Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

TEs. A Beginner's Primer

Options

Comments

• ItsStillMe
    ItsStillMe Member Posts: 48
    Options

So glad to have found this thread and many others on this site. I appreciate all of your thoughts opinions and experiences. I will be finishing chemo in early February and then having a BMX on February 27. I have just started researching implants and TEs. I have read about the link between textured implants and Lymphoma, BIA- ALCL. Apparently TE can be textured or smooth as well. Has anyone decided not to have textured TE due to the risk? I still need radiation after BMX and my PS says it could be up to 9 months before the TE exchange to permanentimplant. So I could have these TE in for a long time. Any thoughts?

• rdeesides
    rdeesides Member Posts: 233
    Options

Hi,

My first time to post in this thread... I just had my TE placed last Tuesday, so almost a week ago. Today I finally got the nerve to take a good look at new TE breast. There are a couple of lumpy places. Is that weird? I have an appointment with the doctor on Wed, but I just wasn't expecting that. It can't be the cancer returning because I just had my mastectomy on Tuesday! You know all the procedures make me a little crazy!

Rebekah

• Mominator
    Mominator Member Posts: 1,173
    Options

Rebekah, yes it is normal to be lumpy. Think of the TE as a small, partially-inflated balloon. It may not be round or symmetrical right now. There may be other reasons to be lumpy. Ask your doctor. Not, it is not the cancer returning. Take a breath!!

To all the newbies: welcome, welcome! When it was my turn, I spent a lot of time between this thread (TEs. A Beginner's Primer) and Exchange City. It's really helpful to know what to expect, and how to get through this time. 

Good to see lots of other familiar ladies here as well. 

• rdeesides
    Options

Thank you Mominator! I figured it can't be cancer already, but all these procedures and tests and therapies really have done a number on my mind.

My TE looks, in some ways, better than I expected. But, in some ways, it looks worse. For one thing, the top of my boob is kind of concave. That is not too awesome of a look. But I know I'm only 6 days out and haven't gotten any fills yet, let alone the real implant, so I'm not freaking out yet. I do hope the fills make it look nice enough in a tank top soon because I live in San Diego and will want to be wearing warm weather clothes soon.

Thanks everyone for your support. It means a lot.

Rebekah

• eastcoastts
    eastcoastts Member Posts: 352
    Options

BringOn2017:

Thanks for saying that. I'm glad I kicked you into gear with Exchange.

This place just brings me JOY. Hope you are doing well, too!!!

• eastcoastts
    Options

Sorry, guys. Posted to wrong forum! Happy

• eastcoastts
    Options

Okay, please blame this on Tamoxifen, but I was supposed to post on this forum. LOL

BringItOn2017: I was just saying that this site and you guys bring me JOY. Thanks for chiming in about Exchange and me somehow encouraging you not to be left behind. I honestly think I'd feel lonely without this site and the friends I've met here. I hope you're doing well, too!!!

Good luck to everyone going through the joy of TEs right now. It wasn't a walk in the park or anything....but the TE time was worth it. I'm happy with implants and all has gone well.

• LoveCanada
    LoveCanada Member Posts: 87
    Options

Thanks Bringon2017, I’ve started reading the exchange thread too and you’re right, it’s very helpful! Today it’s been 2 weeks since my surgery and yesterday it was like a fog lifted and I started feeling so much better and only took pain meds before sleeping. I wouldn’t say my TE’s are comfortable but I’m getting used to them.

• eastcoastts
    Options

LoveCanada:

Glad you're doing well! I'm in NC, too. (Charlotte)

• LoveCanada
    Options

Thanks EastcoastTS! I’m also in Charlotte

• Sitti
    Sitti Member Posts: 89
    Options

Charlotte here too!🙋 Glad your pain is diminishing LoveCanada.

• bringon2017
    bringon2017 Member Posts: 60
    Options

Hi all... Haven't logged in for a few days.... but finally lounging with laptop on my sofa!

Good luck Itsstillme! Glad your chemo is over soon and you can move on to the next step. I did read a bit of the literature regarding the textured vs smooth.... (The FDA report came out a couple of weeks after my TEs were put in last February)

Since then there's been another report in JAMA on the data from the Dutch registry (and yes this was again 2 weeks after my exchange! Yes as you read, there does seem to be an association of risk of BIA - ALCL that is higher with the textured than with the smooth implants. However the numbers are really small when you consider that only 1 woman per 7000 implants would get it. I did discuss the data with my surgeons, prior to deciding re smooth vs textured. I didn't want round implants, and I wanted the teardrop shaped ones as I wanted a more natural look. All in all we figured chances are I will die of something else, and driving on the highways is likely riskier than my textured implants and I opted for textured. On the other hand, I have been advised to have a yearly ultrasound to monitor for the development of a seroma / Fluid around the implant as this is one of the early signs of the ALCL. One of the other points that reassured me is that it seems in those who did develop ALCL, then this can be surgically removed without need for further treatment (though you do lose the implant).  So yes I went ahead with the textured. 

This is the link to the article on the Dutch data

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamaoncology/article-abstract/2667737?redirect=true 

Good luck with your surgery and let us know how you are doing. Hope I have reassured you rather than put you off! but it is a good idea to discuss with your PS too.

Hi LoveCanada glad you're starting to feel a bit better. Yes the TEs do get a bit better with time.... or actually I am convinced it's a brain thing.... I think my brain got used to them!

Hi Rdeesides the TEs - or let me rephrase- MY TEs looked awful in the beginning and middle of my fills - I remember crying my eyes and not wanting to look into the mirror they looked so awful.... But as they filled gradually and got more of a shape, they felt better or at least looked better.... but hey.... look at my previous threads somewhere.... it took retail therapy, scarves, long chains, make-up and yes red lipstick to make me feel good! But as Eastcoast said, it was all worth it. I am happy with my exchange. They feel more comfortable, are symmetrical, and in a good comfortable bra, I bet nobody would say they're fake boobies! So hang on in there and know that you will find a lot of support on this thread and on the Exchange City thread... I think they are lifesavers.

Nice to hear from you both Sitti and Eastcoast... It is nice to hear from people I still think of when I think back to my Surgery  and TE days.

• ItsStillMe
    ItsStillMe Member Posts: 48
    Options

BringOn, thank you so much for sharing. This whole BC process has been one difficult decision after another. Each with their own pluses and minuses. In the end we must choose what's right for us and what we are comfortable with. And then hopefully move on, stay positive and try not to let fear of the future paralyze us (at least that's what people are telling me). So glad to hear you love the outcome of your exchange and that they look natural. That’s what I’m hoping for.

• shelabela
    shelabela Member Posts: 327
    Options

anyone's PS do fat grafting before the exchange?

• Mominator
    Options

Hello shelabela!

I've never heard of fat grafting before the exchange.

Fat grafting during or after exchange is used to fill in areas of lesser volume and cover rippling, and to help achieve symmetry. 

Not all of the fat "takes" right away, and some of the fat is reabsorbed into the body over time. 

You'll want to discuss this more with your PS.

http://www.breastcancer.org/treatment/surgery/reconstruction/types/autologous/fat-grafting

Good luck!

• rdeesides
    Options

Bringon2017, thank you for your kind words. Right now my foob is bumpy and there is a concave area at the top. Even my 9 year old daughter told me to cover up because my boob looks weird. Hahaha! I actually am not super worried yet because I know it is a work in process, but I do hope it looks somewhat ok when the weather starts getting warm so I can wear tank tops and sundresses. But either way it will be fine. I keep reminding myself that in the scheme of things my boob is not so important. I am just glad to be alive!

I have another fill tomorrow so that will hopefully help it fill out somewhat.

I am finally able to sleep on my side now which is super helpful since I'm a side sleeper. The breast is still tender, but at least I can move around and it's not painful.

Rebekah

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,226
    Options

mominator - fat grafting prior to exchange is to help previously radiated skin gain integrity and vascularity so it can stretch and exchange can be successfully completed. This is a newer process, so it has not been done as much here in the US, but is done with more frequency in Europe. I actually had it done twice to my flat side after the loss of an implant and prior to the placement of a new TE. Even though I did not have radiation my skin behaved as if I did after successive surgeries for healing issues. I feel it made all the difference and allowed me to have both implants back again. Here is a thread on BCO about it:

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/70/topics/744891?page=1

• shelabela
    shelabela Member Posts: 327
    Options

specialK, yes that is exactly why they did it. I think you replied in a different thread to me. Thanks.

My PS said he does this before and after. I really like my PS. For having TE they look pretty good. Lol.

• specialk
    Options

shelabela - of course! I think your PS is on top of things and doing everything to insure a great outcome for you!

• specialk
    Options

shelabela - of course! I think your PS is on top of things and doing everything possible for a great outcome for you!

• bringon2017
    Options

Hi rdeesides yes I got that crap from DD also aged 9! I had finished my expansions by May and had the whole (very hot) summer in TEs. Didnt bother me much by way of clothes, apart from having to buy a new swimsuit, which needed some strap adjustments which the shop did for me. I did avoid tops that were too low cut since the TEs are a bit unnaturally high. 

All in all I dont think my TEs affected my summer. I swam at least once a,week and went on holiday twice. All in all my brain got used to them! though my squishies are more comfortable! 

By the way if you are into reading there's 2 really good books out there - I wore lipstick to my mastectomy by Geralyn Lucas (also on film) and Red Sunshine (will check author in a sec and post) 

Hang on in there!

Special K you never cease to amaze me! Always a moment away with the right info!

• bringon2017
    Options

Ok so Red Sunshine by Kim Allison. 

Both are inspiring. 

• specialk
    Options

bringon - thanks! I'm hell bent on using everything that has happened either to me, or those I know, during this craptastic experience for the greater good!

• LoveCanada
    Options

Hi, I'm interested in input if anyone has any. I had my first fill on Tuesday and it didn't bother me at all and throughout that day I felt better than I have since surgery (I took Tylenol so that may have helped). I flew that night and took all the precautions advised by my PS, including watching for signs of blood clots since it was only 3 weeks post-surgery. Both flights were less than an hour but we ended up getting delayed for the second flight and it was a much longer night than expected and I was so sore by the end and felt like my TE's had gotten higher, and they have stayed that way since and the soreness hasn't gone away, particularly my right breast (which is also much softer to the touch than it was). I feel like this may be normal because of my recent fill but I want to be sure I'm not missing something that is wrong because I flew so soon. I keep going back and forth on whether to call the PS because I don't want to overreact to everything, so thought I'd try here first :) Thanks and sorry for the long post!

• Mominator
    Options

Thank you SpecialK, for teaching us about fat graphing before exchange. You are, as always, such a wealth of information.

Shelebela, I'm so sorry I didn't know pre-exchange FG. I thought it was a mistake. Good thing we have SpecialK around!! 
  • Flynn
    Flynn Member Posts: 208
    Options

Hi, ladies! Sorry I’ve been mia lately. I’ve been using my much more relaxed schedule during expansion to focus on other parts of my life. I started a LiveStrong program and have been spending time with my family & friends.

Last expansion is Friday and then I head to radiation for 5 weeks. My last two expansions have been very unpleasant for about 36 hours and then much better. I can’t really complain although Friday nights tend to busy with my kids and the pain has put a damper on my joining in on the fun.

Best to all of you!!

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,937
    Options

Flynn, my last 2 fills were painful too. But the squishies were so awesome after that! So you are well on your way!

To all the NC people, wow! Thats cool!

I come here thinking it only been a week, and then I see its been almost a month! LOL. Time flies.

My port was removed, and im finally back in my water exercise class.

Its still me, I had my right TE in for 2 years about half filled. My left was in and out 3 times. So it is possible to have TEs in a long time. My PS told me he had someone with one in 34 month and everything went well. So take heart.

Oh, to all who worry about the look of TEs, dont!. It changes everytime you get a fill. So step AWAY FROM THE MIRROR! They are hard stick way out,( dont get your hopes up, the squishIes lose projection) and can be uncomfortable. If you do have to have them for a long time, and they are fully expanded, you can have some fluid removed If need be to be more comfortable, and they can refill when youre ready.

Much love and gentle hugs to all!

• eastcoastts
    Options

Yeah to being back in your water exercise class!!!

I'm trying to get back into my routine, too, and it feels good. ;)

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,937
    Options

Happy Valentines Day, everyone. Hope all is well.

Much love

• eastcoastts
    Options

Yes, Happy Valentine's to all the BC rock stars!Heart