Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

TEs. A Beginner's Primer

Options

Comments

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,937
    Options

scubalady, all kinds of things happen with TEs. Does it go away and come back? Or is it there all the time?. Does it get better or worse if you push on it? A lot of TES go into the armpit area and get uncomfortable.  If it's really bad please call your PS. Don't get another fill till it goes away. If it doesn't go away after awhile, then try a filling. It may push the TE to a new spot where it isn't so bad. Try a bit of ice and see if it helps.  But any changes should be checked by your PS.  Good luck and Much love. 

• scubalady
    scubalady Member Posts: 49
    Options

Moonflwr912, it's there pretty much all the time, but seems slightly better when I'm up walking around than when I'm sitting, and subtle changes in position will sometimes reduce it.  I can manage it without pain meds so I would consider it more to be very uncomfortable than unmanageable pain.  Almost like a strong pinching or poking feeling.  I see my PS tomorrow so I will ask him about it, but wanted some input from those who have actually had an expander.  I figure no matter how good my PS is and how long he's been doing this, he's never had one, so he can't really know what it feels like (lol).

• moonflwr912
    Options

Those darn TEs. Couldn't you just see your PS with "sympathy" (like the sympathy prego tummy!) Foobs! LOL it really is usually such a relief when we get the squishies!  LOL here's hoping it goes away for you. Much love

• aviva5675
    aviva5675 Member Posts: 836
    Options

towards the end after a fill one side pressed a nerve in my neck/upper back. It was manageable but painful, finally resolved itself after about a week.

• sandra4611
    sandra4611 Member Posts: 1,750
    Options

Scub, yes TE's can press on all sorts of things during the "journey" from flat to foob. That's why we are so glad to get rid of them! It's perfectly normal to feel weird things for days, then it's gone and something else takes it's place. Of course if it doesn't go away after a day or two, you should check with your doctor. Sometimes a new fill is just too much and the doctor can remove a bit of saline to make you more comfortable. 

• moonflwr912
    Options

Just checking In. Everybody doing ok? 

• juliecc
    juliecc Member Posts: 4,360
    Options

All is well in TE land here.  I'm only aware of my TEs when I take a deep breath which is often LOL.  I just feel tightness but not real pain.  Sometime my drain holes still hurt.  One more fill to go, then I wait 3+ months...

• Blessings2011
    Blessings2011 Member Posts: 1,801
    Options

Random thoughts on hugs..... I think I perfected a kind of "Pledge of Allegiance" stance with my right arm over my chest and my right hand somewhere above my heart... it could say "OH - I am SO happy to see you!" or I could dangle my left arm somewhere in the vicinity of their shoulder, making it perfectly obvious that I was protecting my recently surgically altered chest!

Random thoughts on sun..... Yikes - I learned this one the hard way. One hot day, I was out working in the yard, wearing a white camisole with a built-in shelf bra. I'd put on sunscreen wherever my skin was showing. (But of course, not under my clothes....). When I came in and took a shower, I had the WORST sunburn on my FOOBS (TEs)!!!!! Seriously, they were bright red. I put some ice packs on them, then cool compresses, then called my PS. He told me that because during BMX all the fatty and glandular tissue had been scraped away, there was nothing under the skin (besides the pecs) to absorb the burning rays of the sun. In the future, I would need to wear something very padded, or put good sunscreen on my boobs. (And I shouldn't be out in the sun anyway.)

Which brings me to my third random thought on.... ICE!!!!  According to my PS, anywhere else on the body, o.k., but NEVER on the foobs (TEs) or boobs (implants). See the above explanation of how thin the skin really is after BMX. Factor in having either NO sensation, thanks to severed nerves, or very little sensation in the skin on the TEs, there is a very good chance of FROSTBITE on the skin above TEs and reconstructed breasts.

He said that cool compresses were o.k., but no frozen stuff. Yowza - who knew?

Shocked

• Kazzy115
    Kazzy115 Member Posts: 69
    Options

thanks, blessings.  I've got a trip coming up in few weeks and expect to spend some time outdoors. This is incredibly good timing for me to hear and plan accordingly.

Appreciate the tips!

• iwannaseeyoubebrave
    iwannaseeyoubebrave Member Posts: 67
    Options

Blessings, excellent tips!  Thanks for sharing. 

I have a few more fills.  So far so good! After the first visit of 100cc fill, My PS is taking it very slow. 50cc every other week.  No major complaints! I'll just be certain to be careful in the sun!

• janett2014
    janett2014 Member Posts: 2,950
    Options

SO glad I found this thread! I had a bmx with expanders on April 16. I had many questions about my TEs, and most have been answered here. 

I am also realizing that I need to get more info from my ps, specifically about the little "armpit boobs." I hope he can assure me that those will be fixed during the exchange surgery. They are the reason I wear a bra most of the time. The foobs don't bother me, but those little armpit boobs just feel better with a stretchy bra on. 

I agree with everyone who says they like the Genie bra. I wear it at night without the inserts and during the day with inserts. It really helps my shape look better under clothes, which in turn makes me feel better. The other bra I sometimes wear at night is a Fruit of the Loom front closing sport bra: very comfy and economical ($8.00!). I got it at Walmart. Another tip: get a size bigger than you normally would, at least for these inexpensive bras.

By the way, always take the inserts OUT of the Genie before washing the bra. The inserts get ruined in the washing machine.

• moonflwr912
    Options

Jannette glad you found us!  I sense that you know the inserts in the Genie bra will be ruined in the wash by personal experience! LOL and do ask your PS about the "side boobage" "mudflaps" and "armpit boobs" "dog ears". LOL by any name a pain.

Blessings i never knew that about sunburned boobage! Geeze like we don't have enough to worry about! Learn something new every day!

I wanna,  love that things are on the express track for you. Keep it going that way!

Much love to all. 

• Calico59
    Calico59 Member Posts: 5
    Options

Mindy, I'm going through the same pain. My PS was surprised when I told him, and said that a lot of women aren't bothered at all by the TEs. Just had my 2nd fill-up yesterday (50 first time & 25 last time, at my request to take things slower), and still had to stay home from work today. There's no way I could handle moving my arms that much today. Just keep telling myself "this is temporary, this is temporary"

• moonflwr912
    Options

Calico,  you are still in the surgical recovery phase. I really don't understand when Doctors forget that. And since everyone is different they shouldn't be surprised. LOL.  I hope that keeping the fills will help. 

Much love. 

• vfay49
    vfay49 Member Posts: 51
    Options

My BMX with TEs was on April 7. My discomfort/pain has
    not let up. I have had one fill with the second scheduled next week.
    I am currently at 410 cc on left and 360 cc on right. My TEs are
    133MV-16-T with a fill capacity of 700 cc. I think my PS plans to even me out on this
    next fill. I have been going to physical therapy (only two sessions so
    far) to help get my full range of arm motion back. My PS also thought the
    PT may help with the discomfort/tightness but so far it has not.  I envy those who have had a pain free TE experience!

• Blessings2011
    Options

vfay49 - please remember that in addition to recovering from recent surgery, you have very large TEs in (16cm wide). Also, your TEs have tabs, which are sutured to your pectoral muscles/tissues to keep them in place. Most ladies do not get TEs with tabs.

SO - I would imagine you are having discomfort!!! I was in absolute misery for a full month after BMX. I got 180ccs in the OR. Fortunately, my PS believed in waiting to start regular fills.

I started a program of taking my pain meds (Norco and Valium) around the clock, and doing other things (hot showers on my back, massage) to lessen the pain.

By the time the PS started fills a month later, I was in much better shape, and in fact, found that some fills moved the TEs slightly off of compressed nerves, making me feel even better.

It may take some time, but THIS TOO, SHALL PASS!!!! Just repeat: TEs are temporary..... TEs are temporary....

Sending gentle hugs...

• moonflwr912
    Options

vfay. Sorry you are still in pain. As you know everyone is different. I only had pain for my last two filling s. Of course I waited 2 years for most of those fills. LOL.  You don't have to have big fills. You can skip a week if you need time to recover. Discuss the pain we it your PS. The pain I had right after BMX was a lot. I also felt the alloderm for at least 6 werks. Felt like a broken rib. Eased just a bit when I had my hand under my foob. Yes it looked wrird! LOL.  But it helped! LOL.  

• iwannaseeyoubebrave
    Options

Moon, I also had rib discomfort under the foob, caused by the Alloderm.  For a couple of weeks I was walking around with at least one had under a foob. :-) I guess a little pressure on that spot helped.  I thought I would be walking around like that forever and then one day I was walking and realized I know longer needed my helping hand.  LOL  It's amazing how every week gets better.  Don't get me wrong,  the TE are still bricks but it's doable! Knowing that one day I'll be squishy keeps me going.  

• vfay49
    vfay49 Member Posts: 51
    Options

Blessings2011 and Moonflwr912, Thank you for the words of encouragement.  I discovered that wearing a Genie bra gives me a little more support, especially with the side boobs, and therefore helps a little with the overall discomfort.  Of course, Advil and a 1/2 tablet of Norco also helps, but I keep thinking I should be off the Norco by now.  I did have a good day yesterday.  My husband and I went out to dinner with friends, and I was fine throughout the evening.  This morning I had another physical therapy session so I am feeling it. 

• moonflwr912
    Options

Vfay, I took my Norco for 3 weeks straight. Not even trying to slow down. The 4th week I started weaning myself off by seeing if I could wait an extra hour or 2. When I got to 6 hours in between I went back toy Tramadol that I take daily for knee pain. Because that is a long stretch in between pills. Then I would only take the Norco when I had a hard time at therapy or the weather cranked up my knee pain. I was off all but the Tramadol by 5 weeks. I still take tramadol daily but only for knee pain. I am allowed 4 a day but usually get by with 2. On really bad weather days it's a 3 pill day. And if anything else triggers a lot of pain I may take 4. But normally it's just 2 a day. Just do what you have to do.  I am glad you enjoyed a night out. I bet that felt real good! 

I wanna, that's funny. I really didn't want to know what I looked like holding my hand there all the time! LOL.  I guess I was lucky that usually only one side hurt at a time! LOL.  Otherwise I'd have looked like I was serving them up on a platter! LOL

Much love

• moonflwr912
    Options

Everybody doing OK? Anyone getting ready for squishies?

Have a great Memorial Day for all of you in the States. Everyone else have a great weekend!  LOL

• Jill_MN
    Jill_MN Member Posts: 11
    Options

Hi Ladies, I'm scheduled for a BMX on 5/29. Had rads 18 mo. ago on my right side. I'm feeling very anxious about saying goodbye to my boobs...I'm guessing that's typical. So glad I found this thread. I'm having TEs with tabs and saw one post that stated tabs are not very common.. Why is that? I haven't been granted access to the photo forum but am hoping to soon so I can see some success photos of implants after radiation.

Thanks for the tips on sunscreen, ice, etc. I also read that if you have to sneeze, you should put your hand on your chest to give it support or it hurts like the dickens.

Blessings all. I have a feeling I'll be checking in frequently throughout my journey.

• moonflwr912
    Options

Wishing you the "Express Train", Jill! No Detours, Scenic or otherwise. I see you are having lymph node remival. Is that a Sentinel Node surgery? Or a full ALND? If it is the full on you will have a bit more to recover from..sentinel nodes aren't bad except for the tracer that us injected. 

Feel free to ask questions as they come to you and check out the surgery board. Lots of good ideas but don't buy everything! LOL.  

You will not be allowed to use your arms to push or pull or lift. The T-Rex syndrome is like it sounds. You need to put things you need in reachable places. 

PS: take the pain pills! You will heal better and faster if you are not in pain. Some people don't need a lot, some do. If you do you don't score extra points by suffering. 

Much love. 

• Jill_MN
    Jill_MN Member Posts: 11
    Options

Thanks Moon. It's sentinel node...just to be sure no cancer has spread. Have a great weekend all.

• happyteacher
    happyteacher Member Posts: 45
    Options

Finally was able to get my first fill, a few weeks later than planned due to the fluid output delaying the drain removal for weeks.  What a blessing.  I was soooooo sore, and once I had the fill it was like flipping a light switch- constant pain went down to nothing.  I am pretty sure those puppies were smooshing some nerves, and the fill made them adjust to relieve the pain.  So much better :)

• Blessings2011
    Options

YAY, happyteacher!!

• juliecc
    juliecc Member Posts: 4,360
    Options

Great news, Happyteacher.  I'm sure you're releived!

I went clothes shopping today and saw this mannequin.  I laughed to myself thinking that's what my TEs look like when I try on some of my shirts.

• iwannaseeyoubebrave
    Options

Juliecc,  you are 100% correct!  LOL. This is the best visual explanation I've seen so far. 

• sandra4611
    Options

I think they look like two huge coconut shells stuck to your chest. They feel about the same at the end too, LOL.

• sandra4611
    Options

I posted the following info on the TE Trouble thread a few minutes ago, but thought it could be helpful for beginners because it's not about trouble...it's about variations under the heading of normal.

Just like all the other phases of this journey, your path may be different than anyone else's in some ways and exactly alike in others. In a way it's frustrating because you don't know what will happen. I decided to read and study all the possibilities so I would be prepared. (Surprises throw me for a loop. Preparation and information is what makes me calm.) Although I never thought I would have tissue expanders because I chose BMX with immediate permanent implants, fate intervened with an infection that caused me to lose muscle, soft tissue and the implant on one side only at 14 days post op. A TE was put in and three weeks later after the infection and the drains were gone, I started fills. I'd read of others having pain with only 25 cc's but even though I got 180 cc's, there was no pain. The next week I got 240 cc's and again, no pain at all. This continued with 100 cc and 80 cc fills up until the 680 cc mark. As it got bigger, there was minor tightness after a few hours but a Tylenol before bed chased it away. With only 120 cc's to go before the TE was full, I expected the second to the last fill to be as uneventful as the others had been. I got 60 cc's, my smallest fill yet. That evening pain started. WOW. How could the addition of 4 measly tablespoons of saline make such a HUGE difference? Fortunately I was only in pain for a couple of days, but that was enough for me to tell the plastic surgeon that I wanted to stop. 740 cc's would have to be good enough. Forget that last 60 cc's. A month later I had the exchange.

I learned that you really never know how it will go for you from week to week. Educate yourself on the possibilities but don't be surprised by curve balls out of nowhere. Also, don't be afraid of telling your PS to stop the fills , take some out, or at the very least, postpone them for another week or two. It will all work out in the end.