Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Gardening, anyone?

Options

Comments

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,931
    Options

I saw this today on FB. How about this for a garden retreat?

• Monis
    Monis Member Posts: 309
    Options

Ooooh - I could take everything out of my greenhouse and put a nice mattress in it. What a great place for an afternoon nap! It would get pretty hot during the summer though....

• jazzygirl
    Options

First yellow prickly pear bloom today. Not very open as it is an overcast day, but lovely just the same. Will share more as we go along! I have two other cacti yet to bloom!

• Jackbirdie
    Jackbirdie Member Posts: 1,617
    Options

That garden retreat looks like HEAVEN to me! Thanks for sharing

• jazzygirl
    Options

Yellow prickly pear is really blooming now. It must have about 100 buds on it. Today were the most open yet, and think it will be a lovely bloom cycle. My pink prickly pear is about finished blooming.

The cacti go on and on for awhile. I still have an elephant ear (tangerine colored flowers) and cholla (fushia colored) yet to do their thing.

• ananda8
    ananda8 Member Posts: 1,418
    Options

Just beautiful. 

• TwoHobbies
    TwoHobbies Member Posts: 1,532
    Options

I am enjoying all the pictures.  I planted my containers with my multicolored annuals.  They look really pretty but I went with one flat for $10 instead of spending $70 or more on the bigger plants.  I'll post some pictures when they get a little bigger.  I also had an idea to try sunflowers in containers.  Maybe I can outsmart the critters that way.  Keeping my fingers crossed!

• jazzygirl
    Options

TwoHobbies- I do the same with doing inexpensive flats of annuals. Not worth spending the money on things that won't return for another year. I put more into my perennial purchases. I love my potted plants.

• Rosevalley
    Rosevalley Member Posts: 1,664
    Options

Ohh I love lilacs! Ours just finished blooming. I have the lavender and white. My neighbor has a dark purple, all smell super. Love the photos.

• jazzygirl
    Options

Teka- beautiful lilacs. I love the blooms and the fragrance. My neighbors have them and they bloomed her in April and are long gone. Enjoy the aroma, nothing better!

Ocotillo's require some room and I don't have the right space in my yard for that (unless something dies, which I hope it does not!) I enjoy the neighbors ocotillo every year.

• jazzygirl
    Options

Teka- they can so they need to be watered daily. All my other plants, trees and shrubs are on a drip system so they get a daily dose of water. When I travel, I have either my neighbor or someone I pay to watch my house help with that.

I just finished watering them this morning! It is a beautiful day out there!

• footprintsangel
    footprintsangel Member Posts: 35,657
    Options

They are still beautiful to me

My tomatoes are going good with the 80 degree weather,

I hope it rains tomorrow for my herbs.

• 70charger
    70charger Member Posts: 591
    Options

So I got my garden into the dust. Super dry. Coyote dug up my beets. Had a rain storm last night. Pounding  storm with golf ball size hail. But the hail was like a slushie, just left a big slushie when it hit the ground. Some plants are broken, lots flattened. Plants are very stunted this year due to being so dry. Lady slippers are blooming, will post pic later. They are really small this yr. U guys gardens are so ahead of mine. Our season is so short. Luv the pics. Keep them coming.

• quiltlibrarian
    quiltlibrarian Member Posts: 31
    Options

I also got the lovely rain this morning. I still have plants to put in my planters. The gold fish are out in there ponds and are happy. The garden is starting to grow.

Happy gardening everyone

• TwoHobbies
    Options

Sorry about the hail, 70charger. It can do a number on plants.

I am happy to report I have three sunflowers in containers and so far , not eaten. I wish I could say the same for my petunias. The bunny seems to like them ! I'm very close to having my front and side yards planted, weeded, and mulched and hopefully the maintenance will be low enough that I can start tacking the backyard beds.

• quiltlibrarian
    Options

Hello Gardeners, I have learned that my second mastectomy is going to be sooner than planned. June or July so another gardening year to be shorter. Two years in a row. Oh well last one to worry about.

Hugs

• footprintsangel
    footprintsangel Member Posts: 35,657
    Options

I found the biggest slug in my garden today and is in

slug heaven. 

Good luck quiltlirarian  I planted pots on my porch alot

this year.

• jazzygirl
    Options

Quilt- did you have a reoccurrence? I am sorry to hear about another surgery.

Foots- during all the rains in May, I found the most awesome snail outside one day. It is usually too dry here for slugs or snails.

• Jackbirdie
    Options

Quiltlibrarian- best of luck, thinking of you. Not the kind of news we want, but if you have to do it the sooner the better, I think.

• jazzygirl
    Options

Photo of cholla cactus starting it's bloom.

• Jackbirdie
    Options

gorgeous color!

• quiltlibrarian
    Options

Thank you Ladies. This time it is preventive. The first time no choice. Glad that I have all the garden planted, and for the time being weeded. lol. I will let you know when the surgery will be done.

Bye for now.

• jazzygirl
    Options

Quilt- do keep us posted. We will be in your pocket when you go in and when you come out.

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    Options

Teka, my lemon lilies are blooming also. I was so happy to read your post. My mother "acquired" these lemon lilies, probably 60 years ago. I've never run into anyone else who has them, or knows they are fragrant.

Your blue and white iris are absolutely lovely and I immediately began visualizing them next to my purple Siberian iris!

Poor fawn. So happy he's OK. Perhaps they'll consider your garden bad karma and stay away from your veggies?

• jazzygirl
    Options

Teka- love your gardens. I never knew chives bloomed with purple flowers until recently. Do you use the fresh chives in salads, etc?

Also loved the story about your DH helping the young fawn. Good karma!

• jazzygirl
    Options

Teka- oh yum! My mom used to make that, but never had it with fresh chives.

• TwoHobbies
    Options

I'm looking for some suggestions for mid summer blooming perennials. I have a beautiful spring display. My magnolia blooms, then the creeping phlox and crab apple, next the salvia and sea thrifts and irises. Right now I have wisteria blooms, daisies and the salvia still blooming and when they are done I mostly have the annuals for color. I'm looking for something perennial to add. Any suggestions? It need to be pretty sun tolerant and not need constant watering.

• Jackbirdie
    Options

Teka- Beautiful. work and pictures. How you must treasure your lemon lilies.

I am super jealous

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,877
    Options

Two Hobbies, Petunias? Geraniums? Lavender? Ours is a big spring celebration and then a dry green period. We have rugosa roses that bloom their little heads off. Not good for bouquets, but nice in the garden. They are very hardy and don't need any of the pampering of the others.

• jazzygirl
    Options

Twohobbies- I have two of these sort of shrubby perennials called a guara and they really like the sunshine. This pink one was planted last summer and got really big (like 3-4 feet tall) and got another purple one for the back yard this spring and it is doing great too. If you want something more shrubby, this one will do great!

I will think about some other things good for a sunny spot!