Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

TEs. A Beginner's Primer

Options

Comments

• janett2014
    janett2014 Member Posts: 2,950
    Options

Miralax is amazing!

• Jill_MN
    Jill_MN Member Posts: 11
    Options

Okay. We all have our goals and I achieved one of mine today. Yes, I had a BM. Small victory. Embarrassing to post but whatever. Felt pretty good the rest of the day...went for a short walk on my block w/ a neighbor. My goal for tomorrow is writing thank you notes. Thanks for the responses & support. Nightie night.

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,937
    Options

Jill and jannette. We like victories. Even small ones! LOL  Here's to moving freely! LOL

• Blessings2011
    Blessings2011 Member Posts: 1,801
    Options

Jill_MN: Happy Dance!

• AZ85048
    AZ85048 Member Posts: 1,467
    Options

Blessings - ThumbsUpThumbsUp

• Jill_MN
    Jill_MN Member Posts: 11
    Options

Juliecc - I love the flashlight experiment. Question: you said there are scar strips...they look perfectly rectangular almost like steri-strips. Are the ports on the sides? I love the orange/red glow color. 

Will anyone else please post their flashlight experiment? Would be cool to see if implants are as interesting. I still have my surgical dressing on so I'm flat...nothing fun to see here yet. If I posted pics of my drains I'm guessing it may cause post traumatic syndrome for some. 👿

Happyteacher - good luck with all the CCs, I'm sure height plays a part w/ how much saline you'll need to get the girls to their appropriate size.  It's amazing how different we all are re: height, chest barrel size, etc. yet we're so much the same. Before early May, I'd never seen so many boobs. What did the BC patients do before the internet?? Poor gals. The before & after photos are so helpful. 

To all TE & BC Survivor Babes - hang in there, I'm sending prayers & positive vibes your way!

Hugs,

Jill

• sandra4611
    sandra4611 Member Posts: 1,750
    Options

Jil, when I went in for my sterotactic breast biopsy, the nurse was explaining what was going to happen and with her clothes on, touched her breasts to demonstrate. My husband and I must have looked surprised because she suddenly stopped and apologized, saying "Around here we are so used to doing this, it doesn't occur to us that others might be shocked." Now I know what she means. I've lifted my shirt more times than a hooker trying to flash potential customers. I don't think of them as my breasts...they are just foobs, covered with the skin that used to be above my nipples. Everything from nipples down and across was taken out. I had giant FFF boobs and after the BMX there was still enough skin to cover two 800 cc implants with no TE's required! I went direct to implants. If I'd never had that damned infection, the whole thing would have been "one and done."

The skin that covers my foobs was seen by all my friends every time I had something low cut on like a bathing suit, so it means nothing more than the skin on my arm. I don't mind showing people what a mastectomy looks like and all of my friends have been curious at every stage.. But some seem squeamish - are they afraid they might see a nipple? Horrors! When they don't see any they relax a bit. I tell them they've seem all this skin before. It just didn't have little C cup mounds under it. I don't have nipples and won't be getting any. I like not having to worry about a nip-slip. Winking I could legally walk around without a top! I've seen guys with more than I have now.

• grammakathy
    grammakathy Member Posts: 126
    Options

Sandra - that is so how I feel about my breasts now!  I remember when I went to see the oncologist after my first mastectomy for cancer - the first appointment was followed by the second two weeks later after the results of the oncotype test were back.  I was bugged that I had to undress both time.  Now fast forward six months later - following the second MX & TE installations and many appointments with the plastic surgeon for fills - and I visit the oncologist again.  This time I had no concerns about who wanted to push and prod and check my TE filled breasts.  In one way, they are a miracle.  Something was made from what I considered a scarred body.  I love my imitation breasts and can't really believe that they could be built back like this.  So cool!

• Blessings2011
    Options

Sandra - I actually DO think of them as my breasts. They are part of me. The surgeon gave me back what cancer took away. Occasionally I refer to them as The New Girls, as opposed to The Original Girls, but the originals were so awful, I NEVER showed them to anyone. Even with DH, I felt better in a nightgown.

They were 40DDD, droopy, and hung all the way down to my waist. I probably should have worn at least two sizes bigger, as my poor boobs were CRAMMED into the cups and I had spillage everywhere.

Now I have my 700cc saline implants. I love the size, my back feels better, and I feel younger. DH says they feel real to him. He's a happy camper. Now I can walk around topless, like I never did before. 

I think what might make me feel more self-conscious is if I had nipple reconstruction, or 3D nipple tatts. Somehow, Barbie boobs do not seem as sexual as breasts with nipples. As of now, I have no plans for either.

But I'm like you - I'll flash anyone who asks. Or anyone who DOESN'T ask, if I think they're curious. One friend couldn't wait to see them - she'd had a lumpectomy. Our other friend shook her head violently and said "I'll wait here..." as we went into the bathroom for a better close-up.

• twoam
    twoam Member Posts: 122
    Options

My PS apologized for having to examine me, and take pics. I laughed, and said I was pretty much past the point of being uncomfortable with having my breasts examined. I am not sure how he thought I got up to this point. I appreciate every single person involved in my breast care, but sometimes I'm like "what???"

• moonflwr912
    Options

blessings, they have nip prosthetics you know. You can buy a pair and surprise your DH. Just use some skin glue or tape LOL! 

• juliecc
    juliecc Member Posts: 4,360
    Options

Blessings, I also hated my old boobs and I think I'll like my new ones better.  I just posted my TE pictures in the picture forum showing my issues with hyperpigmented scars and a dent the PS will try to add fat grafting to.

• RainDew
    RainDew Member Posts: 228
    Options

:-)

Glad to see I am not the only one who basically feels like her chest is a public good. I am going to have to remind myself it probably isn't appropriate to whip my shirt off before returning to work next week...

(Not that there is much to see here - 200cc's into TE fills...although I am weirdly rocking the a cup look...)

Rain

• Blessings2011
    Options

Moonflwr912 - that's actually on my "To Do" list... thanks! 

Juliecc - I just posted on your Pic Forum thread! Take a look at my thread and see The Original Girls in all their droopy glory!!!

RainDew - there's a thread here on BCO called You Know You're A Cancer Patient When... and one of the stories is YKYACP when you sit down in the dentist's chair and automatically begin to unbutton your shirt.....

• AZ85048
    AZ85048 Member Posts: 1,467
    Options

Blessings - ThumbsUp  (LMAO!)  LoopyWinkingNerdyShocked

• juliecc
    juliecc Member Posts: 4,360
    Options

Blessings, I love the dentist chair thing.  I have definitely lost all modesty with this breast cancer thing.

My droopy boobs were similar to yours, just smaller.  I took a picture the night before the BMX.  I guess I should post it on my pic forum post. I might have to use my work laptop to do that!

• RainDew
    Options

hahahahahahahahahahaha 😄

Dentist. Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

• moonflwr912
    Options

Now wouldn't the dentist be surprised! LOL

• globalgal19
    globalgal19 Member Posts: 42
    Options

Hello everyone,

I've missed this board, just been busy.  So I'm back and laughing so hard at the recent posts and how much I can relate.

I had one friend that after our Water Aerobic class at the Y, who has used my PS for a facelift.  She looks great.  We were in the dressing room checking out my chest and laughing at what others might think.

I was telling DH just this morning about how many people have looked at my chest recently.  Too funny.  I'm also quite pleased with The New Girls compared to the Original Girls.  I had recon on the left, nipple so much higher (and to my delight) it has feeling!  What a surprise.  The right side now at 700 cc's with one more fill on June 17.

Have been quite lucky as only had discomfort after the 2nd fill.  1st and 3rd no problem other than getting in the way when I lay on my right side.

Now each time I look at myself I start to laugh.   So much better than the old gal.  Am pleased as punch.

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,226
    Options

My dentist probably wouldn't be, lol!  I have discussed breast cancer with him repeatedly!  Because I get Prolia injections due to treatment I have to time my dental work with him at the half way point between injections to decrease the risk for ONJ.  His wife is a stage 3 ovarian cancer survivor, doing great thank goodness, but we discuss the effect of chemo on tooth decay and all kinds of other cancer-y stuff. I was just there last week and we had quite the skin cancer discussion - which was actually mostly him since I had hands in my mouth. Now, he might be surprised if I unbutton my shirt, but who knows, maybe not!  Would that happen before or after you put on the bib thing?

global - yay for that!

• globalgal19
    globalgal19 Member Posts: 42
    Options

SpecialK :-)

• RainDew
    Options

evening ladies,

So I have officially christened righty Frankenfoob ;-)

I am more than halfway thru fills (300cc now) and I currently have one reasonable looking boob and one which is just...I dunno...looks like someone ran over it with a Mack truck. Somehow didn't fill to the bottom so it's up around my collarbone instead.

PS swears it'll fix in exchange if not before, so I'm not worried...honestly it just makes me giggle right now. Bringing home the ludicrous nature of this whole situation.

Go Frankenfoob!!

:-)

• grammakathy
    grammakathy Member Posts: 126
    Options

Raindew -  My cancer boob sits high and tight with the TE.  The other one can be slightly moved up and down, and left and right.  Crazy!  My PS assures me they will match after the exchange.  In clothing, I find that a shirt with a pattern on it makes it all go away.  If I wear something that is a solid color, they look crazy to me!  My friends say that they don't notice anything.  I wonder why I examine things so closely - must be the word CANCER!

• RainDew
    Options

haha - scarves are my friends..

• moonflwr912
    Options

shirts with patterns are the best. I wore my Cami for years with one half stuffed pocket and one half filled because my TE was only half filled. You just get through it any way you can. And yes, they do a lot during Exchange to make you look better. 

Much love

• ElaineE
    ElaineE Member Posts: 2
    Options

RainDew I laughed at your Frankenboob post! 

I had my first mastectomy in 2004, second in 2006 and have lived flat til last month when I had my TEs in.  Been doing 100cc per week and I'm at 450cc each but it's filled out up high, so my PS has told me to use the heel of my palms to push down to move the fill to the bottom.  Ummm... OUCH?!?  Anyone else here told by their PS to press down on their TEs?  He said do it daily.  Been doing 100ccs each fill but last nights was very painful, so next week I'll ask for less.  Was only going to 550cc so thought I only had one fill left but I'd rather make it two less painful ones.

• Olaf
    Olaf Member Posts: 133
    Options

Are your TEs high profile? Mine are and .I have lots of upper pole but never did my PS say to press down daily. Ouch!

• aviva5675
    aviva5675 Member Posts: 836
    Options

I never heard that. Just that they fill and move but not to worry about where they are or how they look- theyre only there to fill and make pockets that will eventually hold the implants. And when you get those they will be placed and put so you look nice.

• moonflwr912
    Options

well. The ONE thing that's for sure on here is EVERY P'S IS DIFFERENT!  LOL  

So PUSH,  elaine,PUSH!

sorry couldn't help myself..Winking

• IzzyB
    IzzyB Member Posts: 5
    Options

Just wanted to add a tip for those trying to still figure out how to sleep comfortably with your TE's. I sleep with 1-2 of the Fom Fun pillows from Brookstone (http://m.brookstone.com/fom-fun-pillow). I am able to sleep on both sides since about 4wks post op (once drains were out). They are filled with tiny foam beads so mold just to where you need support for your foob.  A friend of mine's mom is a BC survivor & she worked at a BC center where they swore by these amazing little pillows. You can probably find or make similar pillows a bit cheaper -- these have truly made my recovery & sleep soo much better. Peaceful sleeping!