Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

TEs. A Beginner's Primer

Options

Comments

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,937
    Options

I have 2 different sizes I only wore a few times when I was waiting for my implants and was really lopsided. I was that way for 2 years. I too would be interested in giving them away too. Do ANY body OUT there?

And yes, Sandy us right. I just gad Exchange city drop off for a week. Sigh. 

• globalgal19
    globalgal19 Member Posts: 42
    Options

GrammaKathy, I know my prothesis was $375 - gratefully covered by insurance.  We been able to send diabetic testing supplies.  People just need so much in so many parts of the world, but I just happen to have this connection to Kenya.

• sandra4611
    sandra4611 Member Posts: 1,750
    Options

I just Googled places to donate breast prosthesis and there are many. Here's a link to one you might be interested in, the American Cancer Society. They are happy to receive your no longer needed wigs too.

http://americancancersociety.thegivingeffect.com/

• grammakathy
    grammakathy Member Posts: 126
    Options

Sandra and Globalgal19 - thank you for this information.  Mine was covered by insurance also but not everyone is so lucky.  I am thrilled to be able to hand it on to someone else.

• 2nd_time_around
    2nd_time_around Member Posts: 14,084
    Options

Grammakathy, there's a "local" place I brought my prosthesis forms, bras and old swimsuits that accommodated a prosthesis. It took a bit of calling around, but places will gladly accept them for women who can't afford them. Let me look up the info and I will PM.

• grammakathy
    grammakathy Member Posts: 126
    Options

Thank you 2nd_time - I emailed them this morning!

• 2nd_time_around
    Options

Cool! I'm sure there are women who greatly appreciate the gift since they don't have insurance and can't afford it! Best part, is getting it out of your house as a constant reminder (had that with chemo hats I've hanging on to since 1997), sent them off to a friend last year. What a relief not seeing them in my closet any longer (and she got use out of them, something she didn't have to purchase)

Close the chapter on the prosthesis wearing!

• globalgal19
    globalgal19 Member Posts: 42
    Options

Great to know Sandra, will check it out that like for donations.  

Just reading a few older posts.  I had not considered getting another bra to get me thru the TE fillings.  I've seen Genie mentioned, will check it out.

I had my FIRST FILL on Wednesday, expected it to hurt.  Pleased to report I didn't feel a thing!  Astonishing.  150 cc's added.  2nd fill in 3 more weeks.  My DD was standing next to the doc and she couldn't believe I didn't feel anything.  PS said I might feel a pinch but truly did not.  

I don't understand that but am grateful.

Went to a water aerobics class this morning. Not my usual instructor and can't say I enjoyed it as much as I normally do.  Also made some mayonnaise (can't have soy and it's hard to find), and did a little more gardening.  

Yep, I'm tired.  Dinner will be leftovers.  

Also wanted to comment on an earlier post about feeling like people are staring at you.  Oddly, I only feel that way around people I know, but who don't know about my BC.  A few of them are coming to my home for a class Saturday and Sunday, should be interesting.  I've simply not been too concerned about it with people I don't know.

I do have AlloDerm and it bothers me, not on the ribs just feels like my bra is too tight.  Fortunately mostly notice it late in the day and week by week it is less.

So very grateful for this thread.Happy

• AZ85048
    AZ85048 Member Posts: 1,467
    Options

globalgal19 - Have you found the 'Bras 101 - The Great Post Exchange Debate' thread yet?  If not, here's a link:

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/44/topic/753120?page=167#idx_5007

There's great information over there and some really good recommendations whether you're still in TEs or have made it through exchange!  I hear good things about the Genie bra - and I also hear that the price is right!  Winking

• moonflwr912
    Options

HOPPY SPRING EVERYONE! 

• Blessings2011
    Blessings2011 Member Posts: 1,801
    Options

ThumbsUpSmile

• sandra4611
    Options

Moonflwr & Sandra  April 21, 2014 

Thank you Moon for driving down from Wisconsin to meet me. First meeting, but old friends on BCO.
  • moonflwr912
    Options

I did enjoy meeting with you and your DH. 

Well do it again sometime. Maybe we can get Lago to join us too. 

Much love

• Olaf
    Olaf Member Posts: 133
    Options

Tomorrow marks 4 weeks with TE. Upon waking I feel a sensation of extra heaviness that eventually subsides. But it has kept me from attending my early morning spin class. My TEs also cause my armpits to feel like there's a rash. I guess this is to be expected (?) as I came out of the OR 3x as big! My BS said I only had 100cc per breast (30AA). I also find it very uncomfortable sleeping flat on my back. I still prop pillows behind a husband pillow. I ordered a wedge pillow to help out. I have done my ROM exercises and it has helped.

• 2nd_time_around
    Options

Olaf, what you're feeling is typical. Many of us sleep in a recliner because it's so much more comfortable. I couldn't sleep in a bed lying down for months. Things are still settling for you, muscles and nerves trying to heal and reconnect. If you have concerns, could you call PS's office and speak to a nurse to reassure yourself? Your body has gone thru so much, give yourself some time to adjust and no matter how great you feel, do not overdo. Hoping the wedge pillow helps

• Previvor101
    Previvor101 Member Posts: 126
    Options

one thing I struggle with is when people want up give you a big hug. The TE's constantly hurt and aches (feels like a huge bruise across my chest) and the last thing I want is someone to squeeze me. I try backing away but doesn't always work (especially if they don't know me well and don't realize I have had surgery). So how do you politely decline a hug???

• aviva5675
    aviva5675 Member Posts: 836
    Options

could say 'oh Im recovering from a bit of surgery, sorry, " and do a big hand squeeze?

• moonflwr912
    Options

You can usually tell the huggers before they hug! LOL.  Lean forward grab their neck and squeeze..  er... i mean put your arm around their neck and lean into the neck bending your body down a bit for a quick hug not getting the boobs smashed. Pat their back too. It prevents a bear hug and they still feel close which is why they hug. But if that doesn't do it use a vivas suggestion! 

• Rennasus
    Rennasus Member Posts: 642
    Options

Hey Moon! Great to see you and many of the other ladies from the TE Trouble thread over here. Wonderful idea to start a thread for TE beginners!

:-)

• Olaf
    Olaf Member Posts: 133
    Options

Has anyone played golf with TEs? My PS told me I could but just wondering.

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,226
    Options

You hug averse people have to perfect the "side hug" - when someone goes in to hug, only put one arm around them and turn slightly away from them so the hug ends up looking like this:

This is an actual thing - google it. There is also the "awkward side hug" and a number of others, notably the "man hug" lol!

• Dulcigirl
    Dulcigirl Member Posts: 864
    Options

That's EXACTLY what I did, SpecialK. Lol. Didn't realize it was "a thing" though. 

Worst case scenario, I just took one for the team. It only hurt for a couple of seconds. My big fear was that they would wonder why I was wearing a Viking bra....but most hugging people already knew about the bc and did not think they should hug me, anyway. 

• happyteacher
    happyteacher Member Posts: 45
    Options

Previvor- I am actually scared about this.  I teach elementary school and have over 800 students and a huggy type staff that I work with.  The adults will get it- the kids though are going to be problematic.  The last thing I want to do is make them feel bad, but no joke on a normal day I must get at least 30 hugs. And when I first return to work those numbers are going to be through the roof.  Only saving grace is I am 6'2'' so at least my kids in K-1 will not be tall enough to pose an issue.  

• sandra4611
    Options

I also like the "butt out" hug. There is a possibility of some chest to chest action, but not much. When someone pulls you in to hug, just angle your body away by bending a bit at the waist and pushing your butt out. You'll end up just hugging at the shoulders. I do this most of the time now after the side hug failed me when someone pulled me in too tight. The side of the foob got squished. Ouch...especially after surgery.

• juliecc
    juliecc Member Posts: 4,360
    Options

Sandra, I do the butt out hug even though my expanders don't hurt anymore.  I don't want people to feel the water balloons on my chest!

• Previvor101
    Previvor101 Member Posts: 126
    Options

I definitely need to start practicing these. Thanks.

• budrfligal13
    budrfligal13 Member Posts: 105
    Options

Hi ladies.  First time here to this thread.  I'm going on 6 months of filling now.  I'm nearing the end.  I'm wondering when my PS will sit me down finally and show me my options.  I'm dying to feel the implants.  I didn't have too much trouble throughout.  Don't get me wrong, the tight feeling is annoying, but I'm so used to it now.  Come to think of it, I don't remember what it feels like to NOT be uncomfortable.  But it doesn't stop me.  I Spin 5x's a week, do Pilates, and light weights.  My PS told me I could continue Spinning, but no planks when we near the exchange.  I'm getting excited, as I cannot wait to get out of this phase!  I admit, aesthetics and intimacy issues are creeping their ugly heads in slowly....

Will I be fairly squishy?  Will my new nipples be nice?  How about men? What about foreplay? Yada, Yada, Yada.....

Shocked

• moonflwr912
    Options

budr, glad you haven't any overt problems! We do like to hear that! And the next time you schedule a fill, tell the schedule you need a bit more time for questions. Then write down your questions when you think of them and you won't have to try to remember when he's rushing through the appt. Do you know if you are getting saline, silicone, shaped implants? Each of those are different and need different work done. Did you ask about size? What you think you want to  have versus what he is planning? Do you know TES are going to stick out a lot more than the final implants? Plus the implants don't have a cone shape but are flat in front? Have you decided on nipples? If so, what kind? Reconstructed? Or 3D nipples? If recon, you know you'll have headlights on ALL the time? LOL.  That should get your thinking cap on to start the list. Then you can go in prepared a bit to get some answers. 

Much love. 

• aviva5675
    aviva5675 Member Posts: 836
    Options

budr also check out the exchage thread, more info and ladies in the process or just gone thru that can help answer some of your questions!

• scubalady
    scubalady Member Posts: 49
    Options

I'm having a TE issue that I don't think is from stretching from last Monday's fill, but feels like the expander may be pressing on a nerve a little way down from my armpit.  Has anyone had an expander hitting a nerve and haas it subsided as the expander was filled more?