Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Gardening, anyone?

Options

Comments

• TwoHobbies
    TwoHobbies Member Posts: 1,532
    Options

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,934
    Options

Back from my travels to CO. Here are some wildflowers by the road. I love purple thistle.

• Monis
    Monis Member Posts: 309
    Options

Ha, ha! Wildflowers in one place, weeds in another!

• footprintsangel
    footprintsangel Member Posts: 35,657
    Options

I used to try and pick those for my mom when I was little, ouch!

My patio garden has a humming bird and yellow little birds

in my honeysuckle. Its so beautiful to see things like that

when You are watering .

• lynn1234
    lynn1234 Member Posts: 90
    Options

I love working in my tiny garden, seeing the flowers bloom and planning where to plant what. I do not have a green thumb at all but it's a great way to keep my mind off things. Very therapeutic to be outside, get excercise anddig the weeds out! Anyway I have a gardening question.... Regarding sweet William. They bloomed so full and pretty and then I dead-headed them. I thought they would get full again but I am afraid they're finished for the season. What do you think? Do they bloom a second time?

Thanks!

Lynn

• Pawprint
    Pawprint Member Posts: 354
    Options
    I decided to plant 3 different varieties of tomatoes this week in 3 really big pots. Muscles sore from lifting the heavy garden soil bags. Hopefully in 3 months I will have fresh tomatoes. I am just starting a vegetable garden in my back yard. I have hard rock soil and live in a very hot area in Southern CA. But I'm hopeful. I am using container pots with miracle grow potting soil. One plant looks like it went into shock. Can't wait to plant more vegetables.
  • ananda8
    ananda8 Member Posts: 1,418
    Options

Pawprint, If you are doing container gardening, I suggest you get HDE 3-in-1 Gardening Hydroponic Tool - Plant & Flower Soil Water Light Meter for pH Acidity, Moisture & Sunlight.  It cost about $10 at Amazon.  It will prevent under or over watering.  It's cheap, helpful and requires no batteries.  I use it with my potted plants and my garden.

Good luck and have fun.

• jazzygirl
    Options

When I was in the Crestone area on my trip, there were bluebirds everywhere! I have rarely seen those in my life, but we saw flashes of bright blue everywhere we went. It was awesome!

• flaviarose
    flaviarose Member Posts: 249
    Options

Lynn, my experience with sweet william is that they only bloom once.

• Jackbirdie
    Jackbirdie Member Posts: 1,617
    Options

here are a couple from my garden this morning:

Orange columbine

Lilies

Poppy in the rock garden

• Jackbirdie
    Options

and finally, some better rock garden pics, promised long ago.

• ananda8
    Options

Jackbirdie,  Lovely pics.  I'll take some pics of my many rock areas in the morning and post.  They are still in the working stage as I struggle to find plants that deer won't eat.    I am slowly transplanting Lily of the Valley around hosta and that seems to be working so far. 

• Jackbirdie
    Options

we have a horrible deer problem here, and all of my neighbors scoffed at my deer resistant garden. Said they'd eat it all. But so far not a nibble! I have many concoctions, all organic, that I spray, lay, stick in the ground,mets. I have heard they become accustomed to certain deterrents, so I try to switch them up.

But I know I have taken a huge risk, planting this one garden outside my 6 foot fence. Outsmarting a herd ofhungry deer is no easy task on a long term basis.

• jazzygirl
    Options

Jackie- what great photos. The rock garden is coming along nicely.

Teka- I saw that type of geranium at the SF Botanical Gardens last month. Never knew there was more of a ground creeper type geraniums. My geraniums are blooming all over the place now.

Hoping to get an opening on my elephant ear cactus today to show you. It started blooming while I was away but not since I have been home. The flowers are tangerine colored!

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,880
    Options

Cranesbill is all over our front yard which is pretty shady. It's pretty when it's blooming and reseeds so we can pull it up when it gets mildew. It's definitely no maintenance here.

• ananda8
    Options

image Not surrounded by Lily of the Valley

image  Surrounded by Lily of the Valley

image The fenced vegetable garden

The pictures are a bit dark because it's very overcast and rainy.

• DayLily15
    DayLily15 Member Posts: 34
    Options

Hello gardening girls :)

love the pictures and info, and booklady's blue bonnets were amazing.

this morning - no rain last night, my patio pansies have white dots all over them, any ideas about the cause ??? the geraniums in the same pot look ok.

• DayLily15
    Options

• jazzygirl
    Options

Elephant ear cactus blooming.

• TwoHobbies
    TwoHobbies Member Posts: 1,532
    Options

I'm not sure about the spots, Daylily.  I have never seen that.  It looks like someone sprayed them with bleach!

Sweet Williams don't rebloom in my experience and if you want more Sweet Williams, you should let them go to seed.  They are a biennial so underneath the ones that are blooming you are growing the ones for next year.  I let them dry up and then I shake them as I pull them out so that the seed spread.  They are one of my favorites.  So pretty!

It looks like we are going to have a rainy cool summer.  So far we've either had muggy, warm cloudy and rain, or sunny cool days around 65 or 70!  Now I'm not complaining about those cool sunny days but I think I'm glad I didn't invest much in a garden this year. 

I love wildflowers.  I will try to post some that I have on my phone.

• DayLily15
    Options

Twohobbies you put your finger almost right on it, i remember now that i sprayed myself with bug off, outside near them they must have over spray :( must not do that again. thank you for the clue.

Sweet Williams smell so good, they do well as a cut flower in a vase. mine self seed now, so flowers every year.

jazzygirl - beautiful cactus, it looks really tall. Does it attract birds, or butterflies or something else ? i have wild honey bees [huge] and they have commandeered the raspberry patch. last week the bees were in charge of the flowering chives. lol .

Good Gardening to All :)

• jazzygirl
    Options

Daylily- it is very tall, over 6 plus feet at this point and been creeping over the wall to my neighbors property so I have to prune it back. It is located in a corner so it it grows up plus out. This type of cacti can get big really fast. They take about 5 years to produce the blooms, just like most cacti. I have four cacti in the back gardens and all have had great blooms. We had a lot of spring rain, which is unusual.

It is hot here now, temps hitting 100 the past few days so I am having to keep up with watering along with the drip system. I have had some plants "fry" so I will go get some more summer things to put in a few areas that are more heat resistant!

I hope everyone is having a nice Father's Day with their families.

• 70charger
    70charger Member Posts: 591
    Options

Her are a few of my gardens, excuse the weeds, I've been busy with kitchen cabinet refinishing. Just finished cabinets, so now I can get back to the gardens.

• 70charger
    Options

my rock garden, it's about 40 X60 ft.

my peonie bed

schizanthus

• Jackbirdie
    Options

Charger-lovely!

• jazzygirl
    Options

70 charger- your pics are beautiful. I especially love the one with the big monarch butterfly.

• ananda8
    Options

70charger,  Your garden(s) are lovely.  I especially like your rock garden.

• 70charger
    Options

Thanks. Yours are all beautiful as well. Nice to see diff plants in diff grow areas.

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,880
    Options

Charger, Thanks for identifying them. Lovely.

• Rosevalley
    Rosevalley Member Posts: 1,664
    Options

I love your garden photos! So lovely.