Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Gardening, anyone?

Options

Comments

• 70charger
    70charger Member Posts: 591
    Options

This is an Asiatic from last year.

• Jackbirdie
    Jackbirdie Member Posts: 1,617
    Options

So lovely. Unusual color

• OncoWarrior
    OncoWarrior Member Posts: 3,326
    Options

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,876
    Options

Anemone? Not fully open yet.

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    Options

I think so too--foliage does not match a blue poppy. Those are the only two potential matches I can think of.

• Rosevalley
    Rosevalley Member Posts: 1,664
    Options

Teka- apple blossums are my favorite. My DD asked me once what my favorite colors were and I replied pink and green. My DD made a face - I said you know that light icy pink with pale green like crab apple blossums in Spring! I just melt it's so lovely. Love the photos.

I thought I might comeover here since I love plants and gardens and not everyone shares my interests. The rock garden is coming along nicely. We have had such a warm Spring this year, very unusual for Western Oregon.

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,931
    Options

Hi Rose- welcome to our gardening thread!

• jazzygirl
    Options

My yellow primrose blooming. The flowers tend to be more underneath right now, but I am amazed how much this planting from last year came back with gusto.

• ananda8
    ananda8 Member Posts: 1,418
    Options

We haven't seen a big, round bottom honey bee in a couple of years.  We have a small, slim be that pollinate our flowers but that's it.  I guess we will wait until there are no longer honey bees in North America before we wake up to the fact that honey bees are being killed by insecticides and mites.

• jazzygirl
    Options

Ananda- I have tons of those bees in my yard. They love my cactus blooms, and when the chaste tree bush is in full bloom, the whole corner of that part of the yard just "hums."

However, I agree about the bees and understand they are banning the pesticides now known to be killing our bee friends.

I have this way cool t-shirt with bees on it. I work it last weekend and everybody kept commenting on it. Everyone loves the bees.

• ananda8
    Options

The borage that I plant near my tomatoes used to hum with bees.  Perhaps it will again.  I certainly hope so.  BTW borage will keep tomato cut worms away.  Those are the large green caterpillars with black markings that can strip a plant of leaves in one night. 

• flaviarose
    flaviarose Member Posts: 249
    Options

imagecrabapple

• Rosevalley
    Rosevalley Member Posts: 1,664
    Options

We still have lots of honey bees, bumble bees and mason bees. We put out one of the wooden hives for the mason bees. Still there have been several huge die offs of bumble bees that hit the evening news.. all from spraying flowering trees. They banned the one spray. Lots of things on the local news about hive preservation, colony collapse and capturing swarms. There are so many millions of fruit trees and fruit bushes/vines crops here that this state would be devastated if the bees left. We treat our bees like they were heaven sent!

People need to view Bees = food!

• flaviarose
    Options

imageAnother shot of crabapple

• flaviarose
    Options

imageWada's memory magnolia

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,876
    Options

Flavia, Is that a full size house behind the crabapple or a shed? The tree is just gorgeous.

• ananda8
    Options

Flaviarose,  Such a beautiful tree and such a lovely property.  More pictures please.

This thread is so calming.  There is so much wrong in the world, this is one place where I can see things grow and thrive because of love and attention.  Thank you all.

• flaviarose
    Options

It is a garden shed behind the crabapple.

• flaviarose
    Options

image another magnolia photo from last year

• Jackbirdie
    Options

beautiful. Thank you.

• flaviarose
    Options

imagehanging basket with petunias

• jazzygirl
    Options

Wow, I LOVE that hanging basket. Outstanding!

• 70charger
    70charger Member Posts: 591
    Options

my trees hum. I live 2 doors down from a honey farm!! Guess what I have, tons of bees. Love the pics, keep them coming.

• OncoWarrior
    OncoWarrior Member Posts: 3,326
    Options

• TwoHobbies
    TwoHobbies Member Posts: 1,532
    Options

I feel like I see fewer bees too.  But then in the fall they are totally swarming my sedums, so perhaps they just visit other plants the rest of the summer. 

Beautiful pictures flaviarose.  I do a lot of containers and I think I might want to do multicolor this year.  I have tons of purple in my front yard and some fuchsia/pink so I've always kept to those colors but I just kind of want to go all out wild color this year.  

• TwoHobbies
    Options

imagenot mine but an inspiration from the botanic garden for my back deck

• TwoHobbies
    Options

My cherry tree a couple of weeks ago. I feel like the photo does not capture it's beauty. Not sure if it's the camera or the photographer! image

• Jackbirdie
    Options

two hobbies- both are great pics! I enjoyed them and thx for sharing!

I started a brand new garden about six months ago (just before dx) and for fun I decided to do orange and white ( of course green foliage too). I am a hopelessly impulsive gardening shopper and I just realized today my garden is already starting to look like your inspiration garden container. It looks great. I did end up with some dominant colors and repetition by at least starting with that plan so it's all good. I think of it as my cancer garden. Not in a bad way but cancer changed me and it's changing the way I garden. I want to bring more life in. Or even birds. More hummers. Butterflies. I want life

• TwoHobbies
    Options

Jackbirdie its so funny you say that because that's kind of what I was thinking too.  Since cancer I want to be my "wild child" (thank you Kenny Chesney for putting it into words), full of life, full of color, warmer, fiery, not just coloring inside the lines.  That's how I want my gardens to look.  Not to insult my pretty purples and pinks, but I do just want to add the yellow and orange to warm it up.  

Hummers love my coral bells, fuchsias, clematis, calibrachoa, and foxglove.  They even liked my sunflowers, perhaps because I had some that had the reddish coloring in them. 

• MagicalBean
    MagicalBean Member Posts: 192
    Options

Holy smokes, your photos are all so beautiful. We seem to have quite a variety of sizes and shapes of gardens.

My Master Gardner classes are about half-way done. I was surprised at the amount of technical info and I definitely should have stayed awake in 8th grade science. Fortunately, all quizzes and the final exam are take-home. Each one of us also must do an hour-long presentation to the current MGs. It will require a lot of research.

Nothing here has flowered yet-except for the spring regulars (tulips, cherry trees, etc) But my perennials are greening up nicely. Looking forward to rearranging a few beds in the next couple of weeks. Enjoy your week, and thanks for sharing.