Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

TEs. A Beginner's Primer

Options

Comments

• sandra4611
    sandra4611 Member Posts: 1,750
    Options
  • RoseBuds
    RoseBuds Member Posts: 28
    Options

I posted some new photos on the picture forum, I am please with my new girls!

Kathy

• globalgal19
    globalgal19 Member Posts: 42
    Options

Gggrrrrr...computer did something and I lost my nearly finished post.  So here goes again.

First and foremost, I really need to check this board each day.  So much good info.

WOT, I love the idea of The "Missing Breast Manual".  

Concerns:  

**Tomorrow night (Weds) we are going to a gathering of friends who don't know about my BC as I was dealing with all that in San Diego, CA prior to moving to NC.  I was a DD and now I'm a TE and Reduction, two weeks out from surgery, not quite even, and well, sure look different.  Can't quite imagine anyone asking Where did your breasts go? but then I'm sure we've all had some well-meaning friends say hurtful and insensitive things.  So yes, I am a bit nervous.  Duh, had't thought of scarves.  Thanks gals.  But am open to other ideas about how to disguise the temporary me.

**My TE side is tight and hard, which from reading this board is normal.  The reduction side seems to be spreading out under my arm.  Is that normal?  Only this morning I removed a small piece of tape, and when I looked in the mirror was surprised to see the incision goes around my left side toward my back.  Is this normal?

**My attitude has been pretty good thru all this but at his moment, I'm feeling a bit down.  Normal too?

Went to buy plants for my garden and also did some grocery shopping.  Part of this with DH and the last run on my own.  Came home totally pooped and told DH he would have to fix dinner, which he did, while I sat and read.  Guess I need to slow down.

• 1MindyydniM1
    1MindyydniM1 Member Posts: 22
    Options

rosebuds...I saw them!  You look great! scars look awesome as well!

• globalgal19
    Options

Help please.  How do I find the Pictures, I did look but don't see anything.

tks

• AZ85048
    AZ85048 Member Posts: 1,467
    Options

globalgal19 - The Picture Forum is a site that is totally separate from BCO. A BCO member, nowheregirl, created it years ago, and maintains it, along with her trusty sidekick, Lilah.  You'll need to send a Private Message to Lilah (or nowheregirl) to request access. 

This is a link to the picture forum thread, which tells you more about what's required. The first post in the blue box was deleted accidentally, but just read the very first post right after that and it will explain their protocol:

http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/44/topic/805466?page=1

• 1MindyydniM1
    Options

You most likely know this...but you can only access the forum if you get approval by nowheregirl. after that...or if you already have...once you log in at the top it should say "picture forum" click it..pic a category and then  scroll down and you can read different posts from users. The pics are hidden in the persons thread they create. Mine is under username MindyydniM...thread title...New here.

I hope this helped...new to the forum myself!

Please correct me if im wrong! lol

• 1MindyydniM1
    Options

AZ answered it better!

• Previvor101
    Previvor101 Member Posts: 126
    Options

Globalgal, I am currently mastering the art of distraction and disguise. At work I suspect some people still think I had a month off for an exotic holiday and haven't noticed I am missing bits. My tips to draw attention away from suddenly reduced (or asymmetric) boobs:

1. Lots of eye make up and bright lipstick. Their eyes will be drawn to this and not be wandering down where you don't want them to go.

2. No low cut or v neck tops. My wardrobe  previously consisted of beautiful wrap dresses. They are currently sitting in the corner of the wardrobe waiting for an outing

3. Scarfes. There are some beautiful and trendy Scarfes out there with tassels and pompoms. I thave a selection (to match any outfit) and tend to wear them a lot. Unfortunately sometimes gets a bit hot!!!

4. Bit jewellery. Once again, the art of distraction.

• iwannaseeyoubebrave
    iwannaseeyoubebrave Member Posts: 67
    Options

I got my 2nd fill this past Monday.  I was a little anxious about how much she was going to put in since my first office fill was 100cc after surgery. I keep reading the best way is "slow grow". Thankfully she only put 60 cc in each so I'm now at 360 in each.  My next fill is in 2 weeks.  All in all, things are looking pretty good.  I have some skin wrinkling at the end of one of my incisions but she said not to worry, that it will be corrected.  :-)

• globalgal19
    Options

Previvor and AZ thanks for the tips.  I have been out of the house a couple of times but not to places where I actually know people so it will be interesting.  I do have a number of scarves and love the idea about distractions.  So very helpful.

Am waiting for the PS nurse to call.  I've notice something which MAY BE a bit odd. I feel like some of my left breast (reduction side) has moved under my arm.  Wast it like that before and I didn't notice, or is this something of which to be concerned?

UPDATE PS Nurse just called, said it may be fluid. Will see them at 4 PM tomorrow.  Said the doc can numb and "tap" it.   

• Previvor101
    Previvor101 Member Posts: 126
    Options

had my expansion yesterday and feel blah! Had to call in sick to work today as wasn't sure I would cope. Lefty feels like it is in my armpit and Righty so high up on my chest it hurts when I move left arm. Couldn't sleep, feel uncomfortable and sorry for myself..

Whine over. At least they are temporary and end in sight (exchange booked for 9th May!). Surgeon said that he can fix the asymmetry but now fretting about it.

• 1MindyydniM1
    Options

Previvor....I wish my exchange was in may....Im looking at june/july due to my ps being on maternity leave......(big long sigh)

It will be here soon. that's what I keep telling myself anyways!

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,937
    Options

ridiculous. Somehow I knocked this thread off favorites. I see Sandra has been filling in! Thank goodness. Sorry about that. 

• sandra4611
    Options

There's nothing wrong with a pity party. We've all had one or two (or more?) This is a tough journey.

• globalgal19
    Options

Hi all,

Previvor, I totally understand. I've been sort of okay, since reconstruction op on 3/26.  Hang in there. We are here for you.

Turned out I didn't have any fluid, all is well.  However, I'm starting to getting these pains.  PS Nurse said it's the nerves waking up.  Assuming I'm not the only one with this experience.

I have my FIRST fill this coming Wednesday.  As I've heard mixed reviews, feeling a bit nervous.

The PS nurse gave me some highly concentrated Vit E to massage into the incisions.  It's like a gel. Has anyone else used it?  Years ago we always used Vit E for burns.

Hope all of your weekends have weather as nice as we have here.

• Dulcigirl
    Dulcigirl Member Posts: 864
    Options

Global...yep. I had zingers and zaps for a while too. They do go away eventually. I also had hypersensitive skin. Drove me CRAZY!! That also goes away eventually.  

• globalgal19
    Options

Dulcigirl, now that is good news.  I had one the first week after the op but this past and a few since but the past couple of  days they are zinging and zapping more often.  

• moonflwr912
    Options

global those come and go. The weirdest one I had was a zinger that went from the beginning of an incision to the very end of it almost 24 inches long. It's the one where he took off the mudflaps. So from where the nipple was to my back a zinger that felt like a burning zipper. From one end to another. That was it for the long one. Other than that just little zaps and zips. 

• globalgal19
    Options

Moonflwr:  oh my goodness!  So far just the little ones but they sure get my attention.

• MacEwanmom
    MacEwanmom Member Posts: 2
    Options

I have just spent the last couple of days viewing this amazing site.  It has been a week of "firsts" so I have finally decided to end my week with my First Post.  I had my MX (left) and SNB with TE placement on Tuesday.  Although it was a long day I was very glad to not have to stay the night in hospital.  Nothing beats sleeping in your own bed!

Thanks to everyone for posting on their experiences with BC and in particular with TE's.  I am still trying to grasp all the body changes that have occurred with the loss of body parts and gain of replacement parts. While my primary concern right now is being cancer free I must admit that the reconstruction will be providing me with some distractions while we wait for the next and hopefully final pathology report.

It is so helpful to read such a variety of experiences.  I don't think anyone can really know how they are going to feel about the loss of a breast and the replacement with a foreign body. Despite the PS saying the TE would be placed higher in the chest I was surprised at just how high and firm it is to start (180cc at placement).  Did anyone experience occasional hand numbness after TE placement? Is this something that is more likely to occur with fillings if I am already experiencing it now?  It feels more like nerve impingement (unfortunately am quite familiar with this d/t neck stenosis - left side of course - everything is always left on me.) Many folks talk about the TE pressing into the armpit but did any of you start with the sensation that it was already there? I will be able to discuss with the PS when I get my drain out next week but as we are all finding out it is just nice to hear from those who have had similar experiences.

So nice to know your out there.

• Lakegirl1
    Lakegirl1 Member Posts: 158
    Options

MacEwanmom....Welcome.  I too have a bad neck, impingement at c4-c5 that rears it's ugly head more frequently than I would like.I did have a little of that, but for me..I just thought it was from the way they positioned my head/neck throughout surgery, approx 6 1/2 hours.  I'm also still sleeping in the recliner, which never helps the cause. 

If it doesn't improve, definitely something to bring up to PS. 

GOOD LUCK!!!  

• AZ85048
    Options

MacEwanmom - Welcome to Moon's thread (and to 'the club')!  If you haven't found them already, two other threads that might interest you are Exchange City:

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/44/topic/728266?page=1096#idx_32853

And BREAST IMPLANT SIZING 101 run by our dear whippetmom (the woman is a veritable fountain of information on what size, brand, and type implant would be best for your particular body - just in case you have any questions about that part of the 'experience'...)  Winking

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/44/topic/746448?page=352#idx_10551

Look around and make yourself at home...  ThumbsUp

• AZ85048
    Options

globalgal19 - Yes, the zaps, when they start, can really grab your attention Shocked And hopefully you can bypass the skin hypersensitivity that many of us experienced in the beginning.  Dulcigirl mentioned it above.  My skin hypersensitivity was constant.  (It literally hurt to wear or put anything across my upper chest because it felt like I had a terrible sunburn all the time).  That lasted
    about a month or more and then one day I woke up and it was just gone.  Weird I
    know, but it's the truth.  That part was rough, but once I figured out how to deal with it, it wasn't too bad - just really uncomfortable and annoying.  Like so many things that have to do with recovery, this too shall pass... 

• MacEwanmom
    MacEwanmom Member Posts: 2
    Options

Thanks for the welcome and all the informative reading.  Did anyone on this site use the Amoena Purfit Prosthesis that is designed for use with TE's?  I was just wondering how soon  post surgery you can start to insert into your surgical bra?  Any things other than incision/numbness to consider?

• moonflwr912
    Options

I used the Amoena camisole with poofs the day I went home from my BMX.  I also used it after my TE placements and removals. 

• sandra4611
    Options

Heads up! Mike and I will be in Chicago for a week beginning Wednesday April 16th. If you are in the area, let me know. Hopefully we can meet somewhere for tea, coffee, drinks...whatever.

• globalgal19
    Options

Welcome MacEwanmom!

AZ Other than zaps, mainly on the reduction side, I've not had any of the other things mention. I've had numbness in my hands but for me, not related to any of this.  Also don't think I have any skin hypersensitivity.  Altho on the TE side I have a bit of a rash.  

After the first op, with UMx, I had a pain in my arm, or was it my armpit, that never seemed to let up.  But I had a session with a lady in Canada, who did some kind of treatment I still don't understand, just talking to me, and that pain in the arm disappeared and has never returned.  She didn't even know it was a problem.

I went to the Y this morning and did a gentle type of water aerobics with other Cancer Survivors.  I'm rather tired but it felt great to get back in the water.

I know nothing about the Amoena camisole, so will check it out.  Have been wondering what to do with my Amoena Prosthesis.  My son-in-law will be visiting next week from Kenya and I'm thinking I should give it to him to take back to find a woman who could benefit.  If any of you had one/two, what did you do with them?

As today is the 14th I wonder if, yet again, I'm not seeing all the posts.  Hmm.  Will Submit and see if more come up.

• sandra4611
    Options

Sometimes threads fall off of our "Favorites" list. I've had it happen several times and I know Moon has reported it happening to her. Probably a good idea to look on the "Active Threads" list once in a while to make sure you haven't lost any of your favorites.

• grammakathy
    grammakathy Member Posts: 126
    Options

@globalgal19 - I was also wondering if there was a place I could donate my gently used prosthesis.  They are so expensive and I hate to see it unused when it could mean something to someone who needed it.  Let me know if you find out anything - or if anyone else has a place I could ship it to.