Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Unilateral mastectomy & reconstruction

Options

Comments

• Fourminor
    Fourminor Member Posts: 118
    edited October 2014
    Options

i dont know what to make of this but today i went through preop and i went to sign consent for surgery and my surgeon had prepared a consent for bilateral mastectomy!  She was with another patient and i wound up leaving--they will prepare a new one i will sign date of surgery. But now im wondering, is someone trying to tell me something?

My husband admits he wishes i were going bilateral. 

I just cant think about it anymore!!!!!

• Frostecat
    Frostecat Member Posts: 223
    edited October 2014
    Options

Personally this was the toughest decision for me through this whole journey, and the decision needed to be made when I had very little knowledge on the topic.  There are pros and cons to both.  I kept wishing somebody would just make the decision for me, my husband, my surgeons whoever.  Ultimately it has to be YOUR decision so you need to choose what you feel most comfortable with.

Whichever you choose be prepared for regrets after the fact.  It seems like a lot of us have them, because really - who wants to do either?

• Fourminor
    edited October 2014
    Options

I agree 1000%.  Over time I will still wonder what was the right decision.  And if I get another BC, I really will be upset.    But then I think about looking in the mirror and seeing both of them gone and I feel it will be too much to process.

I said to someone that the thing about cancer is that you get these shitty choices to make and all you can do is try pick the least horrible one.  I feel that pretty much sums up the entire experience I've taken so far.

Frostecat, how do you feel about them now?  You are almost a month out since your last surgery?

• Loveroflife
    Loveroflife Member Posts: 4,243
    edited October 2014
    Options

I'm new to the community and so glad to have found this forum. Akitagirl, i m in the same situation as far as breast size. I don't want to go big because I have a small frame (34a , 5'5" ,118lbs) I would be happy with a b cup. I will see a PS in February of 2015 for consultation...seems so far away.  But I should not complain because I m so grateful that I have clear margins and that my diagnose is "pure" DCIS. It is heart breaking to read some of these posts. Don't get me wrong though; it's also informative and encouraging, and for that I'm also grateful. 

• Unknown
    edited October 2014
    Options

hi everyone,,,, just catching up on some posts,,,, Fourminor,,,,, that was THE hardest decision, and yes, you are right,, we have little knowledge about these surgeries and Cancer, but you have to make the right one for you,,,,no-one can make that decision,,, I went with Uni, and my Breast surgeon originally had me for both and that was not what I wanted. I felt pretty secure in my decision as mine was microcalcifications fueled by estrogen, I stopped the hormone replacement immediately and with the PETSCAN they did not detect any Cancer anywhere else. I also wanted a Breast I still had feeling in.when they did the lift on the natural side they did biopsy of the Breast and it was negative,,I am happy with MY decision and I am going to try not to worry about Cancer returning in the native Breast. That is the best I can hope for. You are right about looking in the mirror and seeing both gone, for me it is hard enough with one gone. It is an emotional decision that only YOU can make, do not let anyone talk you into something you're not comfortable with. Good luck with whatever you decide😉💐 if my Cancer returns then I will deal with it then..I am pretty confident with taking my meds and my PS that for me I did the right thing,,, I am almost done with reconstruction, I have upcoming surgery on Tuesday for a revision on my MX side. I wish we didn't have to choose, but we are all doing the best we can and you will too,,,,, Healing hugz to all,,,,,'J

• Unknown
    edited October 2014
    Options

something to ask your DR, my Gyn gave me NEW drug for hot flashes,, NO HORMONES, NO ESTROGENS, it is called "Brisdelle"   just saw on box under that name is also,,, Paroxetine,,, I have not decided if I am going to take it yet or not, since going off my HRT almost a year ago I have some hot flashes but nowhere near at all the first 7 months,,,, ,,, seems like it is more under control and dang sure I don't want to take any more meds,,,,,just a thought ,,,sharing,,,,, healing hugz,,,,J

• Frostecat
    edited October 2014
    Options

four minor - I just got off the phone with my DH (who is out of town) and my words were "I was worthless today, I wanted to clean but I'm still in pain.  On the mastectomy side I feel like the implant weighs 50 pounds and the flap underneath always hurts me, I know it is healing but it still hurts, and it hurts deep inside.  On the lifted side, the scar is still raw under the breast and oozing, the nipple scar still hurts and where they lipoed under my armpit that hurts".  So different kind of hurts for different things.

I have posted this before, but please don't let my thoughts sway yours.  All of our situations, sizes etc. are different, so that can affect your choices too.  I was larger chested 42D and at the time if I had been told that I would have had to gone for 6 months being completely lopsided and having to conceal it, especially in the summer months, then face another surgery on the natural breast and included moving my nipple, scars, fat grafting and lipo along with another 4-6 weeks of being off work, not being symmetrical, my ps said they never will be, my natural breast will fall again over time the mx breast won't, and to face mammos and likely mri's (I HATED that) that I may have made the decision to go with the BMX.  

Like Jeanie has said, we made the best decision we could at the time with the information we had.  Plus my BS and MO both told me there was no medical reason to have the BMX, so I listened to them.

But I'm sure there are others on these forums who chose BMX and had infections and difficulties with their non-cancer side who may have wished they chose differently too.

Like you and I too have said, they give you your options and quite frankly they all suck!

• Sparkle2014
    Sparkle2014 Member Posts: 83
    edited October 2014
    Options

Wow, you gals all have such unique stories, thank you for sharing more details.  I hope Frostecat you will try to rest - yes over doing it - with cleaing, shopping, bra shopping, vacuuming too soon and carrying groceries and doing laundry all are No No's but i did all those too early after MX and almost 4 months later my rotator cuff on right and entire shoulder joint and right arm KILL,,,  (I had a frozen rt shoulder years ago and never had it surgically fixed - now shoulder surgery would be totally out of question - but yes I tore it - i know I had to as this pain is like what I had in 2006-2008,,,,  so I now know with my swap surgery - I have to be really good about letting people help me.  i may even need to take the valium

after reading your stories, I may need the valium tonight as now I am scared of my surgery - you know what i fear, the germs in hospital and the risk of two sides healing (lift and implant side) and having to allow both to heal same time and know that my shoulder is torn too....  i am PMSing - and last night couldn't sleep as lots on my mind and now feel like - everyone said this 2nd surgery is easy but it really isn't! 

and the 4 hours under - the anesthisia - oh gosh, it really does a number on you and the gases apparently can cause extra pain in shoulders,,,  ??  not sure why - somewhere I read that.  maybe I am remembering incorrectly.

so thank you all for the honesty - i have my pre-op appt in few weeks - the last fill has been killing me too - I am overfilled so the skin has enough to put in the implant. 

and my native left side, was a smidgen smaller always - so he did mention maybe adding in small implant or something to help the symetry - I guess I should say yes, let's try to get the symetry as best as possible this surgery as I do not wish to go through any of this again - it is so emotional - really!!!  unless you have had this diagnosis and surgeries, no one you speak to who hasn't would ever GET IT. all the October PINK stuff is great for awareness yet the awareness of what we all have to go through and how difficult the healing and pain is - no one knows unless they are close to someone like us... 

i have only just returned to my job 2 weeks now PT - they are so nice in working with me and know I will be out again - I should just tell them looks like this surgery Nov 18th is going to put meout again another 6-8 weeks just to let them know even though shorter surgery - both sides going to be operated on and my job is all answering phones and taking orders and typing and click click clicking non stop - allowed to get up to go to ladies room for few mins FAST and get back to phones...  so I don't want to over promise saying I will be back Dec 15th,,,,  right before mad end year rush -

wow - i know I need to know what to expect but I wasn't expecting to hear all this - kinda scary!  all surgery is scary - esp after Joan Rivers routine surgery,,  g night ladies

• lala1
    lala1 Member Posts: 974
    edited October 2014
    Options

jeaniebeanie---my gyn who wants to do my hysterectomy said if I had hot flash issues afterwards, he'd probably put me on Brisdelle. But I saw an insert for it and it said if you are on Tamoxifen, you shouldn't take it. He knows I'm on Tamoxifen so....what?! I don't know if it's the same with AIs.  I'm scared to take anything with this tamoxifen. Heck I just found out that my OneADay multis were making me dizzy and nauseous. Now that I've quit that and feel so much better, I'm going to be very careful about ANYTHING I take, especially while on Tamoxifen.

• Frostecat
    edited October 2014
    Options

After being off Tamoxifen 2 weeks prior and 2 weeks after my surgery, when I went back on it  - whew.  I was spinning and thinking I was going to pass out.  I never had that the first go around, but maybe I'm a little more weak right now? I had a few hard first days of being dizzy, even still a little today, after going back on it this past Monday.  It is some potent stuff.  Had some leg cramping today while riding in the car, like I did the first go around.  Haven't had the hot flashes yet, but I'm sure they are soon to follow.

• Fourminor
    edited October 2014
    Options

i gotta tell you Frostecat, I'm thinking about you because I am a 32 DD and due to the fact I have already had radiation to my left side, PS said he probably won't be able to go any larger than a C.  When I mentioned having reduction/lift to match he did say something about that possibly complicating a right mastectomy in the future if I need one.  Now I'm thinking, crap I prob will be having bilateral surgery anyway.

But what's really messing me up is that this is a new primary.

I think this choice really is the hardest thing at this stage, because I had started to sleep better once I made it and now here I am awake at 2am.  My surgery is in 3 days so changing my mind this late in the game is soon to be an irreversible decision.

Of course its not what i want.  What I want is to not have this at all.  What i want is not to chop pieces of my body off.  Pieces that I really love.  

But as my husband was crying in my arms yesterday about his fear of losing me and having our son lose me I did start to think, do I really ever want to deal with this crap again?  Because if I made two breast cancers by the age of 47, (or in the words of my PS, i was already struck by lightning twice), maybe I'm underestimating this.  

What really upset me was seeing, in staff areas as I walked through pre surgical testing, flyers of women that were clearly for memorial services with pictures of young faces.

I hate this disease.  It just sucks.  It boils down to crappy options again:  Which is worse, waking up with no breasts, with a 100 percent probability or someday finding out I have a third primary with a five percent probability?  There's a crappy one, where both are horrible.  And of course I still do not know for sure whether i will be doing chemo for this one.  So the horrible quotient could be ratcheted up.  My normal optimistic self really is like a quivering mess on the floor right now and I'm not surprised people come out of this with post traumatic stress syndrome.

• Frostecat
    edited October 2014
    Options

Fourminor - Please, please don't let my thoughts sway yours.  You asked me, and I was being as honest as I could be with you for MY situation.  But, I am only one person on here amongst thousands.  Who would think for the the same disease we all have so many different thoughts, choices, procedures, outcomes, complications, results.  

I will say one other thing someone pointed out to me was if the cancer was to come back, wouldn't it be better if there were a breast for it to come back to versus another part of your body?  I honestly don't know if that is an uninformed or ignorant statement, either way it did make me think.

As I said, you are absolutely going through the toughest part of this journey right now.  Once you have made your decision that you are going to stick with, I think you will feel much better.  There are a few threads on here Unilateral vs. Bilateral and some thoughts regarding the pros and cons of each, and different women's experiences with each.  If I could find the link I would paste it here, but I have zero luck cutting and pasting.

The pressure of making a lifelong decision in a short period of time is agonizing.  Just remember you WILL get through this, and "this too shall pass".  

• Frostecat
    edited October 2014
    Options

Sparkle - well at least you are on the other side of the mountain now. At least that is what I call it.  The really tough part is over, and the next part is about making everything right.  Yes, the second surgery is scary, but I gotta say the first surgery I wanted NOTHING to do with it.  I really couldn't understand why I had to go into a surgery for them to lop off a part of my body when I felt perfectly fine.  It just didn't make sense to me, and I had a hard time wrapping my head around it.  I mean don't you normally have surgery because you can't deal with pain or something anymore and you want it to go away and to feel better?  

The second surgery I was very anxious, and nervous, but was also glad to get moving forward with my life and face the "new normal".

• Fourminor
    edited October 2014
    Options

No don't worry, Frostecat, I am clear on making this decision for myself.  If anyone messed me up it was my surgeon, whom luckily i love since I've been seeing her for 6 years now, writing the wrong consent.  She admitted that so many women want bilateral that she just had a brain fart.  But it exposed how unsure I still was.   I am a triple Libra (sun, moon, rising) which puts me at a real disadvantage right now as I will turn a situation around so much I get dizzy and fall over.  

I need my sense of humor back!  

• Frostecat
    edited October 2014
    Options

Whew - I wouldn't want my humble opinion to sway anyone on that important of a decision!  I suppose the surgeon thing felt like some type of karma to you, but then again, it was probably just an honest mistake :-)

• Sparkle2014
    Sparkle2014 Member Posts: 83
    edited October 2014
    Options

I have heard from my Breast Surgeon, my consult with a Radiation Oncologist and my Plastic Surgeon who actually was in the Navy Medical unit and first a general surgeon/hand surgeon,,, that my decision to remove just the side with the suspicious cells and the Inv Ductal Carcinoma tumors (1.1 cm total) - grade 1 stage 1,,, that considering my left side - which has been monitored for 7 years - and never once had any suspicious findings on left - that my decision to TREAT the side with the cancer and to leave my native breast was WISE - they all felt that way too many women panic and jump the gun and say remove both - which yes can result in more symetrical breasts BUT then the whole breast/chest area is NUMB and many women don't realize what it feels like to feel numb in your breasts,,,  and I agree, if you have your native breast - at least maybe if there were to be a cancer recurrence - it would appear there in the side you keep vs making a home for itslef elsewhere (although I do not know if that is how the cancer cells operate - no clue how they decide where to plant themselves)

and yes, the unilateral process is a bit harder in that matching, lifting and going for symetry is not always totally possible - takes a lot of thought to decide what to do and each person's decision I respect.  try to gather a lot of info and mull over pros/cons,,,  i also feel it is really important for anyone looking at having lumpectomy and radiation as Breast Conserving treatment - if you are younger in age - say 40's/early 50's - give that a LOT of thought vs going for the total Mastectomy - as once skin is radiated - it really is difficult to get Plastic Surgery and implant should you ever have recurrence and need a Mastectomy next years later - not always brought up by DRs - but worth exploring - and obtaining clear margins with Lumpectomy also is a bit more difficult depending on breast size, location tumor(s), or clusters, and some DRs push the Lumpectomy/Radiation route as that route actually makes more $$$$  more all the DRs, hospitals and a Mastectomy and reconstruction winds up a bit less costly on insurance side of the equation - just food for thought... 

and I know a women - my c9ounselor actually - she had IDC at 42, on right side - her route was lumpectomy and maybe radiation - this was over 30 yrs ago now - and told to take Tamoxifen - she opted to not take it - she did have a recurrence 18 yrs later on right - so then had Mastectomy when she was 60 yrs old - and reconstruction - she was told to take AIs and refused to - but her left side never had any issues - she is now 74!!!  healthy, fit, active, working, fun, pretty and alive!  I am very inspired by her,,,  I too fear taking any pills and feel - hey surgery alone - removing the cancer and not having sign in lymph node - that sort of could be all you need to do and the pills maybe just extra caution,,,  but that is my own personal view...

ok well just my two cents - good luck!

• Fourminor
    edited October 2014
    Options

Thanks everyone for your sharing your thoughts and feelings.  My BS told me to call her and I think that so many women now want bilateral where the data is it is not medically warranted that she at first went over the very logical thought process I initially went down when I landed on the uni.   And I said, I get all that but the thought that really started unnerving me was, here I am 47, still premenopausal, now with a second primary.   And so far, the two I have had were relatively "friendly", non invasive DCIS, and ER+/Her2- tumors.  What happens if that third one I could get in the next 30 years is not?  What if its an aggressive cell type, where its not so simple to resect it and be done with it?  I have a little boy and I want to be there for him.

Then she admitted that the real problem is no one knows what the real recurrence rate is for a young woman who had lump/RT, and has a  premenopausal recurrence or second primary--what is her real lifetime risk?  Not enough data or no one has collected it, to know.  Maybe its not 5%.  Maybe its 10%.  Still, she said, even with a 10% lifetime chance of recurrence, those aggressive types are less common so maybe its a 1% chance.  But she said, if that's your reason for doing bilateral it is sound.

She said, but the thing that you have to be OK with is that its also not impossible to have problems with the prophylactic side.  You have to be OK with the possibility, however also unlikely, of an infection on that side, or an issue that delays reconstruction.   And we're discussing all of this assuming your nodes will be clean, but its not ruled out that you will be looking at chemo while all of this is going on. So you really have to be  sure.

And there I went back to feeling like I should just deal with the breast cancer I have and not worry about the one I could get until I get through to the other side of this.   So I'm staying on the uni board.  

Surgery in 2 days.   I am putting this decision out of my mind now.

• Fourminor
    edited October 2014
    Options

BTW Sparkle, I have thought about what you said.  That no one tells you when you do RT that if you have a recurrence it could affect reconstruction.  Well, maybe someone mentioned it but in all the panic of first diagnosis I didn't hear it.  But I'm pretty sure no one said it.

The problem is I think, for me at least was that i was so shocked with my first diagnosis--my baseline mammogram!-- and the statistics of course show you that your risk of recurrence is low--particularly if you do the radiation, that I was not ready to remove my breast at that point.  Even if I heard that, it probably would not have changed my mind.  I had no family history.

However, my optimism having finished that treatment is the casualty of this diagnosis.  I now wonder if I underestimate risk.  Maybe I should be more paranoid.  I think that's what made this decision so hard, because I feel like I can't trust my instincts, because if I had been more paranoid, maybe I would have had a mastectomy 7 years ago and I wouldn't be here now.  

I just pray that in 10 years I'm not looking back saying, if I was more paranoid I would have gone bilateral and I wouldn't be here now...

That's why this was so tough for me.  But F U cancer, I'm staying optimistic.

• chipmunk57
    chipmunk57 Member Posts: 28
    edited October 2014
    Options

Fourminor, thinking of you today.

• Frostecat
    edited October 2014
    Options

Fourminor - I am so glad that you have come to a decision, and you do seem at peace with it so I hope you are starting to feel somewhat a weight being lifted off your shoulders.

Regarding a lumpectomy versus mastectomy, when I was first diagnosed I was hoping and praying I could have a lumpectomy.  I thought easier surgery, less deformity, less time from work, less of it affecting my life.  Wasn't thrilled at all about doing radiation, but again, out of all the options that sucked, that seemed to be the lesser of the evils for me.  Fast forward, I was not able to have a lumpectomy due to being multi-focal, my only choice was mastectomy.

Well after meeting with my PS, he gave me my options, and he remained neutral feeling it is MY decision which path I chose (BMX or UMX).  I will say though that when I told him I was really hoping for a lumpectomy, since he knew I couldn't have one, he said to me that has a real downside to it because if cancer comes back that skin is very difficult to work with after being radiated from a reconstruction stand point.  I definitely got the impression he was not a fan of lumpectomy/radiation but then from his perspective he is the plastic surgeon and is the one who has to work with it.  None the less, it gave me somewhat a little reason to be glad with choosing sucky route #2.

The breast that had the cancer, I have been called back for years on my mammograms, same spot that they zeroed in on for about 10 years.  I guess this was the magic year they decided it was cancer.  My natural breast, never once a call back on that side, and after many tests, they said it appeared perfectly clear.  I hope it stays that way!

There is one thing to consider, even with having a BMX the cancer can still come back, it is unlikely, but it is possible as there is always some breast tissue left.

• Fourminor
    edited October 2014
    Options

I actually came out OK with the lump and RT, although I had to lie to my radiation oncologist about what I was using on my skin because she told me not to use it.  The stuff they did give me to use had parabens in it and I said I would not put something on me that for all I know caused my breast cancer and they looked at me like i was a kook.  But when i was younger I was the skin product queen and always used moisturizers with scents and chemical shit--and back then my breasts used to be like water balloons with my cycle, which stopped happening when i started only using food grade ingredient skin care products, so I def think the cosmetics industry shares some of the blame which cannot be pink washed.  Anyway I used something with calendula and avocado and olive oil and it was called Theresa's something or other.  I used that and then a heavy calendula ointment. She told me the oils would amplify the RT and cause a worse burn. So I just applied it after therapy every day.  And at the end they said they were amazed at how well my skin held up.  At worst it was pink.  And even this PS he looked at me and said, you did really well, where is your scar?  You have to look very hard to notice the RT.    So maybe I will do OK.  I also exhaled and held my breath out when the beam went on because I was so afraid of the cardiac and pulmonary toxicity, and that may have spared my pectorals a bit too.  No one told me to do that either.

All in all i had counted myself lucky that i had escaped with just a slightly smaller (though no more than the other side was smaller before) boob with the faintest possible discoloration you can imagine.  It isn't hard either.  So maybe I will be OK with the TE.

Tomorrow is sentinel node map.  

• Frostecat
    edited October 2014
    Options

That is great to hear Fourminor, sounds like you were being really diligent during rads and the outcome was good for you.

• Flannery
    Flannery Member Posts: 25
    edited October 2014
    Options

Fourminor,

I am thinking of you during this difficult period - all of us with unilateral disease go through the same sucky decision-making process in which each option seems worse than the next. And the fact that you have to make the decision before you even know your final pathology is like the ultimate cosmic joke. Like you, I am 47 years old and the cancer diagnosis came as a big shock following routine mammography. In order to get the surgeons I wanted, I had to wait about 5 weeks between diagnosis and surgery - at first this delay really stressed me out but now I am very glad to have had the extra time as it allowed me time to ride through the initial emotional crisis, regain some rational thought, and decide what was truly best for me. The first few days following diagnosis, when I was in full-on panic/fear mode, I assumed that I would choose bilateral mastectomy. However, as time passed, the fear ebbed just a bit, and I did a lot more research, I realized that I simply did not want to remove my healthy breast for a whole slew of reasons: reduced time under anesthesia; reduced risk of surgical complications; having one good arm to use during recovery; reduced risk of reconstruction complications and post-mastecomy pain or dysfunction; risk of lymphedema in only one arm; preservation of sensation in the healthy breast; and of course the fact that the chance of developing another primary cancer in the contralateral breast is really just not all that high (assuming no BRCA, strong family history, yadda yadda). Of course this is the biggest monster in the closet, and the gamble every woman with a unilateral mastectomy makes - and we have all heard the stories of women who rolled those dice and lost. My med onc tells me that my risk of developing another primary cancer in the contralateral breast is about 11%, and maybe 6% if I take tamoxifen (which I haven't decided on yet but suspect I will not take - a 5% drop in risk seems a weak payoff for the side effects). So this is about the same as any woman's lifetime risk of breast cancer (12%), yet we don't see anyone advocating prophylactic BMX and tamoxifen for all women to manage this unacceptable risk! As time went on during my pre-surgical month of waiting I simply realized that BMX just wasn't for me, and unlike many I had no concerns about this supposed inability to achieve symmetry in reconstruction. Even a quick scan of the internet shows that competent plastic surgeons can and often do achieve near-perfect symmetry in unilateral reconstructions if this is a high priority for the patient, particularly if the woman is willing to tweak the natural breast a bit. That same scan of the internet will show that many women who undergo BMX end up with a decided LACK of symmetry, especially if they experience surgical complications, so I tend to worry about women who place great emphasis on this point in their decision-making. If you want to see photos of lots more reconstructions, both UMX and BMX, send a request to join the photo forum.

You have your own path to tread, but I wanted to share my perspective as a woman who is 100% at peace with her choice of UMX. I recommend giving yourself enough time before surgery to come to a decision you are comfortable with, and NOT rush to meet a deadline. My surgery went smoothly and my implant reconstruction is well underway; at only 3 weeks post-op my reconstructed breast looks almost identical to my native breast. It certainly doesn't FEEL like my native breast at the moment, but when I go back to work on Friday I am going to wear form-fitting clothing and hold a betting pool to see if my colleagues can tell which is the bionic boob - my guess is they will not be able to tell unless they notice a difference in how I use the arm. I have all the usual post-op soreness, some nerve pain, and TE discomfort, but at least I only have it on one side of my body. Who knows what the bionic boob will end up looking like - you're welcome to watch the process unfold on the photo forum if you like.

Of course there will always be some anxiety about health of the other breast - I consider it to be on probation and I probably wouldn't give it more than one chance to misbehave. If I find that my feelings change and I become more fearful of cancer in the contralateral breast over time, I can always elect to have another mastectomy at that time - that door is always open. In the meantime, I will simply hope for the best and live as well and fully as I can. Even if I were to be diagnosed with a primary in the contralateral breast, that second diagnosis could NEVER have the same devastating psychological and emotional impact of the first one, so I think I would be able to take it in stride more easily. Fingers crossed that neither of us will ever have to do so!

• Frostecat
    edited October 2014
    Options

Flannery - that is a great post!

• Unknown
    edited October 2014
    Options

way to go Flannery!!!!!,, You have described how I feel about mu Uni.... to a Tee!!!!!!,, I wont EVER be as shocked as i was after my routine Mammo, when I heard the words You Have Breast Cancer!!!!!,, if it so happens to occor in my native breast that i saved, i will challenge it then but will be much more educated and less in schock,,,, I will be having surgery in the morning to "tweak"@my foob side.... I am very Happy with my decision and no-one can make that for any of us.....and like you said,, with clothes on no=one can tell a thing.... healing hugz to all of us warriors ,,,,,, J

• Fourminor
    edited October 2014
    Options

Flannery, thank you so much for sharing that with me.  You echoed my whole thought process when I chose unilateral.  I think I was just having a George Costanza moment where I was feeling like maybe I should choose the OPPOSITE of what I would normally choose and things would turn out better.  

No, I'm going uni.  I said it to my surgeon.  I don't WANT to take off my good breast.  I just do not want to have this a god damn third time!!  If I want, maybe I will remove it in the future.  Or maybe I'll just sit tight and watch it like a hawk.  We will probably add annual MRI in now and try to stagger it so i'm getting something every 6 months.

Now I really need to get through it so i can go on with my life.  I'm about 6 weeks out from diagnosis, and I also think the time was actually helpful because I really got to process the information and accept it.

Also, another thing I thought about is in 10 years, who knows what the therapy might be?  I read something about someone working on doing cryotherapy on the tumor (freezing it to death inside of you) so that your own immune system will recognize the dead cancer cells as foreign material and thus protect you going forward.

By the way Flannery, taking a recurrence risk of 11-12% down to 5 % is a 50 percent reduction in recurrence.  I'm not thrilled with taking Tamoxifen either, but I'm willing to deal with it about it if I can escape chemo.  That's what I mean about crappy options.

Does anyone know how long it takes for them to acknowledge your request for the photo thread?  I PM'd owner a couple of weeks ago and have not heard anything.

You ladies rock.  It really makes a huge difference to feel like you are not alone in this, even though I wish it never happened to a single soul.

• Frostecat
    edited October 2014
    Options

Fourminor - you did make an excellent point about who knows what the future holds.  That thought definitely crossed my mind through this whole process too.  

The photo thread didn't take that long for approval for me, I think it was a couple of days.  I did read somewhere else that it took awhile for others.  You might want to try messaging them again.

• Unknown
    edited October 2014
    Options

it didnt take that long for them to approve me, about a week..... wish me luck,,, headed to my surgery shortly, arrival time at 11;30Am........somwhow i am more nervous with this one,, maybe cause last one was in july,,, and it seems so far away ,,,kinda scared,,,, but i wll put my big girl panties on and "Scuba Steve" sunglasses and know in my heart that I am one step closer to being finished,,,,, healing hugz to all;;;;;;;;;;;;J

• Frostecat
    edited October 2014
    Options

Good luck Jeanie!  Will be thinking of you today - let us know how everything goes - you are almost done with this journey!

• Fourminor
    edited October 2014
    Options

Good Luck!  You're going to do fine!