Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Ibrance (Palbociclib)

Comments

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,166
    edited July 2020

Just popping in---I read your posts all the time.

Today is CBC/ANC check after normal week off of Ibrance. Hoping numbers are to my MO's liking--over 1000 (1.0) and I can start cycle 31 tomorrow. Appointment with second opinion MO next Monday about all this.

• Rosie24
    Rosie24 Member Posts: 1,026
    edited July 2020

Good luck, Candy! 🤞

• aviva5675
    aviva5675 Member Posts: 836
    edited July 2020

I am on week 2 of my first cycle. A few days ago my mouth was very sore, even my teeth ached. I had maybe a small sores. I had my 2d Faslodex yesterday and saw onco. He said he hadn't heard sores as a side effect. What? Said a few times possibly it was something I had eaten. I dont do spicy food and dont think it was anything out of the ordinary. I just read above about diet/water. Should I just ramp up my water intake to try to avoid this? I normally dont drink much during the day. Newbie at the Ibrance stuff. He also said sugar makes no difference to cancers. I think Im going to switch docs.

• GinnyO2
    GinnyO2 Member Posts: 115
    edited July 2020

Need a math whiz. I got my Ferritin lab results back and due to my having to change labs, the perimeters have changed and I'm not sure how much my levels have risen. Help ! 🙏

4/20 High 620. ( range 16-288)

7/20 High 718 ( range 15-150)

Looks like some serious increase to me!?

• sondraf
    sondraf Member Posts: 1,665
    edited July 2020

Aviva - get some Colgate Peroxyl mouthwash for the sores, that will help a bunch - its available at the drugstore without a prescription. I don't use it every day, just when sores start coming along. My first few cycles I had quite a few more sores until things started to calm down. Definitely more water!

• candy-678
    edited July 2020

ANC today 900 (0.9). MO's nurse called with order to start cycle 31 tomorrow as scheduled. Whoopie !!!!! Nothing else said about the numbers. Either MO is ok with it, or she is thinking What the heck, let her continue the Ibrance. IDK. But, woohoo, I can continue Ibrance for now.

• rk2020
    rk2020 Member Posts: 697
    edited July 2020

Aviva5675: If mouth sores weren't a side effect of Ibrance why would it be part of the literature Ibrance posts? See tips for managing side effects

https://www.ibrance.com/taking-ibrance

I developed a mouth sore in week 2 of my first 125 mg cycle of Ibrance. It's been over 3 months now and we cannot get it to heal! Other minor sores have come and gone but this one won't heal. I've tried Colgate Peroxyl, baking soda and salt rinses and prescription dexamethasone rinse without results. I am now rinsing with a product I bought on Amazon called Prevention Oncology Mouth Rinse as well as glutamine as a mouth rinse/supplement in the dosage in the attached link. https://stanfordhealthcare.org/content/dam/SHC/programs-services/cancer-nutrition/docs/sore-mouth-throat-during-cancer-treatment-nutrition-facts.pdf

I am seeing SOME healing but I've also been off Ibrance for 2 weeks. I start 75 mg dose on Thursday.

• rk2020
    edited July 2020

Candy - I’m glad you can continue on the Ibrance! I’m taking a blood test tomorrow and presumably starting 75 mg on Thursday. It was my ANC that originally was the issue but now my RBC, hemoglobin and hematocrit are inching south. Sigh. But I’m very hopeful that 75 mg will work for me. BTW even though I haven’t been able to take more then 14 pills in my first 4 cycles, my CA27.29 is dropping. Yeah! PET scan tomorrow

• dodgersgirl
    dodgersgirl Member Posts: 1,902
    edited July 2020

RK2020- in your pocket for PET scan tomorrow

Candy678: congrats on getting the green light to start Cycle 31. That’s terrific

Aviva5675– what has worked for my mouth sores is Kank-A. It’s a canker sore med that isn’t supposed to work on cancer related mouth sores but works well for me. The area is instantly numbed and gets a layer of product on top the sore. Maybe it could help you, too?

• kbl
    kbl Member Posts: 2,901
    edited July 2020

RK2020, have you ever tried the DenTek Canker Cover? It stings a little when you put it on. You hold it on the spot, and it creates a cover that usually lasts me through the night. Just make sure you put it in the right spot because if you try to take it off, it will rip the skin until it has time to melt. It gets kind of rubbery, but it really helps so that it’s not rubbing against anything for a while.

• kbl
    edited July 2020

Candy, so happy you get to start. It’s so close, and I think they’re starting to realize it’s close enough.

• rk2020
    edited July 2020

KBL - Thanks for the DenTek Canker Cover. I see Walgreens carries them. I’m going to give it a try. The strange thing is that this sore isn’t painful at all but it just won’t heal. Maybe a patch to protect it will help

• kbl
    edited July 2020

RK2020, I hope it helps. I’m glad it doesn’t hurt, but I’m sure it’s super annoying.

• aprilgirl1
    aprilgirl1 Member Posts: 794
    edited July 2020

RK2020 - in your pocket for your scan today, hope you get your results soon!

Candy - that is great news! So happy for you that your WBC was good enough and there was no raised eyebrows or discussion and it's on to the next cycle of Ibrance.

• sondraf
    sondraf Member Posts: 1,665
    edited July 2020

Candy - I bet it feels great to know you dont have to deal with MO drama this month! :) Your second opinion doc is next week, right?

• candy-678
    edited July 2020

RK2020- In your pocket for the PET. Let us know.

mouth sores- I have only had a couple and they healed quickly. Thank goodness.

Sondra- Second opinion MO appointment on Monday the 13th.

• iwrite
    iwrite Member Posts: 746
    edited July 2020

Good news Candy! Hope the 2nd opinion helps out!

RK2020 - Mouth sores improved for me over time. I think our bodies are stunned by what is going on when we start on these medications and the cancer fights back. I felt a lot better (normal) by about month four. Plus, I had gotten over the initial shock of the DX. Hope you see some good results with the mouth meds!

• JACK5IE
    JACK5IE Member Posts: 654
    edited July 2020

Candy...that's great news!

• RhosgobelRabbit
    RhosgobelRabbit Member Posts: 502
    edited July 2020

Congrats Candy!

Had MO visit, blood, Zometa today. Have scans scheduled, 15th CT and 17th Bone Scan. Today did not go how I wanted it to. Dismissive, terse, hurried even after the "mistake" snafu. Sat in the infusion chair after visit with MO as Zometa went in and hid tears under my mask. How do people deal with YEARS of this BS.

On another note, I saw this recently and it made me laugh. Hugs Ladies.

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,723
    edited July 2020

Radagast, I'm so sorry you had a rough day and your MO was a jerk. I'm glad you found a bit of humor in the "qwanwantine" picture.

(((hugs)))

• JACK5IE
    edited July 2020

Sorry you had a bad day Miss Rabbit. Tomorrow will be better.

I have my CT and bone scan scheduled for July 22nd.

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,723
    edited July 2020

I'm on a seven-day break from Ibrance. I just finished my first course. Counts were down. I'll repeat blood work in one week and then we'll see if I'm to continue.

Also had the Zometa infusion today. This is my third infusion and I've spiked a bit of a temp each time. I usually just check in the mornings and it's been up to about 101.4 in the past on day one after the infusion. I didn't keep track for a few days after the second infusion. I thought I'd check it now at around 5:30 PM (infusion was over at about 11:00 AM) and it's up to 99.0. My usual temp is a low 98 or a high 97. I'm dreading the nausea that seems to come at around 4:00 AM the day after the infusion. Last time, I took a compazine before I went to bed, but I still got the nausea. Here's hoping for a better night tonight.

• sandersmomma
    sandersmomma Member Posts: 14
    edited July 2020

Hi. I’m new to MBC. I’m 51 and my son is only 13. I’ve been anxiously awaiting my Ibrance to arrive via mail. The day it shipped, my husband died unexpectedly of a heart attack. His funeral was today, and the Ibrance arrived today. Ive been so anxious to start taking it to try and fight this horrible disease. Now I’m terrified to start this medication as a solo parent.
    Fighting for the courage to start these pills and live to see our son grow up.

• kbl
    edited July 2020

sandersmomma, I'm so sorry about your husband. I can't even imagine what you're going through. I'm also so sorry you're here.

So you know my story, I started on the 125 mg and only made it a month. My neutrophils dropped too low, and the one other thing was the fatigue. I didn't really have other side effects. I dropped right down to 75 mg the next month. My neutrophils are still always in the tank, and I do still have days I struggle with fatigue, but it is a little better. Just know I'm thinking of you and sending you a virtual hug for both you and your son.

• faith-840
    faith-840 Member Posts: 926
    edited July 2020

Oh, Sandersmom, how awful for you. I can’t imagine what you are going through. Life is really not fair sometimes. Ibrance is a good drug that is showing great results for so many. The side effects are not too bad for most of us and hopefully they won’t be for you either. I’m glad you found this site but so sorry you have to be here. However, everyone here is very supportive and are so knowledgeable and willing to answer any questions you have. You will be in my prayers. May God give you the strength you need to get through this trial and live a long life to see your son become a wonderful man.

Love and prayers,

Faith (in the future).

• JACK5IE
    edited July 2020

sandersmomma...I'm so very very sorry. I will keep you and your son in my prayers. Know that we are all here for you when you need us.

• elenas401
    elenas401 Member Posts: 170
    edited July 2020

sandersmomma: So very sorry for what you're going through. These are very stressful times even without everything you've been hit with. Everyone is here to listen and offer encouragement and good information they find. I really appreciate the support here. Hope Ibrance works wonders for you.

• dodgersgirl
    dodgersgirl Member Posts: 1,902
    edited July 2020

sandersmomma— so very sorry for your loss. Also sorry you find yourself in the MBC group. Sigh

As everyone has said, this is a great group who will listen, support, and share Ibrance experiences with you.

I started Ibrance in February at 125 mg. Like many others I had a dose reduction due to low bloodwork numbers. I am now taking 100 mg. So far, so good.

You will read posts from people here who are still taking Ibrance 30 cycles later and longer. Hoping you find success from Ibrance so you can watch your son grow up.

We are all here should you need a place to vent or cry or laugh. You are not alone.

Please let us know how you are doing.

You and your son will be in my prayers tonight.

• tina2
    tina2 Member Posts: 758
    edited July 2020

Sandersmomma,

I am so sorry for your terrible loss.

You will find friends here.

Tina

• chico
    chico Member Posts: 197
    edited July 2020

Sandersmomma so very sorry to read your story but glad that you have found this site and the friends you will make here who will give you support and advice. I have been on I/L well over 3.5 years (49 cycles)and many people here have been much longer. Best wishes to you and your son.