Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Unilateral mastectomy & reconstruction

Options

Comments

• Monis
    Monis Member Posts: 309
    edited August 2014
    Options

Bali has a line of bras, "Comfort Revolution" I think, that are very stretchy and conforming.  I'm wearing those right now while things are healing and settling.  Very comfy and soft.

• Sparkle2014
    Sparkle2014 Member Posts: 83
    edited August 2014
    Options

Hi Monis - how are you doing/feeling?  are you doing ok on that tamoxifen - I noticed you work in eyecare - I work at L'Amy - we have eye glass frames (Visions, Lamy, C by Lamy, Nicole Miller, Ann Taylor, Nina Ricci, Columbia,,) just thought would say hello...  I hope your recent surgery went well - - was your swap out surgery in February - 3 months after your MX?  I am trying to plan my swap out surgery date - not sure if trying to do in early October 3 1/2 months after MX is rushing it - will do swap and left side lift for symmetry - did you feel doing the swap so soon after your MX was ok?  and did you lift the other natural side too?  hope to hear from you and wish you comfort and healing 

• stepmic
    stepmic Member Posts: 67
    edited August 2014
    Options

Thanks jeanie, I will let you know what my PS says tomorrow. It really is something how far away my big surgery that I had in January seems now. I am not thinking that I will have the nip surgery until this upcoming January as I am not in a rush and January is a great month for me to have surgery. It is so cold and snowy here in New Brunswick, Canada that I can just nestle in a comfy chair and heal.

Scubalady, we are planning the trip ourselves. I actually booked places to stay back in January when I was sitting in my comfy chair hurting and healing, it was a great distraction. I can send you more details if you like, just send me a private message.

I had quite a wait for my swap, last fill was August 15th, surgery was January 9th, so almost five months. But then I wanted to avoid the Christmas season and my PS is very booked so it all added up to quite a wait.

Monis, I see you have just had nipple reconstruction in late July. How did it go and how much time did you need off work? What method did your PS use? Have you had the tattoo part yet? My understanding is that it is a two-step process...thanks.

K

• Frostecat
    Frostecat Member Posts: 223
    edited August 2014
    Options

Enjoy your trip stepmic - lucky you to be going to Italy!

• aff
    aff Member Posts: 33
    edited August 2014
    Options

stepmic and scubalady - both my parents are from a small town in southern Italy. It's a beautiful town nestled in a mountain with amazing history. My entire extended family is still in Italy. I hope you both enjoy it as much as I do. 

I also have the Bali bras and love them. I have Bali model # 3484. 

stepmic - looking forward to hearing about your visit with the PS. I am a long way away as I have not even finished rads yet but already flip flop on the nipple issue. To nipple or not to nipple...who would ever have thought???

• Monis
    edited August 2014
    Options

Sparkle - I am doing well, thanks for asking.  Yes, I had my original exchange sgx just 3 months after my UMX.  My fills went fairly quickly, as I had 120cc's added every 1-2 weeks.  I was one of the fortunate ones and didn't have much discomfort at all with any of my fills.  I did have to wait 5 weeks after final fill for exchange.  The timing was just fine with me, as I was having no problems or discomfort, but everyone is different and some women need to have their fills much smaller and slower, and therefore their exchange sgx may be several months down the road.  I did also have a reduction and lift on the other side at the time of the exchange.  1 week ago I swapped out the implant for a different style/size to try and gain a little more symmetry, and also had my nip recon done.  Still healing from that - My PS "harvested" skin for the nipple/areola graft from my lower abdomen using an old scar from my C-section, so at least I don't have any "new" scars, but boy does that incision smart!  Getting better by the day though.  And yes, I do work in the "eye" industry.  I'm an ophthalmic technician, so I don't deal with fitting people with frames or anything like that, but I do check people for glasses prescriptions as part of my job.

Stepmic - My PS used the "Skate Flat" method of nip recon.  Skin from breast was used to form the nipple and skin "harvested" from my abdomen was used for the areola.  I still have the bandaging sutured on, which will be removed next week.  My new "fipple" is pain free, as there is no feeling in it, but the abdominal incision is quite sore still.  I had my sgx on a Tuesday, (at which time I also had an implant exchange done) and actually went back to work on Friday, but I was pretty sore and tired so probably should have waited until Monday to go back.  I will probably get tattooed as well, but I'm pretty sure you have to wait a few months before it can be done.  

• iswhatis55
    iswhatis55 Member Posts: 13
    edited August 2014
    Options

Hi all - I just found this site and hope that I can get a little info from those who have been there.  I had a uni mx in May and had a TE put in.  Have had about 8 fills so far.  Not sure how much - now I know I should ask that question!  My question for now is - is it normal for the fills to show up above the boob area?  I seem to be getting a  pocket up even with the top of my armpit and the fill doesn't always go into the chest area.  I assume that's where the top of the TE is and my PS keeps saying it's normal, but it doesn't look normal!

• Frostecat
    edited August 2014
    Options

Mine are perfectly round which of course is not the normal shape of a breast.  I do have a lot of fullness towards the top ie stripper boobs but that seems to be the norm.

• vettegirl
    vettegirl Member Posts: 136
    edited August 2014
    Options

My masectomy breast w TE is flat in the front, especially below the incision.....looks very lopsided.  It has more umph at the top-its high and wide, and hard as a brick.

• scubalady
    scubalady Member Posts: 49
    edited August 2014
    Options

Mine is exactly the same as vettegirl described.

• Unknown
    edited August 2014
    Options

hi everyone,,,,, I am having an issue with my implant as it is very heavy(800cc naturelle ), I liked the upper pole roundness but it is slipping lower each day, but I have a lot of excess skin  that we will be removing so PS says it will tighten   My TE was just like my implant, high and round, we also discussed another surgery on the natural breast  cause thesymmetry   is not right , needs to contour more by the armpit,, not looking forward to that one,,,, the healing on the lift was done July 17th, I can't believe how sore it still is and still healing,,,I DO have feeling in my nipple (horray)...... I would not of been a happy camper if I lost feeling in it because that was the main reason I only did a UNX ,  

Iswhatitis,,,,,, if you are not sure of something keep asking and don't do anything that you don't fully understand, always remember it is your body and YOU make the final decision,,,,,, I am still learning to ask questions,,,, it is a lot to try to learn and figure out,,,, and we are the ones in the end that has to be happy with the final say,,,,,, STUPID CANCER,,,,,,,,,,, Healing hugz to all,,,,,, J

• stepmic
    edited August 2014
    Options

Aff, so cool to have family from Italy! Thanks for the trip wishes frostecat.

As for my nipple chat (you had me laughing with your comment, aff... to nipple or not to nipple, whoever would have thought!), it went well. Although my PS is arrogant and hard to read, I guess he has warmed to me a bit over the past year and also I keep boosting his ego by telling him how pleased I am with recon. He also uses the skate method, Monis, and he actually drew out what it means... to hard to describe. He said sometimes there is enough skin to make nipple and areola from breast skin and sometimes not. He checked me out and there is not so he will harvest skin from upper thigh. He said that as I go each surgery is smaller, lower risk of infection and easier on the body to heal. He did say that my inner thigh will be very sore as it is a spot that will rub against the other. He said a week off should do it but I will take more if it is really bothering me. Tattooing has to wait for nine months, he said. He really believes in total healing before more work.

So it didn't sound that bad... I signed the papers and I should get a call in December to book me for January. My husband isn't as keen for me to have more surgery but I realized when he told me that how important it is for me to have this final step.

Oh the only thing I didn't really like is that he said he needs to make the nipple project a lot when he does the surgery because normally it shrinks back a lot. It is easier to trim it back than to make it bigger so I guess I have to put up with a very erect nipple for a while until it shrinks. Dear me... nursing pads might help, he said.

Monis, did your PS make your nipple a lot bigger to begin with?

To those of you with struggles with implants or TEs, I do hope you can get the shape and symmetry you desire!

K

• Frostecat
    edited August 2014
    Options

Stepmic - a co-worker of mine had this type of surgery.  It didn't sound like a piece of cake to me, and she said urinating was painful because if a little leaked on the wound, yowza!  Her PS said they like to get as close as they can to that area because the skin is darker??  I also had one of my mammogram techs say she had it, and she said she was surprised by how large the scar was for her from that.  But she also was a BMX so probably more was taken.

I don't mean to frighten you away from this, that isn't my intention, I'm just passing along what I heard about this type of surgery.  Overall it must not be too bad, as it certainly would be posted somewhere on these boards if it was.

• Monis
    edited August 2014
    Options

Stepmic, I have no idea yet what size my new nipple is, as I'm still bandaged up for another couple of days!  It will be a surprise. 

• stepmic
    edited August 2014
    Options

Monis, yes a good surprise! Please let me know how you make out when bandages are off. Have you been sore at all?

Frostecat, thanks for the heads up on the discomfort. My PS did say it was but I think your version is a bit more accurate. He did tell me the skin had more pigmentation there also. I really appreciate you passing on the information... always good to be in the know before you do something!

Thanks.

• islandmom
    islandmom Member Posts: 131
    edited August 2014
    Options

stepmic,  I had a nip made out of the breast skin and the areola came from my upper thigh.  I would say it was uncomfortable, but not painful.  Peeing was tricky but only for a few days.  I wore skirts with no panties.  The skin is dark, although not quiet as dark as my other nip, but a lot better than regular skin color.  It does have some texture.  Overall, I am happy. 

About the scar on the upper thigh, it does not really show in a bathing suit.  Actually the end of scar is in the butt fold, so if I am standing you cannot see it.  If I bend over you can see the end of the scar a little.  Hopefully no one is looking that close at my butt...    

About the shrinking, they really do.  If you are having your surgery in January it will be easier to hide the nip protectors.  In the summer it is challenging to get tops to camouflage.

• stepmic
    edited August 2014
    Options

Islandmom, thanks so much for your information. It is really helpful!! I love this site and thread!! It looks like you have had lots of surgery. Did you have to have some things redone? Did you get the nipple tattoed?

Thanks.
    K

• islandmom
    islandmom Member Posts: 131
    edited August 2014
    Options

stepmic,  glad you found the info helpful.  I have had a few surgeries, the interesting part is that none were caused by complications, infections, etc.  Weight loss was the reason for the revisions.  I had the exchange and a lift on my non-MX side in the summer of 2011.  I had the nip/areola done 4 months after the exchange, therefore the nip/areola I got were bigger because they matched my then bigger breast.  

In the summer of 2012 I was much thinner and  very uneven, so my PS took the 550 cc implant and replaced with a 450 cc.  At that time he attempted  to reduce the nip but it was still bigger than the non-MX side.  I kind of made peace with it because I was busy.  

Last year when I went to get my yearly mammogram, they could see a suspicious lump right were the lift scars were.  I was less worried because I remember it appearing right after the lift.  My PS removed the lump, which was scar tissue.  He said: "Since you are going to be under, I might as well improve the other side".  He reduced the areola and plumped the nipple since it had flattened.  

I need to get the tip of the nip tattooed, because it is much lighter than the areola, but I do not know when I will get it done.  I am in the process of starting a business so that has been consuming all my time and energy.   

• toni67
    toni67 Member Posts: 10
    edited August 2014
    Options

I was kicking myself during a second mammo after BS and radiologist found a spot in my left breast after MRI and first set of mammo. Developed capsular contracture fluid build up and had to have it removed. I'm five days out of surgery. 

• Frostecat
    edited August 2014
    Options

I'm sorry to hear that ugh!  Another thing for doubting UMX vs BMX,  if I had thought I would continue to have to have MRI's I might have thought twice.  I did not do well in the MRI and almost hit the panic button it was one of my most unpleasant experiences in this journey

• Sparkle2014
    edited August 2014
    Options

Frostecat, I am just curious (as I mentioned that I only removed my Right Breast - for past 7 years of tests - never any signs of any suspicious activity in LEFT - other than them being dense - however it was always my right breast that was more fibrous and lumpy - esp, 8 days or so prior to my period.

I was a bit nervous about the MRI with the two breasts hanging down the holes on the hard MRI machine, however I just kept saying - be as still as possible and breathe calm, as if you twitch - they may need to re-do it,,,,  also my Aunt had had it and she was more like you felt - so she was telling me - "ask them to give you a sedative into the tube they do the dye in" - so I did know if I began to get panic (and I have panic disorder! so that was a possibility) - just knowing I could ask, made me feel bit calmer

It was freezing in the MRI center - I had the booties on they had there and I asked for blankets and asked them if they could place anything soft under my shoulder bones that were against the table (they did and that helped so much - I believe they took a bunch of gauze and placed under each shoulder)  and take your time afterwards - get up slow and don't make them make you feel rushed to get out to your locker room,,,,  I had had two biopsies 10 days prior to my double breast MRI - so I was still quite soar just from having those not too long before... 

so I just am curious - what did your tests results show on your Left side - meaning your MRI, mammo and or Ultrasound?  if you never had anything suspicious, that is good news.  Your team is going to be monitoring you like a hawk so even in the very slim chance anything did appear, wouldn't it be so small when found - and treatable (you then could remove the Left if needed??) 

that is sort of my own rationale - or in a year when you feel better - maybe you would say you know - let's remove the Left one now just for added peace of mind...

but looking on the bright side, what if you luck out and never see a cancer in the left??  that is possible and then you still have one natural breast and feeling on one side - this is what I am hoping for for myself - never to see another cancer and to just have one implant..

hope you are well,, Mary Beth

• meow13
    meow13 Member Posts: 1,363
    edited August 2014
    Options

I dont get the terms but I had a simple left mastectomy

Really complete removal of skin, tissue and nipple. Absolutely horrifying. I was a C cup so wow yes lopsided I couldn't stand it so i had Diep with fabulous symmetrical results they lifted right side for a nice match still c cup. Nipple and tatoo all done.

• Frostecat
    edited August 2014
    Options

Marybeth - your rationale is the same as mine, which is why I ultimately chose UMX, and not to mention all of my Dr's. said it was not necessary for me to have a BMX.  My left breast is perfectly clear (albeit dense), and it is has never given me trouble in the preceding years on mammogram unlike the cancerous side.  I'm just hoping I don't have to face another mastectomy in the future as I am certainly looking to put this all behind in the year 2014!

Meow - I questioned DIEP surgery (I mean I sure could use a tummy tuck too), but that procedure is not done in my area.  I would have had to have traveled to get it done, and with recovery and follow-up The 3 hour drive each way wasn't in the cards for me.  Who knows, maybe somewhere down the road I can have a DIEP and remove the implant, once it is a offered and a perfected in my area.  P.S.  absolutely adore your cats!

• aff
    aff Member Posts: 33
    edited August 2014
    Options

Meow - I also had DIEP. I am only 9 weeks post surgery but I am very happy with the symmetry. I am just finishing rads, only 3 left, and thought there would be changes due to rads. I am thrilled that the new foob still looks just as it did after surgery. I know there could still be some changes as my body heals from rads but so far so good.

• meow13
    meow13 Member Posts: 1,363
    edited August 2014
    Options

I know they say radiation really is terrible on the skin but I have 2 friends that had rads before DIEP and they also have beautiful results. Plastic surgery is really getting better all the time. Good luck to you.

• Unknown
    edited August 2014
    Options

hey everyone,,,, I had my lift on my naturel breast July 17th, I  was wondering if anyone who has undergone this procedure already if the incision took long to heal, I still have a partial opening under the breast in the middle, the bra keeps it from healing I think but in the last two days I have some burning in the breast,,,, I see Dr on Monday but he doesn't know yet about burning,,, anyone else have this problem ?????? Healing and hugz to all,,,,,,, J

• Sparkle2014
    edited August 2014
    Options

Hi Jeanie beanie,

my DX is very close to yours - sorry to hear your lift is healing slow - instead of wearing a bra that is rubbing against the stitched area, can you keep the area dry, very clean and cover it with gauze and paper tape (no latex tape) and then WRAP your Breasts in soft scarf - like a bandeau bra - or like the 8 inch wide ace bandages they send you home with after biopsies so you get soft support and nothing pinching - you can then wrap ace bandages around the outside of soft cotton scarf for added support and tuck in - just an idea - I have had very hard time with bras since surgery - I have shoulder issues so any straps over my shoulders are not bras I can tolerate - I have sewn many of my own bandeau bras - seemless ones that I buy at Charlotte Russe for $5.99 - the small is not tight enough so I gather it in an inch in back towards left shoulder and sew it tighter - this way I have compression and it stays up and no straps digging into my shoulders... I also hope you are not wearing any bras with underwire,,,  check out the Barely There seemless bras (kohls), cotton Hanes bralette at walmart, bandeau bras at Charlotte Russe online and maybe some of the cotton pullover bras from Gap Body and Om Girl has many cotton bras for Yoga and Pilates that have no wire and are cotton so feel good on...  (barefoot yoga online has those)...  and be careful if shower - to not get the area wet - maybe some shampoo or soap got into the wound if you showered or perfume or powder or body lotion - best to try to avoid any products getting close to the incision - can you CALL YOUR DR over weekend - I would try to call and if get the answering service - ask him/her to call you and explain what is happening vs waiting - - just in case infection beginning - your DR should be willing to call you if you do call and leave word like them to ring you asap...  hope you hear whatever it is is nothing serious,  HUGZ to you.

*alcohol prep wipes in canister at rite aid pharmacy are a good item to have in house - I wiped my own hands and used when taking care of my bandages after MX - I also wiped down the drain tube with those as read keeping wound very sanitary and dry is super important,  I am sure you have been careful but that bra maybe not a great idea right now....  ???

xo 

• stepmic
    edited August 2014
    Options

Sparkle, you have so many creative and smart ideas! I am sure your advice will be helpful to many!

Jeanie, I had burning but in the two weeks after surgery. Thinking of you, hope all works out okay when you get to see your doctor.

K

• Unknown
    edited August 2014
    Options

thank you Sparkle,,,, I have been wearing the genie bra, no underwire, and my surgical bras at night, but they aren't the greatest for support,,,,, my Dr prescribed  silver sulfadiazine when I saw him 2 weeks ago,,,,, I was wondering the same thing,,, how is it going to heal if it stays "wet"????....I trust my Dr totally and I see him at 9:30 tomorrow morning,,,, I really don't like the way it is looking,,,,,it may be possible I got some shower gel or soap in it,,,, gosh I hope not,,,, I sure don't want to lose what I still have left 😔😔thank you for all of the bras that work but I am not any one size yet,,,lol,,,still a work in progress,,,I will keep you posted  in the am,,,,,, I did drink some beers last Sunday & Wednesday, could that have anything to do with it???? Or maybe just combo of all....... 

Stepmic, it has been a month,,, ,,,, I sure hope nothing serious,,,, maybe antibiotic again??? I am so tired of trying to figure shit out,,,, it is what it is I guess,,, and we will ALL know tomorrow,,,,,, healing and hugz to all..... J

• Unknown
    edited August 2014
    Options

just a quick update,,, doc said all was fine, no infection, just a hard spot to heal,,, see him in 2 weeks,per my request,, need some time off before the summer is gone,,,then we will proceed with the tweaking of the 'girls",,,, i feel bettter that he told me all was ok, and the burning is part of the healing,,, whew,,,, hope this finds everyone healing as best we can,,,, hugz to all.....J