Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

TEs. A Beginner's Primer

Options

Comments

• WenchLori
    WenchLori Member Posts: 1,027
    Options

Yay, BringOn2017! I'm glad you are finished being a pin cushion too! I don't have a problem of taking my shirt off with my PS, MO, BSor RO in the room. I've had to do it a lot in the past year so maybe that's why it doesn't bother me?

• trmtab
    trmtab Member Posts: 856
    Options

I understand the getting naked part...for me it seems that some of my providers are a bit taken aback by me...maybe it is because I am a UMX. I have a high and tight 800 cc TE on the left and a droopy 55 y.o. DD on the R...in a bra they look like sisters (not twins), but without a bra...they don't even look like cousins!

• WenchLori
    Options

TrmTab, you always make me smile. They can be a friend of a friend but that sounds to weird!

• bringon2017
    bringon2017 Member Posts: 60
    Options

Hi Could be (probably is) my so utter self consciousness is due to my BS and PS being my colleagues. Would spend the 3 days before each visit bothering more about that than anything else! 

And was so thankful that the MO did not need to examine me!

Sounds crazy with so much going on! 

I've now stopped wearing the awful corset bra and strap and was bothering about finding a decent bra... But wow realised I don't quite need a bra. Camisole is enough. Small mercies! Now I have to see what I'll wear in summer. 

I have surprisingly regained most of my sensation. Pinprick was back half way during my fills worse luck! Still have some problems with cording in the left. Ironic really as the sentinel node and another three were taken out from the right. Are any of you having problems with cording?

• Herculesmulligan
    Herculesmulligan Member Posts: 61
    Options

blech I had terrible cording on my right side. Pt has been helpful to break it down but still not normal.

Trmtab you're so funny

• lrwells50
    lrwells50 Member Posts: 74
    Options

I'm getting projection as my TEs are filled - if only they weren't right under my collarbone!

• lrwells50
    lrwells50 Member Posts: 74
    Options

My MO told me yesterday that my type of cancer is just what the Oncotype people want. Because 80% of BC patients are IDC, they need more info in ILC. I got the impression they are doing more tests on smaller ILC cancers because of this, but I'm just speculating

• WenchLori
    Options

So far after 10 months of having my DBMX and living with my tissue expanders I have no signs of cording and I hope it stays that way. I've been told if it starts to develope to massage the area very carefully. I'm not sure if that's the proper way to deal with it or not?

• 2FUN
    2FUN Member Posts: 789
    Options

I was just doing some research about cording. It sounds like the first line of defense would be a lymphatic therapist/nurse .I can't get it to work now, but there are some easy to understand articles/pdf on cording. Just google "cording after mastectomy".

• WenchLori
    Options

2Fun, thank you. There's some very good articles out there. I'm sure there's a group on here for cording also.

• 2FUN
    Options

to me. It looks like cording and LE may go hand in hand. I would see if anyone has answers on the LE thread

• bringon2017
    bringon2017 Member Posts: 60
    Options

I've been to the physio twice cos of the cords and she broke them down with gentle firm massage and there is instantaneous relief. Only thing is they build up again, especially on my left side and I've been so sick of going to hospital that I neglected physio follow up. The DH has studied massage though and he does it instead!

• 2FUN
    Options

the articles.I read talk about the lymph fluid getting hardened in the lymph vessels as a response to being in contact with the substances that are present during infamation. I'm not sure how you make an impact on the inflammatory response though. Has anyone been following an anti inflammation diet?

• Shoregirl
    Shoregirl Member Posts: 338
    Options

Wow, there has been a LOT of activity on this thread since I was on last. Becky, yes, the TE's are a pain, literally, but they do get more tolerable as time goes by. Wenchlori, congrats on your quick healing!! That is fabulous!! Bringon2017, congrats to you too!! And yes, I am sick of disrobing in front of people!! Thankfully now I just have to see my PS one more time for staple removal, than I get to take the summer off from doctors. I am going to get on the waiting list for tats from Vinny, I was told its about a 6 month wait.

I just want to chime in re: projection of implants, as some are worried about not having enough after the exchange. I had approx 528 ccs of breast tissue removed during BMX, I was a 38D. My TE's were 475cc, and my PS planned on overfilling to 500. He had to stop at 475 though, as my skin was stretched to the limit. The projection was what I would call "in your face" lol, really sticking out there, but still my 38D bras fit great.

My PS uses Inspira smooth rounds exclusively for breast reconstruction, they have the highest density of cohesive gel. He gave me 470cc implants April 25, (not sure if it was high or ultra high profile) and I only lost a tiny bit of projection that the TEs gave. And my 38D bras still fit perfect!! I am beyond happy with the results, and I still have my staples in!! I go back Monday for them to be removed. I guess the 58cc more I had in my natural breasts filled the same bra cup as my smaller implants because of the way the tissue was dispersed. So i guess what I am trying to say is, don't worry too much about "numbers, ccs". As long as there is sufficicient skin you should be able to achieve what you had or pretty darn close, if that's what you want!

I had my PA show me a side by side pic on the computer of me pre BMX surgery, and post exchange surgery. I was FLOORED!! I really can't believe how much better my boobs look now, and I don't even have nipples lol!!

Hugs to all, hang in there, one day this will be a distant memory!!!

• WenchLori
    Options

2Fun, I haven't been following any kind of diet. Shame on me I know but I was a health nut with diet exercise etc and here I am. Now I eat what I like until I'm at a point in my energy levels to get back to exercising. I make sure I get in my 5,000 steps and 10 flights of stairs everyday. I'll add on as I get stronger.

Shoregirl, well said. Thank you so much for sharing your experience with all of us. My PS said he'd do everything he can to give me the best results. I've put my faith in his hands.

Hugs to everyone 🤗🤗

• MinuteAtATime
    MinuteAtATime Member Posts: 67
    Options

Hi All, my first post here--glad this discussion is here.

LisbethS , I have been wanting the saline implants for the same reason as you. I realize that the newer version of silicone implants are not as bad since the silicone all stays together in one bunch, but it still concerns me to have that leak into me and not know it. It's a hard decision. Has anyone else here had saline and liked them?

I'm trying to figure out how best to deal with the TE discomfort--decided I'd try Ibuprofen a few times a day more conistently for a while. Just found out my PS won't let me wear anything but a camisole (with no inserts!!!) for 4 weeks!! Trying to figure out how I'm going to look OK at work. Fortunately I was originally just an A-cup, so maybe I can hide the assymetry with a big sweater.

• WenchLori
    Options

MinuteAtATime, I had my last silicone implants for 30 years with no problems. The mammograms I had they were able to see the condition of my implants. Not sure how they did it or if they were just telling me that my implants looked good? My PS said they were intact when he removed them. They were very yellowed but we just agreed that was due to them being "antique with patina".

• Molly50
    Molly50 Member Posts: 3,008
    Options

Minute, is your PS not wanting anything to press on your nipples? I think wearing a busy pattern will help. That is what I did.

• MinuteAtATime
    Options

WenchLori--Thanks--that's good to hear.

Got my drain removed (for first masectomy) today! Woohoo. Can shower again!

I saw the PS's nurse practitioner today and she said the reason he only wants me to wear a camisole, no inserts is to prevent any reduction of blood flow to the nipple and skin (had a nipple-sparing masectomy).

I also got more information about the TE Timing. For some reason I had thought my PS said it would be 3 mos post-masectomy but the nurse pract said 6+ months (and that's if no rads or chemo)! Good news is that my TE is starting to feel a bit less uncomfortable todayy and she said that it should continue to feel less uncomfortable as I heal. And, they had a punctured implant at the doc's office so I could feel how the silicone feels when it leaks. It does stick together, but was a bit more sticky and less solid feeling than I had hoped.

• WenchLori
    Options

Minute, yay for drain removal and showers to come!

• 2FUN
    Options

Showers are so wonderful!!!

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,937
    Options

Showers are amazing. And only if you havent had one in weeks, (in my case 5!) Do you really know that! LOL

HAPPY MOTHERS DAY TO ALL THE MOMS out there! Hope you could enjoy the day.

Who asked if I had saline implants? Yes. Saline. Mentor rounds. I had only 750 over filled to 850 as my chest area was not wide enough for 800 sz implants. So your individual circumstances may have to dictate size, as well as your wants. Plastic Surgeons are really good at judging the size, although, I surprised mine. LOL. But my C bra fit after my implants healed. I had over 600 gram of tissue removed on each side, and I was just a C cup before. Bodies are weird. LOL

Much love to all.

• 2FUN
    Options

I agree, bodies ARE wierd! I really don't know hoe they determine volume, but they do it all the time so I guess they know.

• BG46TN
    BG46TN Member Posts: 23
    Options

I have a question...I had my mastectomy surgery with TE's placed 4 weeks ago yesterday....I noticed about 4 days ago the top edge of my right expanders is kind of "indented"? like I can see the actual edge of the expander under my skin...is this normal? I see my plastic surgeon on Thursday for my first fill, so I will of course show him and ask about it...but wanted to ask here too.

• Sitti
    Sitti Member Posts: 89
    Options

BG46TN, I'm 8 weeks out from BMX and have had a couple fills on one side and 1 fill on other side. The cancer side I can definitely see edges/creases/indents. There is more fluid in that side and when I lean one way or the other you can see the crease move with the fluid shift. It seems on that side the skin is thinner but I don't know for sure. Not sure if that answers yout question.

• 2FUN
    Options

I can see and feel all the edges and fearltures of the TE. I don't know if that's no mal or not.

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,226
    Options

Tissue expanders are firm and have definite edges, and sometimes folds if they are not fully expanded yet. It is not unusual to see this under your pectoral muscle and skin during the expansion process, but your PS will monitor this at fills. The biggest different at exchange to implants is that the edges are gone and they are much softer, so you don't usually have as much visible outline under your skin. In some cases fat grafting can help soften and fill any thin areas - some docs do this at exchange, and some do it later when you have reached a more final aesthetic.

• MinuteAtATime
    Options

Has anyone every felt like their TEs moved? I am 15 days out from my mastectomy and TE placement. My discomfort with the TEs had dropped a bit in the past 4 -5days but this morning I woke up and it feels weird and almost like it's in a different spot? Is this normal?

BG46TNI can definitely see the edges of my TEs under my skin. I'm pretty thin above the waist, though, so maybe that's unusual.

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,226
    Options

minute - some docs use the suture tabs on the expanders, some do not - that may mean that, yes, your TE can move slightly initially - but usually only within the pocket created behind the pectoral muscle during your surgery. Expanders are not meant to be permanent so even if your PS did not stich the expander down doesn't mean there is a problem. Also, consider that you are not far out from surgery and you may be experiencing a reduction in swelling that is changing the appearance and tightness of your TE. When expenders are initially placed they are filled with a smaller amount - not usually near the total volume that they will be expanded to. This means that the TE can be oddly shaped because it is not full, and the pocket may be a bit larger than the expander right now. You will find as you receive fills the expander will stretch and occupy that pocket more firmly and feel like it can move less.

• eastcoastts
    eastcoastts Member Posts: 352
    Options

Is it normal to have little, mildly painful "bumps" at the TE stitch site? Near inside corner of breast? Where I believe the TE is stitched to my muscle (I think this is it).

Yes, I have showed to my PS -- who isn't overly concerned but sometimes doctors aren't concerned about much. I also have a couple of tiny bumps in the incisions, which have healed nicely, that the surgeon said are sutures. She mentioned she could "cut" them out if they become problematic.

Thanks for experienced advice! ;)