Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Picture This!!

Options

Comments

• socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184
    Options

but this is from my front yard

• meow13
    meow13 Member Posts: 1,363
    Options

How beautiful I haven"t seen many butterflies this year and I have tons of petunias and flowers.

• lyzzysmom
    lyzzysmom Member Posts: 285
    Options

Beautiful set of moonshots and phases Lisa. I took one of the super moon in July and put it in another thread but I got lots of bug bites so I stayed indoors for the August one. I like looking at the moon through my telescope too but it is so heavy and I never set it up this year, too much yucky stuff going on but will do it again!!

• gardengumby
    gardengumby Member Posts: 4,860
    Options

Tree peony at our old house

• gardengumby
    Options

Sunset from the deck at our old house

• socallisa
    Options

I have never seen a tree peony before. The flowers are amazing. 

• socallisa
    Options

The moon shots were of a lunar eclipse. All taken within a short period of time. 

• gardengumby
    Options

I love tree peonies.  I want to plant one at this house, too, but not until I get my garden in better shape.  The flowers are huge and the smell is heavenly.  Very short life, though.  They bloom in May and because of their huge size the rain up here usually destroys them pretty quickly.  This would have been a great year for them as it was such a pleasant spring.

Those moon shots were amazing.

• socallisa
    Options

Lake Louise. I have to say that this vista is one of the top five I have ever seen. 

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    Options

Winter, your neighbourhood does look like the quintessential English street we all expect to see "over the pond"!

• birdlady222
    birdlady222 Member Posts: 185
    Options

This little guy, his mom, and sibling were in my yard yesterday morning.  They are so cute and playful. 

• socallisa
    Options

love those little deer...

kayb...you were so lucky to have lived so close to the zoo. As you know it is right across the street from the Navy Hospital where I go so my treat is to zip over to the zoo afterwards just to see one or two things if there is a parking place closeby...I have a bridge camera..one between a point and shoot and one with many lenses..I only have one, a 50X optical zoom. I had all those lenses with my old 35 mm and decided I didn't want to do that all over again.So I have a Canon SX50HS. 

Our zoo is having fun with the pandas and a new exhibit for koalas..

• lyzzysmom
    Options

Birdlady, He is so adorable. Wonderful shot. 

Kaybe, I just bought a Sony Alpha 77 mk 11 and a couple of decent lenses as I started a professional photography course just before the pesky BC Dx.So looking forward to getting on with the course, so much to learn.  I have just upgraded it from my Sony alpha 35. Both cameras can use the same lenses. The only problem with Sonys is that they are a bit noisy in lower light and you have to be super careful changing lenses and never get any dirt inside otherwise it can be VERY difficult to clean compared to Canon etc. The Pro is that they are superfast if you want to just let em rip and take action shots. The  77 will do 12 fps. but I have not used it much yet

I love my little FUJIFILM FinePix F750EXR. Its pocket sized and I have dropped it on hard ground twice and it complained a bit but then recovered. I know some people that take fabulous photos with Canon Powershots. There are so many great cameras around now.

This covered bridge was on the way up to Vermont. I took it from a moving car with the A35 (got to be quick with DH driving). I love covered bridges but this was the only one I got a chance to take. The moon was me trying out the A77m2 with a Tamron Zoom lens and the Dragonfly with the Fuji.

• lyzzysmom
    Options

Oh!!! Pandas and Koalas!! Fabulous. I got to make a trip to the zoo soon. Have not been since last year. Took this little fellow below in the front yard. We get very few colorful butterflies in the yard now...

• gardengumby
    Options

Kayb - I have two cameras, a little Pentax Optio that I've had for about 10 years, but it fits in my purse so is handy.  The other is a Nikon D5200 that my hubby and I bought to celebrate my retirement last year.  I'm planning on taking a photography class because I've got SO much to learn.  The one thing I have learned the most is that if you don't have a camera with you, you can't take pictures....  :) 

Mt Rainier and clouds taken a few years ago
  • gardengumby
    Options

Sunset from our old house
  • gmafoley
    gmafoley Member Posts: 5,978
    Options

Beautiful GG! Looks like you have just as great a view as me. Happy

• socallisa
    Options

GG that shot of the mountain was a beauty...did you print it up?

lyz, camera is good up close and personal and at a distance..good ones...

this guy is one of my favs at the zoo...

• lyzzysmom
    Options

Beautiful lighting on those clouds and mountains GG and I love the sunset. The view outside my back yard is Zero unless you climb through the bushes to snap passing trains LOL. My class gives you up to 3 years to complete and they send you all sorts of learning materials .Its really interesting but I have barely scratched the surface yet. Plan to retire early next month to reduce stress and hope to spend time learning more.

Lisa,I don't know what he is but  I love him,! That head on shot is priceless, one for NatGeo!  It begs the question, what was he thinking, maybe "I'm ready for my Closeup"

• socallisa
    Options

or how about "YIKES"

He is a secretary bird.

• Marple
    Marple Member Posts: 10,154
    Options

I'm thinking he's thinking, "what are YOU looking at"?

• birdlady222
    Options

Lisa, when I was a little girl, my grandparents lived very close to the SD Zoo.  That was a wonderful place, and we spent many hours there.  At the time they had a HUGE walk in aviary that you could interact with the free flying birds.  That was where I learned to love and respect birds.  Is it still there?  I live in a very small town now.  The zoo is over an hour away, but after our recent trip, I'm sure hubby and I will be going back frequently.  We really want to see it in the fall with the change of colors.  If I lived where you are I would be at the zoo all of the time.

GG, your pics are gorgeous!  What a beautiful place you live in.

Izzysmom,  love the covered bridge.  I have never seen one....only pictures.

Barbe, Axiom, you both have such great shots!

Are any of you professional photographers?  I'm just posting some favorites, but they look like snapshots compared to all of you.

This is my new favorite thread!  I took a photo class at the local vo-tech before my BC dx, and was just starting to learn to use different settings.  This has given me inspiration to get out there and enjoy the world again.

Keep posting, girls!

Hugs, Birdlady

• socallisa
    Options

kay that rose garden is still there and I spend time there as well. 

I was almost house bound for about two years during and following treatment. I spent time, when I could, learning the computer,  digital photography and genealogy.

• socallisa
    Options

oh, birdlady.yes the exhibit is still there. 

And they have a hummingbird enclosure as well. I love to sit there. 

• socallisa
    Options

I bet. Glad you have memories like that. 💗

• birdlady222
    Options

Wow!  Lisa that Hummingbird is the prettiest I have ever seen!  I am so glad the aviary exhibit is still there.  I have been pretty much housebound for a year.  Spent 9 weeks in the hospital.  I am just starting to get out little at a time now.  I plan to have my camera with me a lot more, and study digital photography so I can attempt great photos like yours. :-)

• lyzzysmom
    Options

Birdlady, that is a great shot of the lion. Its a beautiful capture of his face!! Lisa I love your bird photos too.

Now this has got me rummaging through old pile of SD cards. I found geese at the local lake as sun was setting and one I took in late fall a couple of years back nearly now. They are SouthEast  MA

• Ariom
    Ariom Member Posts: 4,027
    Options

Thank you ladies, for these amazing shots! A surprise to see Koalas from the US!

Keep them coming, a really interesting thread!.

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    Options

I've tried a course, but wanted to learn about my specific camera, not how to compose a shot! I did learn about depth-of-field though and use that a lot. Otherwise I go on instinct, which I think most of us do. If I like the picture, probably someone else will. I tried joining a photo club here, but people didn't understand the monthly challenges, like; texture, winter, etc. They took things too literally and took what I call "documentary shots", just basically a point-and-shoot composition. I believe a part of us has to be an artist to get the composition right. I use a NIKON D80 as my film camera was a NIKON so I was familiar to some of the features. I haven't even begun to get into the options, so I have no intention of buying another. (Made me sad to think of hummingbirds in captivity....)

The best thing I learned, my sister taught me: shoot the nose hairs, not the nose! Everyone knows what a nose looks like, so take a different perspective!! These below are raw photos, I would crop them (and have) before framing. I find the best way to get a close-up is to stay back and zoom in. Then it can be cropped when you want to print it, or even zoomed in more. Remember, these are the originals....

• gardengumby
    Options

Lovely flowers, Barbe.  I like that idea - shoot the nosehairs - gonna remember that!!

GMA - no more beautiful scenery from my house.  We sold that house about a year and a half ago, now live in the suburbs in a development.  It's a vast change for us, and I'm definitely not used to it yet (may never be).  But the old house was too big with too much upkeep and too much property.  If you've ever tried to keep up landscaping on a steep slope - well, just don't.  It's too dang difficult once you're past 60.  I do miss the views, though - but nothing else.

Lisa, I have not had any pictures printed.  I guess I should, as it would be a lot of fun to have some of our own shots on the walls.