Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo September 2015; join us!

Options

Comments

• mom2boo_and_buzz
    mom2boo_and_buzz Member Posts: 133
    Options

Hi, I'm joining you ladies on this healing journey. A month ago I went to the Dr. to check out a painful lump and here I am many tests and worries later starting chemo on Wednesday. Like most of you said, I can't really believe it, I want it to go away and most of all I don't like what it is doing to my family. DH and I have been married 23 years and I have a 14yo DD and 12yo DS. Every few days DD cries hysterically in my arms and DS acts out. DH goes for a run so he can relieve his stress and be there for me.. We have a lot of great family and friends who have already made us meals and set up meals for chemo days. One of my daughter's good friends mom has been such a blessing to me. She had BC 7 years ago and has helped walk me through what is to come. I still have so many questions.

I had the power port put in last Thursday and I am still sore. I had twilight sleep and didn't conk out until after I felt a lot of pressure so they had probably already cut.. I was happy to be able to leave an hour later. I used ice on Thursday and Friday and slept on the couch because I could not get enough pillows behind me to sleep comfortably in bed. They didn't give me any pain meds so I used tylenol and that helped.

I took my kids with me to look at wigs. My DD is a gorgeous redhead ( I have brown hair) so I tried on a wig her color, we laughed because it did not look good at all! I'm hoping that if I approach it with humor they will handle it better. I would like to find a good wig shop, this was just at the oncology center with what they had to give away.

This is my first post, filling out my dx and treatments I realized that there is a lot about my cancer that I don't know. I was told it's stage 3 but how do I know if it's A or B? This is all so much to take in during this short period of time!

• flower68
    flower68 Member Posts: 114
    Options

Southerncharm my radionc said 60-65% patients have a complete clinical/path remission and they find nothing at the time of the surgery. In another thread a lady told me about her complete response too. Yes I wanted out of me too, no pain today and I felt great

• flower68
    Options

L1923189258CassieCatCAJoined: Aug 2014Posts: 1,160

Post a reply

Sep 4, 2015 06:46PM CassieCat wrote:

flower, best of luck to you. I was triple positive with one positive node, and TCHP completely eradicated all traces of cancer. By the time I had surgery there was no cancer to be found in any of my pathology, and my PET scan was clear too. I am wishing you all the best and tons of hope!!!

43 years old at dx. 6 rounds of TCHP (DONE 12/15/14), MX on left side (DONE 1/9/15), radiation (DONE 4/1/15), Herceptin (DONE 8/19/15) and Tamoxifen (5 years).Dx 8/19/2014, IDC, Left, 2cm, Grade 2, 1/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Sotherncharm this is what CassieCat wrote

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,025
    Options

Hi All, and welcome to all the newbies who have joined today, and posted their experiences. Understanding the diagnosis is very challenging. We are posting this link, in case it could be helpful: Understanding your diagnosis

We're here for you and waiting to hear how it is going for each of you!

• flower68
    Options

Southerncharm hoping for some shrinkage for my 9/24 bday

• edwsmom
    edwsmom Member Posts: 270
    Options

I am having chemo first before surgery. I start chemo on the 17th.

I have a business trip out west this week to present at a client's board meeting, now that it's here I don't want to go. I don't want to be away from home right now. It's going to be so hard to be away. :(

When I get back its cancer reality. Wig shopping, port surgery then first chemo....life is so surreal right now.

• meadow
    meadow Member Posts: 998
    Options

Ladies, Hello! I had chemo and joined the Sept. 2013 group, I am 2 years out from starting treatment, a year plus from finishing treatment, and I am NED, or no evidence of disease. As we are never considered "cured", this is what we strive for. I am wanting to share this with you as you are all in the fight, and I remember it seemed like it would never end. But I am here to tell you that one day soon, cancer will not be the first thing you think of when you wake up in the morning, or even think about it all day. I am sure that sounds impossible, but it is true. I am so very glad you all have joined this thread, Our Sept 2013 group is a real sisterhood, and we all still support and love each other very much. I know you are and will continue to be a great support and blessing for each other. Hang in there, good health is to be had again. Fight hard, stay positive, ask for prayers from loved ones and friends. I found these things to be significant in my journey and in kicking cancer. I asked a hands on therapist at the start of my chemo...."How should I view my cancer? should I hate it? should I be angry at my cancer? It is part of my body...How should I feel to rid myself of it? I do not do well with negative thoughts, and I most definitely want the cancer gone...what should my state of mind be?? She told me two words that resonated in my heart and still are with me. She said, "Love heals". That made so much sense to me. I found a way to still love my body, not loving the cancer, but staying positive, not afraid, not sad or depressed. I hope that makes sense to you, and I hope it helps. Hugs to you all.

• tessu
    tessu Member Posts: 1,294
    Options

I just want to thank everybody here for sharing their experiences, giving support, and helping me feel I'm not completely alone and clueless through all this. I get my first dose of chemo (Herceptin followed by Taxotere) this Thursday.

So many of you have mentioned ports; I asked, here they just put the iv into your good arm's hand veins. I unfortunately read what happens if Taxotere leaks out into the tissue, and ..... shouldn't have. A lot of my anguish since finding my lump 24.7.15 has been the result of reading up on my type of bc, its prognosis and treatment as much as I can, and that has been a mistake --- but I can't seem to stop myself. Reading tons about anything and everything that interests me is just the way I've always been. :(

• here2win
    here2win Member Posts: 15
    Options

here2win 9/9

• starsarestars
    starsarestars Member Posts: 30
    Options

Hi all,

I'm all packed and ready to go...........

Living up in a small town by Lake Tahoe, I decided to go to San Fracisco to get the best medical care. It's been since July 1st that I found out I have breast cancer. After multiple biopsies, MRIs, ct scans, echo scans and doctors appointments I finally know I am BRCA2 positive and have a 3+ BC (E+P+Her2+). My 1st chemo treatment is Wednesday. Every 3 weeks for 6x I'll get TCHP. I'm just trying to find out all the info I can and stay strong and positive to get through chemo. 1 step at a time here. Then I can worry about my multiple surgeries next year after this is over.

I have decided to use the Penguin Cold Caps. It sounds like a crazy freezing experience but I'm willing to go for it. It's just 1 thing I can still be in charge of for myself.

Leaving for the city in the AM. Feeling nervous and anxious. Hoping I can sleep tonight.

To all the ladies in this group- you are tough and you can get through this. We all can!!

Keep in touch!!

Melinda

• AnnieB43
    AnnieB43 Member Posts: 724
    Options

Waiting for a call back from MO. Decadron is kicking my ass. I took last night's dose and my abdomin has blown up like a hot air balloon. 12 hours I am in a lot of pain. The nurse said hmmm that's not listed here as a side effect. Well go ask the doctor moron I'm dying here! Ok so I didn't say it out loud but I wanted to. Waiting for a call back. I'm not taking that pill this morning. No how no way.

• octogirl
    octogirl Member Posts: 2,434
    Options

mom2b...I am also starting on Wednesday. Lots of us have start dates this week. Good luck and hope it goes well for all!

Adding you to the list mom

and Edited to add: adding you also starsarestars. Welcome! We are happy to have you join us but sorry you have to be here. It is much too long of a list. Yes, we will support each other.

Octogirl

• Meme117
    Meme117 Member Posts: 16
    Options

Hi just stopping in to say You can do it! My dx was in February, chemo in March just had surgery last month and radiation to start next week and herceptin till April. The whole cancer thing sucks no way around it and chemo sucks. But you will get thru. There will be hard days but there will be days when you feel almost normal. We all react differently to the chemo my tip is to be prepared and call your MO if you feel the meds are not working for you. And switch MOs if you are not completely happy with them. My SEs were days 3-10, stomach upset but not nausea, eat what you can because the taste and smell will be off for a lot of things. Drink fluids and sleep/rest when you need to, listen to your body. Had constipation but mostly the big D, due to perjeta. A few nails changed color but none fell out or turned black, I did put nail strengthener on every few weeks. Vision issue due to dry eyes but they didn't feel dry, eye drops helped tremendously. My hair started falling out after 1st treatment just a little bit, more if I tried to style too much eventually almost all was gone, I wore wigs for a while but summer was too hot, did bandanas and hats, I now have a little growth. Most of my eyebrows stayed, I used Brian Joseph's lash gel. My eyelashes are minimal right now, they didn't fall out till after chemo ended, apparently that's the norm, so strange. My port is still going strong, I've had no issues. The chemo did shrink my tumor .6 cm, not a lot but some. If you do neulasta, the first time was hard for me. The pain was in my major bones, I took pain meds, rested and used heating pad. The other 5x were barely anything. You will make it thru!

Tips - have support from friends and family and this group, love my march friends, be your own best advocate and listen to your body. When you feel like crying - cry, feel like screaming - scream, feel exhausted - sleep

I also found this charity to be most wonderful, my angels' cards and notes provide me with joy each week, you can sign up at

http://chemoangels.wix.com/chemo-angels-1/e-mail-campaigns/fundraiser.htm

• twiggyOR
    twiggyOR Member Posts: 246
    Options

Good luck to annieb, mom2boo, starsarestars and anyone else starting chemo today. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

• edwsmom
    edwsmom Member Posts: 270
    Options

Thinking of everyone today!

Sounds like there are quite a few of us who are triple positive. I'm interested to hear from you all since I am too.

HUGS!

• teacherhikermom
    teacherhikermom Member Posts: 42
    Options

I hate to be the Debbie Downer here but I need to do a little complaining. I had first chemo on Friday (T/C) and I still feel like shit. Like the worst flu ever. Tummy hurts, whole body hurts, can't poo, can't eat, exhausted, depressed. Hate cancer and how it is stealing my life.

• Shopgal2
    Shopgal2 Member Posts: 594
    Options

Hang in there teacherhikermom. I feel ya, esp on the flu feeling and tummy stuff. Today is the first day where I don't feel bloated and the constant burping had ceased. For the constipation if you are able to try prunes and stool softeners. They help with the brick feeling if you know what I mean. I am 2 days ahead of you and its got to get better, right? Especially since I washed my hair for the 2nd time since my 1st infusion and have the start of some hair loss. It's like my head knows what's coming and is making a break for it before it gets shaved off.

• Beachbum1023
    Beachbum1023 Member Posts: 364
    Options

Dropping in with well wishes and lots of hugs for all of you! I finished DD AC/T on 11/25 2014, and I am back to work, joined the Y and the LiveStrong program, and my hair and nails look great. I took Biotin for my nails and hair and it worked for me. Drink a lot of water, and eat and maintain your weight as best you can. I gained so be watchful of that one. It's hard to lose but I am 58. If you have any questions or just want to chat PM me. I work nights so I am always up late! Good luck, Cheryl

• flower68
    Options

Southerncharm herceptin is for one year

• mom2boo_and_buzz
    mom2boo_and_buzz Member Posts: 133
    Options

teacherhikermom, I'm sorry you feel so terrible. I hope you feel better soon. We're all going to feel that way at one time or another.

Southerncharm - I had my echo today too. It was pretty funny. The tech was the neighbor of a friend of mine. We had a nice conversation considering I was laying there in a paper top.

• meadow
    meadow Member Posts: 998
    Options

Southern charm, I am so glad my post helped, Thinking of you!

• flower68
    Options

Southerncharm you are beautiful!

• fidget
    fidget Member Posts: 92
    Options

Guess I'll be joining this great group of ladies for September. I begin TCHP on Tuesday the 15th. I'll get the port sometime this week. Loved my oncologist, but I'm more scared than ever. He thinks my 2.5cm lump has doubled in just a couple of weeks. It said it's very aggressive. He seemed optimistic, but cautious. He really believes in Herceptin and Perjeta. Hoping I won't be the minority for which they don't work.

• fidget
    fidget Member Posts: 92
    Options

Thanks SouthernCharm. Looks like you and I have similar stats. Let me know how that port thing goes. MO considered putting the port in my arm for about half a second, but didn't like my crappy veins so in the chest it goes. Waiting for a call from the surgeon for a date and time.

• AnnieB43
    Options

Ok first round done today. The only problem I had was with the decadron. My stomach is so distended and painful. MO said half the dose next time and take nexium a few days before and after. I feel like I swallowed a car. Everything else went ok. Burned going in so they increased the saline to dilute it. It helped a lot. Warm pack on my hand the whole time really helped too. Friday should be crash day for me. I took a bag but all I used was the blanket, little pillow, snacks and hot tea. I'll reduce the load next time and just take those things. I'm a little tired. I was up all last night with this bloated gut. I'm on the couch tonight so I can be closer to the bathroom. I feel a Doctor Who marathon coming on. Y'all take care. Anyone needs me just ask. It helps having a group who are all in the same metaphorical boat.Smile

• flower68
    Options

Annie hope you feel better

• AnnieB43
    Options

Southern charm yes that is what I have prescibed. He reduced it to 1 pill 2x for 3 days but now I have to take nexium for a few days before and after to reduce the abdominal issues. It's not a common SE but I would consider it if I were you cuz basically it can't hurt, but this bloated gut is very painful. It's like 6 on the pain scale.

• AnnieB43
    Options

Thanks Flower Happy

• AnnieB43
    Options

I'd also like to suggest that you take a bottle of warm water when you go pee. The meds are burning the surrounding area so I've been using the bottle to wash off and it helps. Sorry if that's TMI Loopy

• AnnieB43
    Options

I took the first dose yesterday morning. It made me kind trippy so I took a nap. The second dose was at 9 pm. Half hour later I inflated. Nothing helped. It's still bad but not as bad as last night.i did not take it this morning. They gave me some through IV at 1 pm Before the chemo.