Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

TEs. A Beginner's Primer

Options

Comments

• ReadyAbout
    ReadyAbout Member Posts: 145
    Options

kandyhunt: sounds about right! My left side is bigger and the skin is much tighter than the right, I think due to an infection I had on left side a few weeks ago. Like you, I can feel the hard edges through the skin and the plastic feeling all over. There’s a reason these are temporary, lol. I also have indentations/ripples on the right side as the TE has either leaked or settled into the skin. Either way, PS says it’s all normal.

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,937
    Options

Kandy, did your Doc answer you? It feels folded because it probably is. More fills are usually the answer.

Much love

• ReadyAbout
    Options

I have one small spot on outer left foob at 4:00 that is very sensitive/painful to the touch. I can feel the edge of the TE pressing there and for some reason it hurts. It's been sensitive for a week or two but has become more so. Has anyone had this happen? This is the side that got an infection last month and it has never been the same since - skin is tight, foob is larger, and it just feels all gunked up in there. (<---my clinical observation) My PS also cleared me to lift weights quite awhile ago, and although I've been careful, I wonder if I pulled the TE out of place a bit. I would love to know if any of you have had this happen - I can't sleep on that side or hold even a binder or water bottle between my arm and chest. My exchange surgery is Sept 4 and I am trying to keep my eyes on the prize, but it was painful to wear the flimsy Coobie bra all day. I shimmied out of it as soon as I got in the car to leave work, lol.

• kandyhunt
    kandyhunt Member Posts: 46
    Options

Sorry I have been on travel

Moon-

Readyabout- I went on August 6th to the PS crazy visit no one saw me. They didn't have anything to see patients and the doctor was in surgery. So tomorrow I try again.

But I am sure I have a leak. I don't think I have any fluid left in my left breast. Nothing. It's completely flat. Nothing.

• crawfish
    crawfish Member Posts: 206
    Options

I've been slowly working my way through this thread, and getting so much good info. I'm a newbie -- just had my BMX and expanders on Tuesday, August 28. I'm still moving slowly and being waited on hand and foot. Which is nice. ;) But also makes me feel kinda guilty.

I feel like I know NOTHING. This happened so fast, and I'm now slap dab in the middle of things with no idea which way is up. My post op with my BS and PS is on Wednesday. Up until reading this thread I assumed I'd be getting my first fill that day, now I'm not so sure.

Overwhelmed!

• ReadyAbout
    Options

Welp, I got cellulitis again, this time 5 days before my exchange surgery. (screams into the void) My PS is taking out the expander tomorrow. He wanted to replace the expanders on BOTH sides and add an antibiotic plate to the bad side. At first I consented, then talked to some PS dr/nurse acquaintances and all three said NO, that I shouldn't let him put an expander in an infected side. So I texted him today that I'd rather go flat for a month or two and let the tissue heal on its own. I also told him I only want the infected side operated on. And I've decided to change PS. I am a very easygoing patient and this PS has been a disaster - I was told by an experienced OR nurse today to run, not walk, from his practice. *SIGH*

• kandyhunt
    kandyhunt Member Posts: 46
    Options

ReadyAbout-- I am so sorry this is happening. I am scheduled for surgery on September 11th to have my expanders taken out and new ones put as the right side one sprung a leak and the right side is acting funny also. I am screaming in to the void too wondering how this happening. I have been so careful about everything. Good luck with finding a new PS. My PS is great, his office staff is always pissing me off.

• simonerc
    simonerc Member Posts: 154
    Options

ReadyAbout and kandyhunt,

I am so sorry to hear both updates! That really sucks and I am really feeling for both of you. ReadyAbout, glad you received some good insight from others in the field and will be making a change. It sounds like a good decision! Kandyhunt, sometimes you just have bad luck although that does not make it suck any less!

Sending as much good karma as possible to you both for the end of complications! This is a long road and I hate that it has been rocky and extended for you both!

• moonflwr912
    Options

Readyabout and kandyhunt, I am so sorry that happened! It sucks. But it isnt the end of the world, although it may seem like it. Readyabout, im glad you waited. Putting in new expanders isnt a great idea, although Ive known people who did that and were fine. Just if youve already had issues, being sure is best. I was on IV abx after my infections for 3 weeks, then orals for 3 more. I did finally make it to squishy side, although my journey had a few sightseeing detours! Hang in there! And feel free to go to TE Trouble Board. A lot if the people there have been through it too. Hugs!

Much love to all

PS. Basement was sewaged during the wicked weather. So Ive been busy

• SLL101984
    SLL101984 Member Posts: 162
    Options

crawfish- welcome and sorry you had to join this thread. I went from biopsy, to diagnosis, to surgery (nipple sparing BMX with TEs) in one month and 3 days. I get that crazy fast feeling. I was on this site so much that first month my phone recognizes it as a frequently visited site and saves it! These threads are so very helpful but keep in mind no two cases and recoveries are the same. My situation I woke up from surgery flat no air or saline in my expanders. It took 3 weeks before we started putting in air. My biggest piece of advise is not to rush things. Time is going to pass no matter what so take the extra day, week, month to heal don’t rush it. Good luck with your appointments!

• crawfish
    Options

Thanks for the welcome SLL.

I feel very fortunate. My surgery went smoothly, and my incisions look great. My expanders are empty because my chest muscles were too tight to add anything during the surgery. My first fill will be this coming Wednesday.

Honestly, I haven't been posting much because I feel kind of guilty for how smoothly everything is going for me. My heart goes out to everyone whose struggles are so much worse, and I am grateful to have only pain to deal with right now.

• moonflwr912
    Options

Crawfish, please dont feel guilty! We need people on the boards who do sail through without issues. When people come here for info, we want to let them know things usually progress normally, but most people dont bother to come here if they are not having issues. Thats why this board was created, to help people know what is in the normal realm, and what might need to be explored further. So feel free to let us hear : "Everything is going well!"

Much love!

• Mominator
    Mominator Member Posts: 1,173
    Options

Hello Moonflwr and all,

(Mostly) success story:

I just joined a gym and got a free personal training session as part of the promotion. I've been working on strengthening my chest, arms, and core since those areas seem the weakest. 

Success: I have been able to do modified push ups (on knees not toes, and about halfway down to the floor) in sets of 10 and 12 this week. I will continue pushing (ha, ha) that area for improvement. 

More success: Today, I held myself in the plank position (on toes and flat back) for 1 minute 15 seconds!! 

Not so successful: The trainer had me do a core training exercise (frog to superman) on the TRX, during which I lost my balance and fell hard on my tailbone. Sadly, the tailbone is very sore and not supporting weight right now. 

Madelyn 

• crawfish
    Options

Ouch, Madelyn! Your trainer needs a kick in the ass for allowing you to get injured on her watch. Not cool.

Ok, Moonflwr, I’ll be a ray of positivity when I can. 👍

• moonflwr912
    Options

oh, ouch Mominator. Hope it feels better soon.

Crawfish, as long as its true, ok! But dont feel the need to make happy if its not! LOL

• Jen1969
    Jen1969 Member Posts: 3
    Options

Haha ‘scenic detours’ - love it! I had barely left the station when I had my first one. Have only just found this thread and feel like I have struck gold - thank you and everyone that’s shared their experiences. About to duck over to the ‘TE troubles’ thre

• moonflwr912
    Options

Jen, sorry I missed you! But if you are having those stupid "Scenic Detours" , thats the place to be. Also, there are a lot of people on that board so you'll get answers faster.

BTW, please, please dont be afraid to PM with questions if you need to. I get an email telling me I have one so will answer quicker

Much love to all.

• moonflwr912
    Options

Bump.

• moonflwr912
    Options

Hello ladies! Hope this means no one has questions lately.

Happy Thanksgiving!

• bcbc
    bcbc Member Posts: 37
    Options

No questions for me. Just thankful for all the women who contribute to this forum. I've learned so much from you!

And I'm happy to report that I'm finally scheduled to get rid of these miserable tissue expanders in nine days. New boobs for Christmas! 🎄🎄🎄

• Mominator
    Options

Happy exchange, Bcbc

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone. 

• moonflwr912
    Options

bcbc, Happy Squishy Day! Welcome to the Squishy Side!!! Hope you are recovering well.

• bcbc
    bcbc Member Posts: 37
    Options

Oh thank you for all the support. It's all downhill now. Just need to spend a little quiet time healing now. There were times when I didn't think I'd ever make it to the squishy side! But I'm here now. Whew.

Thanks again.

• moonflwr912
    Options

Glad all is going well. Merry Christmas, to all!

• moonflwr912
    Options

Hope everyone is doing well. Merry Christmas!

• Mominator
    Options

Hello ladies! 

Bumping this up in case anyone has questions.

I hope everyone is doing well with their TEs and their exchanges.

Madelyn  

• moonflwr912
    Options

Chevking in. Hoping all is Well. Feel free to PM or email me if questions and im not on as frequently as before.

• moonflwr912
    Options

Bumping for anyone new. If you have questions, please feel free to PM me.

Much love

• Stitch
    Stitch Member Posts: 32
    Options

Has anyone had implants done and they're diabetic?  Mine is under control with diet and meds, (last A1C was 5.9) but I'm 60, thin skinned, and worried I may not be eligible for any reconstruction based on that.  ??  

• moonflwr912
    Options

Stitch, sorry for the long delay! But, yes, I am diabetic, and was 59/60 while going through reconstruction. Unfortunately, I had issues with infections. But, it really had nothing to do with the diabetes as my sugars were 6.5 during this time. Please see my email address and contact me if you want, im not on here as often as i used to be. My recon went well 3rd time around, but it was 2 years past chemo, which is why i think it went well. I was stronger! I will check this for a couple days to see if you want more info. Also if you email ne just put BCO friend in subject line. Thx