Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

Ibrance (Palbociclib)

Comments

• Florence2006
    Florence2006 Member Posts: 19
    edited October 2015

jjisk62, where do you live. I am actually in Oaks, Regency at Providence, a 55+ Toll Brothers Community. We love it here. I started a breast cancer support group for our community. How can we share private email accounts?

• Florence2006
    Florence2006 Member Posts: 19
    edited October 2015

Thanks or the advice, Stefajoy. I did close my eyes and pictured beautiful things. It's over and I will get the results on Monday. We can do so much more than we think we can do.

• jjski62
    jjski62 Member Posts: 43
    edited October 2015

Florence, I sent you a private message.

Joanne.

• 513mgv
    513mgv Member Posts: 54
    edited October 2015

I am just starting 3rd cycle of ibrance, my MO very happy because my breast tumor a lot smaller and softer than it has been since the start in 12/11. I am still having a lot of back pain even though tm stable so off to radiation I go. I will be getting 15 treatments to most of my spine since I have tumor s from t4 thru the sacrum and may need a kaiphosplasty to t10 after radiation, we will see.other than be tired ibrance not bad.

Marilyn

• mcsushi
    mcsushi Member Posts: 71
    edited October 2015

Hey gang! I've silently been stalking this thread for the past few weeks and I figured it was time I introduced myself. I was diagnosed 5 years ago with stage III bc and then was recently diagnosed in August with mets to my lungs, pleura, and some nodes. I started Ibrance in September along with lupron and femara. I had to quit Ibrance 14 days into my first round as my counts tanked and after two weeks of waiting for them to recover, I restarted at 100mg yesterday. Seems like a common trend.

Aside from the neutropenia, I only had a couple mouth sores and a little fatigue. I'm hoping my second round is the same (minus the severe neutropenia). My tumor markers are quite high so I'm curious to see what they look like in a few more weeks. I also have a pleurx catheter I'd like to be free from so I hope this Ibrance kicks some cancer ass. Anyway, it's nice to officially meet all my fellow palbo sisters!

~McSushi

• moissy
    moissy Member Posts: 371
    edited October 2015

Hi McSushi!

Glad to meet you! Sorry that you find yourself here, but you already know what a great place this is for info and support. If you had minimal side effects on the first cycle, I'm betting you'll find the second cycle even easier on the lower dose. I hope you can ditch that pleurx catheter soon! Good luck, and let us know how things go!

• Myra1211
    Myra1211 Member Posts: 532
    edited October 2015

Good evening all. Just got back from having a lovely dinner with Dorothy (Pearlady) and Bill before they leave on a Carribbean Cruise. This is the second time we met and it was a wonderful , easy evening. And yummy too! Myra.

• Hummingbird4
    Hummingbird4 Member Posts: 220
    edited October 2015

Myra - great pic! That's wonderful that you got together with Dorothy. Actually, I was wondering how she was doing because I haven't seen her post here recently (unless I missed it) so it's a relief to hear that she's just busy having Fun!!!

McSushi - welcome and I wish you a great, long success on Ibrance which I hope will bring those TM's way down and free you from that catheter. Many ladies here find this a pretty easy treatment and I hope you do too. This is a great place to come to for information and support.

• pearlady
    pearlady Member Posts: 390
    edited October 2015

Yes it was a great evening with Myra. Haven't been checking in much as its been a difficult month.

My onc committed suicide. Hard to believe I outlived the oncologist. So you can imagine the stress and trauma with that. Have been interviewing new oncs and also searching for a new source of the Vitamin IVS that I get. Have found an onc that I will stay with for now. But of course it's not the same. He did work with my onc. The good news is that my oncs ex nurse is working for another Dr. who is now doing the IVs. So hopefully things are now stabilizing. Had

Will be getting scans when back from vacation. New onc was on board with what my onc had said about treatment. If there is progression we will stay with Ibrance and switch to Faslodex. Can't believe it's almost 8 months on Ibrance /Femara. But feeling well. Hope that's a good indicator.

Have a great day everyone.

• Hummingbird4
    Hummingbird4 Member Posts: 220
    edited October 2015

Pearlady - I am so sorry to hear about your onc. How very sad. And I'm sorry that you now have to go through the process of searching for a new one and establishing a relationship with a new onc. I hope you are able to put this aside for now and have a wonderful time on vacation. Wishing you a great trip.

• sandilee
    sandilee Member Posts: 436
    edited October 2015

Dorothy,I'm so sorry to hear about your onc, whom you really valued and did well with. It must be so sad for everyone who knew him and loved him. Sometimes we really don't know the strains that people are under until it's too late to be of any help. I'm so very sorry. He sounded like a good man. Faslodex was very good to me, so I hope you experience the same if your scans show progression.

I check in here from time to time to see how my old cohort is doing, and I'm happy to see so many of you still on Ibrance. I've completed four cycles of Xeloda since leaving Ibrance, and I do think it's working. My scan results next week should give me real answers, though. Side effects aren't too bad- and no low counts.

Best wishes to all of you!

• 3Holly
    3Holly Member Posts: 201
    edited October 2015

Pearlady, So sorry to hear about your oncologist, it must have been a terrible shock. You have done incredibly well to have survived so many difficult treatments for so long, and I hope you are able to find another great doctor to help you through this. I hope you have a relaxing and healing vacation, and good luck with your scans!

• pearlady
    pearlady Member Posts: 390
    edited October 2015

Thank you Sandilee and Holly. Yes an incredible shock. You think someone who is so successful and treats patients from all over the world would be able to handle anything. The onc I'm going to now worked with my Dr. and says he will partner with me. In the short term this will be good and I will have time to sort things out. Still getting Herceptin so I had to do something quickly.

Sandilee so glad the Xeloda is wotking. I found it to be not that difficult. Many people are stable for quite a while on Xeloda. Hoping you get good news on your scans. Please keep checking in here.

Relaxing by the pool here waiting to board the ship. Best to everyone.

• dlb823
    dlb823 Member Posts: 2,701
    edited October 2015

Just wanted to add my condolences on the loss of your onc, Dorothy. It's amazing how close we become with our docs over the years, and I'm sure you were stunned to hear what had happened. So very sad.

And Myra, thanks for posting the picture! It made me smile! You both look beautiful! So glad you could get together.

Have a wonderful cruise, Dorothy!

• moissy
    edited October 2015

Pearlady & Myra - How great that you both could get together! Dorothy - I'm so sorry to hear about your onc. Aside from the personal loss, just the logistics of keeping everything going with your treatments....Glad you you have an interim plan in place. Hope you have a great trip. Enjoy!

• Lynnwood1960
    Lynnwood1960 Member Posts: 1,107
    edited October 2015

Pearlady, just shocking about your onc! So sorry for your loss

• Kaption
    Kaption Member Posts: 2,934
    edited October 2015

Just wanted to add my "ditto" to the support above. Pear lady, that is so sad for all involved.

Glad you and Myra got together. Thanks for sharing the picture. You have both been helpful and supportive on this board

• cjanet
    cjanet Member Posts: 288
    edited October 2015

I don't post that often here.

Pearlady, I'm so sorry to hear if your onc's tragic passing and the stress it has placed on you. I had always thought you were from NY but now I see your profile says NJ. I live in NJ and go to SBMC for treatment. I wonder where in NJ you are? Enjoy your cruise, that sounds awesome!

Stefanie- wow that's stressful not knowing if the next time you will be in Ibrance or Xeloda but yay for stable!!!

• susan_02143
    susan_02143 Member Posts: 2,394
    edited October 2015

Pear,

Strangely, I know how you feel [almost.] My original oncologist died 6 years into our relationship. We were close. I trusted him implicitly. We talked about me, about our respective children, his wife, and their lovely tradition of Thursday date night where they trolled around Allston eating at ethnic joints with a max of $15 per person. I was crushed. But, to have a doctor choose to die, well that is another level of grief I think. It is a hard transition to find the "next" one. My current onc is totally and completely different, but after "training" her for four years, we are finally compatible. Good luck finding your next place to put your trust. If you are lucky, you will find them as quickly as I did.

*susan*

• JFL
    JFL Member Posts: 1,373
    edited October 2015

It is quite ironic that an oncologist, who spent his life fighting to keep others alive, would end his own life. So sorry to hear about your loss, Pear Lady. I hope your new doctor is even better with you care! It sounds like your previous doctor was excellent at what he did.

• sandilee
    edited October 2015

Sometimes people who spend their lives helping others just burn out. I was reading that burn-out is a real problem for doctors, as they have so much invested in the well-being of their patients, they work long hours and often suffer from exhaustion as well. For every patient who is doing well, there are undoubtedly others who they are not able to help. I can see how sometimes it might seem like a losing battle. I feel for his family.

• mdillard04
    mdillard04 Member Posts: 83
    edited October 2015

Great pic Myra and PearLady!! Great to see those smiles! PearLady... So sorry to hear about your onc. Hope and pray you find someone just as good or even better!!

• ABeautifulSunset
    ABeautifulSunset Member Posts: 600
    edited October 2015

Well, I'm back. Actually I never really left. Thought I would be on Xeloda by now but no change in scans or MRI in the 6 months I've been on Ibrance. So going back on after a lovely two week break. Scans again in three months. We'll just keep watching.

Myra and Dorothy, such a beautiful picture! Thanks for sharing it

• sandilee
    edited October 2015

Awesome news, Stef!

• moissy
    edited October 2015

Stef is back,

Ring the bell.

Stable scans and feeling well.

Ibrance working, hip hooray.

Pop your Ibrance pill today.

OK, a little punchy late at night, but so glad to hear good news on your scans, Stef!

• ABeautifulSunset
    ABeautifulSunset Member Posts: 600
    edited October 2015

Smile Heehee.. That's good Moissey

• artistatheart
    artistatheart Member Posts: 1,437
    edited October 2015

Yes Moissey that made me laugh! Welcome back Steph that is great news! Pearlady, what a stressor for you. I hope you have a fantastic and relaxing trip, time to grieve your Onc....Myra and Pearl that is so awesome that you ladies get together on occassion and that is a very cute pic! Susan I like the idea that you are training your Onc. I could stand to do the same with mine. Best of luck on the scans Sandilee! Best wishes on your results Florence! And welcome McSushi!

• Lynnwood1960
    Lynnwood1960 Member Posts: 1,107
    edited October 2015

Steph, so glad you can continue on Ibrance! Moissy, loved the poem, so cute and funny! We all hope to be popping that pill for a long time

• Myra1211
    Myra1211 Member Posts: 532
    edited October 2015

Steph, hip hip hooray. I am so glad you waited for scan results before moving on! Hope I get the same results.

Moissy, that poem was so cute. Good job 🎭 This is what is so wonderful about this Ibrance group

Great day to all today, felt a little under the weather yesterday. Feel better today. Myra.

• Kaption
    Kaption Member Posts: 2,934
    edited October 2015

a question for those who travel, use a consulting oncologist...or anyone who can advise.

We try to spend January-March in Florida. Last year I was receiving infusions. The onc and infusion center I used were fair. The lab in that office was scarily unprofessional. This year, on Ibrance, all I really need is a good lab and an onc to meet once a month. (This is all assuming the December scan is good). Obviously, if anything goes wrong I'll come home.

We stay in the Cocoa Beach/Cape Canaveral area. Any suggestions? Thanks