Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

TEs. A Beginner's Primer

Options

Comments

• Lakegirl1
    Lakegirl1 Member Posts: 158
    Options

above the incision on the problem side and at the old drain sites.  

• Blueberry4
    Blueberry4 Member Posts: 20
    Options

Hello all, thanks so much for creating this thread, moonflwr. I'm jumping over here from the March surgery group. Hi March sisters! 

My TEs are not troubling me, thank goodness, but do the zings and zots ever go away?

• sandra4611
    sandra4611 Member Posts: 1,750
    Options

Lake, the itching sounds like healing. Can you shower or pat with wet gauze?

Blueberry, I still get zaps, zings and zots from time to time, seven months after the first surgery, just not so strong thank goodness.

• sandra4611
    Options

Re: mudflaps   WARNING, scary picture below. I'm only 7 days out from my fourth surgery so the photo shows some of the incisions and bruising. Ignore that! The mudflap (aka mini-boob) is bigger than you'll have, I'm sure. The one on my other side is much smaller and the PS did lipo on it last week. It still sticks out because of swelling but he says it will have scar contraction and heal flat. The mini-boob you see here will continue to reside on my " Frankenstein left side" until my next surgery. To avoid the potential of infection, the PS didn't want to have another incision so close to the big Z shaped one and the one under the foob. (The left pocket was repaired and the implant changed again so that tissue, which is thin anyway, has been sliced open 4 times.) Once these incisions are healed (lots of internal stitches under the Z-plasty because of the muscle repairs) the PS will do a mudflap-ectomy as part of surgery #5. He asked if I was aware I'd have a longer scar from it and I said, "Are you kidding? My left side looks like a road map now, what's one more?"

• 2nd_time_around
    2nd_time_around Member Posts: 14,084
    Options

Sandra, great description of dog ear. 

Blessings, I must be confused too. The rolls of skin and tissue under my arm pits - that's what I call mudflaps. In my case, it was good to have them removed, not just for looks, but there must have been some residual lymph issues as manual massage would help. Since surgery, no longer have that pain. However, the incision was continued from the original ending point of the stage 1/2 surgeries under my armpit and around to my back - on both sides. It's so worth not having the pain any longer, especially since everything is healing nicely.

Now, I also had the crease at the inner edge of one side - exactly what Sandra did such a great job explaining. That crease looked like a dog ear to me. Since PS had to do pocket work anyway during revision, she get rid of it (it was as bad initially after exchange but became a little more pronounced as implants settled). If that was the only issue, I don't think I would have had revision sx, it wasn't that bad. 

• Rennasus
    Rennasus Member Posts: 642
    Options

Hi ladies, just discovering this new TE thread, so nice of Moon to start it!

So sorry if we scared any newbies over on the TE Trouble thread. It is, as the name suggests, a thread for those of us who have had (or who are having), $@#! trouble with the TE process. Remember, the majority of ladies do *not* experience the types of issues we have on the other thread.

Good luck to all! Should any of you hit any recon snags, you know where to find us snaggley TE troublemakers! :-)

• Mommyathome
    Mommyathome Member Posts: 876
    Options

Not sure where to post this question so I plop it in here :).  Do any of you have a vertical incision? My bs/ps did vertical incisions during my BMx. It sounds like most of you had horizontal incisions. Do you know how the choose one over the other? What are the pros and cons to each?

• Lakegirl1
    Options

MAH...mine are horizontal, but left goes up toward the armpit area as that is where the lumpectomy scar was from January 20 surgery.   Maybe that is part of the diff... 

• Smaarty
    Smaarty Member Posts: 2,618
    Options

Lakegirl, I think the itchy is normal, so is the weird snapping, zaps,etc. if you have ever been pregnant it reminds of the same itchy as your belly grew.  I use BioOil on my breasts, helps the skin heal and helps some with the itching. Mine itched like crazy after the last fill. I also found if I wore something 24/7 it helped with the little zaps and zingers. I now wear t-shirts or camis all the time. I'm small enough now that I don't have to wear a bra.

As far as the booblets, my ps won't touch them. Says he can remove the tissue but I won't be able to raise my arms up so I'm leaving mine alone. You can't tell when I'm dressed so I'm ok with it. They are also smaller now since I had the implants put in.

• sandra4611
    Options

Mommyathome, I have both vertical and horizontal. I've seen variations in placement of each of those on the picture forum.I know one woman who has a circular incision around the aerola. Some photos show a horizontal scar BUT it is in the middle of the breast, not under the implant, hidden in the fold (IMF.) The vertical pictures I've seen show the incision in the middle of the breast from just above where the nipple was, down to the IMF.

I know why I have both vertical and horizontal in the IMF (gigantic FFF breasts), but not why others would have one or the other or why it's placed where it is. Perhaps it's just the preference of the PS. My horizontal incisions start underarm, almost to my back, and continues along the IMF Then it goes vertical in the middle, about halfway, and back down, continuing horizontal to within about a inch from the sternum on each side. 

• aviva5675
    aviva5675 Member Posts: 836
    Options

Mine are vertical. I originally had lx and reduction on right with reduction on left at same time, so had the 'anchor' shaped scars. Kept my nipples then. Had bmx 10 days later after path report came back with invasive tumors. No nipples now, and he went in thru the vertical scars, which are taller now. I still have the horizontal ones under neath. He went in thru those for my exchange.

• Previvor101
    Previvor101 Member Posts: 126
    Options

howdy, 

Mommyathome, I have the peri-areolar incision around the nipple. My surgeon said that it can only be done when pre-operative boobs are not too big or droopy. Also only for NSM. My images are on the picture forum if you are interested and have access

• Mommyathome
    Options

Lakegirl1,

My incision goes from where my nipples was :( to just above the base of my breast... Apparently when I get the nipple and areola done its supposed to cover up much of the incision. The only incision part that will show is right under the areola... 

• Mommyathome
    Options

Thanks ladies for sharing. It certainly is interesting y some ps do different things.... I guess they have their reasons. The ps said when I do the exchange they should only have to open like 3/4 of the incision... Fingers crossed

• Lakegirl1
    Options

My horizontal  incisions are basically pit to pit  with  about 3-4 inches in the middle, per PS, no fly zone in the middle for cleavage!!!!!  

• Jenwith4kids
    Jenwith4kids Member Posts: 216
    Options

I had an epiphany this morning..Happy, and I wanted to share. I had my surgery on 2/14 and started chemo on 3/20. One of my biggest fears before chemo was of feeling really crappy from chemo ON TOP of still hurting from surgery (imagining leaning over the toilet with these TEs, or not being able to roll into the fetal position in bed when I was so miserable, etc....)

Well, I got through. Last Friday I woke up and it felt like a cloud had lifted, this was one of the best weekends I've had since dx. I just felt good. (in full disclosure, I did close the weekend with a pretty intense cry - - I just needed it I guess...)

The epiphany, you ask? I realized that my overall physical status has moved from miserably uncomfortable to totally tolerable. The TEs will never feel normal, BUT - at the moment, they are just here, they are what they are: a little annoying, but they don't hurt anymore. I sleep on my side almost effortlessly, my husband hugged me full on last night and it didn't hurt (bothered my port a bit, but that's minor). I can do this.

Now my anxiety is around the fact that I have only three more days until my next infusion. I better enjoy them!

Also want to share that at the recommendation of my PT, I bought a genie bra. the "as seen on TV" genie bra. Best Bra Ever!! Totally comfortable, totally affordable. The day I put it on I wore it 24 hours straight!

(FYI: I am 5'3", 140lbs, was a 34D, My TE's have a capacity of 500cc, I am currently at 450cc - got 300 during surgery, then two fills, a 50 and a 100 - surgeon says no more fills until after chemo and even then he thinks I might be done. No exchange until well after radiation, so these TE's have to stay for a while.)

This morning was a real milestone for me!

Jen

• iwannaseeyoubebrave
    iwannaseeyoubebrave Member Posts: 67
    Options

Jen, thanks for sharing your story.  It's always great to hear some positives.  I think so far what I've missed most are big bear hugs.  We are a family that loves big hugs. I haven't had a big hug since surgery.  Your story makes me smile knowing there are tough days but it's doable,  temporary and it will get better.  I'm looking forward to some big hugs in my near future.  :-)  Thanks for sharing your milestone. Enjoy your day! 

• globalgal19
    globalgal19 Member Posts: 42
    Options

Checking in.  Too tired to write much but I'm fine, mostly.  Op went well and today when I saw the PS I was astounded by how good I look and we're not done.  Will write to share details tomorrow when I have more energy.  DID get drains out today.  :-)  See you tomorrow.  

• sandra4611
    Options

Good news from our surgery sisters today!

• sandra4611
    Options

For those who are wondering about post-op exercise, here's a link to a wonderful video.

http://breastcancerrehabilitation.com/Rehabilitation.html

• sarahjane7374
    sarahjane7374 Member Posts: 23
    Options

Mommyathome - I also have vertical scars.  And when I had my exchange, they were partially reopened.

Jenwith4kids - I agree with you on the Genie Bra.  I have a bunch and still wear them sometimes.  I don't require support now with the implants, but sometimes it's just more comfy to wear a bra and the Genie is perfect for that.  I even sleep in them.  Glad you are feeling better!    I was always "aware" of the TEs.  Even when they did not hurt, I always knew they were there.   I am still "aware" of the implants.  They don't feel 100% like part of me, and I don't know if they ever will, but they are becoming my new normal.

• sandra4611
    Options

Sarajane, I'm with you. I feel the implants 24/7. However others have said that by this time next year, I won't.

• iwannaseeyoubebrave
    Options

My tissue expanders with Alloderm were placed on 3/6, 200cc fill at time of surgery.  First fill was last Monday with an additional 100cc in each expander.  My next fill is next Monday.  The last couple of days, especially today, I feel the expanders are more squishy and maybe the saline has settled to the bottom, gravity I suppose.  I'm just looking for some reassurance or commonality out there from you all.  My right TE (non-cancerous) seems to be settling lower and more uncomfortable (stabbing sensations at times) around the Alloderm, under the arm pit.  Left side (initial lumpectomy and SNB) seems to be siting a little higher.  Maybe due to less skin to stretch from lumpectomy?  I dunno.  Just seems to be that things are getting a little more squishy lately and feels like things are moving around more (saline?)  Just thought I'd throw this out there and would love to hear your thoughts.  Thanks!

• Lakegirl1
    Options

Iwannaseeyoubebrave...my ps has already said there will be some pocket work at exchange...whenever that is and I haven't had any fills. So, your PS can likely make some adjustments at that point. 

• AZ85048
    AZ85048 Member Posts: 1,467
    Options

iwannaseeyoubebrave - I certainly don't want to be the one to burst your bubble, but TEs get harder (firmer) as they fill.  Their sole purpose (other than making you miserable) is to stretch your skin substantially enough for implant placement down the road.  Wow, 200ccs at surgery?  And 100ccs per fill - that's a lot unless you had some serious tatas prior to BMX.  If that's the case and the TEs are of the 'large variety' (oh, you know what I mean) you might have some sloshing and movement in there until they fill up more.  But eventually, they get rock hard and fill wide before they fill out.  My arms would bump into the sides of my TEs toward the end - and mine weren't all that big!  Shocked  If you ask real nice, Moon might even tell you about how she used to run into door frames and such with hers!  LOL!  Loopy  And yes, I vividly remember the rib pain (it's just part of the deal) because sometimes, the TEs sit on a nerve.  It will eventually go away...  You're going to do just fine!

• Lakegirl1
    Options

I got 360cc's in each at 1st surgery...no wonder I was having muscle spasms in my chest that 1st night!!!  After 2nd surgery on right, still came out with 240cc's.    I wasn't really sure what to expect.  I think it made it easier coming out of surgery after bmx to have something there. I think the surgical report said they took approx 900 grams each side.   I asked the PS if I had lost weight just from taking those off!!!  I'll take the weight loss wherever I can get it!!!

• iwannaseeyoubebrave
    Options

Lakegirl1, what is  pocket work ?  p.s. I love your name.  I'm a lake girl as well.  We are a windsurfing family and enjoy the lake every weekend in the summer.  Not sure how much of that will be happening this summer but at least I'll be in my happy place.

AZ8508048, thanks for the reassurance.  I'm hoping for some extra large.Nerdy   Moon did mentioned the doorframes in a previous comment.   Hubby is on standby to widen the door frames if need be.Winking  What a crazy process these TE are!  I've seen some pictures of how wonky they can end up looking before the implants.  I'm strapped in and ready for this crazy ride!

• globalgal19
    Options

I'm one week out from surgery, reduction on left and TE inserted on right. PS put in 300 cc in the TE during surgery. Drains were taken out on Monday. Oddly, that was my greatest fear going into this. I'd had a back op in 2002 and the UMX last May. Taking out those drains hurt. Taking out the 2 drains after this op -- no big deal.

AZ:  You said sloshing around, really??????  Loopy   So far nothing is moving at all but it is MUCH better than being concave.  Am thrilled to have something on my chest on both sides. The improvement to the left side is remarkable.  Looking down at my own nipple up so high, brings a smile to my face.  I don't miss Ms. Droopy at all.  

What's bothering me the most now is not the TE but the AlloDerm on both sides.  I wake up fine but by afternoon it feels like the bra is too tight,  Before I understood this is related to the AlloDerm I had unhooked the bottom two hooks on the surgical bra, with NO relief.  PS Nurse suggest taking Alleve and I've started that.  Yesterday used a dose of the pain med before bed.  Helped.

Was advised that now I could sleep flat and try sleeping on my side but with pillows tucked in.  Didn't hurt on my side until I got flat on my back again, then kazowie.  Think I will stay on my back for a while longer.

I have my first fill on April 16.  PS said that he and I will do this together.  I like that.  He wants to do a good fill the first time because the area is more pliable, or something like that.  100-150.  I was a DD and I've asked for a C.  Anyone know about how much that would be in cc's?

Thanks for all the encouragement.

• AZ85048
    AZ85048 Member Posts: 1,467
    Options

globalgal19 - You said it yourself in your first sentence. "I'm one week out from surgery, reduction on left and TE inserted on right."  You're one week out of major surgery, so you still have swelling to deal with and that's part of the pain.  The longer you're up and moving around, the more you swell, that's why it's important to take it as easy as possible these first couple of weeks.  ThumbsUp

iwannaseeyoubebrave - Pocket work is when the PS literally creates  'pockets' for the implants to sit in - kind of like an internal bra you never take off.  It prevents implant rotation, moving upward or downward altering the location or shape of the submammary crease, and/or capsule contracture.  Scared

• globalgal19
    Options

Thanks AZ, I need to be reminded of that.  I kind feel bad not doing things around the house.  DH is good at it though and has not complained.  Will continue to take it easy.

Hugs!