Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Prolia Shots for Increasing Osteopenia

Options

Comments

• MamaOz
    MamaOz Member Posts: 239
    Options

Im 65. My gyn said the guidelines are changing and paps for older women are not recommended

He thinks thats rubbish and insists I continue with my yearly exams.

• MamaOz
    MamaOz Member Posts: 239
    Options

muska. So how are you feeling with the prolia shot?

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,933
    Options

Dpako- I am glad you are getting checked out. With some of the SEs on the AIs, I used to ask my MO how would I know whether any pain that came was from those or something worse? His advice to me was pay attention to any lingering pain. Something that lasts for weeks should be checked on. He said I would know because bone pain with mets is a different feeling, often a deep pain. That being said, I have heard a lot of women here say they had bone mets with no symptoms.

I have asthma and often get respiratory infections. I have a lung that always gets tight and sometimes feel pain there. A couple years after my dx, I was convinced I had a met to that lung. It just felt different. Went to my PCP and she heard my concern and said "let's do an X-ray to be sure" and nothing of concern. Whew. She put me on some meds for my resp infection and some better asthma meds. I think we just have to go get checked if something feels off?

Let us know how you are doing after your visit!

• dpako
    dpako Member Posts: 35
    Options

Jazzygirl. My MO's office called and said I should do a bone scan just to rule it out. So I am doing it on Friday. I am really scared. They said they didn't think it was bone mets because the pain is not constant but just to rule it out. Also, I was so stupid not to continue with Prolia shots because I heard it stops Cancer from spreading to bones. Is that true does anyone know? The last dexa I did in June it went back to osteopenia and I only took one shot of Prolia. When I saw my MO a couple of weeks ago she said it was probably from the Prolia that I took once. So I will see what happens with the bone scan and maybe I will go back on Prolia. Does anyone know if Prolia stops cancer from spreading to bones? I read such negative things about Prolia that I thought maybe I will wait to take it and work out a lot which I did and it reverted back to osteopenia.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,104
    Options

dpako - the problem with stopping Prolia is that the condition of the bones revert to where they started - osteopenia or osteoporosis. Unfortunately there's the same problem with many of the other biosphosphates, and the same jaw risk if you have emergency dental procedures. My docs said to continue Prolia twice a year for 5 years and then maybe take a drug holiday. So far, I'm not willing to take the risk of broken bones with a fall.

I haven't seen that anything will stop cancer from spreading anywhere it wants to go. But personally I do think that healthy bones have more 'stamina' to resist (totally unscientific). The same rational for healthy living, loosing weight, exercising, etc.

• jazzygirl
    Options

Regarding Prolia and bone mets, there is some literature here on BCO and other places too about bone mets risk being reduced on Prolia. The drug (denusaub) is also used to treat cancer to the bones, the shots we get are a bit less of the dosage.

Nothing will prevent cancer from spreading, a lot of things help with reducing risk.

https://www.breastcancer.org/research-news/prolia-...

• dpako
    Options

Jazzy Girl thanks for your post. I think if everything is ok with the bone scan I will ask my MO to take Prolia again. It seems to be it's more beneficial than not. The doctor on your post said it helps reduce breaking a hip by 50% so I think I will take it. Did any of you ever had a bone scan?

• minustwo
    Options

Yes dpako, I get a DEXA scan every two years - spine & hip - from my OB/Gyn. That's not cancer related, but pretty standard. I'm specifically taking the Prolia to reduce the chance of broken bones. Here's a BCO link about Xgeva & Prolia and keeping bones strong.

https://www.breastcancer.org/tips/bone_health/keep...

• dpako
    Options

Did any of you ever have a bone scan? I am doing that tomorrow.

• minustwo
    Options

I haven't had the nuclear med bone scan. Good luck today. Let us know.

• bella2013
    bella2013 Member Posts: 370
    Options

if it’s a regular bone scan it’s easy. No pain, just lay on the table and the moves over you body. It takes about 10 minites

• dpako
    Options

This bone scan is a nuclear bone scan which takes 4 hours because the dye has to go through your body.

• jazzygirl
    Options

Dpako- never had a bone scan like that, only dexa scan for osteoporosis check. Good luck!

• minustwo
    Options

dpako - I have had a couple of PET/CT nuclear scans. The hardest part for me was to lie absolutely still for 45 min to an hour while the nuclear infusion moved through my body before going into the scanner. This is the only time I took a Zanax. I'm not good at staying still. Apparently even turning pages of a book or too much eye blinking causes a 'sugar' to rush and those areas showed a 'hot spot'. I'm sure the bone test is a bit different. Hope all goes well. Edited to say - my scans were neck to knees.

• butterfly1234
    butterfly1234 Member Posts: 2,038
    Options

Hi All,

I’m taking Prolia to help with my hip osteoporosis. I just had my 4th injection yesterday. Take it every 6 months. I’m very fortunate that I don’t notice any side effects from it.’. Since I’m on Arimidex I just have to accept that this is a necessity. for me and is a fairly typical protocol. For me it’s a matter of weighing the pros and cons of each RX. I also get a Dexa scan once a year along with metabolic panel. I’m waiting on the results of my annual mammogram. Feeling more anxious than ever and wondering if it’s from the Gabapentin. Anyone else taking Gabapentin? My oncologist told me to stop it for a week to see if it makes any difference.

Love and Happy Holidays to all!

• dpako
    Options

MinusTwo. I took the bone scan on Friday waiting for results. Probably will know on Monday. I don't know I kind of think that it went to the bone. I am freaking out. I should have listened to you a year ago when I took one shot of Prolia for osteoporosis but I freaked out because I had some discomfort on my butt. I read that Prolia does prevent for mets to bone. When I had my bone density in June it showed osteopenia no more osteoporosis so I guess one shot of Prolia helped. When I saw my MO at end of November I asked her if I should take it again her reply was will see what the next bone density shows. Then I started with hip pain last Saturday who knows what to do. It's very difficult when you are alone without a partner. I am praying that this is just a pulled muscle but I don't know. The test was not bad at all. I will keep you posted.

• minustwo
    Options

dpako - Don't beat yourself up. I honestly don't think just one Prolia shot would have made a difference either way. Fingers crossed for the test results.

• jazzygirl
    Options

Dpako- MinusTwo is right, please don't beat yourself up. Please remember that there is some evidence of Prolia reducing risk of bone mets but that does not equal preventing it. Not one in the same. The main reason they recommend Prolia is to help manage bone loss that comes with the AIs. Fingers crossed on the scan.

I am going in for my updated Dexa scan today to see how my bone strengh is doing. I hope to see some improvement going off the AIs last February.

• dpako
    Options

Hello all, I got the results of the bone scan and all is good. It indicates degenerative hip bone on bone. I don't even know what that means. As long as it's not cancer that's all I care about. I will ask my primary if I should go to a orthopedic surgeon. Thanks for all your support. I did not sleep a wink last night I was freaking out.

• minustwo
    Options

dpako - congratulations. That is something that Prolia can help if it's not too far along. Hope you don't have to have surgery right away, but at least it's not cancer.

• jazzygirl
    Options

Dpako- that is great news. Taking Prolia may help to build up the bone in that area. I had thinning in my right hip.

The new place I go to only scans the left side which seems incomplete to me? I had it done again today and they do the left hip and spin. Well, I will find out if things are better. I could see the images on the screen but of course, who the heck knows if things are better, worse, the same?

• dpako
    Options

Thanks MinusTwo and JazzyGirl. I am so happy no cancer. I was convinced it's cancer. Now that I calmed down I will e-mail my oncologist and ask her if I can work out etc. Her nurse told me that the scan showed degenerative bone to bone. I don't even know what that means. Good luck with your bone density. This BC is a killer it's endless any pain you think the cancer came back. My MO's office is really busy on Monday so it was hard to even talk to the nurse. But the MO does everything by e-mail. Thanks for your support.

• jazzygirl
    Options

Got my results back yesterday already from the DEXA scan. Still osteopenic but things are holding steady from last year for the most part. No improvement yet off the AIs. I plan to continue on with Prolia and may need to do so longer term. Will ask the MO's office about whether this is a lifetime thing now or if things improve with time, if I can stop? We have a history of osteoporosis with our mom and her sister who both ended up with broken bones in their later years.

Dpako- good luck talking to your MO and to see if going back on the Prolia shots may help. Glad to help here.

• minustwo
    Options

Jazzy - Glad your DEXA is at least steady w/no more loss. I've been reading that whatever bone "enhancing" drug you're on - when you stop the pills or shots or infusions the bones revert to their previous state of loss &/or continue to deteriorate. My MO is recommending I take Prolia 8 shots, take a drug holiday, and then resume the shots. I'll be discussing any new medical revelations with my GYN in January.

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    Options

I had my first Prolia shot yesterday. I'm not on hormonal therapy - it appears chemo itself triggered my bone loss. My doctors says I should plan on staying on it for 5 years and then we'll re-assess. Maybe there will be new therapies on the market by then or better evidence about long term use of Prolia.

• NoteRed
    NoteRed Member Posts: 59
    Options

Hello to all, my MO said due to osteopenia I should have prolia shots too. I'm afraid of starting it but from what I've read many of you dont have SE's.

Another thing, is that I've also have bursitis at my right hip...will this help or not??? I forgot to ask my MO...

• Nash54
    Nash54 Member Posts: 699
    Options

Hello All...looks like I'm about to join the "whether or not to take Porlia shots" group. Just had DEXA and I am continuing to lose bone density. This is my fourth year on Lextrozole....not sure if the recommendation will be to continue after year 5. I've tried working out and talking supplements but obviously it hasn't worked. My greatest fear is the jaw thing...

• muska
    muska Member Posts: 224
    Options

Nash, the jaw thing almost never happens with Prolia. It is more of a concern for those taking Xgeva (twice the dose of Prolia and every month.)

• Nash54
    Nash54 Member Posts: 699
    Options

Muska....thanks, good to know. I feel like I'm now on the path of "take this to counteract this". Before BC i was never on any meds. This kind of sucks.

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,226
    Options

nash - also, important to note - Prolia was not developed as a medication for breast cancer patients - it is actually marketed to post-menopausal women who suffer bone loss as they experience natural menopause. Some number of us would experience osteopenia or osteoporosis even if we had not had treatment for breast cancer as our estrogen naturally declined.