Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Life does not end with a stage IV diagnosis (really!)

Comments

• Texasrose53
    Texasrose53 Member Posts: 290
    edited August 2015

Caryn,

I agree...this is such an inspirational discussion board. When I received the diagnosis of IV in May of this year. I started searching for people that continue to live their lives and battle this horrible disease. This and some of the other discussion boards for stage IV have helped me get through that initial shock and feeling of "What is my future?". Life does go on!!!

I continue to work full time....I continue to travel with my husband....I continue to spend time with my children and grandchildren....I continue to make plans for the future!!

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 5,254
    edited August 2015
    Texasrose,
    I'm so glad you've found this thread to be a positive spot in the difficult world of stage IV bc. I realize that many are not in a position, due to health, to put their lives back to some semblance of normalcy, but it is possible for some of us. Of course, the impact that stage IV has on our lives means that we never go back to exactly what we knew before, but neither do we step into the grave when we're dx'ed. I have just begun my 5th year of NED and I'm happy as a clam (not happy about bc, of course). School started this week and my class is lovely. Darn, if it weren't for bc, I'd be totally healthy! Take care.
    Caryn
  • KiwiCatMom
    KiwiCatMom Member Posts: 2,337
    edited August 2015

Gaia - welcome to the thread. Sorry you have BC, but glad you found us. Ditto Texasrose.

I'm over 2.5 years NED and just bought a house. Maybe I'm crazy, but we can pay it off in about 7 years and I intend to be here to do so.

Hugs to all,

Terre

• nbnotes
    nbnotes Member Posts: 338
    edited August 2015

So, two years before BC diagnosis, I had some health problems that came with crazy chronic fatigue (that we now know was related to the breast cancer) that caused me to stop teaching middle school full-time and go into the world of being an adjunct professor for all of my work. For the last 5 years, that world has been very good to me, though at times stressful as you never know how much work you'll have from term to term. This past Tuesday, though, one of my school's asked me to become full-time (I was practically full-time for them anyway) as they had a teacher quit on short notice, and school started two days ago. This has been a whirlwind, but I'm very excited. It comes with full benefits (something I haven't had for 5 years), and the private insurance company that I bought an individual plan through is closing at the end of this calendar year; so that insurance is especially needed in January. The job is interim as they will have to officially advertise it, but hopefully, I will still get it for the future. Regardless, it is funny how things sometimes work out just when you need them to.

• Wendy3
    Wendy3 Member Posts: 872
    edited August 2015

Thank you Thank you.....I have been in a crying state for about two months now. I'm 51 and have been carrying a lump in my breast for three years and was told by several medical professionals that it was only a cyst and not to worry. Stupidly I figured the doctors knew what they were doing... Now I have stage four breast cancer. Three spots on bones and who knows what's next. The one saving grace I have is that it is hormone receptive so I'm going the tamoxifen route. I don't know how long I have but i feel really great I go to the gym every morning and lead an active lifestyle. I don't want to waste it crying... Your letter helped immensely thank you.

• exbrnxgrl
    edited August 2015

Welcome Wendy,

Yes, initial dx is a shock, especially when you know it might have been discovered earlier. I went from a clear mammon to stage IV 13 months later. I try not to look back or waste emotional energy blaming anyone. Forward is the only direction we can move. Good for you on maintaining an active life. There may be ups and downs as you move through treatment, and we never know what the future holds, so choose joy whenever you can. Not always easy, but certainly possible. It won't cure your bc, but choosing happiness sure makes life easier. All the best to you.

Caryn

• Xavo
    Xavo Member Posts: 244
    edited August 2015

Wendy, with only three spots in the bones, you have many many yeas ahead. I have extensive bone mets and at all-about-courageous-humor Terre's advice I am greedily shooting 15 years! Why not?

Terre, congrats on the new house!

Gaia, good post!

nbnotes, good luck with your job!

• LindaE54
    LindaE54 Member Posts: 1,379
    edited August 2015

Terre - Congrats on your new purchase! So very happy for you.

• Nel
    Nel Member Posts: 597
    edited August 2015

I continue to love this thread, we lead the best lives we can today and that can be pretty darn good. I would prefer not to have BC sitting on my shoulder, but it is there and not much I can do about it, except live fully while I can

• 50sgirl
    50sgirl Member Posts: 2,071
    edited August 2015

Wendy, Welcome! I have said many times that this is one of my favorite threads. It is full of hope and good humor. I also have bones mets and feel great. I am with Xavo - 15 or maybe even 20 years sound good to me. Anyway, I still live my life fully and appreciate each new day.

Terre, congratulations on your new home purchase. That is exciting news.

Nancy, congratulations for your ft job. The timing sounds perfect since you will have benefits.

Have a good weekend, everyone.

Lynne

• KiwiCatMom
    edited August 2015

Welcome, Wendy! My MO has 10 and 15 year survivors and says there's no reason for me not to expect the same.

Thanks for the congrats everyone. Still have to get past a couple of inspections, but if we don't get this one, there will be another one. This one comes which chickens and sheep next door, however, so we're quite hopeful.

Nancy - congratulations!!!! That's fantastic news!

Well said, Caryn. Worrying, blaming, feeling guilty, looking backwards (and I do all of these things) doesn't change anything. You can't worry away your cancer (wish you could because I would be SO cured!). I have to remind myself of this, but it's quite true . . . being negative won't change the outcome, so you might as well aim for 15+ years of being happy.

Hugs to all,

Terre

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,561
    edited August 2015

Welcome, Wendy! As you have already experienced, this Community is an incredible source of support, encouragement, advice, and inspiration. We're sorry you have to be here, but really glad you found us.

Welcome, and please continue to let us know how you're doing!

--The Mods

• 50sgirl
    edited August 2015

Sometimes it is the little things that make me smile. I went grocery shopping today - not one of my favorite things to do. There I was, a 65 year old woman with graying hair, and a woman of about 45 asked me to help her by getting a jar of mayonnaise from the bottom shelf at the store. She said that she has a bad back and wouldn't be able to get back up if she did it herself. I have to say that it made me feel like I must not look too bad for an older lady who has breast cancer and bones mets. Boy, did I have a big smile on my face when I handed the other shopper that mayo

• KiwiCatMom
    edited August 2015

50s - you go girl! :) That's great!

• nbnotes
    nbnotes Member Posts: 338
    edited August 2015

Welcome Wendy!

Sounds like you must look pretty good 50s girl!

• Nel
    Nel Member Posts: 597
    edited August 2015

Smile

Way to go!

• Lynnwood1960
    Lynnwood1960 Member Posts: 1,107
    edited September 2015

Bumping for newbies

• KiwiCatMom
    edited September 2015

Thanks Lynnwood! You read my mind! :

• GatorGal
    GatorGal Member Posts: 750
    edited September 2015

I started a new chemo today (navelbine). Pet ct on Tuesday showed major growth in the lung tumor, two tumors in the liver, and tumors in the left pelvic bone. Onc says the cancer's dna has changed and it is more aggressive. He is looking into trials. Hopefully he can find something I might qualify for.

My nurse joked that I would get the award for the number of chemotherapies tried! He said that navelbine seemed tolerable to most. My question, does it do the job on cancer? Side effects I can handle IF it is kicking the cancer!!

Looks like a decadron night! Time for some reading. I am officially caught up on my favorite BCO threads!!

• GatorGal
    edited September 2015

P.S. Wendy, I cried today, for a bit. Then got back into my "what's next on my calendar mode."

• ronniekay
    ronniekay Member Posts: 657
    edited September 2015

GatorGal...I was told navelbine/herc/perj for life (expected 5 mos...HA!), got to stable with-in a year & was able to drop navel after 22 mos, perj after 30.  I pray it works wonders for you!  Hard knock on white count, enter neulasta, but felt amazingly well tweaking diet, resting, etc. Wishing you wellness!!!!

• Texasrose53
    Texasrose53 Member Posts: 290
    edited September 2015

CT Scan results tomorrow ladies!! Praying for stable! But will be super excited with shrinkage of my mets! Whatever the results....life does not end with Stage IV Smile! So much planned for the next couple of years and then retirement!

• Macy
    Macy Member Posts: 93
    edited September 2015

Gatorgal, best of luck on the Navelbine. I have my fingers crossed for you. Navelbine will be next on my list if my current treatment fails. I will be curious about the side effects too. I wonder if hair loss is one.

RonnieKay, thanks for sharing your experience with Navelbine. I have tricky, persistent lung mets.

Texasrose, thinking of you as you wait for the results of your CT.

I'm tolerating my Adriamycin/Cytoxan pretty well. It's amazing how your perspective changes at stage Iv. I know the lower stage women are often complaining about this regimen. I mean, it kind of sucks but I'm getting through: you do what you gotta do. I just hope it works! As it is, my tumor markers have stabilized and dropped very slightly-and TM's seem to be a good indicator for me. And this is after I had not even started on the AC. I have #3 of my 4 treatments in 10 days.

What I'm really excited about right now is that I get to go to an NFL game. I'm a football junkie! This was always a bucket list item for me--although I avoid bucket lists like the plague! I have always wanted to go to a game and the perfect opportunity presented itself. Yay!

Life does not end at a stage iv diagnosis...but I like to live in denial and forget about it most of the time. :)

• GatorGal
    edited September 2015

RonnieKay, "Thanks for the navelbine tips. I'm familiar with neulasta and have never had problems with it. So glad to hear of your results with navelbine! Bring it on!! I looked at your history. If it worked on your liver mets, I'm hoping it will work on mine as well!

Macy, hope you continue to do well in your current regimen. I hate when I have to change treatment plans. I feel like I'm going to run out of options!!

I went to my first NFL game last year with my son who is a Dallas fan and his son who is a Redskins fan. It was the Sunday after Christmas. My son was dressed in his Dallas garb and grandson in Redskins. I wore a little of both! We had a wonderful time. My son has already asked if we're going again this year. I know you will enjoy the game!! I'm excited about the season opening tonight and will be doing my best to stay awake and watch the game.

Texasrose, waiting is so hard. Hope you get good results! We're waiting with you!

• Wendy3
    edited September 2015

I'm such a doorknob I messaged with all of you lovely ladies ...then I got lost on this site. Looked for this thread again to no avail....yeah I found you again. I'm totally blaming my brain fart on my meds. Yup I'm sticking to that .

• 50sgirl
    edited September 2015

Macy-I hope you enjoy the NFL game. My son is at the Patriots game right now (in the rain). I know, I know, deflate gate, etc. I am sure we have a different opinion of the whole thing here in New England, so we won't get into it here. Lol. It is good to have the season begin. Life goes on.

Wendy-I am glad you found your way back to this thread. You should make it one of your favorite so you don't lose us again. There are so many active threads that it can be overwhelming sometimes.

Have a good night everyone.

Lynne

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,607
    edited September 2015

Steelers fan here. Live an hour from Pittsburgh where ds now lives. Enjoy the game, always interesting to see one in person

• KiwiCatMom
    edited September 2015

Macy - a Lions game perchance? When I lived in Detroit, we had season tickets to the Lions and the Red Wings. Both were awful teams at the time, so tickets were cheap. I've been a Lions and Wings fan ever since. People think being a Lions fan is crazy, but it's good to be a Lions fan. They seldom win, and I know that, so I'm rarely disappointed, and once in a while, I'm pleasantly surprised. :) They're doing some NFL all star type games here in March next year and I'm hoping to go. I'm a football and hockey nut.

Have fun at the game!

• exbrnxgrl
    edited September 2015
    Not a football fan (I will admit, I don't understand the game at all), but happy you're all enjoying it.
    School is in full swing and my plate is overflowing. I think I fall more in love with teaching every year and the sense of purpose it gives me is intensely fulfilling.
    On the home scene, and without revealing details, as I'm sworn to secrecy right now, I'm going to be a grandmother again!! I am beyond thrilled. My granddaughter has been the best medicine and I can't wait for the next "dose".
  • Wendy3
    edited September 2015

exbrnxgrl congratulations on the grandchild I am so envious. My children are 17 17 and 20, so I have a while to wait. I just hope I make it. That is the best medicine I would have to agree. Have a lovely sleep ladies .