Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting chemo July 2014

Options

Comments

• magdalene51
    magdalene51 Member Posts: 2,062
    Options

Pink, we went to Sight n Sound last year, saw Moses, it was AWESOME! I thought there would be a new one now but it's only in PA. Jonah. Moses is still (or again) at Branson. And even though I booked our events, I don't remember what we're doing. Chemo brain makes for a life full of surprises, doesn't it?

DH got his annual bonus yesterday so today he went to the Apple Store and bought me a new iPad Mini 4 to replace my waterlogged mini. It's 32 gb and wifi/cellular which means I can access internet while on the road. Woohoo!

Done with last chemo, I'll ring the bell when I get my neulasta shot tomorrow. Debated whether or not to but staff encouraged me to. Since this round of tx is over and I survived.

Nap time

• slappy-squirrel
    slappy-squirrel Member Posts: 199
    Options

Woo hoo Mags!! Glad to hear you are done with chemo. Get lots of rest and enjoy that new Ipad!

Shirley

• pinkninja9560
    pinkninja9560 Member Posts: 178
    Options

mags

Congrats! Ring that bell girl!!

I saw Moses as too and it was amazing! DH and I go to Lancaster a lot and we love sights and sounds.
    Have an awesome trip 😘
  • pinkninja9560
    pinkninja9560 Member Posts: 178
    Options

slappy!!!!omg!!! I just got the hats and I love them! You are very talented!!

Thank you so much! 😘image

• nancy2581
    nancy2581 Member Posts: 407
    Options

You look great Pink. Slappy -you did a great job with those hats.

Nancy

• knmtwins
    knmtwins Member Posts: 437
    Options

We were so blessed to be part of the July 2014 Chemo Sisters. Love the hats but more importantly love the photos that are coming. Keep them coming.

• magdalene51
    Options

Pinkie! We're twinkies now! I have the pink zebra too, didn't take a pic of it yet.

Stuffed to the gills! We postponed our St. Pat's Day dinner til tonight. My sis is here for the weekend, and her very pregnant DGD brought her fiancé since neither of them have had corned beef before. Cousin does her own spicing, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, bay leaves, etc. and it's delicious. Her late husband was a meat cutter so she knows all the secrets. Scalloped potatoes, fresh green beans, carrot cake for dessert. Poor preggers gal couldn't eat much as her baby is a brute. He's going to be a ginger, they're sure, and they've named him Thor Alexander. None of us ever met my father's father, but his name was Alexander. Interesting synchronicity, eh?

So, off to bed.

• slappy-squirrel
    Options

Pink, you look so beautiful!

Shirl

• slappy-squirrel
    Options

Just found out that my neighbor, (who was diagnosed with colon cancer about the same time I was diagnosed with breast cancer) was put into a hospice today. I don't know what to say or do for her and her family. She has a husband and two kids, one in high school, and one in middle school. F#%k this cancer! :-(

• slappy-squirrel
    Options

Thanks Nancy!

• magdalene51
    Options

Shirley, probably one of the best things you could do for your neighbor and her family would be to prepare some single serving frozen meals for when they take a few minutes to come home and clean up. Whether you can do anything for her depends on her condition; is she conscious, etc. When my mom was at that point all she would eat was Reese's peanut butter cups. But you could also volunteer to sit with her while her family takes a much needed break. Read to her, sing or play music. I'm told the hearing is the last sense to fade.

• slappy-squirrel
    Options

Mags,

Thanks for the advice: i'll give it a try.

Shirley

• knmtwins
    Options

My mother had a friend who was a therapist who studied food and emotions, crunchy was for anger, I don't remember what was for other things, but I like soft sweet chocolaty things to sooth me when I'm down, brownies and chocolate chip cookies. Sometimes, food is the best thing. Also if they don't want it, they can take it to the Hospice nurses.

• nancy2581
    Options

Just been thinking of you Mags and Pink. Hope you both are doing well. Hugs

Nancy

• slappy-squirrel
    Options

Got your thank you card Pink! That was so sweet, you didn't have to do that.

Shirley

• puffin2014
    puffin2014 Member Posts: 950
    Options

Returned last night from a 17 day birding trip to Costa Rica with a tour group of 12 birders and 2 leaders. Beautiful country, saw 265 new birds, and according to my Fitbit walked 103,938 steps last week. We were out birding at 5:30 every morning, lots of hiking on narrow uphill forest trails. Great trip but sure enjoyed not setting an alarm this morning. Lots of photos to post but need to unpack, do laundry, buy groceries, go through mail, etc first.

• maidentiredofwaiting
    maidentiredofwaiting Member Posts: 143
    Options

Hi ladies! I've been trying to catch up and I'm so sorry to see mags and pinkninja going through more cancer and chemo. You are all on my mind and I will keep you in my prayers. I love the pictures, you are all so beautiful! I will attach one too. I had a CT scan in November and they didn't see anything in the chest area but said that I had a fatty liver so they couldn't see much there. It stinks that every pain or ache we have to fear recurrence. I have had hip pain for the last few months and my mind always goes there. Here they don't test anything after treatment is done unless you have a major symptom. I had to fight for the CT. Now I wonder why they never did a bone scan? Is that more to do with your age? Anyway, keep posting pictures, it's so wonderful to see you all! My picture is silly as I was finally able to get my hair up in little pony tails. It's almost shoulder length now. Funny when in first started growing back it was very gray. Now it is way darker than it was before and still curly. Love the hats Slappysquirrel, they look so good on our sisters!

• elainetherese
    elainetherese Member Posts: 1,627
    Options

maidentiredofwaiting,

Good to hear from you again! I love your picture. My oncologist is a scanner, but only if there's a reason for it. Then again, I may lose my oncologist (long story), and I may have to find a new one. Ugh. I liked my MO, and don't feel like getting a new one.

Yes, many prayers for pinkninja and Mags! Hope your treatment is working, and that you're getting some rest and relaxation.

• magdalene51
    Options

Aw, I thought I'd posted here but guess not. My PET scan on 4/4 shows 20% progression on the lung tumors – where MO had assured me if I would continue there was a good chance we'd see remission. And I didn't see him, just his PA, so I couldn't stomp my feet and hiss at him like I wanted. And he can't see me until 5/2. Call me not a happy camper. So in the meantime I'm getting my teeth fixed. They are expediting so I should hear tomorrow when extraction will be. Has to be hospital surgery, too. Insurance is not wanting to cover, and even though we have dental coverage it won't cover all. DH works for an insurance company (he's in IT) and when he talked to his boss about it, she said the medical insurance should cover it since the cancer treatment was the proximal cause of needing new teeth. Saw my PCP today (our hubbies work together) so I told her all this and she started writing something official sounding for insurance. She took a closeup picture of my mouth (I lost 2 more teeth Friday) and I sent her the pic from April 2015 for comparison. She made it sound really good. (Have I told you how much I love this lady?)

She also wrote me a script for adderall so I can try to find some energy. I have way too much to do and not enough oomph to do much of anything.

I did manage to make it to church for Easter, but only because our church had an evening service Saturday. And I prepared our traditional leg of lamb for Sunday dinner, which DH is still raving about. Here's my Saturday night pic from outside church. New wig, and foobs.

• nancy2581
    Options

mags you look great! Sorry to hear about the progression. Sucks, but bet your MO has some more tricks up his sleeve. And hell yes insurance should pay for fixing your teeth. For Petes sake so sick of having to fight for everything. Leg of lamb sounds yummy. I should have come to your house. We had pancakes 😒

Maidentiredofwaiting you look amazing too. So glad to hear from you. Glad you pushed for that CT scan. I hope it came back ok and your hip pain it something easily fixed. My hair came back gray too only it was gonna stay that way😡. Nope not for me

Elaine - I hope you don't have to find a new MO. I may have to at some point too. We pay out of pocket for insurance and it just keeps going up and up. We are several years away from Medicare (will we still have it) and hubby keeps threatening to switch to Kaiser - um no

Puffin wow you've certainly been busy. Sounds like you had a wonderful trip. Hubby wants to go to Costa Rica sometime, but I don't think I could be away from my pets that long

Hugs ladies

Nancy

• dancingdiva
    dancingdiva Member Posts: 317
    Options

hey gals, just checking in. I'm still chugging and got off for awhile. When I heard about Kebab I couldn't handle reading stuff anymore.

pink, wtf, uv joined the IV group. I hate cancer!!!! But we keep chugging right. I had radiation that finished in December and am on Ibrance and letrozole now.

• knmtwins
    Options

Dancing - we need a picture please we started them back up as a way to cheer up Pink and Mags! BTW - why were you still getting radiation till December 2015? I didn't have radiation, so the whole radiation thing is confusing to me. I also see Dx 5/2016 and a targeted therapy. Did I miss something? Might that be why you were getting radiation? The Kebab news was very sad, I think many of us might have pulled away a bit after that. But we are the July SISTERS and need to stick together. So glad you popped back in.

Mags - hot dog, you look great! Hope the adderal gives you the oomph you need. So hope your insurance will cover your teeth. 20% progression in the lungs, does that mean it got bigger? What about the bones? Did the PA say anything about treatment or are they waiting for the MO to get back?

Maiden - my doctor runs normal labs not 'cancer' labs, but it does include liver function, when I see her, which is now every 6 months and will run scans if you have a complaint. I call my 'age 50' bone density test a bone scan, but it isn't. I think that is something else.

Pink - hope you are enjoying the 'sun' in Charlotte and the g-baby treatments. Wonder if we could get insurance to cover the flight if your call it treatments. I know their hugs give you strength.

• elainetherese
    Options

Mags, I love your new wig! Hope your MO has some good ideas next Tuesday. Ugh, about the dental work. At least you're getting some help, paying for it all. I may end up having to switch MOs to one in OKC (long story). I forget whether you're treated there or in Edmond.

Dancingdiva, glad to hear you're still chugging along. Hope Ibrance and letrozole are treating you well.

I'm just finishing up my semester. I always feel burned out in the Spring. Looking forward to the Summer Break!

• knmtwins
    Options

Hello Ladies... Where are you??? We haven't posted anything since April. Mags how did the appointment go? Pink? Box - need more baby photos please!

• magdalene51
    Options

Sorry for not keeping up with you ladies. I saw the PA, who I love, but haven't seen MO yet. I think I see him next time, June 6. Anyway the PA said they wanted to wait until the 15th and start me on Xeloda, so I went ahead and had the teeth extracted. It didn't go quite as smoothly as planned; I bled so badly they couldn't put the posts in, and I was in recovery 4 hours. I've had issues with the dentures not fitting, had them relined once and need to do it again. Dentist explained that it takes 6 months to a year for the gums to finish recovering to where they're going to be, so they make temporary plates until then. So I just have to keep going back for liners. And they made it sound so simple! So I tried leaving the dentures out so the gums could heal faster, but when I put them back in the bottom plate was so loose I couldn't eat, even with a ton of glue. I still haven't actually eaten anything with them in. Seeing the surgeon Thursday so we'll see what he says about putting the posts in.

I've finished my first week of Xeloda, mostly just really tired and started having some nausea tonight. One more week on, one week off, then see the doc. We shall see.

Love you ladies.

• knmtwins
    Options

Well Mags at least you have started the journey and this time next year you can be posting about how wonderful everything was at the BBQ and Rib Festival (there must be one near you) or you could always go to Rush Springs for the Watermelon Festival. That is much softer, maybe you could do that this year. Keep us posted on Xeloda. As they used to say, Keep on Truckin ... I know, the goofiest things can come out of my brain.

• elainetherese
    Options

Mags,

Ugh about the dental work! I hope and pray that your gums heal soon so that you can wear your dentures more comfortably. Best of luck with Xeloda; hope it doesn't completely wipe you out. We've been enjoying the relatively cool weather around here. My daughter will be up in Edmond soon; she just graduated from high school, and will be attending UCO in the Fall. She is happy to be going to college, but doesn't plan to take any classes from her Dad (who teaches up there).

• magdalene51
    Options

The Watermelon Festival at Rush Springs! DH and I went there right after we got married, and it was just a little event. We made it back a few years ago and it was a huge sprawling carnival atmosphere with the standard fair booths but very disorganized and disappointing. I don't think we ever even got any watermelon. And I was sick from the heat.

It's after one and I just woke up. Feel like a truck hit me. Slept most of yesterday then was awake till two. Can't keep doing that.

• nancy2581
    Options

Well now it's my turn to ask for some good thoughts. Last week I had a paps smear and for the first time ever it came back abnormal. Shit! I now have to have a cervical biopsy and a uterine biopsy scheduled for June 2. Not sure if the tamoxifen can be causing this, but I guess we will know more soon. Oh how I just love the waiting game - NOT.

Mags - I'm so very sorry the dental procedure was tough. I hope you are doing well otherwise. Big hugs.

Nancy

• elainetherese
    Options

Oh Nancy!

I'm so sorry to hear about your abnormal pap smear results! Yes, I'm sure June 2 can't come quickly enough for you. Many warm vibes going out to you....

I'll be getting another dexa scan soon to see whether Aromasin has reduced my bone density. Ain't hormonal therapy fun?

(((Hugs))) Nancy.