Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Looking for Her2 Positive survivor stories

Options

Comments

• lkc
    lkc Member Posts: 180
    edited March 2016
    Options

Annaanne and Lago, a Great to see you. I re bear you both and so happy to see you are well. For the a Newbies : there are a lot of us old timers out there. Busy living our lives way way beyond this bc stuff. You will get there too. I know it may be hard to believe but this time will become a fading memory and you you regain the normalcy of your lives!

• evergreen9
    evergreen9 Member Posts: 25
    edited March 2016
    Options

I am 4 years from finishing one year of post - chemo herceptin and 5 years, three months from my surgery. My stats were not encouraging. I am pleasantly surprised to be here, given my stats which I believe show below. I exercise vigorously at least 4 times a week.

• suemed8749
    suemed8749 Member Posts: 210
    edited March 2016
    Options

Don't post much here any more, but I saw this thread and totally commiserate with all of you. I was diagnosed over 8 years ago and am doing well! Let's see - since then, I've enjoyed retirement after 36 years of teaching, two daughters' weddings, two granddaughters, a few graduations..... I keep in touch with a few others from the TCH thread, and they are also healthy and thriving. Wishing you ALL the best!

Sue

• MsBrompton
    MsBrompton Member Posts: 324
    edited March 2016
    Options

THANK YOU, old hands, just the fact that you are posting is wonderfully uplifting!

• kim40
    kim40 Member Posts: 125
    edited March 2016
    Options

I'm still here too! Diagnosed over 7 years ago - Triple positive and 14 positive nodes. I don't post much but check in now and then....I'm enjoying life!

• AliceS
    AliceS Member Posts: 74
    edited March 2016
    Options

Congratulations-so happy for you, Kim, and hope to join you one day! Keep posting. We are fortunate to live when we do with the treatments available that didn't used to be.

Life is good!! Enjoy and appreciate every day!

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653
    edited March 2016
    Options

Congrats Suemed. Good to see you!

Also big Congrats to kim40! Annaane!

• SL448
    SL448 Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2016
    Options

Will be 8 years in Oct 2016

Really thanks to Herceptin.:)

Hope I can come here every year and tell I am still NED

• AliceS
    AliceS Member Posts: 74
    edited April 2016
    Options

Thank you, Annaanna, Evergreen, and again Lkc (Linda)---your diagnosis is similar to mine and always feel better when I see your good news. Evergreen--you said you exercise vigorously. Good job. Can only help---I jog 2 miles a day--probably should do more, but hoping it keeps my immune system up.

Spring is here--enjoy!

• PMR53
    PMR53 Member Posts: 185
    edited April 2016
    Options

Yay Linda!! So happy for you ! As much as I bitched about it I am glad I had a year of it!! Herceptin is an amazing drug! I started Armidex now!

Hugs Patty

• Her2Survivor
    Her2Survivor Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2016
    Options

I was diagnosed as Her2neu positive in 2002 and went through chemotherapy with Herceptin and Taxol. I worked part-time during the entire year of treatment. I took 150mg of Ranitidine (Zantac) as a premedication before chemo and every day, It really helped with the metallic taste in my mouth and I never felt sick. I have been cancer-free for all these years. I worried about metastases for about two years or so (at every little pain) but soon realized I had to live my life and not worry. I tried to keep a positive attitude throughout and even losing my hair was a challenge to be creative and wrap my head in fabulous fabrics (I hated the wig). Keep positive. I was lucky to be at the forefront of Herceptin and much has been discovered since then.

• lago
    edited April 2016
    Options

Awesome Her2Survivor!

• LindaKR
    LindaKR Member Posts: 1,304
    edited April 2016
    Options

Wow - thanks for all the stories.

edwsmom I had surgery before chemo, so don't know either. Winking

• stlcardsfan
    stlcardsfan Member Posts: 227
    edited April 2016
    Options

I have not been on the forum for quite some time, but am also a HER2 survivor. 5 years and counting and all is good!

• lago
    edited April 2016
    Options

Awesome stlcardsfan We'll be both posting about 10 years before we know it.

But you are actually a 6+ year survivor not 5. I was diagnosed 7 months after you and coming up on 6 years since diagnosis and will be 6 years NED Aug. 31st.

• Eleanora23
    Eleanora23 Member Posts: 39
    edited April 2016
    Options

The responses on this thread are very precious to us newbies, you can be sure. Thanks to all of you for your posts. I tend to scour through the details of your profiles, i.e. treatments you have had, as I will see coming up soon what two oncologist propose in my situation.

Take care!

Ellie

• mara51506
    mara51506 Member Posts: 6,125
    edited April 2016
    Options

I too appreciate these posts. I am done chemo, just doing my Herceptin (which I am so thankful for). I go until Sept/Oct. I have fears about recurrence but am gradually learning not to worry so much and enjoy the fact that I had a mammo this year which was completely normal. Feels good to have that news. I have also learned that unless an ache or pain lasts for two weeks or is something completely doubling me over, I chalk most things up to my body healing from all the surgery, chemo and ongoing treatment. Thanks and congratulation to the longterm people.

• lkc
    lkc Member Posts: 180
    edited May 2016
    Options

lots of tsks, tsks, tsks, sad faces , and stinky prognosticators at my diagnosis.

ha! That was eleven yrs ago this month. I am livin large every day, filled with gratitude, and fully aware no one knows the course ahead of us.

live, love ,laugh every minute!, and enjoy some redlwine!

• rozem
    rozem Member Posts: 749
    edited May 2016
    Options

I will be 5 years out in August this year...I had chemo prior to surgery (FEC Tplus H) and a complete response, rads, zoladex for 3 years and still on tam (will probably be on some sort of hormone therapy for at least 10 years) I still worry about recurrence but not as much as the first few years. I remember how I used to scour the pages for women with a diagnosis close to mine and how great it made me feel when they were a few years out.

• Cjs47
    Cjs47 Member Posts: 6
    edited May 2016
    Options

Thank you to everyone who has posted their experiences here. I'm almost a year and a half from diagnosis and finished herceptin in February. Trying very hard to get back to living my new normal but still scared everyday that the beast will return. You ladies give me hope that getting on with life is possible!!! Hugs and good wishes to all

• rebzamy
    rebzamy Member Posts: 49
    edited May 2016
    Options

Diagnosed HER2+ June 2007 - had a very good response to chemo and could feel the cancer shrinking practically straightaway. There was a tiny bit left when I had my mastectomy. Large lymph node involvement too. Had Herceptin and Rads and later on a preventative mastectomy to the other side. It's now nearly 9 years!

Thinking of all you newbies and not so newbies and hope this makes you feel happier.

• Cjs47
    edited May 2016
    Options

Thanks RebzAmy. I felt the same during chemo. 6 weeks before my surgery and after chemo was complete, I had a breast MRI and tumor was gone!! Just shell left at time of surgery and no cancer detected. Just hoping tamoxifen does its job. I'll be on that for ten years. Trying to stay healthy and hopeful. Thanks again for support.

• edwsmom
    edwsmom Member Posts: 270
    edited May 2016
    Options

I too greatly appreciate everyone sharing their success stories!

I have an unusual diagnosis, so it's been impossible to find others who have had the same thing (occult primary, triple positive, nodal involvement) so I can compare notes.

Tomorrow I have my final radiation appointment. I continue Herceptin until October and I started on Herceptin yesterday. Saying prayers every day that I get to be someone who comes back here and tells my story many years from now.

It's a scary journey, that's for sure.

• Cjs47
    edited May 2016
    Options

Edwsmom,

Congrats on finishing radiation!!!! Before you know it herceptin will be done too. I'm with you in hoping we are only on here to say all long it's been that we have been enjoying great cancer free health for many years to come🎉 Take care.

• stormiii
    stormiii Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2016
    Options

LKC and all other survivors.
    This is wonderful to hear with my 31-year-old daughter's recent diagnosis. Praise the Lord for his grace and mercy. You are a blessed woman!

• mommaof4
    mommaof4 Member Posts: 10
    edited May 2016
    Options

I feel like I haven't been on here in so long... I just want to give hope and plans for the future to you who are going through so much right now. I was diagnosed with Her 2 + in Spring on 2011 with 4 children. I was distraught and could not see the light at the end of the tunnel. I had a bilateral mastectomy with expanders followed by chemo and then radiation due to not getting clean margins. I had micro mets to my lymph nodes . I completed a year of herceptin and had 6 total surgeries within 2 years due to my expander on my radiation side encapsulating and then moving forward with a diep flap reconstruction and 2 post diep flap surgeries.... I want you all to know that there is light at the end of this awful tunnel. There comes a time when you will look back and think "did that really happen to me?", then you'll remember you have the physical scars to prove it did. There will come a day where you see much of what you went through as a blessing. Breast cancer will be a distant memory. I am now in remission for almost 4 years and loving life :) I hope my story brings hope and strength that you will persevere and beat this awful disease❤️❤️image

• Tinkerbells
    Tinkerbells Member Posts: 53
    edited May 2016
    Options

momma, just beautiful! Congrats

• girlstrong
    girlstrong Member Posts: 299
    edited May 2016
    Options

momma ..thank you. Seeing your beautiful face and hearing your story makes me smile and cry at the same time. Continued health and blessings. Medicating

• motherofmany
    motherofmany Member Posts: 38
    edited May 2016
    Options

Thank you mommaof4. What a blessing... and thank you for hope ;  ) 

• septembersong
    septembersong Member Posts: 153
    edited May 2016
    Options

Hello, all,

Today is the eight-year anniversary of my diagnosis with stage 1 HER2+ BC. All's well, in spite of a diagnosis last year with Hodgkins lymphoma.

At this point I can say that life is good, and that the fear and anxiety I experienced with the BC diagnosis is a distant memory.

Take care of yourselves physically and emotionally. Keep your loved ones close, and don't bother with negative or insensitive people (regardless of how important they've been in your life).

Sending good thoughts for health and happiness!