Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo September 2015; join us!

Options

Comments

• Judi1952
    Judi1952 Member Posts: 20
    Options

Judi, 9-24

• octogirl
    octogirl Member Posts: 2,434
    Options

adding you, Judi

Thanks so much CarolinaAmy...going to take the stool softener now, as you recommend!

Octogirl

• TFoxy20
    TFoxy20 Member Posts: 47
    Options

I am jumping in but still need to get caught up with all the comments. I am starting chemo this month but the date is still TBD. I have a little control over when I start. I will update when we get a plan. I most likely will be doing TCX4 with lupron.

I am 33 with a almost 2 year old daughter. My biggest worry is how I am going to take care of my daughter when my husband works.

I already see some familiar names from July surgery board.

• jabe
    jabe Member Posts: 165
    Options

New to the boards. Just found out I'm starting TC on 9/6 (4 times every 3 weeks). Scared and overwhelmed by everything from managing possible side effects to rescheduling things and not interfering too much with my 9 year old daughter's routine.

• teacherhikermom
    teacherhikermom Member Posts: 42
    Options

CarolinaAmy, my experience has been almost identical to yours except perhaps I am having a bit more trouble getting back on my feet. Good to hear I am not the only one with EPIC constipation, exhaustion like being hit by a bus, etc.

For interested parties, the way I FINALLY resolved the constipation was multiple stool softners+dulcolax. It sounds harsh but I was so backed up that is just basically resolved things. Next time I will be more proactive because the constipation was super uncomfortable.

My scalp is also feeling painful/tingly and my hair looks like crap (I've always had really nice thick strong long brown hair). I am going to shave it this weekend.

I feel like I've come through the worst of it. For women a few days behind me, you can do it. You will get through this. There is a light at the end of the tunnel!

• CarolinaAmy
    CarolinaAmy Member Posts: 215
    Options

Agreed, teacherhiker! Hang in there, ladies who are a few days behind. It will ease up soon!

Mine is getting painful/tingly, too. I'm also noticing what seem like pimples all over my face that are now creeping onto my scalp. Like I really need that on top of everything else. GRRR. If I'm gonna be bald and go through premature menopause, there'd better not be acne! LOL

• LindyC
    LindyC Member Posts: 210
    Options

Met with oncologist today. Abdominal ultrasound and bone scan came back clean..yay! I got my pills for nausea and stocked up on other essentials and lots and lots of laxatives and softeners ..lol..got plugged up after surgery and it was hell. Please not again! My infusion is tomorrow afternoon and as awful as the next few months are going to be, lets just get this going. No port for me. Doc thinks I'll be fine with IV only. We shall see. Sooner it starts, the sooner its done. Good luck to all.

• Shopgal2
    Shopgal2 Member Posts: 594
    Options

Yeah I have some weird pimples on my forehead too. Never had acne ever. Anyone else have this? For those that started this week hope it is going ok. Hey Octogirl I added my kicking cancer butt neon Nike sneakers as my avatar.

• octogirl
    Options

LindyC: I was worried about not getting a port either but it was just fine....the nurse was very efficient in finding the vein in my hand. I needn't have worried about that and I hope it goes as well for you! edited to add: I believe drinking lots of water and staying hydrated both makes it easier to find the vein and helps with constipation, so yet more reasons to do both.

Hugs, Octogirl

• teacherhikermom
    Options

Yes to the acne. I am broken out like a teenager who binged on pizza. Dammnit cancer!

• AnnieB43
    AnnieB43 Member Posts: 724
    Options

I finally ate something. The decadron is leaving so my gut feels a little better. Now I'm getting a mega sore throat. Open house for 1st grade tomorrow. I hope I'm up for it. I made my husband dinner now I'm exhausted. I don't have time for cancer and my emotional health is suffering today. I need to pull it together.

• flower68
    flower68 Member Posts: 114
    Options

Yay octogirl and Lila one down, hope you ladies have an excellent night.

Southerncharm glad to hear everything fine today.

Annie glad to hear you better

Getting a tad anxious about port in the am.

• Jackbirdie
    Jackbirdie Member Posts: 1,617
    Options

just wanted to let all you brave ladies know i am still here, listening, appreciating what you're going through, all at slightly different places.

Sending mojo, hugs and hope to all of you as this dumbass journey unfolds for you. You do GOT THIS!!!

• AnnieB43
    Options

I don't feel brave. I feel whiny and bitchy. I never complain and that's all I seem to be doing. Grrr it's so frustrating.

• michele1028
    michele1028 Member Posts: 4
    Options

My daughter had her port put in today and starts her chemo tomorrow. I am so frightened for her. She has 4 children under the age if 12. Any words of wisdom would would be so appreciated. She is 40 years old. Thank you from Marci's mom

• flower68
    flower68 Member Posts: 114
    Options

Hi Marci mom this is a great place and you will always find someone, just like your daughter, ready to help. Your daughter is not alone and we will be thinking about her and wishing her strength through this

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,026
    Options

Hi Jabe-

We want to welcome you to our community here at BCO. We hope you find this to be a supportive place as you navigate treatment. We know it's scary, but just know that you are not alone, and this community welcomes you!

The Mods

• twiggyOR
    twiggyOR Member Posts: 246
    Options

Welcome Marci's mom. Please encourage her to join us here! This is a safe place for us all to share our thought, fears, experiences etc. It has helped me a lot and she will realize she is not alone. I'm sure she is terrified also....we all are.

• michele1028
    Options

thank you

• michele1028
    Options

thank you

• teacherhikermom
    Options

Michele1028, I have 3 kids under 5 and I am only 35 years old so I totally appreciate your fear for your daughter, both as a mom and as a daughter myself. I keep thinking how grateful I am to be going through this instead of one of my kids.

The best thing people are doing to support me is to help with the kids. As much as I want to be, I can't be the perfect mother right now. My mom, dad, in-laws, friends, etc. are doing a ton of the burden of the kids and it is helping a lot.

I am sure it hurts my parents to see how hard this is for me because they love me but they are letting me lay my burden on them and relying on others to lay their burden on, which helps as well.

This LA Times Article about the concept of pushing the burden out has been very helpful.

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/apr/07/opinion/la-oe-0407-silk-ring-theory-20130407

• Italychick
    Italychick Member Posts: 527
    Options

michele1028 my daughter doesn't have cancer but has two toddlers. The best thing I think I do for her is take them for a day and literally wear them out so much all they want to do is get a bath and go to bed. She said those days mom has given her a get out of jail card because she goes home, puts them to bed, and has the evening free. Keeping things as normal as possible for the kids I think is really important. I'm not sure if you are able to do that for her, but it is a greatly appreciated thing.

Of course they wear me out too, but it is a great kind of tired.

• michele1028
    Options

thank you teachethikermom. Your words were very helpful and I will read that article. Good luck to you.

• octogirl
    Options

I do have to report that I did notice what may be a side effect (I think from the steroids?) during dinner tonight: I started to have trouble swallowing. Not huge trouble but enough to be annoying. Yet another reason to ALWAYS have water on hand and to drink lots of liquids (I found myself needing a sip after each bite). I also ate less than usual just because I was chewing everything for so long. While I am not at all nauseated, and was hungry, the solution I think is more smaller meals, more often.

Ice cream goes down well, but I don't really want to eat it until I see how my lower GI tract does. It tends to give me gas even in the best of times...

Any other ideas on how to deal with the swallowing issue?

Michelle, I second the suggestions to encourage your daughter to join us. The women on this board have been a life saver for me!

hope all have a good night. Good luck to those starting tomorrow, will be thinking of you! xoxox

Octogirl

• Italychick
    Italychick Member Posts: 527
    Options

octogirl report the swallowing thing to your MO. I had that happen a few times and they watched it and were going to send me for a swallow evaluation if it continued. Stupid remedy I think, but I rubbed Vicks on my throat. I don't know if it did anything or not, but I will try about anything

• twiggyOR
    twiggyOR Member Posts: 246
    Options

My wig. My profile picture is my real hair.

• AG3
    AG3 Member Posts: 71
    Options

octogirl - had the same issue with swallowing same day of chemo. Had to go to ER because I thought it was an allergic reaction:( called my onco from the ER and he(and ER doc) prescribed Benadryl

Next day my ears were popping too.onco checked me out and said it was nasal drip. Cepacol, salt water rinse, and Claritin were prescribed .

• mom2boo_and_buzz
    mom2boo_and_buzz Member Posts: 133
    Options

twiggy youtlook great! I would never be able to tell.

Southern charm my daughter offered to cut her hair as well and I said no way also. She has an incredible mane of red curls and isa in her HS choir. When she performs I want to see her hair flip =-O . I'm glad you did OK with the port. It does make getting chemotherapy easy but for those who aren't getting one, I did not see anyone getting it in their vein have a problem. It looked like they put a warm pack on the back of their hand for a little while before they put it in and made them comfortable resting that hand on a pillow.

I had a long day,basically 9 to 5 at the dr office. They didn't give steroids for yesterday so it took a while to get a script to double the IV. I also had to wait for the results the echo before they could give me the herceptin and perjeta. No reactions or side effects yet 😃 one thing that helped me was listening to guided imagery when the chemo was going in. A friend bought me one CD for chemo and I bought another for cancer. I reclined the chair all the way and ignored the rest of the room.

Good luck to everyone starting tomorrow and those dealing with side effects!

• octogirl
    Options

mom2....glad your day went relatively well other than the steroids mix up! Speaking of which, I am feeling them at 2 in the morning my time. Fell asleep no problem, but wide awake in the middle of the night! Argh! Steroids are definitely a mixed blessing...

Nice wig, Twiggy!

Thanks for the feedback on the swallowing issue. I will report to MO. It seems a little better now, and I will be taking Claritan to counter act bone pain from neuprogen (first shot this afternoon), but good to let the doctor know and see if I need anything else. It isn't bad, just annoying but I would like them to know.

I think the port would be needed if I was going to do more ejections, but yes, the vein worked fine. The veins in my hands are very prominent anyway. (Of course they are using the non-Lx side only). They gave me heating pad to warm the hand up, and a pillow).

Hugs to all and will see if I can get back to sleep!

Octogirl

• AnnieB43
    Options

I have 2 autistic kids ages 4 and 6. This would be 2 Mt Everest ascents without my mom. She watches kids, helps my husband when he needs a break and last night she brought me over oatmeal cookies. Moms are essential!