Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

List of what to do/get/pack to prep for Radiation Therapy

Options

Comments

• Chenning
    Chenning Member Posts: 3
    edited August 2015
    Options

Hi there,

I started radiation last week, had my sixth treatment today. I wanted to say thank you so much for this amazing list it has been so helpful!!

My rads doc said that I shouldn't be using anything on right side unless I need it. I started day one with the Aloe at the office and then I came home and slathered on coconut oil and lavender oil. The docs office only recommend Aloe and Aquaphor. I'm ordering the emu oil in the hopes it will keep my skin from getting too damaged.

Just wondering if emu oil helped the skin better than any of the other lotions listed?

Thank you, again for this very informative list. It made my first day a lot less scary!

Chris

• Zoritsa
    Zoritsa Member Posts: 6
    edited August 2015
    Options

Like Chris above me, I am so grateful that this list was made, so thank you to all who contributed. My first week was the middle of last week, and I didn't meet with the Dr. until yesterday, so I had no information on what I should or shouldn't be using. The Dr. was wonderful yesterday though and gave me a lotion to use, but also said I could use some of the other products on the list here.

• Luttece
    Luttece Member Posts: 4
    edited September 2015
    Options

hi There!

I started radiation this week and I was told to stay away from Green tea which I have been drinking since my diagnosis. Does that interfere with radiation??

• ksusan
    ksusan Member Posts: 461
    edited September 2015
    Options

Green tea has antioxidants, which can potentially interfere with active medical cancer-fighting strategies. I was told I could have a cup a day, no matcha, during chemo and radiation, and could restart it when I restarted my antioxidant supplements after radiation. Different docs have different standards for this, but there's a range. It seems like all who say anything about it say to decrease or discontinue during active treatment.

• Keys-Plez
    Keys-Plez Member Posts: 190
    edited September 2015
    Options

My RO said no antioxidant supplements during radiation. Antioxidants bind with free radicals and thus reduce their numbers. It's the free radicals produced by radiation that are fighting your cancer cells. So antioxidants reduce the effectiveness of radiation therapy.

• Becki1218
    Becki1218 Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2015
    Options

I haven't heard about the antioxidants before. Does that include high antioxidant foods, or just supplements? During summer i can eat a pint of blueberries a day!

• ksusan
    ksusan Member Posts: 461
    edited September 2015
    Options

I was told no supplements and not too much green tea, but foods were okay.

• Keys-Plez
    edited September 2015
    Options

My RO said if it came in food that was fine, but no supplements. It's probably best that you ask your personal RO. We all have cancer, but we're all different.

• trichick1964
    trichick1964 Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2015
    Options

I was just diagnosed and considering all my options, radiation being the standard protocol. Thanks to all of you who so willingly share your knowledge and experience with the rest of us coming up in the ranks.

• lindab142
    lindab142 Member Posts: 76
    edited September 2015
    Options

Had my lumpectomy last Friday and I'm recovering. Napping every day, watching TV and not doing much housework, which is OK. Have help. I'll be seeing my surgeon for followup next Friday and then 2 weeks later for another and to talk about radiation.

My questions are about going back to work part-time before radiation and then I don't know what to do during radiation. If anyone has any advice, suggestions, I'd appreciate your sharing. I have some vacation time left and I'm on FMLA, but I need to be paid. I don't want to jeopardize my FMLA by going back too soon, but I'm the primary wage earner in the family.

Why do we need radiation if they removed the cancer?

• ORknitter
    ORknitter Member Posts: 58
    edited September 2015
    Options

I can only speak from my own experience, but I worked all through radiation with very little problem. I was told the reason for radiation was to "get any cancer cell that may have escaped." I work full time though at a computer so not physical although I learned that I move my left arm more than I thought.

Hope your recovery goes smoothly for you.

• Keys-Plez
    edited September 2015
    Options

I also worked through radiation for 28 sessions. I just finished Friday. I have a computer job in a control center. I didn't miss a single day. My appt was after work. I liked that because then I could go straight home afterwards.

I put a video of one of my sessions on you tube at

https://youtu.be/TgJLgHBKRD4

This was my 27th session.

• lindab142
    edited October 2015
    Options

Thanks OR and Keys - I'm glad you shared that you worked and had no problems. On another thread they're talking about cooling towels and lotions. Think I'll just let it go until radiation is actually scheduled.

• ORknitter
    ORknitter Member Posts: 58
    edited October 2015
    Options

Keys, your video is wonderful! My machine was slightly different but the movements were the same. I was in awe over the machine, lying under it not so much.

• Keys-Plez
    edited October 2015
    Options

How does FMLA work? I know it's 12 weeks per year. Can you turn it on and off? Can you use it part time?

• lindab142
    edited October 2015
    Options

Keys - My company has its own policy and forms which the HR person keeps emailing me instead of answering questions directly.

The forms we have allow for 1) a block of time and a return to work date and 2) an intermittant schedule "If you need to be off of work temporarily for intermittent periods of time or need to work temporarily on a part-time basis, please explain your needs as specifically as you can."

They send forms to your Dr. to fill once after you fill out your part.

I suggest you be as specific as possible when talking to the person at your Doctor's office filling out the forms - I have 3 different return dates with no limits even though I requested to work from home for 3 days this week.

My company requires that I use sick, PTO or vacation time for FMLA first. We don't have short-term disability. Otherwise, it's an unpaid leave.

I hope this helps a little ...

Linda

• marijen
    marijen Member Posts: 2,181
    edited March 2016
    Options

This sounds horrible! I like the long T-shirt idea! No changing, throw on your sweater and go? I haven't started yet.

• Keys-Plez
    edited October 2015
    Options

lindab...I mentioned that I appt was after work so I could go straight home afterwards. When I got home, the first thing I did was crash on the couch and apply my cooling towel. On two occasions the center rescheduled my appt for in the morning. I had to go back to work afterwards. I was miserable without my towel. It just makes sense to me. The radiation physically heats up your breast. Heats equals damage. It's like a roast. It keeps cooking after you turn off the oven.

I hope you ladies fair as well as I. Just listen to your body, your techs and use common sense. You cannot stop how you may react, but if you can tip the scales a little bit....

• marijen
    marijen Member Posts: 2,181
    edited March 2016
    Options

if anti-oxidants are bad, wouldn't they be bad all of the time - if we want free radicals killing cancer. Gee whiz I have upped my anti-oxidant intake big time with fruits and things. Is that what caused my cancer to progress? Surgeon said it probably started growing 20 years ago

• lindab142
    edited October 2015
    Options

After next week, I hope to get the results of the oncotype report so we know what treatment will be next. After reading the radiation thread, I'm not convinced that I want to get it done. The side effects sound so horrible. I'm already exhausted and have "cancer brain." Doc said I could meet with RO and decide. It's not a for sure thing.

• Simplicity
    Simplicity Member Posts: 723
    edited October 2015
    Options

Morning everyone! I just started rad's on 10/14. Lindab-Which rad thread?? I'm only on my 10 treatment today, but so far, side effects are....tolerable? Im not sure if my fatigue is my life or the rads lol I have a faint red square around the treatment area already but the nurse says it looks more tan than burnt.

Did you get your results yet?

• Hopeful56
    Hopeful56 Member Posts: 7
    edited October 2015
    Options

I did 36 rounds of radiation. Started 2 weeks after I finish chemo. So as the time went on I felt much better than I did at the beginning of radiation. I blistered but had no pain because I was numb. I worked all through radiation. I really didn't do anything different while doing radiation and for me it was a breeze compared to chemo.

• queenmomcat
    queenmomcat Member Posts: 2,020
    edited October 2015
    Options

Simplicity: there are several reasonably active radiation threads--usually one per month/season for people starting then. Take your pick; I've followed a few and they've all been welcoming (Fall might be a logical choice for you?)

Linda: by what amount would radiation treatment reduce your chances of recurrence?

• Simplicity
    Simplicity Member Posts: 723
    edited October 2015
    Options

Thanks Queen. I'll check them out.

I'm not Linda, but my rad onc said from 30-40% down to 10%

• cuddyclothes
    cuddyclothes Member Posts: 98
    edited November 2015
    Options

Thank you so much for this video! I'm on my third treatment, and have been very curious to know what it all looks like. I lie on my stomach, with my left breast hanging down.

• lindab142
    edited December 2015
    Options

I met with the RO. Radiation would reduce risks from 25% down to 5%, so I'm going to do it. Tomorrow I have my CAT scan and plan treatments.

• Trainwreck54
    Trainwreck54 Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2016
    Options

I finished the accelerated 3-week series a year ago. My RO had me use a very simple and inexpensive regimen of ordinary 10% cortisone cream followed by Vanicream (or another moisturizer without fragrance, color or certain preservatives) in the evening, and plain old cornstarch in the morning.

I did have a significant skin reaction, with tanning, peeling, really sore skin for about 3 weeks after I finished; I believe this had more to do with the 16-session protocol-I was getting 3/4 of the regular dose in 1/2 the time so each session was "stronger" than the usual.

My hospital's gowns were nice and soft, and I also got one of those marvelous heated blankets to wrap around my shoulders, which was then pulled over me during the treatment. There really wasn't any need for me to bring anything else to wear.

The people administering my treatments were some of the nicest, most competent and compassionate I've ever met.

• Hnin
    Hnin Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2016
    Options

Hello..

I am a new member ..

my type is invasive duct carcinoma grade 2 and I'd already done mastectomy . The biopsy result shown HER 2 ( ICH 2+). Now , I am treating with chemotherapy. Dose it enough ? I am worry. Do I need to treat by radiation?

• bellhouse7
    bellhouse7 Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2016
    Options

I had my thyroid removed 2 weeks go due to cancer, mastectomy both breats with lymph nodes in December. willstart chemo jan 22, radiation for the thyroid in February, which is puzzling, they gave me a list of things to be aware of on this radiation, stay away from my family 2 weeks, using the toilet, etc. what???

• Wainwright
    Wainwright Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2016
    Options

Bell, that's the radioactive Iodine treatment for the thyroid; it makes you radioactive for a short time. And yes, you can set off a Geiger counter (kinda neat).

The radiation therapy used to the breasts for BC won't make you radioactive so you won't need isolation. I'll be going through the same soon. Good luck