Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Gardening, anyone?

Options

Comments

• flaviarose
    flaviarose Member Posts: 249
    Options

imageJapanese maple with lilacs

imageLilac

• Jackbirdie
    Jackbirdie Member Posts: 1,617
    Options

Japanese Maples and Lilacs-

Have to have come from heaven.

Loved the photos! Thanks for sharing

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,931
    Options

Beautiful pics ladies!

We are continuing to have rounds of rain here which is making my yard happy. I hope to have some new blooms to show you soon!

• 70charger
    70charger Member Posts: 591
    Options

hope I don't offend anyone. Just
     SO cute!

• ananda8
    ananda8 Member Posts: 1,418
    Options

Made me laugh out loud.  :)

• jazzygirl
    Options

Charger- me too, that is hilarious!

• Rosevalley
    Rosevalley Member Posts: 1,664
    Options

Teka!! LOVE the wild Jack in Pulpit! Thanks for the photos. Gorgeous.

• Jackbirdie
    Options

Teka- lovely, lovely flowers. I loved the naturalized colonies, especially the columbine. And I also love the Jack in the pulpit!

• jazzygirl
    Options

Teka- what lovely flowers you have! I LOVE columbine but cannot grow them in my yard because it is just too hot. Folks up in the mountains here have them in their gardens and they also grow wild in the Rockies.

Looks like we have more rain coming this afternoon.

• lilacblue
    lilacblue Member Posts: 1,425
    Options

I shared this on the daily exercise thread and thought many of you may like this as week, (except Jazzy, sorry for the repeat).

Each night this week, BBC has a 8pm hour long programme that highlights Chelsea Flower Show. Last night they talked about Breakthrough Breast Cancer garden. The Silver Gilt Medal was won because it was so beautiful, amazing and clever. The garden is based around a DNA double helix shape represented by a beautiful stone pathway, crossed by a ribbon of soft pink planting. There are water pools that ripple up and down every 10 minutes to represent the shocking statistics of women diagnosed with breast cancer in the UK. A sculpture by Rick Kirby, is designed to symbolize the courage and dignity of all those fighting the disease and representing women who will be helped by the charity. Designer Ruth Willmott claims this garden has particular meaning to her. She lost her late sister-in-law Angela to breast cancer (triple negative) image in 2014 aged 49 years. Angela was an incredibly positive person throughout her life and Ruth wanted something positive to come from her death, so that others may benefit in the future. What a lovely memorial to Angela.

• jazzygirl
    Options

Lilac- that is beautiful. Thanks for sharing it and seeing it here first on this thread today (will be on exercise thread later today...)

• Jackbirdie
    Options

LilacBlue- Thank you for so thoughtfully describing this garden. I found both what you said and the photo very moving. Eyes welled up a bit. That is something I would truly have loved to have seen in person. Classy.

• jazzygirl
    Options

Sharing a photo of my neighbors ocotillo, which I always thought was a variety of cactus, but not so, just a desert dwelling plant. The first time I ever saw one of these was in Carlsbad, NM, home of the infamous caverns, during spring visit when it was in full bloom.

These plants are more "low desert" in nature, so I am impressed the neighbhor has been able to get this to successfully thrive here in the "high desert" where we have more seasons and a real winter. For perspective, this plant is almost 15 feet tall and the red flowers are it's bloom. I noticed the plant in all it's glory on my drive into the development and could not resist taking some pics!

I am going up to Santa Fe tomorrow and Monday for a little get away and going to their botanical gardens and will share any interesting pics from my adventures there!

• ananda8
    Options

That is a very happy Ocotillo.

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,876
    Options

I've seen fences made from ocotillo in west Tx. They tend to root and bloom after it rains.

• Jackbirdie
    Options

love New Mexico! I have traveled there several times. Really looking forward to the botanical garden report

• Jackbirdie
    Options

look at these beauties who came to say hello today! I have no clue what they are and I don't see them in my PNW bird book. I zoomed in as much as I could. Can anyone identify?

• Monis
    Monis Member Posts: 309
    Options

I just flipped through my "Birds or Oregon" book, and the only bird that looks like that is possibly the Western Tanager. The males have the red on their heads, the females do not. I don't think I've ever seen one in our yard.

• Jackbirdie
    Options

Monis- Thanks! I've come to the conclusion also that it's the Western Tanager. At first my bird book didn't convince me, but I looked online at some ID sites and saw they differ quite a bit when juvenile. They are so tropical and exotic looking. Was a very nice gift from nature today

• jazzygirl
    Options

From the Santa Fe Botanical Garden visit yesterday.

• Jackbirdie
    Options

Jazzy- what wonderful photos! You have a good eye. I especially like the one that looks like a sedum, or hens and chicks. Glad you had a nice day out

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    Options

Yes! I love the photo's also!

We went to the Denver Botanical Gardens last year, and saw the Chihuly glass exhibit! Beautiful!

We went in the fall.... the trees were gorgeous!

• Jackbirdie
    Options

Very nice! Enjoyed these! Love the fall color too!

• flaviarose
    flaviarose Member Posts: 249
    Options

imageazelea

• Monis
    Options

Besides a large variety of birds that grace our bird feeders, look who I spotted today eating bird seed that had fallen to the ground:

• Monis
    Options

Today I harvested the last of the radishes, which were going to seed. Picked our first strawberries. Lots more lettuce, spinach and kale. Peas are on the way.

imageimage

• 70charger
    70charger Member Posts: 591
    Options

I get to plant my garden today!

Luv the pics!

• ananda8
    Options

We had another Spring storm although not as strong as Texas and Oklahoma, but strong enough to beat up my peonies.

• Jackbirdie
    Options

Monis! What a lovely, tidy garden!

And wo, those poor peonies. Among my very favorites

• Rosevalley
    Rosevalley Member Posts: 1,664
    Options

Monis I love your greenhouse did you build it yourself? We have raised beds too.. our spinach just went to seed. Lettuce, egg plant, broccoli and tomatoes doing reallywell. The other night I yelled to keep the dogs in because the smell of skunk was so strong! It came in through the bedroom window. Some folks leave food out for their cats.. we have lots of raccoons and skunks and possums here. Baby skunks are so cute! Unless they spray your dog, then not so cute.

Love the bird pictures. Chevy I remember when you went there and shared those photos! I loved seeing them again. The BC memorial in the UK was lovely and the ripples in the water to show how many die a year sobbering, a lovely tribute. Jazzy your garden pictures are super. Some Day I will see New Mexico. Such blue skies that go on for ever. Thank you all for sharing your world! Love the photos!!!

I had to go back and correct.. mispellings,, wrong tenses oy.. ugh.. When we moved to the West Coast in 1989 we drove through Arches National Park in March and the entire desert was in bloom. I'll never forget it. Indian Paintbrush, yellow cactus flowers, all kinds of plants I had never seen and those amazing rock formations... so unreal and striking. Sadly I have never been back, but I hear Bryces National Park is even more stunning.