Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Unilateral mastectomy & reconstruction

Options

Comments

• Frostecat
    Frostecat Member Posts: 223
    edited September 2014
    Options

I've just read about 20 pages on the Bras 101 thread and not one UNI on there (of course).  After my PS appt. Weds., I was wrapped in an ACE bandage and told not to take it off for two days, well here it is.  I think she told me I could start wearing bras or compression cami.  They throw so much info at you I get confused.  I think I am leaning towards a sports bra and using a kotex as a liner underneath.  I have a couple from the last surgery, I guess I'll give them a try to see if they will fit.  I hope I'm not pushing things being 10 days out, but I'm ready to start feeling somewhat normal again.

• Unknown
    edited September 2014
    Options

nothing sounds crazy Hun, we are the ones who look in the mirror everyday and are reminded . And yes, you are right about hubby , it is hard to explain how or what I am feeling,,, my breasts feel different and I am reminded 24/7 of that,,,,, what drug are you on? I started anastrozal in January and the joint pain can and has brought me to tears, and between not getting the "girls" comfy at night, and the knee and thigh pains, sleep is an unknown creature for me. I sleep maybe an hour or two and then up every hour. When I tell DH I am tired and going to lay down he doesn't understand,,, well he does and he doesn't.

• angelia50
    angelia50 Member Posts: 168
    edited September 2014
    Options

Jeaniebeanie, again, you are exactly right. I am on the same meds you are and I have had a terrible pain in my hip and sometimes in my back.  I haven't slep in the bed but maybe two inights since my mastectomy.  At first, it was due to not being able to sleep on my back but now, even if I lay on the other side, I get a terrible pain in my hip.  I have been trying the Claratin that one poster suggested and I think it may be helping but I sleep in my recliner every night.  I never did sleep all night even prior to all of this but in the bed,I sure dont' sleep and thats with taking Melatonin and over the counter sleep help too.  My husband says well sometimes, you just need to move around, that will help. Yeah, thats a great idea except if your hip barely lets you walk, how are you moving?  I'm going to try finding one of those wedge pillows today and see if that might at least allow me to be in the bed, although I can sleep on in my chair but I think he's getting a little to used to hogging the bed and may never let me and the dog back in if he stay out much longer.

• Unknown
    edited September 2014
    Options

lol @ ang,,' yeah,,, me tooooo with the hip pain, hubby says the same shit, if you do things during the day you would be tired at night,,,,,, yeah,,ok,,,I too never slept well before this either, and take the melatonin, I found one by Sundown that says,,,, super snooze,,, lmao,,, it worked for about 2 weeks,,so Dr gave me Clonazepam 5 mg, and told me to stop taking Xanax at night and take the other,,, well, it had the opposite effect!!!! Kept me up all night   Hahahaha,,,,,I figure I will get tired enough and eventually sleep.. I never used a recliner for sleep, maybe I should,

• scubalady
    scubalady Member Posts: 49
    edited September 2014
    Options

Hi all. 

My exchange surgery went well. I'm still wrapped up like a mummy so I haven't seen how things look yet. Based on my discomfort areas, I believe there was a fair amount of work in the side to take out the extra skin on my right side that was left from the mastectomy. When I lifted my arms over my head, I had my two normal menopause/Arimadex fat rolls on the lifted side and three rolls on the UMX side, so he planned on removing that. He also said there was a lot of scar tissue to be cleaned up inside my original MX incision, and he did some pocket work to move the pocket in because the expander was wide and under my armpit.

The one thing that has me nervous is that he was originally thinking of probably a Mentor 550cc, (as Whippetmom did) and according to my card I have a Mentor 350-4501BC, which is. 450cc moderate plus profile. It sounds so much smaller than I was expecting, but all the nurses were telling me that my PS is really a perfectionist, and that they would all make sure they picked the one that gave me the best match. I have lost about 10 pounds since we started all this and I'm only 5'2", so that 10 pounds might have been enough to make something smaller look better.

I have an appointment Monday so I'll get to see if they made a good selection or not.

• islandmom
    islandmom Member Posts: 131
    edited September 2014
    Options

Frostecat, before you start shopping for bra, get yourself measured.  If there is a Nordstrom's near you, go there.  We do not have one where I live, but Dillard's did a great job.  The bras they sell are kind of pricey, but they always have a clearance rack.  Those ladies are pros and bring lots of bras to try.  I was wearing a 36C prior, now I wear 32DD.

Once you find your size and the brands that fit you, then you can shop what is on clearance or look on Ebay, if you are on a budget. 

When I got measured I did buy couple bras at the full price, which is around $50 to $60.  After that I have paid a third to a half for good quality bras.  Before bc, I never spent much on a bra.  Once I got used to a well made bra, I cannot go back. 

I wear unlined bras, except when wearing t-shirts, and I do not have a problem filling the cup.  It really depends and some bras are more forgiving than others.  I LOVE Freya, they are exquisite.

• lala1
    lala1 Member Posts: 974
    edited September 2014
    Options

Frostecat---Go try the Bali 3488. It's soft, non wire and lined so your nip won't show. And it's got good compression to still give some support. I'm still unable to wear an underwire despite being 18 months out from exchange surgery. I have some scar tissue where my drains were and it's right where the wire sits so I think that's my problems. I am getting myofascial release therapy massage there periodically and it seems to be helping some. The other day I managed to wear an underwire for 3 hours instead of 30 minutes!! I saw my PS the other day for a checkup and he seemed a bit disappointed that I still couldn't wear underwire but also said it didn't matter to him what I wore. He offered to lift my native side a bit to match even better if I wanted, but I'm finally learning to accept that I won't be perfectly even. I am almost a perfect match in clothes and I think that's good enough for now.

Everyone, I know alot of people are worried about matching recon breasts and native breasts and I just want to say it can be done. My pics are on the picture forum if anyone wants to see my results. I've had a 600cc implant put in on left side and a 120cc put in on the right side along with a lift which was done with an incision around my aerola. Happily, I still have all feeling on that side. I then had my nip recon doing the CV flap style which was a breeze and then Vinnie tattooed an aerola on for me this past June. So as of now, I'm all done. I'm completely happy with my decision to do a uni. I keep telling people that as much pain and range of motion difficulty I had with a uni mx, I can't imagine how people handle a double mx!! And I went to the beach last week and no one could even tell which side was removed! (I did find that I had to watch what types of bathing suits I wore. Anything not supportive would let my native side droop too much and was really noticeable.)

So any questions for someone who's finished the process, feel free to ask. And check out my photos if you want to see my results.

• vettegirl
    vettegirl Member Posts: 136
    edited September 2014
    Options

I too would like to hear more about the CV flap for the nipple?  Where do they take that skin from?

• Frostecat
    edited September 2014
    Options

Thank you for the bra suggestions ladies.  I don't have a Nordstrom's near me but do have a Dillards's.  I think I'll wait until Monday to go when it will be less crowded.  I called the PS office and they told me I could take the ACE bandage off and where a bra.  Anything stretchy and comfortable, sports bra, compression camisole whatever feels best.  So before I hopped in the shower, I tried what I was wearing before exchange (and stuffing one side) the Playtex Unitasker, and to my surprise it worked well, I then tried the Genie, and that worked great and was super comfy too.  I tried my Fruit of the Loom sports bra, ouch, couldn't even hook that thing in the front without pain, that is a no go.  So for now, I'll work with these, but I'm interested in the Freya Islandmom and I'll also check out the Bali Lala and your picture forum!

Also, I had ordered something online awhile ago, hoping it would help the with pain I was having under my cup of my bra after my TE (which I found out was due to a wrong bra size and really hurting), I never ended up using them, it is like a padding that fits under the band of the bra, and goes up to the nipple area.  I forgot about them and just found these at the bottom of my bra drawer and was like AH HA!  It is the perfect thing for my lifted breast to cover my nipple and the IMF scar, they are call Pambra's:  pambras.com    I don't know why, but I can never post a link!  It is the perfect solution to protect my nipple, vertical incision and the IMF scar and a little padding under the band.  I like having a little protection to these raw scars and I don't have to worry about a kotex falling out - lol.  AND you can simply throw them in the washing machine.  I can't believe how great this is working out!  Just thought I would share with you.

P.S.  They have one specifically for unilateral, but I bought the bi-lateral because I wanted the band to go all around the bottom of my bra and not just one side.  This seems to be helping right now with the exchange side too and the pain underneath there.  Plus it also covers the scar where the exchange was done.

• Frostecat
    edited September 2014
    Options

Lala, I remember I did see your pic forum - and you made me a believer in UNI after much regret.  I noticed you made a comment about "up north" would that be as in Michigan?

• Fourminor
    Fourminor Member Posts: 118
    edited September 2014
    Options

ooh i have questions.  I am real comfy in my 32DD support underwear bras, one of which I'm wearing now.  (I also wore the wrong size most of my life, was wearing 34 B until i was 40 and hubs took me to fitter when I was first dxd. )

Am I going to ever wear these bras again?  Because my native breast prefers support.  I figured for a while I'd need something soft, but I figured eventually I would need my right one supported like it is now.  From what you all are saying, that sounds like maybe no?

My PS had another uni patient in the office when i went in (What was she there for?  Oh she has a new cancer on the other side three years later goddammitt).  She had a gummy and well, obviously out of a bra in a gown the native boob was hanging low while the reconstruct was up high.  But I had to imagine that if she put a bra on that picked up the other, they would be in a close enough range that it wouldn't be so bad.  

She was really nice, she hugged me and even encouraged me to touch it and I hope she is OK.  She did say that hopefully they would match now.

Bathing suits.... I was already moving on to swim dresses this past year to hide tops of thighs.  Youth went too fast.

• Cat123
    Cat123 Member Posts: 47
    edited September 2014
    Options

Hi!

I had a uni.  Tissue expander and then an implant.  I had decided not to do a lift on the otherside but I was definately lop-sided.  I just didn't want more scars.  However, I lost my implant last year due to an infection so it is back to the drawing board....so to speak! 

• lala1
    edited September 2014
    Options

Yes, the CV flap is also what everyone calls origami. The doc makes a cut somewhat in the shape of a UFO (think George Jetson!) and folds the 2 sides around then folds the top part over the top of the 2 sides. I'm probably not making sense but that's how I think of it. I watched some of it but I'm a bit squeamish with blood, much less my own. ;)  It took about half an hour and we chatted the whole time. He had me protect it for a couple of weeks but me being me protected it for 3 months. I have to say it did shrink alot. It's still noticeable to me though when I look down and that's what I did it for....so I could look down at my boobs and see 2 nipples. And when Vinnie tattooed it, he shaded underneath where the nip kinda lays over and flattens so when you look at my foob, it looks like it "pops" out normally. That's the great thing about Vinnie and his 3D abilities!!

So here are my thoughts on all this "touch up" stuff.....I think it's worth every minute, every bit of agony, every tear, every dollar, everything. I have 2 boobs again, albeit one new and one refurbished, with 2 nipple and 2 areolas. Before BC I never gave a 2nd thought to my boobs (or anyone else's for that matter!). Now I'm obsessed....with mine and everyone else's!! I'm 51 years old and never had kids. I had 51 year old boobs that I put into a 38B bra....wrong size of course. Now I have these great perky ta tas that fit in a 34DD bra (although I can't wear underwire now they still look damn good when I put one on!) thanks to a great PS who knew just what to do. I had 500cc breast removed and had a 600cc implant put in. This was the only way to get any sort of projection. Then I had a lift and he added 120cc to native side to match. Nurses said he must have tried dozens of implants till he was satisfied. Then he did a great job of giving me a nipple a few months later. I had a checkup the other day for the first time in 9 months and I could tell he was a little disappointed in how much the nip shrank. He said he could make a tiny incision and inject some alloderm in there if I wanted a little more projection. I told him I was never a fan of the headlights on look and since I could see a perfectly good nip from my point of view, that for now I'd stick with what I got. If I change my mind, it's a quick painless in-office procedure. And then the wonderful Vinnie gave me an areola. He was an awesome guy who did an awesome job and made me feel great. He was worth every penny of the $600 I had to pay cause my insurance doesn't cover it. My PS, who had never heard of Vinnie or 3D tattoos, was waiting breathlessly to see the results and he said it's a much more natural skin toned tattoo than he could ever give. He plans to suggest Vinnie to all his patients and actually wants to see if Vinnie would do some training clinics for his tattoo girl! I asked my DH for his honest opinion about a month after Vinnie and he said he could barely tell the difference in strong light and could tell no difference under "intimate" lighting.

So yes...worth all the extra money, blood and sweat in my humble opinion. I hope like hell to never ever do it again but at least find comfort in knowing that if I did, I'm much better prepared. And most of that preparation came from all the ladies here who offered their advice to get me where I am today. Dec will be 2 years since my mx and I find I'm actually happier and healthier than I ever was before diagnosis. I'm a big believer in finding silver linings in dark clouds. And I'm a big believer in doing whatever it is that makes you a happier person whether it be flat and fabulous or new boobs,nips and areolas. After all we've been through we deserve a s**tload of happiness!!

• lala1
    edited September 2014
    Options

Frostecat---Not sure in what context I mentioned "up north". Maybe in that I go to Virginia every summer?

• angelia50
    edited September 2014
    Options

There is a youtube that shows them building the nipple with the procedure you are talking about. Its very interesting seeing how they do it.

• Frostecat
    edited September 2014
    Options

Great story Lala!!!!!  I loved reading it, and it is very empowering!!!  (I must have misread the up-north from someone else's post - sorry)

I have a couple of questions for you regarding Vinnie - I'm leaning towards not doing the nipple reconstruction and just going with the 3d tattoo.  Does he do the tattoos without having nipple reconstruction too?  I was hoping the "3D" part made it look like you had a nipple.  Also was the $600 cost for one nipple?  I've read different prices anywhere from $400 to $800 depending on one or two.  Did you go to Delaware or NOLA, and how long was the wait?  Did it hurt?  (I don't have much feeling there but I never thought in my life I would get a tattoo either).  I wish there were more "Vinnies" in this country, I know if I was a tattoo artist what I would be working on specializing in for sure! 

My PS esthetician does it, but she had never even heard of Vinnie - so I checked that off immediately.  If I can't make it to Vinnie, I am at least going to find a true tattoo artist.

• lala1
    edited September 2014
    Options

Vinnie does do nip/areola tattoos. He actually prefers doing ones without recon nips because he says they are easier to do/match. And the 3D part makes it look real. Look at the pictures on his website. There are tons of 3D nips. I paid $600 for the one areola tattoo. I'm guessing it's the same whether it's just an areola or the nip and areola. And I was told it was $800 for both sides. He gives you a form to submit to your insurance. My insurance considered him out of pocket so it went to that deductible which is, of course, huge so it made no real dent for me. I had mine done in Maryland. I booked in Nov and got in to see him this past June. I did have to wait a while for him. He was doing another mx tattoo. I think I had to wait about 45 minutes. You can take someone in with you if you want. I was planning to take my DH in with me but went in first without him for pictures and such and then got so caught up in chatting with Vinnie, I totally forgot to get him!

As to hurting....I have no feeling in my foob so I figured it would be pretty easy. Well, I guess I have more than I thought. It was not painless but at the same time it wasn't anything I couldn't handle. Ever get a lip wax or underarm wax? It's painful like that. Maybe not quite that bad. It just takes a while so by the time you get to the end, you're kinda ready for it to be done. When he first started, I kinda flinched and expressed surprise that I could feel it and he seemed surprised as well, so I'm guessing it's not usually painful at all. Don't get me wrong...I felt it and it was uncomfortable but very doable. Also, I popped a couple of Tylenol just before which helped for my 3 hour drive home. Every once in a while the seatbelt would hit just so and it would give me some pain. Should have taken my little travel pillow that I used after my mastectomy. Most people talk about going out to lunch or drinks or shopping afterwards so I'm betting I have more feeling in the foob that others. Not complaining....I'm guessing that's a good thing!!

• Frostecat
    edited September 2014
    Options

Thank you for all the great detailed information.  Looks like I better start my scheduling soon - he has quite the waiting list!

• lovecat3
    lovecat3 Member Posts: 13
    edited September 2014
    Options

I am so happy to read your post. Having unilateral DIEP leaving Tuesday for surgery Thursday will be reading your post again for reassurance ! Glad you are doing well and happy with your results

:-)

• scary
    scary Member Posts: 91
    edited September 2014
    Options

I'm a UNI too.  One more fill to go, then exchange surgery with reduction/lift on the other side.

• angelia50
    edited September 2014
    Options

how long after your final fill before you can have exchange?  I had my final fill about 2 weeks ago but I have to wait 3 months for the exchange.

• AZ85048
    AZ85048 Member Posts: 1,467
    edited September 2014
    Options

angella 50 - That is the $64,000.00 question.  It all depends on your PS.  Some PSs require a specific waiting period and some do not.  As my fills ended in December, and my deductible had been met, my exchange was ten days after my last fill so we could fit it in before the end of the year; but that's the exception.  Most wait a month or two, and some even wait four months before exchange.  It all depends on you and your PS.

• scary
    scary Member Posts: 91
    edited September 2014
    Options

i think it might be at least a month before the exchange, if not longer.

• Monis
    Monis Member Posts: 309
    edited September 2014
    Options

I would imagine everyone's circumstances are different.  In my case, I only had to wait 5 weeks.  I also had no complications with my MX and fills were quick, easy and painless.  And, every surgeon is probably different as well in how long they prefer to wait.  We all know how different they can be in all other aspects of reconstruction!

• vettegirl
    edited September 2014
    Options

I will have 7 months between my Uni surgery and reconstruction surgery.  I had radiation in between and will have to wait three months for reconstruction surgery after rads.

I am happy also to hear some success stories, thank you for posting.  I honestly dont understand how in 2014 with today's technology, we cant expect to look at least close to how we used to look and be happy with our results.

• vettegirl
    edited September 2014
    Options

Bosum-I actually had one of the nurses in the PS's office say that to me, "You will look good in a shirt.  All your scars will be in your bra."  I told her that was not good enough.  I want to look normal, and feel normal...when I look in the mirror, FOR ME.  I think we have a right to expect that, and push for that.  Even if it takes several treatments/procedures to get me there.  My PS told me he could make me beautiful again-if I am patient with it and him.  I think it is important we fight for that if it is important to us.  I liked my boobs, didnt ask for this stupid disease....I want to like my new boobs too. 

• chipmunk57
    chipmunk57 Member Posts: 28
    edited September 2014
    Options

So happy to have found this thread! I thought I was the only one in the world .

• Frostecat
    edited September 2014
    Options

Welcome Chipmunk!  There are not many of us uni's out there so it's great you have found this group!

One thing I forgot to mention, as I was being wheeled in for my exchange, the nurse made a comment how she has been seeing a lot more uni's lately.  She said it had always seemed like its been BMX so she's been surprised to see so many uni's lately.

• lovecat3
    lovecat3 Member Posts: 13
    edited September 2014
    Options

I arrived today in San Antonio met w surgeon I love him!! Surgery is Thursday AM. I have been living w a concave left side for 4 years. I feel more hopeful after meeting w him and what to expect from the "first" surgery. I now know why I traveled so far  It is a "process" but it's a start. I just want to be able to walk around my house or sit with my hub in a tank top without feeling so self conscious and disfigured hiding in my closet to get dressed or undressing in the shower. Stuffing my prosthetic into an AHH bra UGH!!!!

• Sparkle2014
    Sparkle2014 Member Posts: 83
    edited September 2014
    Options

Frostecat - love to hear many more details about your swap surgery on MX side and details about the LIFT - I hope the pain on that side is beginning to come to an end - my surgery (will be like yours) in November and PS says it won't be big deal - said I will be fine after 4 days or so - i sort of ????  that though!

Personally - any SURGERY with anesthisia and almost 4 hrs to me is a BIG DEAL!

please share any helpful tips - or any questions you feel you would have liked to have asked prior - - I am going for a 34 small C, (like what I was prior to BC) - not aiming to go bigger,,,,  and not worried about nipple, as the women I know who had nipple reconstructed in third surgery said they would have skipped that and just decided on some type nipple tatoo or tatoo in that side...

I am leaning towards a happy tatoo - maybe a small anchor (showing strength with a small #11 on part of it as that is my favorite # and also symbolic to me for twin towers, strength, a pair and other things that I associate #11 with - not wrinkles between the forehead!!)....  I want to see something on my breast on the cancer side that reminds me of how LUCKY I am and something happy and personally a tatoo is my idea best for me vs a fake nipple,,,,  at least we all have many options!  you will decide what is best for yourself,,  but think it through,  let us know how you are managing now,,,  hope feeling better this week!  and good thing is you have completed surgery #2 and maybe your last surgery!!  :)