Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Looking for Her2 Positive survivor stories

Options

Comments

• jw12
    jw12 Member Posts: 5
    edited October 2015
    Options

ThumbsUp thank you all for posting the good news!

• ahdjdbcjdjdbkf
    ahdjdbcjdjdbkf Member Posts: 188
    edited October 2015
    Options

3 years and 7 months for me. Still NED!

• Mountains1day
    Mountains1day Member Posts: 19
    edited October 2015
    Options

7 years, 10 months here. I did Herceptin for only 9 months, following the FINHER study.

• nurseronda10
    nurseronda10 Member Posts: 109
    edited October 2015
    Options

lago - I'm the one that got the delicious cookie recipe from you. Congrats on your 5 yrs also!!

• MsBrompton
    MsBrompton Member Posts: 324
    edited October 2015
    Options

New research study: being HER+ no longer means poorer chance of survival (so long as take Herceptin)

http://www.bmj.com/content/351/bmj.h4901

• giglgrl
    giglgrl Member Posts: 11
    edited October 2015
    Options

just passed my 5 years from my last treatment. Still on tamoxifen, but going strong. I was dx in 2009, did a 4 month clinical trial, double mastectomy, 6 month chemo, radiation then a year of herceptin. It was a long hull, but I am here and grateful for everyday.

• zjrosenthal
    zjrosenthal Member Posts: 1,541
    edited October 2015
    Options

Thanks for the encouragement Gigi. Glad you're doing well. I had a similar diagnosis. Love, Jean

• ahdjdbcjdjdbkf
    ahdjdbcjdjdbkf Member Posts: 188
    edited October 2015
    Options

The latest studies on HER2 survival are very good. Even for those of us with large tumors and nodal invasion, 8 year survival is around 75%.

• TheLadyGrey
    TheLadyGrey Member Posts: 68
    edited October 2015
    Options

I haven't been on the forum for a while but decided to check in and tell everyone that 4 years from diagnosis, I'm doing great.

I agonized and argued and fretted over every step of my treatment. Like the lady in the Time Magazine article I argued for watchful waiting when I got the post biopsy pathology report of DCIS, but was discouraged by two breast surgeons from taking that approach. I'm sure glad they won that argument as post surgery the pathology was IDC, part ER/PR- HER2+ and part ER/PR+ HER2-.

I argued for no chemo based on the size of the IDC and got talked out of that position by my brilliant oncologist and the promise of Penguin Cold Caps. They rock!

I've learned a lot about BC since then and I'm sure glad that cooler heads than mine prevailed.

My only complaint is that with the lack of estrogen due to Tamoxifin my skin has gotten too lazy to keep my fat in place. And I have more fat which I'm convinced is Tamoxifin fat so don't try to tell me otherwise.

The thing I want most to communicate to those of you in the midst of it is that BC will someday be just a memory instead of the thing that drives your life. I seldom think about it unless I have a backache or strange abdominal pain. I tell myself to stop being a ninny and move on.

It is so much a part of my past that I just realized I'm a year late for my yearly appointment. In my defense, we have moved but I know.....I have a call into a new oncologist.

• MsBrompton
    edited October 2015
    Options

THANK YOU TheLadyGrey! Same stage and almost same profile as me, but 4 years on. Your message means so much.

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,879
    edited October 2015
    Options

Many here have donated . Thank you !........Wandering around and cheerleading again :)

Donate today, make a difference directly in all our lives. By supporting BCO, we support each other. Thanks and Hugs :)

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/110/topic/834331?page=1

Link to the mainboard donation page

https://secure3.convio.net/bco/site/Donation2?df_i...

• barbiecorn
    barbiecorn Member Posts: 86
    edited October 2015
    Options

Is there anyone who did not do Herceptin or chemo and is still with us - I will be a four year survivor in Feb. with HER2 Positive - ER+ and PR- - I am doing alternative but did have bilateral mascectomy.

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653
    edited October 2015
    Options

Barbie my oncologist told me that my chances of not needing further treatment after surgery (chemo, Herceptin, AIs) and being alive and NED the 10 years following was 40%. So it is possible that you might not needed that treatment and your healthy lifestyle is working for you. with treatment I have an 86% chance remaining NED in the subsequent 10 years. I'm still NED after 5. My tumor was just to big to take the risk

• LindaKR
    LindaKR Member Posts: 1,304
    edited October 2015
    Options

5 yrs and 8 months post diagnosis!!!  Still NED, and seeing my oncologist next week to discuss staying on the AI for another 5. 

• zjrosenthal
    edited October 2015
    Options

Thanks Linda, very encouraging. Congratulations. Love, Jean

• lauragirl
    lauragirl Member Posts: 11
    edited November 2015
    Options

Hii can i just ask to the long term survivors! Did ull take tamoxifen after treatments ended for 5 years?

• PMR53
    PMR53 Member Posts: 185
    edited November 2015
    Options

Congrats Lago and Linda!

I see Linda was on Aromasin. Lago, did you take an AI? My MO wants to be put me on one after I finish Herceptin in December. Not looking forward to this. As I already have body aches and joint pain leftover from chemo and or Herceptin. I have had 2 estrogen + cancers in last 10 years so it's really in my best interest. 

Patty

• kimm992
    kimm992 Member Posts: 28
    edited November 2015
    Options

I love this thread!! I was recently diagnosed and have found it so helpful to keep coming back and reading all of these success stories!!

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653
    edited November 2015
    Options

PMR53 I was on Anastrozole (Arimidex) for 3.5 years then switched to Exemestane (Aromasin) due to side effects. I only took a 5 week break between the switch. So April 2016 will make 5 years on AI. My MO keeps saying she wants me to stay on for another 5 years. We will be discussing in April.

• Lizmom23
    Lizmom23 Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2015
    Options

I'm just over a year from surgery and chemo - 5 months from finishing my year of Herceptin. It was a long year, but I made it!

Liz

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,911
    edited November 2015
    Options

Lizmom-

Welcome! And thank you for sharing, congrats on your first year!

The Mods

• mmm5
    mmm5 Member Posts: 797
    edited November 2015
    Options

hi

i was dxed in 2008 coming up on 8 years. I did double Mast, 1 hear TCH and 1 year femora...i didn't do well with anti-hormonals and quit them. However I am in Menopause now.

I have not been on this site in over a year as I don't think of BC anymore. I will tell you the first 5 years I was on consistently and this site became my life line! I think the key to my survival has been getting my mind in condition..less stress, getting rid of toxic people, situations and living each day out loud.

I climbed Mount Kilimanjaro this year and it was alway on my bucket list but fear held me back. Now I go forward instead of bracing in fear. Life is beautiful. Hang in there..all of the survivors are out there and living large..I promise!

• Alice_B
    Alice_B Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2015
    Options

I don't visit this site much anymore but I know I hung on to positive stories when first diagnosed so here's mine.

I'm at 4 years since diagnosis and remain NED. In one year, when I reach 5 years, I've been told by my Oncologist, I'm out of the woods so to speak.

HER2+, Estrogen Negative, Stage IIIA, 11 positive lymph nodes

Living with the fear does get better. I can only speak for myself but by year three I was a "new normal" and no longer living in complete shock and fear.

Hang in there!

• zjrosenthal
    edited November 2015
    Options

Thanks, Alice. Very encouraging. Congradulations. Love, Jean

• pmm10414
    pmm10414 Member Posts: 4
    edited November 2015
    Options

7 year survivor

• pmm10414
    pmm10414 Member Posts: 4
    edited April 2019
    Options

no I was er pr neg. had 64 weekly herceptin, 12 taxol weekly, and 4 AC every 2 weeks. Ten year 5 monthsurvivor as of 4/19

• Blownaway
    Blownaway Member Posts: 662
    edited December 2015
    Options

Did any of you Her2 +++'s out there have to stop your Herceptin due to heart failure? I only got 7 rounds of it before the onco called off the big guns and I am wondering where this puts my future prognosis. Also was supposed to get 6 T/C infusions and they stopped me after 4. I did manage to finish the 36 rads, though. Somebody was saying (above) that Her2 can come back anywhere in the body - so why do they only check our breasts? Does this explain why my onco refused to let me ice my toes/fingers/head?

• AlaskaAngel
    AlaskaAngel Member Posts: 694
    edited December 2015
    Options

Blownaway,

Your picture looks young, and being younger raises the risk some... I was 52 at time of dx in 2002, with a 1.9 cm tumor, and never had any trastuzumab (just CAFx6 and rads and a short course of tamoxifen) and I've never recurred. I'm just one comparison out of many, but my guess is that the risk to your heart probably outweighed the risk of recurrence for you. Cardiac function also can improve after taking time out, and maybe he is trying to see if yours does or not.

A.A.

• suladog
    suladog Member Posts: 837
    edited December 2015
    Options

Blown,

My stats seem to be the same as yours. I was treated at UCSF and got 12 wks Taxol?herceptin and am having my final herceptin on Friday. Fortunately I didn't have any sort of heart issues but my MO told me that he would stop treatments if I did and he said since my tumor was only 7mm no nodal involvement he wasn't worried if I couldn't get all the way done. There was nothing said against icing at UCSF in fact they were the ones who told me about cold capping and encouraged me to use a cold cap to prevent hair loss. I never iced anything else but took L-Glutamine twice a day and no neuropathy issues. My dr who is co director of the UCSF comprehensive cancer center told me that any mets to the scalp are highly unlikely in the area of less than one percent.

As to HER2+ coming back, any of the varieties of breast cancers can return in any number of places in the body.

• MsBrompton
    edited December 2015
    Options

Blownaway I think there's an ongoing trial comparing 6 months of herceptin against 12 for early BC. See here http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/find-...

So if you've had 7, that's nearly 9. I suspect in a few years we'll all be offered 9 instead of 18.