Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Picture This!!

Options

Comments

• socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184
    Options

OK Barbe, I shot in RAW and didn't crop..then I had to convert? to jpeg?

If I didn't it said the file was too big..

• socallisa
    Options

I am a complete newbie about RAW.

• gmafoley
    gmafoley Member Posts: 5,978
    Options

Great little trick Barbe! - you have a great teacher to show you about shooting the nose-hairs.. I'm going to have to try that. My daughter is the photographer in our family. Being I take alot of sunset/sunrise pictures she told me about having 1/4 ground to 3/4 sky to get the colors of the sunsets. BTW I am amateur with a point and shoot camera.. I used to have to take close-ups of artifacts when I was an archaeologist, but in the field a big camera was too cumbersome to pack in with all the gear. 

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    Options

Lisa, you were the only one thought might take me literally, but I didn't mean RAW in the camera setting sense. I just meant no cropping, tweaking or otherwise adjusting!

There's an expression in sales: Sell the sizzle, not the steak!

It means we don't have to hear about how the cow was slaughtered, but like to hear that it was prepared over mesquite chips on an open flame after marinating overnight in a deep burgundy red wine spiced with cardamom and rosemary and gently rested before being brought to your table with garlic mashed potatoes.... get it?

So I just needed to learn to put that into photography and my sister succinctly described it for me!

• socallisa
    Options

OH, I thought you meant RAW not jpeg..

• socallisa
    Options

but sometimes we actually need to know what something looks like in toto

• barbe1958
    Options

I've never shot in RAW because, as you say, the files are just too big. Wouldn't know what to do with it anyway. With programs now being able to manipulate any picture, I can't see the need for RAW if we're not professionals.

• socallisa
    Options

,my brother is the one who is bugging me, but I resist

• socallisa
    Options

• gardengumby
    gardengumby Member Posts: 4,860
    Options

Did you shoot that flamingo at the SD Zoo?  It's so lovely.  I've never used RAW.

• socallisa
    Options

He or she was at the San Diego zoo. GG that wasn't in RAW..I just tried it that one time. 

• birdlady222
    birdlady222 Member Posts: 185
    Options

RAW allows you to do some amazing edits to your photos using photo editing software such as Lightroom or Photoshop(or bunches of others!)  Some of this software is available for free.  I haven't personally used it, but have a friend who takes some average looking shots and converts them into  something you would want to hang on the wall. 

• socallisa
    Options

Can you hear me now? 

• lyzzysmom
    lyzzysmom Member Posts: 285
    Options

Lisa, the Flamingo is beautiful. I love photos that show the faces of animals and birds. I have a feeder hanging at my bedroom window and there have been some goldfinches there the last couple of days but I can't take photos as the birds made such a greasy mess with suet on the glass I can't get a good shot unless I get everything cleaned up!!

I tried  just a few pics in raw just to see whats available and it allows a lot more adjustments  but as Barb said the files are huge. I think it would be best for large prints with fine detail. 

This pic was not raw. I was on vacation in Rutland, VT and one of the other guests had been on a BC walk with her dogs, hence the fur extension and little vests. I bumped into her at the farmers market and she had both her babies in their buggy!!

• lyzzysmom
    lyzzysmom Member Posts: 285
    Options

Just saw the caption on those finches. Love it!

• socallisa
    Options

This is kind of what I like to do when I have a day anywhere..but here the zoo

I tried to show the whole life cycle of the flamingo here from egg on up..Then I print them

up put them in a sheet protector and into a three ring album. Usually I label what I do

but this one I didn't.

• ncollett
    ncollett Member Posts: 753
    Options

Taken last fall at Amish Acres in Indiana

• ncollett
    Options

Taken last fall in my back yard

• ncollett
    Options

Indy Brickyard 400 about 3 years ago.

• birdlady222
    birdlady222 Member Posts: 185
    Options

Oh, Lisa!  I love the series of flamingos!  You are so blessed to be right near the zoo, where you can take photos like that!

ncollett your fall pictures are beautiful!  Great pics of the races! 

izzysmom  the puppy pic is adorable.  I agree that close up pics of animals and birds are wonderful.  I love the expressions they get.  My camera has a digital zoom, and I have fun taking closeups of animals without being anywhere near them!  Last week at the zoo I took this pic of a tiger, and couldn't believe I could see his teeth!!

• socallisa
    Options

collett..the leaves photo is so colorful..I miss the fall but not the winter.

bird...watch out for those teeth!! wonder if he was snoring?

• barbe1958
    Options

LOVE the gourd/pumpkin shot!!!

• ncollett
    Options

Thank you everyone. I dont like winter either and am not looking forward to it. I love the tiger picture!!

This was taken down the street from me earlier this spring. I didnt take it a friend of mine did I am scared to death of them but I thought it was cool.

• ncollett
    Options

Best place in the World to be Walt Disney World I love to go at Christmas time. This was taken a couple of years ago when we went.

• socallisa
    Options

aaahhh a few minutes ago. 

• socallisa
    Options

• Ariom
    Ariom Member Posts: 4,027
    Options

Loving all of these! Those waterlilies are fabulous! Your garden Lisa?

• socallisa
    Options

I wish. .saw them this morning in Balboa Park. A while ago some rioting teens trashed this pond. It has taken years for it to grow back. 

• Ariom
    Ariom Member Posts: 4,027
    Options

Just beautiful! So glad it was able to come back from being trashed.

• socallisa
    Options

That is the one Kayb..