Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting chemo July 2014

Options

Comments

• nancy2581
    nancy2581 Member Posts: 407
    Options

thanks Elaine - hormonal therapy is a pain in the rear lol

• boxofrockstar
    boxofrockstar Member Posts: 54
    Options

Aargh, Nancy, that sucks. I've had a few of those and it's so unpleasant, but has never turned up anything scary (knock wood), so hopefully yours won't either. Mags, I hope your dental situation is resolved soon.

Ask and of course you'll receive - Zack is 2 and a half already! My big boy:

imageimage

• elainetherese
    elainetherese Member Posts: 1,627
    Options

Zack is such a cutie! I love that T-shirt -- "I still live with my parents." Lol -- like he'd be living on his own at his age.

My oldest just graduated from high school. Here's my "baby" and me:

• nancy2581
    Options

Great pics ladies.

Box I can't believe he is 2 1/2! What a little cutie. Bet he's a lot of fun.

Elaine congrats to your daughter! You must be so proud. It's hard to send them to college (even harder when they come back ha ha just kidding)

Hugs ladies

Nancy

• knmtwins
    knmtwins Member Posts: 437
    Options

Nancy - that stinks! Sorry you have to wait till next week. Don't they know how frightening the wait is for us? I've had a cervical biopsy, it hurt a bit, not horrible and I might have gone home via public transit and taken a nap. I don't think I've had a uterine one though. Mine was in the OB/GYNs office, so no drugs. Keep us posted. We are here for you, sending good thoughts and prayers. BTW - I didn't 'qualify' for a pap smear this time. I'd been clear for multiple years so the standard is now only every 3 years. Seems tamoxifen use isn't a reason for increased screening... seems the last time the screening guidelines (in the US) were updated was 2001. I don't have time to continue to research, maybe this weekend.

Mags - I agree, certainly hope your mouth is healing well.

Box - as always, those baby pictures (big boy) bring smiles to our faces!

Elaine There... wow, I have 8 more years till my baby graduates.

• dancingdiva
    dancingdiva Member Posts: 317
    Options

nice pictures! Can't believe ur little boy. Mags I love the wig. What were u on before Xeloda? Nancy, don't worry. I'm sure it's nothing. Lots of people get abnormal Pap smears and all is good. It mighta be the Tamox. Friend of mine had thick lining and a tough polyp in uterus because of Tamox. But everything turned out fine.

• nancy2581
    Options

thank you ladies for the encouragement. Only you ladies get it. My ob/gyn said I could bring my hubby to the biopsies lol. I said oh hell no - he fainted when I had a D&C years ago then again when we were talking to a nurse about my port that was soon to be put in. Ha ha ha

Nanc

• magdalene51
    magdalene51 Member Posts: 2,062
    Options

Diva, before the Xeloda, I was on halaven from November to April, at first had some reduction, but then progression. Before that, August to November, I was on Faslodex. I'm hoping this stuff will work!

Off to see the dental surgeon tomorrow, and get the dentures re-lined so I can eat.

• knmtwins
    Options

Mags - May the dentist get them adjusted well so you can eat again. BTW - did you expect some person from the DC area to tell you to go to Rush??? My God Father's family is from there. When he retired from working for the Bureau of Indian Affairs, and his brother retired, they went back and bought back 2/3 of the family farm. They are now cattle ranchers again. I've been out a few times, lovely and different from the wet muggy Washington area.

Nancy - you are too funny. I agree, these husbands... I had to sing 'Beth' to my husband during my C-Section to keep him upright. Just seeing me strapped to the table like Jesus (as he puts it, they strap your arms down straight out from your sides) was enough, they hadn't even cut me yet. He is a huge Kiss fan and that is the only song I know all of. Keep us posted, prayers and good thoughts!

• nancy2581
    Options

LOL knmtwins - these hubbies think they are so strong, but we know who the strong ones really are ha ha ha

So I had my cervical biopsy and uterine biopsy today. The cervical biopsy wasn't bad, but the uterine biopsy hurt like hell. Hope I don't have to do that again. Ouch. They found two white spots on my cervix (they put a vinegar type solution on the cervix and any abnormalities turn white) so my ob/gyn biopsied them. I think what is keeping me sane here is the fact that I tested negative for HPV. Most but not all cervical cancers are caused by HPV. My cervix was very dry apparently. When I had the uterine biopsy I wanted to cry ha ha - and she had to do it twice because she couldn't get enough tissue. She said this is a good thing and thinks my uterine lining is 1 - 2 mm. Tamoxifen can cause uterine thickening, but seems like it hasn't affected me YAY. So now I get to wait a week for results. Oddly enough I'm not really stressed about it. I think I used up all my worry and stress when I was diagnosed with BC. I feel very fortunate to have my ob/gyn and oncologist. Those two watch me like a hawk.

Hope all of my sisters are doing well. Have a great weekend. Hugs to you all

Nancy

• elainetherese
    Options

Nancy,

Wow! That biopsy of the uterus sounds like an ordeal! Ugh -- another week of waiting. Good news about the HPV negative. I made sure my daughter got the HPV vaccine; at the time, she wasn't too thrilled, but now that I've had cancer, she's happier about it.

You're lucky to have such great docs. I have had to get new ones. My OB/GYN has moved to Alabama, and my oncologist is moving her practice to north Oklahoma City. I will meet my new OB/GYN on Tuesday; we will have the oopherectomy vs. Zoladex debate then.

• nancy2581
    Options

Oh boy Elaine - it's never ending for us is it? I'm sorry you have to find an new ob/gyn and oncologist. That's hard. I hope the new oncologist is better (if possible) than the first. Male or female? This will sound weird, but I swear women (at least the ones I've had) always seem more thorough. Are you thinking of getting a oopherectomy?

I also got the HPV vaccine for my daughter - thankfully. My son too got it - he was less than thrilled lol, but I'm happy they both got it. I don't want either to have to deal with any of this cancer crap.

I hope you have a great weekend. Let us know how the new oncologist is.

Nancy

• elainetherese
    Options

Both my new OB/GYN and my MO are female. I'm sure they'll be fine. I've been on Zoladex for two years; I'm not sure when we can stop that and check to see if I'm post-menopausal. The injections aren't bad, but they are monthly. The other option is an ooph. We'll see.

• nancy2581
    Options

Got my cervical and uterine biopsies back. All benign hooray!!!! They said it was inflammation from what who knows. Also had my 3-D mammo and ultrasound - all clear. Yippee I can breathe again!!!

Nancy

• elainetherese
    Options

Good news, Nancy!!!

Inflammation, huh? Special K (on the triple positive board) has adopted an anti-inflammatory diet as part of her treatment approach. I've been too lazy to look into what that entails, but she believes that it has helped her better tolerate her hormonal therapy.

I have a dexa-scan today! Yay! I was borderline osteopenic two years ago; hopefully, I haven't gone into full-blown osteoporosis since.

• nancy2581
    Options

Oh hope that dexa-scan goes well today Elaine. Let us know what happens.

Inflammation diet? Probably should look into it, but I'm so set in my ways lol.

Nancy

• elainetherese
    Options

Ugh! I have osteoporosis and am at high risk of fracture! And I'm not even 50 yet.... Thanks, Aromasin. I wonder if I will get Prolia? I guess I'll find out when I see my new MO in July.

• nancy2581
    Options

Crap Elaine. I'm so sorry to hear this.. That just stinks. This darn cancer and what we have to go through to keep it away. I'm so afraid to go on those AI's and now I'm afraid to continue with tamoxifen. I guess we both will be seeing our oncs in July. Does Prolia help to rebuild the bones or just keep the bones from getting worse. Ugh hang in there.

Nancy

• elainetherese
    Options

Prolia helps rebuild bones, plus it helps prevent bone mets. Lots of ladies on the bone mets board take it. I guess the diagnosis doesn't change much. I get a dexascan every two years; who knows how long I've been osteoporatic.

Oh well. Just another med to add to the six I already take!

• knmtwins
    Options

Nancy - so glad all is OK. Elaine - boo hiss. I was osteopenic in 2015... am I supposed to get regular scans? Dag - getting old is expensive...

• elainetherese
    Options

kmntwins,

I don't know if you need a dexascan. It looks like you are on Tamoxifen, which is supposed to protect bone health. My insurance will approve one every two years, and since I'm on an AI, I do my scans every two years.

• nancy2581
    Options

Luckyme I get to go back on tamoxifen. NOT

Nancy

• elainetherese
    Options

Nancy,

Is that what your MO advised?

• nancy2581
    Options

Hi Elaine - yes that is what she said. I see her on July 7th and we will have a chat lol. Well I got a 3 week vacation from it 😬

Nancy

• nancy2581
    Options

Has anyone heard from pinkninja? She hasn't posted since April 11th. I hope she's just taking a break. Worried about her.

Nancy

Mags how are you doing

• knmtwins
    Options

Pink and I are FB friends. She took a vacation to NC / Break / see G-babies trip in the spring and came home to chemo. She just had another this week and I believe is heading off to another vacation with G-babies today. Her current bc.org chemo group uses facebook not bc.org, so she isn't on here as much. I'll pop her a message letting her know we are thinking about her and ask her to pop in and say hi.

• nancy2581
    Options

Oh that's great news - thanks knmtwins. I'm glad to hear she's keeping busy.

Nancy

• magdalene51
    magdalene51 Member Posts: 2,062
    Options

Also, she's been posting on her blog, which you can find here:

Living My Faith Out Loud

I'm doing well most of the time, gonna try to make it to church in the morning, didn't get there last week. Thank you for the continued prayers and good thoughts. I'll be excited to have my denture retainers implanted on Thursday as I still lose my bottom plate when I eat anything!

Blessings to all.

• elainetherese
    Options

Good to hear that Pinkninja and Mags are still hanging in there. Mags, I hope your retainer implant goes well this Thursday. It's hard to eat without your bottom teeth!

Speaking of dental work, I'm not going to do Prolia yet to address my osteoporosis. My new oncologist started me on Fosamax, a biophosphonate which can cause osteonecrosis of the jaw. In other words, it can cause the cells in my jaw to die. Yay. Yes, Nancy, cancer is the gift that keeps on giving. Apparently, the FDA has approved Prolia for osteoporosis once other medications don't work. So, if Fosamax doesn't work, I may end up on Prolia in the future.

• nancy2581
    Options

Good grief Elaine - these side effects are terrible. Of course, our other option is not taking them, but at what cost? Damned if you do and damned if you don't. That's right - cancer - the gift that keeps giving ugh.

Mags thanks for the blog link to pinkninja. I'm glad she's doing well and I was happy to hear you're doing well too. Good luck on Thursday. Not fun losing your bottom teeth so glad to hear no more of that as of Thursday. I think about you and pink often. Hugs to you both.

Nancy