you busy without overwhelming. I much preferred Barcelona to Madrid which I visited on an orchestra tour in 2007. We stayed in Gracia, an area that didn't have many tourists and lots of great food markets. Depending on how my new treatment goes [and if I ever get the darn approvals required] we are considering returning in October to enjoy the late Summer harvest. Tina2 and I would be happy to share any knowledge we might have acquired.

*susan*

• steelrose
    steelrose Member Posts: 318
    edited June 2015

Susan,

Yes! Barcelona does seem wonderful. I love museums, good food, and just walking and exploring. And of course, wine and tapas!

I'm hoping your drug approval will come soon, so you can be off and running with Ibrance, and back in the travel saddle this fall. My oncologist's goal after chemo is to get me back on the pills too… Ibrance+something. Fingers crossed tightly for both of us!

Rose.

• katherinem
    katherinem Member Posts: 5
    edited June 2015

Thank you for your encouraging words! I had my first taxol, herceptin, and perjeta treatment last Friday, and am surprised by how well I feel so far. I'm getting taxol weekly, so I'm hoping that it will be gentler on my system. My boyfriend and I are going to the Outer Banks of NC in a couple weeks, with his family, and to Hawa'ii, the first week of August, with mine. My oncologist cleared me to go, and I'm hoping I'll feel up to it. The CT scan, after one month, showed slight progression of lung mets, a couple millimeters, but going in the wrong direction. Doing lots of yoga and exercise, eating lots of veggies, cutting out sugars and carbs, moderating on meat, taking supplements... everything that I can do on my end, to stay strong and positive. I want to live a long time, and hang out with my kids more. (They are 29 and 24, and live in New Orleans, and Seattle, respectively. My daughter is the elder, and I'm trying not to pressure her too much about grandkids!)

Glad to have found this thread, and you strong and graceful women!

Cheers,

Katherine

• Freygea
    Freygea Member Posts: 217
    edited June 2015

Sending virtual hugs to everyone . : )

• dunesleeper
    edited June 2015

Good for you Karz. I bet it will be amazing.

• exbrnxgrl
    edited July 2015

I just realized that the 4th of July weekend marks 4 years since my bc diagnosis! Here's what's happened since I started this thread.

- switched from Arimidex to Femara because se's on Arimidex had got too bad. Have been on Femara for a year. So far, so good

- that little granddaughter I mentioned turned 3 in March. Bright, beautiful, independent and imaginative. She looks just like her dad, but acts just like her mom did at that age.

- took another cruise. Chose Alaska this time and so glad I did. I got to fly on a helicopter and walk on a glacier. Dreaming of the Panama Canal, but that will have to wait until retirement.

- I'm still teaching and still passionate about it. I have already spent part of this summer working on the English language arts curriculum for my grade level as well as learning about two new math programs I'll be piloting for my school district (we'll choose one as our adopted program in the Spring). Common Core standards are driving all of this, but it gives me such a great feeling of purpose and satisfaction.

-my daughters are both happy and healthy as are my SIL's. Could a mother ask for more?

The stage IV shadow is still there, despite remaining NED. I just flip it off by living with happiness and won't give in until I have to. Yes, I realize I am fortunate but I hope the newly dx'ed can get some hope from this. Here's to the start of year five 😃

• tina2
    tina2 Member Posts: 758
    edited July 2015

I'll raise a glass to you tonight, Caryn. Here's to many more years and many more glasses!

Tina

• KiwiCatMom
    KiwiCatMom Member Posts: 2,337
    edited July 2015

Congratulations, Caryn! That's just fantastic!

• ellamilana
    ellamilana Member Posts: 59
    edited July 2015

Dear Caryn!

Thank you so much for posting this. Timing just impeccable.. I am having one of "those" days

and now thanks to you out of my PGs and off for a walk. Everything is going to be fine

You have two 4th today

Happy 4th!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kbflS1LsV8

• Karz72
    edited July 2015

Yay for grabbing life with both hands.

I am feeling decidedly smug after my weekend in the mountains. Lots of great company, food & wine. Physically I managed the 400km drive very easily both ways, I got out for a little run/jog/walk and kept up with the family on our hike. And then slept really really well at night :-)

In short, if it wasn't for my baby-bird-post-chemo-fluff excuse for hair on my head, I could believe bc does not exist in my life. I'll take more of these weekends thank you very much!!

This is the view from the deck in front of the diningroom. Add my gin & tonic to the scene & you'll know how happy I was!

• KiwiCatMom
    KiwiCatMom Member Posts: 2,337
    edited July 2015

What a lovely picture and great sounding weekend, Karz!