Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Mothers with school aged children

Options

Comments

• PattyPeppermint
    PattyPeppermint Member Posts: 8,950
    Options

thanks. Michelle

He has already brought his grade up to a high D. Still not acceptable but seeing some effort from him. Teacher said he actually volunteered to answer a question he never does this even when he knows the answer since he is so shy

• ShetlandPony
    ShetlandPony Member Posts: 3,063
    Options

Patty, you can find good math explanations and video free online at khanacademy.org.

• PattyPeppermint
    PattyPeppermint Member Posts: 8,950
    Options

shep. Awesome. I had no idea. I certainly wouldn't think I needed to google answers for 8 th grade math. Makes me feel old and stupid. Guess of I don't use it I love it.
  • leftfootforward
    leftfootforward Member Posts: 1,396
    Options

an article I was interviewed for. Didn't turn out exactly like I had evvisioned but am really proud of my kiddos.

http://www.northcountyoutlook.com/story/2016/10/12/news/woman-battling-breast-cancer-wants-to-give-hope-to-others/10282.html

• kaayborg
    kaayborg Member Posts: 576
    Options

Thanks for sharing! I found it very interesting to know more of your story. I have not yet told my children about cancer taking my life eventually. They think this chemo thing will last me always. Sometimes I think the same. I feel conflicted about telling more. Your kids do okay, though? They sound so brave in the article. My 13 year old is starting to ask more questions. Well, she asked one question in our shared journal just yesterday. She's never asked anything before. "How's chemo going? Are things getting any better? Any worse?" I have good answers but it also makes me think she may be wondering more.

I was never given a time frame for how long to expect to live. I think my doctor prefers not forecasting given there are so many outcomes. I did have a year in my mind from having read some research articles about stage 4 triple negative outcomes. And my liver was chock full of cancer, too. But here we are anyway. So glad about that. On to many more. Four years for you coming up soon. Yay!!!!

• GirlWarrior
    GirlWarrior Member Posts: 4
    Options

Hello Mothers,

I was recently diagnosed stage IV. I have a nine year old daughter and all I have told her is that I have had a recurrence, and I am back in treatment. She knows that I will always have cancer now and will always be in treatment. She is doing pretty well and seems to not be too bothered. Unfortunately, things are progressing very fast for me, and I am getting very close to the point that I need to tell her that I will die soon. I am at a complete and total loss as to how I am going to tell her. I am not sure how long I should wait. I am afraid if I wait too long, I won't give her enough time to be with me and I am afraid if I tell her too soon, I will be asking her to carry the weight for too long. Her counsellor thinks I should start slowly now, but I just don't want to ruin her Christmas. Anyone have advice they could share? I am really lost right now.
  • zarovka
    zarovka Member Posts: 2,959
    Options

Girl Warrior. I am so sorry. I would start now, slowly. You have a good counselor who can give you tools and strategies. However, I don't think there is any right way. I just stumbled through it. You can start anywhere and your daughter will ask what she needs to know.

My experience with kids is that it takes a while for them to process the information. They appear fine because they don't fully grasp what is going on. There are a lot of new concepts. It's been almost a year since my original diagnosis. I've been straight with my kids, now 10 and 13, from the beginning. I've laid down the facts as I understand them simply. I've done it several times. We've watched programs about cancer, we talk about other the experience of other families dealing with cancer. I respond to their questions truthfully as they come up. Even after 9 months, they are still grasping the concepts, new questions and emotions come up all the time. And it's a dialogue. I need time myself to think and respond.

In general, I have been astonished by my children's resilience and wisdom. Communicating with them has given them a sense that I have confidence that they can handle this, and I do. I have also found them resourceful in getting help. Both girls realized fairly quickly that they had in their own circle of friends, children who's parents had cancer or other serious chronic illnesses. They have found in those friends a network of support. Their families have been dealing with these things in their own ways.

My kids give me strength. They know this and that in turn gives them confidence and strengthens our bond. Confidence and a sense that we are connected forever, whatever happens, is what I want to leave them. So that is my strategy.

Xmas is a good time with family and friends near to support your child as she processes what is going on. I wouldn't wait until you are more symptomatic and distracted by medical decisions and your health. This is the ultimate parenting opportunity. You want to be fully present and you need time. But you and your daughter are both going to need help from others. Xmas is a good time for both of you to build that network.

Finally, I deeply respect that you are facing your progression and the possibility that you may die. However, I am praying for your full recovery.

>Z<

• Kjones13
    Kjones13 Member Posts: 662
    Options

girl warrior, I am so sorry for the position you are in. Z definitely gave some good advice. All I can add is that it took me months and months to fully understand what was going on. Still not sure some of my family and friends (adults) fully understand. It's a big deal. A lot to process. Kids are very black and white.

I'm so sorry this is weighing on you during the holidays too. I really don't think you can ruin anything. Your daughter is going to have to deal with the news for the rest of her life. You being fully present with her is such a gift. And she will ask questions. She will guide the conversations.

I wish you well. I hope you will check back in with us to let us know how you,and your daughter, are doing. Again, I am so sorry

• kaayborg
    Options

Girl Warrior, this is the question I'm not sure I'll ever figure out the correct answer to. Go slow sounds like good advice but I don't really know what that means exactly. It's a unique terrain for each of us to navigate, I suppose. I always think that I'll keep my children posted of news honestly as it comes in but other times I think the roller coaster is enough for me to take, why drag them along, especially since sometimes you're down just a short while before you're up again. So often they could be none the wiser and go on with their protected childhoods for years even. When I am sure the end is near, I'll tell them certainly but there will always be the question of how soon is too soon, how late is too late. Mostly, I don't want to my children to be secretly fearful when my openness could at least offer parental comfort and truth without exaggerations they'd be prone to create when left in the dark.

My heart goes out to you. You are in such a tough place, a place no one wishes to be, with questions no one wishes to face and yet you do face them and think deeply about how to live and die in the best interest of your daughter. I never feel much courageous because it's not like there's a way to opt out of this, but courageous you are. You could hide from it all, but instead you grapple and I know you will land on the right decision.

• GirlWarrior
    Options

Thank you so much, for your advice, personal sharing and wisdom. I have read each of your posts several times, and have quietlly reflected on your words. I dont't have any answers. I hope for some repreive, or some stability, but I am no longer being treated so it would be naive to think so. I had an mri and ct scan on Friday to document progression. I tthink this will give me some information that I can share with my daughter. My daughter has been honest with me and said will not talk about it with anyone - she believes she will become a spectacle. At least now I can understand her resistance. i am trying to role model for her, even in this difficult time - I don't know if she will ever remember. I hope so

• leftfootforward
    Options

girl warrior- no advise here. Just lots of love. Dealing with and exposing this beast is what I find to be the hardest part of the journey. Trust your instincts.

Hug

• Kjones13
    Options

love and hugs. In your pocket for strength ❤️❤️

• singlemom1
    singlemom1 Member Posts: 260
    Options

sending you love and strength girl warrior. I am so deeply sorry and will pray for you and your daughter.

• Rosevalley
    Rosevalley Member Posts: 1,664
    Options

girlwarrior- I am also nearing the end of the line and have been very forth coming with my 3 daughters. The youngest is 15 and it is very upsetting to her but it needs to be done. I would explain what kind of symptoms you might experience so your child is not scared or shocked. Let the child lead. Sometimes I am amazed at the strength children will show when they are ready. They are resilent despite their pain and love.

Prayers your way during this difficult time. Hugs and lovingkindness too.

• leftfootforward
    Options

to you too Rosevalle

• Hernie
    Hernie Member Posts: 664
    Options

For all the moms...

• Bluefrog76
    Bluefrog76 Member Posts: 250
    Options

Girl Warrior and Rose Valley, thinking of you often. I have no sage advice, but your love for your children shines through.

• GirlWarrior
    Options

Sending out a wish of love and support for all the Mom's who are carrying their children through this holiday season. The mixture of emotions is quite overwhelming and I have such respectfor all the children who are living with cancer in their family. I only hope to be as brave as my kids are.

• JFL
    JFL Member Posts: 1,373
    Options

Amen to GirlWarrior's wish!

• leftfootforward
    Options

amen. Happy holidays to you all.

• leftfootforward
    Options

imagephotos of my kids 6 years ago at diagnosis and this august. I have had a few rough Decembers (2010,2012(mets)) but am ever so grateful to be here today.

May we all be around to see more holidays with our kiddos.

• Kjones13
    Options

Merry Christmas momma's! What a blessing it is to be here with our children another year. May it continue! May the joy of the holiday bring you much happiness, love, and peace.

Kristin

• Bluefrog76
    Bluefrog76 Member Posts: 250
    Options

Merry Christmas to all who celebrate and happy holiday season to all of you. Holidays like these make every surgery, infusion, side effect tolerable and worth it.

• Kjones13
    Options

awesome picture! Such cute kiddos! I see your elf in the back ground. What's it's name? Ours is Steve. The kids love to try and find him

• Noni
    Noni Member Posts: 74
    Options

Hope everyone had a good holiday. I dosed myself up with steroids, which I hate to do but it helped me be present for my family.

I had a tough chat with my daughter earlier this week. Lots of tears and most heart breaking was when she admitted that she needs more hugs. She said all she wants is someone to hold her every day and tell her everything is going to be alright. Makes me glad we took this memorable picture Christmas morning. Something that will hopefully remind her how much her parents always treasured her.

I hate what cancer does to our families, especially our children.

• rgc77
    rgc77 Member Posts: 45
    Options

Anybody else have the fun of having your kids all down with the flu? Mine seem to have dragged on and on. They are bored out of their skins. I finally sent them to school yesterday, and they are home again today!! Thankfully I seem to walk through it all untouched.

All this came on the end of a really stressful bit when they were dealing with my brain mets diagnosis and I was having radiation. No one was sleeping well and I think that set them up for it.

On a happier note, the sun keeps shining through the snowflakes today, and the bluebirds at the feeder are a bright spot in any day.

Smile

• Kjones13
    Options

rgc77--how awful!! So sorry for your kiddos! (And you 😜!) my daughter and I had something over Christmas break. Hers continued a couple weeks longer than mine.

I can imagine everyone was on pins and needles with the rain mets diagnosis. Easy to get run down with little to no sleep and anxiety. Are you having treatments or surgery? Praying the mets get under control!

It has really been nice outside! Except for today--wind non-stop! I've been able to get out and enjoy the weather. Hope you have too!

Hey mommas! What has everyone been into these days?!?

• Apg
    Apg Member Posts: 112
    Options

Rgc77 my husband and one of my kids had a stomach bug this week but so far I haven't gotten sick yet! I hope you are doing well after radiation.

• kaayborg
    Options

Well, we've been sick around my house, too. Two daughters with strep (including one with vomiting) and an ear infection, too. This after my own icky cold and my youngest's stomach bug. Not a good month for health but we're on the up and up, and somehow I have escaped the worst of it. So thankful for Saturday, a long day of rest for us all!

• Apg
    Apg Member Posts: 112
    Options

Missy, I'm glad you and your family are on the upside now! I hate that you have had to deal with this on top of everything else! Get some rest! Spring will be here soon and maybe we can get together soon!!! Think of you often!!!