Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Mothers with school aged children

Options

Comments

• Kjones13
    Kjones13 Member Posts: 662
    Options

Ann--so sorry to hear about the brain mets! What sweet parents to come help out! You sound like you are being really strong. Sometimes that helps us to push through an really what other choice do we have? Two boy's! How fun! Will your 5 yr old be going into kindergarten? Glad you feel like you can be honest with them. It's a strange little dance we play. Wanting to be truthful yet have them still have their innocence. We are here for you! Thanks for posting

• agness
    agness Member Posts: 406
    Options

I'm healing well from the craniotomy. I just got a bone scan done, I also had one done 18 months ago. I have slight lesions on my lower ribs and right sternum (opposite side). They found no lesions when I was scanned last year.

I stopped chemo at the start of July last year and Herceptin treatment stopped in February. I have had active, uncontrolled disease in my central nervous system this whole time they think. They are going to wait to compare to my PET scan on Monday (needed more time to heal before doing a ketogenic diet for two days) before declaring any findings.

To me it sounds like I'll need systemic and central nervous system treatment to fight the malignancy.

Pretty disappointed but I know you gals are here for me.

ann

• Karz72
    Karz72 Member Posts: 102
    Options

Ann I'm so sorry. Thinking of you & hoping the docs have a good tx plan lined up for you.

• Cafelovr
    Cafelovr Member Posts: 75
    Options

{{{ANN}}} Holding you in the Light! I'm glad your not alone. Family definitely makes a difference!

• agness
    Options

Thanks. Kinda worried about my PET scan on Monday and my liver.

Still, I almost died last week in my sleep and every hour, every day is a gift

I get my staples out tomorrow and then I get to see my boys. Can't wait

• Kjones13
    Options

Ann--I think I could throw up. Just what you are going through right now...I want to scream "not fair!" If it is ok, I would like to say prayers for you and your family. And for the doctors to come up with an amazing treatment plan! The days leading up to Monday and until you get the results are so stressful. I'm so glad you get to see your boy's tomorrow! I bet they go nuts with hugs and kisses! What a perfect distraction! Keep us in the loop. We are cheering you on

• Kjones13
    Options

how are you moms doing? My kids went back to school Wednesday--6th grade and pre-k.
  • leftfootforward
    leftfootforward Member Posts: 1,396
    Options

MIne go back on September 2nd so one more week off. But this will be the first year that all 4 of my kids are in school full time. Littlest is in Kindergarten, 2nd grade, 5th grade and 7th grade. So one starting school and one who moved into jr. high. Lots of exciting changes. I am going to have to figure out what to do with all my spare time. Might just catch up on some well earned rest.

I had a great experience yesterday. I took my eldest (a son) to the salon with me and we both bleached our hair blonde. I have never been blonde in my life. He looks great and I am adjusting to my new look. it was such a memorable day and experience to share with him. These are the things I hold onto.

the best to all of you

• CarlaK
    CarlaK Member Posts: 35
    Options

School's been back in session for 2 weeks here. I think everybody was ready to see their friends and get back to learning (although they'd never admit it!) Son is now a sophomore and daughter an 8th grader. We had a great summer with some camping and a memorable trip to England. They didn't want to go but I dragged them anyway, and it turned out really well. Looking forward to a very busy September-football, softball tournaments, a family wedding at a big hotel in San Francisco. Keeping busy keeps me from too many sad thoughts and helps me ignore side effects. The kids and their whirlwind lives are the best distraction and the best motivation for me!

• kebab
    kebab Member Posts: 98
    Options

My kids have been back to school for a week now. We've been lucky that it coincided with the "easy" week of my 3-week chemo cycle, so I've been able to deal with all the forms, and lunches, and homework. Yay!

My two are in 5th and 8th grade this year. Amazing. I wasn't sure I would see either of them out of elementary school, but I'm allowing myself to hope that I just might see my daughter start high school! Exciting times.

• starbrightlyshines
    starbrightlyshines Member Posts: 73
    Options

Hi mamas, We started school here yesterday. I have a son in 2nd grade, a daughter in 7th grade, a Son who is a Sophomore, and 2 college age daughters who have not gone to school yet (that will be next week, sob). The day started out so great until I read on FB that my daughter in 7th grade's best friend was going to a different school. This is a small class of girls, she was my daughters one and only girl friend. We have gotten together over the summer and she was just at her friends house two days ago. The mom and I are friends. So my daughter is devastated and I am so hurt that they couldn't even send out a "heads up text" beforehand because it is pretty crappy to show up on the first day of school and find out your bf isn't there. I sent the mom and text and asked her to call me. They did this 2 years ago. I had just been diagnosed with bc and was so sick and my dd was struggling at school. One day she went to school and her bf (same girl) wasn't there. No warning or explanation given. Later I told the mom how hurt we were, she said she didn't want to bother us because she knew how sick I was. I thought we had a good talk and she understood why we were hurt. The next year the bf came back to school and things picked up with the girls where they left off and all was well. Until yesterday. I think I am as hurt as my dd, I thought the mom and I were friends and for her to not realize a decision like this would really effect my family floors me. I asked her to call me and that I had no idea they were considering this and she just sent a quick text back saying she would call later. She didn't call. And I had even seen the mom and her younger daughter at school and she didn't say anything about the 7th grader not coming back. It was just a big reality check. Obviously we are not on their radar enough for them to even think how this would effect us and at least let us know!. Our daughters were together many times this summer. Us moms have relied on each other for sleep overs on weekends when one of us was busy with older childrens activities. I am just so hurt and upset. I don't know how people can be so inconsiderate? To see it on fb and not even have a text or call to let us know? Truthfully this is just #4 of a series of events that is pushing all my emotional buttons right now. There are wildfires all over the state, our cabin and my brother's cabin are both being threatned. My father needs either 24 hour home care or a nursing home, I took him to the hospital and he is not doing well. My dd is leaving for college next week and our home is going to have an empty hole where her joyful spirit lifts us up. She has been a huge help with the younger kids and grocery shopping etc. It is going to be hard. And my tumor markers are continuing to rise on A/A combo and I have a full body rash. Hopefully it is too soon to tell if the A/A is working, it is just worrisome. So to find out I don't have the support of a friend that I thought I had, it just put me over the edge yesterday.

Today I am moving on :) Have a great weekend ladies. And if you live Washington state my prayers are for safety for us all. And for anyone else who is so inclined, please pray for RAIN for our poor state :(

And I apologize for being so self absorbed that I have not commented to anyone directly.

• Kjones13
    Options

star-no need to apologize! That is a lot of chit going on! I can't believe that mother! How rude! She obviously is the one that is too self absorbed! Your poor dd. just doesn't seem fair. It's not the other little girls fault her mom keeps moving her around. Which is really weird in and of itself. I hope your dd makes new friends soon! I will pray for rain!!

Kebab-glad the stars aligned so that you felt well enough to get the kiddos ready for school! I understand your last statement too. I just keep going and wishing that I see my kids grow. For once, I feel like I could be here for a long while! Let's pray that is the case for all of us!

CarlaK--England?! What a big trip! So glad you and the kids got to enjoy such a memorable experience! You are going to have a busy fall! My dh coaches football so I won't see him again until November! :) looking into soccer for my ds. Distractions are the best! Enjoy!

Leftfoot-that is a lot of changes! Catching up on sleep is a great idea!! :) a blonde, eh? How fun! That will definitely make an impression on your ds! Let us know if blondes really do have more fun! Haha

• agness
    Options

My PET scan was clean, i forgot to report. i have my post-op in the morning but I have been diligent about eating well, getting some exercise, and taking naps which I think has helped my healing. I also got off steroids quickly after 10 days and still my body is freaking out about the dexamethasone doses I was on -- life-saving but damaging.

I'm due to start radiation treatment for 3-5 sessions starting after Labor Day, also the first week of school. Hopefully the side effects are mild as they predict. Family life is adjusting to a new normal after my health crisis. Daddy is helping more with the kids and I'm living a little more quietly. It was quite a rollercoaster of the unknown for a while but my health us greatly improved with my tumor removal. Taking it one day at a time

• Kjones13
    Options

great news on a clean pet!! Good to hear that you are taking care of yourself. I hope the rads are mild and over quickly so you can enjoy your family

• leftfootforward
    Options

yay Agnes's!

• fujiimama
    fujiimama Member Posts: 236
    Options

Yay for clean pet scans. ❤

We're on the home stretch before school starts. My mother planned a very impromptu trip to Wisconsin so my kids could see my Grandma whom they have never met and cousins I grew up with.

• Kjones13
    Options

I have had a very exciting last couple of weeks! I turned 37! I celebrated 5 yrs of marriage to my DH! And tomorrow is my 3yr cancerversary! Today, it is 70degrees outside and we are headed to a bluegrass festival! I feel so blessed to be here to celebrate.

One of my best friends is just getting started in her photography business. I am so pleased with how the pics turned out!

Well it's not working on my iPad for some reason. Will try again later. Have a great day and know that I pray for all daily

• leftfootforward
    Options

Love that update Kjones. soak it all in. You have earned the happiness and joy

• Kjones13
    Options

trying again

• 3-16-2011
    3-16-2011 Member Posts: 279
    Options

kjones

great pictures! Enjoy your wonderful day, and wishing you more ahead.

• cjanet
    cjanet Member Posts: 288
    Options

Kjones love the photos!  Keep on appreciating life!

• JFL
    JFL Member Posts: 1,373
    Options

Congrats for all you have to celebrate, KJones! I love your beautiful pics. Makes me wish I had a daughter to see yours in that cute little pink skirt.

• starbrightlyshines
    Options

Great photos Kjones-thank you for sharing! I have an iPhone and a pc. So I'm not sure how to post pics yet but someday I hope to figure it out!

We are deep in the school routine now. Dd 12 that started new school (see my last post for tmi) seems to be doing really well. I was worried because it threw a new school schedule and trying to meet new parents into the mix and that is always hard. But so far so good.

Ds 16 broke his collarbone playing football the weekend we moved my daughter to college. So we were out of town but luckily my father in law was around to take him to to the ER. He is out for the season, which may not be a bad thing :)

I hope everyone is doing well. I am on the A/A combo and will have a PET scan at the end of OCT to see if it is working. I guess in some ways I am learning to live with the constant unknown. I will have my 3 year cancerversary in Oct. So many mixed feelings but I need to focus on the gratitude and get rid of the negative. SO much easier said than done!

• tarheelmichelle
    tarheelmichelle Member Posts: 248
    Options

imagekjones -- sweet sweet photos. Thank you for sharing. Makes me smile.

My son is in his senior year of high school. Never thought I'd make it this far with him. His grades have not been stellar but he has finally decided to buckle down. We visited his first college choice last week. It's the university I attended, about a half hour away. He loved it, said he finally understands everything I've tried to explain about how awesome college is (compared to high school). I hope he gets accepted. And yet, when he leaves, I'll feel pain because we have been so close because of my cancer. Wanting him to soar, yet wanting him close so I can see him.

• Kjones13
    Options

star--if you find out how to get rid of the negative, let me know! We are 3 yrs together :) so sorry about your son's injury! Sounds painful! But as a mom, I understand why it's ok with you if he is out the rest of the season! And glad your daughter is settling in. Is she in 7th grade? Boy, that is a challenging time, if I remember correctly! Crossing my fingers and toes your pet later in oct will prove the meds are kicking ass!

Tarheel--uncg! Oh how happy I am for you to get to his senior year! But I can imagine it's a yr full of mixed emotions...for both of you! I hope he gets to go to college where he wants!! Is that the only school he is applying for? No judgement here...I applied to one school and it was the only school that gave me money to play vball! By the way, have played a ton at various uncg gyms! He will have a blast in college! And good thing is, he's not too far away...if that's where he decides to go. I think nc is pretty lucky to have such a strong college/university system! Now if we could just not be the lowest paid for public schools in the nation! Oh well. I hope this senior year is a great time for both of you to make precious memories! How are you feeling health wise?

How are you other mama's doing

• Kjones13
    Options

so I'm either the coolest mom ever or the stupidest mom ever...I signed up to coach my son's basketball youth league team! I love to coach and I know bball pretty well. I know I can help these kids. The stupid part--my fatigue is at an all time high and back pain is intensifying. But I see my onc Friday so I'm hoping for a treatment break or some Ritalin. The 5th and 6th grade boys had evaluations today. I stood up for two hours straight and I thought I was going to cry. But I'm more curious to see the looks and hear the comments about me being a female coach instead of a male. I really am excited. Coaching was fun. Playing was much better! A lot has changed in my world since I coached last. I wonder what my new style will be?

What's going on you momma's?? You are being quiet!

• leftfootforward
    Options

That is so cool Kjones. You go girl. The boys are lucky to have you. Maybe get some great inserts for your shoes to help with standing. I am sure you will rock the practices then collapse once you get home. I love that you are coaching.

My life is exactly as it has always been busy chasing the 4 kids. I am gearing up for my husband to be away for a week so am getting all the rest I can. Still managing my oldest son's soccer team, and spend the rest of my time as room parent (2 rooms) and getting the rest of the kids to their activities. Waiting on scan results that I had on Friday. Meeting new oncologist Thursday as mine is moving after seeing her fr 5 years. Hopeing fo the best. I try to work out with a trainer 3 days a week but might have to scale back down to 2. My body and fatigue can get bad. i know its good for me but as you all can appreciate sometimes you just need to rest.

Thanks for checking in and best to all of you

• 3-16-2011
    3-16-2011 Member Posts: 279
    Options

kjones and leftfoot, I am sure the teams are so happy to have you. I coached swimming for years in my 20s back when I had endless energy and it was a blast.

Now I cheer on my sons cross country team and volunteer feeding theese very busy boys when ever I can.

My son is looking at testing for special ed. We have been down this road many times including begging the school district not to drop his services in 6th grade when his OCD symptoms peaked.(but they dropped them anyway) I just get frustrated with the lack of communication, one administrator telling me not to worry he is doing great and another teacher calling and asking to have him tested. So I jump into management role and get people to slow down and talk to each other and work for whats best for him. And worry again about what if I. wasnt here.

• Kjones13
    Options

3-16...just a thought...I used to be a high school counselor and he would qualify for what is called a 504. Talk to his grade level counselor or alpha...not sure how they have it split up

• cjanet
    cjanet Member Posts: 288
    Options

I'm here, just usually post in the Bone Mets thread as it's very active. Still running around after my kids, not as involved as I would like bc I have to work full time to maintain benefits for the whole family. DH chose to do real estate which is not working for me as I need him to have benefits if I get sicker. He is working on finding a job but not easy!!!