Ibrance (Palbociclib)

Comments

• Liwi
    Liwi Member Posts: 249
    edited October 2017
    Nonahope I also have very fine hair, has been various dark to light stages of blond over the years. I started coloring again soon after my initial chemo, etc treatment and have continued. My stylist uses a low peroxide mix and I’ve found that if I keep it on the lighter side the grey blends well so I only need a touch up every 3-4 months.
  • nonahope
    nonahope Member Posts: 695
    edited October 2017

Thanks for all the hair color recommendations. My roots are white and I have always had it colored a light blonde. I used to have it done every 8 weeks, but I now know I can go much longer. The roots blend in with the blonde pretty well. I think it's been 4 months now....time to get down to business. I will definitely ask about the no peroxide, but I doubt it would cover the white regrowth. You usually need peroxide in the mix for it to grab hold.

Hope

• PatgMc
    PatgMc Member Posts: 1,312
    edited October 2017

Hey, girly-girls! It's bald-headed Pat over here waving from Memphis! After Taxol/Carboplatin my hair "came back" in the form of a little old man with large patches missing and my eyebrows are almost non-existent even after 5 years. I was sad and surprised as I had spent 20 years convincing people getting chemo that their hair would certainly come back. The amusing thing to me is that I had spent 30 years getting my roots done, then bought a blond wig with dark roots! No, not just ONE wig with roots, but 5 just alike (in case Paula Young discontinues my color). Crazy! AcrylicRUs!

Good luck with your hair color adventures!

• GeraniumRose
    GeraniumRose Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2017

Dear Romansa

Ive been on Ibrance for 3 weeks now. Rest week about to start. Paying for it privately in New Zealand. Side effects I have had were total fatigue first week, but that disappeared after a week or so. even got back in the pool where I hadnt been for a while. Very thirsty, have to drink a lot.However my neutrophils have dropped alarmings, from 1.6 to 0.9 then 0.6 so they are dropping my dose. It comes in 125, 100 and 75 mg doses I think. So I'm onto the middle one now; hope my body can handle it. Dont know if you'll find this post as there are hundreds of them, and not sure where they turn up!

How are things going for you? Rachel.

• Frenchhorn654
    Frenchhorn654 Member Posts: 46
    edited October 2017

Geranium, thanks for your post... I am also always thirsty... trying to keep water close by - when you post it shows up on the last page (currently 333) with the latest being on the bottom of the page!

• ceci4555
    ceci4555 Member Posts: 43
    edited October 2017

Thank you all for your answers, I'm not sure how to answer individually. Sadiesservant, I'm from the Dominican Republic. I'm glad you haven't found the medication too harsh. Anyone on zoledronic acid instead of Xgeva?

• 50sgirl
    50sgirl Member Posts: 2,071
    edited October 2017

Ceci, I am on zolendronic acid (Zometa) rather than Xgeva. I had monthly infusions for a year, and now have infusions every three months. I posted the following information for you earlier, but there have been many posts since then, so I am repeating it here.

Some people have flu-like symptoms for a few days, especially after the first zolendronic acid treatment. Here are recommendations to help you avoid or reduce side effects: make sure the IV is set to take at least 30 minutes not 15 minutes as some nurses want to do. That is very important. Ask the nurse and make sure it is set for at least 30 minutes. Stay well-hydrated the day before, the day of, and the day following infusion. Take Advil or Tylenol day of and following infusion, some people also take Claritin.

Lynne

• marianelizabeth
    marianelizabeth Member Posts: 1,156
    edited October 2017

GeraniumRose, I have found you here and maybe will in NZ, depending on where you are. I will be there Feb. 10-March 10 and Waipu/Whangarei mainly but Auckland too. I start Cycle 3 tomorrow. No way to get Pfizer to pay in NZ?

PatG, I would almost rather be bald than with thin hair. I got to like it back in 2012/13 chemo days and I loved wearing scarves. I have gone to #1 Shaves twice since then when I wanted life to be easier.

• ceci4555
    edited October 2017

Thanks a lot for your answer 50sgirl I had seen your post and didn't realize it was on the same Ibrance thread. Does the combination make Ibrance particularly worse? I still wonder why some people are put on zoledronic acid and some on Xgeva and similars and wthether one is better than the other. The only contraindication I've read about is hipocalcemia (don't remember my exact calcium level). Thank you so much again for everything.

Edit: by the way, when you mean flu-like symptoms do you mean as in a stomach flu or your usual cold-like flu? We don't use the expression exactly the same in spanish.

• 50sgirl
    edited October 2017

Ceci, The "flu-like" symptoms are mostly headache, body aches, fever. I have never had more than an occasional achiness. The Zometa infusions do not affect the potency or SEs of Ibrance. Zometa and Xgeva both target the bones. I think some oncologists simply prefer one medication over the other. I have read some studies that suggest that Xgeva gives slightly better results than Zometa, but that the difference is not significant. Some people experience SEs from Xgeva, too. Xgeva is a newer drug . Zometa is a bit less expensive. Administering Xgeva is quicker since it is an injection rather than an infusion. I have no problems with Zometa and seem to have good results, so I have no reason to change.

Lynn

• JFV
    JFV Member Posts: 341
    edited October 2017

Ceci I am on Ibrance and zoledrenic acid. The Oncologist felt she preferred using a drug that's been around for a long time and they know the side effects.

• intolight
    intolight Member Posts: 2,338
    edited October 2017

Cec, I am on zolendronic acid (Zometa) every 3 months and have been since June 2016. I do well on it as long as the drip is set to 30 mins, I stay hydrated, and take an antihistamine (like Claritin). I just get a little achy the day after. I haven't been on any other.

Chris

• ceci4555
    edited October 2017

Thank you all for the answers again, I feel less scared. Did any of you have gastritis before treatment? I do and would like to hear experiences on how it was affected by treatment. Sorry if I ask too many questions. I was just diagnosed with mets and it's been a real emotional rollercoaster. I'm never sure what to expect. But you girls (and guys?) are so knowledgeable already, gives me hope.

One last question: when you say "total fatigue" as I read somewhere do you mean sleepiness? Not being able to get out of bed? or I don't know xD.

• ceci4555
    edited October 2017

JFV that makes sense, thanks for your answer

• zarovka
    zarovka Member Posts: 2,959
    edited October 2017

Zometa has a strong immune enhancing effect and combining it with ibrance probably a good thing.

Zometa is one of the factors they use to activate t cells in the lab for one component of the immunotherapy I am receiving. This one component of the treatment is closely related to CAR-T therapy. The research area is quite promising.

Z

• ceci4555
    edited October 2017

Sounds promising indeed! best wishes zarovka

• ceci4555
    edited October 2017

IntoLight I'm not sure you'll see this but I forgot to ask how the combo has worked for you.

• ceci4555
    edited October 2017

IntoLight I'm not sure you'll see this but when you say you take an Claritin, do you mean the day of the infusion or for how long afterwards do yo keep taking it?

• airlinegal
    airlinegal Member Posts: 252
    edited October 2017
    I am off of Ibrance for a week because of low counts. Question...Onc is prescribing 50,000 units of D3 to help with immune system. Has anyone else taken this kind of D3 to help with theirs. Will be taking once a week for 3 mo.
  • Lynnwood1960
    Lynnwood1960 Member Posts: 1,107
    edited October 2017

Ceci, many of us take Claritin daily. I know I do. It's supposed to help with bone pain. I started taking it daily after I read how many ladies here take it and find it helpful.

• ciaci
    ciaci Member Posts: 315
    edited October 2017

airlinegal, I've been taking 50,000 units of D3, once a week, for two years now (been on Ibrance for 3 months) because my counts were naturally a little low. No side effects at all, my Vitamin D numbers are all within normal range now. Both MD and Onc say to keep taking it... no end date.

• Blume
    Blume Member Posts: 59
    edited October 2017

Just catching up on this thread for a few pages and its great to read lots of positive news! I was away in Italy for a couple weeks, continued with Ibrance whilst away and just had a sore throat for a couple days and lots of fatigue (but I also walked so so much!). I had my checkup day after returning and blood work is excellent - just hoping this doesn't mean Ibrance is not working. I just stared the 4th cycle still on 125mg.

Another question on Zometa - I had my 7th infusion on wednesday. It doesn't usually affect me but this time I have had a lot of tiredness and nausea for a couple of days, does anyone else get this? They really administered too fast, my Onc always specifies 30-45 minutes but they did it over 15 mins this time, maybe this is the problem.

On hair colouring, saw my hairdresser yesterday who had no problem with colouring but she recommended I use lots of macadamia oil to help with the dryness of the hair - put it on dry hair daily if needed.

• Maire67
    Maire67 Member Posts: 418
    edited October 2017

I just read this on practice update. I am on Xgeva . I know there are studies for all sorts of things but this made me see red. Sorry but cranky from Faslodex yesterday and CBC bottoming out meaning neupogen for 4 days. My finances are nobody's business but mine

• 50sgirl
    edited October 2017

"A key element for a patient to experience a good death is the need to leave no financial debt for her family to pay associated with her cancer treatment "

You should have seen the look on my dh's face when I read that line aloud. His comment was, "Why do they think it's all about money?"

Now, I do have to say that if Zometa is as effective every three months as it is monthly, as it seems to say in the second excerpt, then it makes sense to give it every three months, but not just for financial reasons. If it is only more cost-effective than month denosumab, as it says in the first excerpt, then there are other considerations that need to be taken into account. Otherwise, maybe we should just stop treating patients completely and save everyone a ton of money, right?

For me, I will opt for living longer and more comfortably rather than looking for bargains. Experiencing a good death is not always tied to money.

Btw, I didn't just have a faslodex shot nor did I have neupgen, but this still made me cranky!,

Lynne

• HLB
    HLB Member Posts: 740
    edited October 2017

Looks to me like the only thing studies was cost effectiveness. Nothing about reducing the rate of skeletel events. Also what about time to progression? I've been told by my onc there is more to xgeva than reducing SRE, that it also involves a process that prevents bone Mets from growing. All this will do is cause ins to stop paying for xgeva.

• HLB
    HLB Member Posts: 740
    edited October 2017

As for not leaving a financial burden being a part of a good death, that is very personal and individual. I may not want to leave a burden, but if my family thought I made decisions to save them $, possibly at the expense of my quality or length of time left, they would be heartbroken and furious.

• nkb
    nkb Member Posts: 1,561
    edited October 2017

Sorry for harsh opinion, but, sounds very condescending to me. And way off base. More guilt for the victim. The insurance companies who pay the bills are worth billions and pay their CEOs multiple millions and they are creating a financial burden for all of us. Hello

• intolight
    intolight Member Posts: 2,338
    edited October 2017

I was prescribed 50,000 vita D3 until my D3 level was good. Now I take 4,000 daily for maintenance and it has worked fine.

I get the Zometa infusion every 3 months and it seems to work fine for me. My bone mets have all resolved and I rarely have bone pain...just a little when I overdo it in one hip. My MO wants some new labs when I return from my vacation but I don't know what or why yet.

I take a Claritan the day before and the day of my infusion. I do take an occasional Benedryl when I am extra itchy or need to sleep. So far it has worked fine so I don't take Claritan daily.

Just returned from the city and saw Wicked. Was a fun day. My son lived in NYC for 10 years so he knows where to eat and how to navigate. Walked the 3 blocks to Times Square just because...I have been there before. We did a matinee because I fly to Missouri in the morning and didn't want to be too tired. So far my trip has been excellent. I am excited to see my grandsons tomorrow. Praying we all have a great weekend.

Chris

• ceci4555
    edited October 2017

Lynnwood19..that sounds interesting, doesn't it make you sleepy or more tired? I've heard that type of allergy medicine can do that.

Maire67 what a sad reminder of the certainty of death! I don't think what's cost effective is what truly matters but what will keep the patient alive longer and in better conditions.

But if zoledronic acid is just as effective every 3 months maybe it would be less troublesome...maybe even side effects-wise?

• Jaylea
    Jaylea Member Posts: 440
    edited October 2017

Adding one more perspective to the Zometa discussion. After reading the posts here and before my first treatment, I asked my MO about the possibility of changing the drip time from 15 minutes to 30 minutes. She said no because the goal is to get to a specific concentration in the bloodstream. I take generic Claritin the day before, day of, and day after, and drown in water all 3 days. First infusion was a little rough the next day, but doable. Since then minor to no SE's.

Changing to 3 months would definitely help the pin-cushion syndrome. With only one battle-worn arm to poke, every stick is a challenge. Maybe a port in my future...