Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo in February 2016?

Options

Comments

• Myraknits
    Myraknits Member Posts: 191
    Options

I'm back!!! I finally feel like myself again. What a pleasure! I love how Hausfrau put it: " new drug combo get my system back on track game". The Lomotil stopped me up so well that I'm now on the way to get some Metamucil and stool softener but it's much better than the alternative. I'm even thinking about taking a walk today! I'm hoping that after a round or 2 we get used to this balancing act. The main thing I can see is to not let it get too far, if it's at all possible. I should have called the MO a couple days earlier to avoid the worst of it but it's hard to know when, isn't it?! They say we'll be sick.. but how sick is sick?! Hope you're all feeling better. I'm so glad I get this week off!

• Francesj19
    Francesj19 Member Posts: 78
    Options

Thanks, I am going to do that!

• scotbird
    scotbird Member Posts: 592
    Options

Hello everyone, my friend who is a professor of dentistry at the university here has been studying mouth problems associated with chemotherapy. She found that sucking ice during the chemo infusion reduces mouth problems significantly. Rounded ice chips worked better than crushed ice, but I have been taking a flask of crushed ice to my treatment and just sucking it as I sit there. I think it works a bit like the cold cap, stopping the drugs from reaching the mouth. I'm now on day 4 after my second FEC and feeling OK ish. Good luck to you all starting round one this week. x

• Francesj19
    Options

HI everyone, I thought I would introduce myself. I was diagnosed with a biopsy xmas eve from a lump that I found. I feel like everyone has moved very quickly on all of this. Seemed like there was no time for a second opinion. Biopsy, lumpectomy and boom - chemo.

The Doctors just kept saying they were surprised at everything. I have had a very easy going attitude with everything, but many errors along the way. The port could not go in on the right side, so I was very bruised and have lost feeling in my first finger. When they did get the port in on the left side, it punctured a hole in my lung and my lung collapsed at 40% and I had to have a chest tube put in delaying the chemo by a week. My first chemo was on 2/8. That first week was one of the most horrible weeks of my life. I do not take medicine other than Topamax for migraines on a daily basis. My bones felt like they were breaking inside from the neulasta ( clearly the claratin was not working) horrible heartburn and pain, I still have the fabulous D ( I live by immodium) I did not finally feel like myself until day 10. I still have a lot of fatigue. My head itches so I am sure my hair will start to fall out, and I am okay with that. I look good in hats:)

Next treatment on Monday the 29th!

I am very thankful to have found this forum and to know that so many of you have the same symptoms.

Just Breathe~

• hanley50
    hanley50 Member Posts: 78
    Options

My hair is falling out all over the place. I really wished I had got it cut short. I hate this Sad

• Lj061197
    Lj061197 Member Posts: 9
    Options

Hello Pink Susters,

I finished my chemo Dec 7th. There is life after chemo and you will feel better. Drink alot of wster and attitude is everything. My hair began to fall out day 14 got my hair shaved day 19. I had 6 treatments every 3 weeks. Finished my 30 rounds of radiation on Feb 19th. I am still fatigued, my hair is coming in black. We are strong beautiful fighters 😀

• chambo
    chambo Member Posts: 88
    Options

HausFrau- I've been using Biotene pretty faithfully hoping to prevent the mouthsores...got one good sore on the side of my tongue so far - it keeps getting irritated by my molars. I haven't added the salt to baking soda (my recipe was just baking soda/water)...makes sense though. I'll try it when I get home from work. Should help with my leftover sore throat too.

Francesj19 - holy criminy! Sounds like they are really pushing the time table...I had a week to heal after lumpx before port and then 3.5 weeks to heal from both of those before chemo. I was dx 12/7 and just had first chemo 2/16...I get the need to be timely...but they can slow down a little and let your body recover a little as well. My MO kept saying "nothing is a panic rush" - and I'm TN... I take Topamax daily for migraines too...I think it makes for fun times with Neulasta because Topamax can impact bones also. My hips definitely were feeling it.

hanley50 - are you comfortable enough to go for a short buzz now (not bald, just short clipper cut)? It might ease some of the suckfest. And make you feel a bit more in control...you might rock it like Angelina Jolie did:

• LovesToFly
    LovesToFly Member Posts: 705
    Options

since I am from January I am bald now, but I will show you guys my buzz cut picture!

• LovesToFly
    Options

bald:

• chambo
    Options

lovestofly- you are rockin' it! HeartThumbsUp

• LovesToFly
    Options

thank you. I'm pretty used to it now (however usually wear hats and occasionally wigs).

• MLP3
    MLP3 Member Posts: 470
    Options

Francis- I had the same reaction to my first chemo treatment. I'm 7 days out and finally feeling "normal" again. I'm not a med taker either, so I think that's contributing to it.

I'm getting a buzz cut Thursday. I'm feeling that's the best transition for me. My hair is long and it's starting to hit me that it won't be like this for at least 3 more years. I need to get those thoughts out of my head. Oh... I just did;)

LTF rocks;)

• MLP3
    MLP3 Member Posts: 470
    Options
  • Eliz1973
    Eliz1973 Member Posts: 34
    Options

cute post... True and I needed the giggle.....

Elizabeth

• Francesj19
    Options

Love it! Great Pic Jill ! You really Rock it! I am going to go today to look at wigs though not sure feel about wearing one. I am a red head to being a blonde or brunette will be odd for me. not many red wigs around. I was going to have my hair made into a wig, but WOW the cost is HUGE! So my hair has not starting falling out and the anticipation is funny. The Waiting is the hardest part. when when..

Does anyone know if there is something other than Claritin that will make the bones not hurt? love to ask the doctors about it when I have my appointment on Friday?

• LovesToFly
    Options

I have heard of people using aleve (naproxen) for the bone came pain, you're not really supposed to use NSAIDs on chemo, but supposedly a few are OK, if the oncologist approves.

• HausFrauMi
    HausFrauMi Member Posts: 113
    Options

I had Emla cream on my port before infusion. About 1 hr before covered in Press n Seal. The only thing I felt was the nurse pushing /pressure and it was pretty light. Not even a sting!!!

I just took a shower and need a nap. How many days after 1st TX did you feel sorta normal if that is even a possibility after chemo??? (Friday AC and Neulasta Saturday). Last night I just cried. Not because I hurt that badly but just overwhelmed and the fact that I just feel so blah. None of my big bones aches. A little soreness in my neck area but that could be napping on the couch :) no fever thankfully. Just no energy at all. I hate feeling so lethargic. I'm pretty lazy generally but this is a whole nother level!!

• HausFrauMi
    HausFrauMi Member Posts: 113
    Options

Jill you look awesome!! How do we post pictures in the posts??

I've heard laying on the buzzed hair can feel a bit prickly so I'm planning on a super short pixie so I can easily cover the hair with my wraps etc... Assuming I have hair left by March 5 when my hair dresser returns from vacation! Already went from boob length to the chin length bob in my profile pi

• LovesToFly
    Options

Click on the little landscape to add pics!

• chambo
    Options

Okay...so today's weirdness...started losing my voice...uh? I knew my throat was a bit raw from coughing so much from the flu bug/sinus infection I got over, but this is new. And I'm tired again. Yesterday I had a ton of energy...bummer.

I also am waiting for the hair ball to drop...lol. I can't decide if I am going to go out with a bang and have all the girlfriends over for a group shave off, or just get it over with minus the fanfare. Since I am feeling a little tired and down today, my sense of humor isn't holding as strong...perhaps tomorrow I will feel I can pull it off.

• AMaree08
    AMaree08 Member Posts: 36
    Options

Hi everyone, touching base from New Zealand :) xooxox 

• nibaum
    nibaum Member Posts: 6
    Options

Hi all,

I just want to introduce myself to this thread.   My original chemo plan was going to be TCH x 6, but after a second MO opinion and 2nd pathology review, it was changed to Taxol/Herceptin.  My tumor was grade 1 (mitotic index 1) but the HER2+ amplification indicated chemo with Herceptin. 

I had my first Taxol/H infusion Friday and the SEs have been mild so far.  Just had some dizziness on Saturday and a headache on Sunday.  Acetaminophen helped with the headache.  I took melatonin the first few to help with sleep while the steroids were still in my system.  I have been able to walk or do a moderate workout an hour a day. 

To reduce the risk of neuropathy, I iced my toes and fingers during the Taxol infusion.  The NP said that the icing would have helped reduce nail pain/lifting if I was getting Taxotere, but she didn't think that it would do anything to reduce neuropathy.  She said I should have miminal nail issues and limited risks of neuropathy with weekly Taxol.  But just in case, I plan to continue icing during the Taxol infusions as well as take 100mg of B6 daily.

Thank you to all for sharing your tips and experiences!  It really helps to feel that I am not alone on this journey.

Nibaum

• LovesToFly
    Options

beautiful AMaree. Good luck! You've got this!

Welcome Nibaum, glad to hear you seem to be tolerating him a while. For me the worst part is the first two days after steroids, I just crash and get so tired. Then I start feeling normal again.

Iam on cycle 3 day seven today, feeling pretty good except for a running nose, and dry patches in my mouth have started like clockwork!

• 33triple
    33triple Member Posts: 48
    Options

WOW you ladies are so gorgeous!!! Go team Fabulous February!!!!

HausFrauMi, I had an emotional cry fest my 2nd day in as well. I was just so tired and scared I was gonna feel pooped and stuck in my body the next 5 months. I tried to send an email and when it took me 2 hours to compose an email that would typically take me 10minutes I lost it! Luckily I had my mother close by to remind me that I was only on my second day... That resting my way to health is my priority so not doing anything is just fine... And that it will get better as time passes. She was right! I'm 14 days out and feeling much better gearing up for #2.

Help ladies! experiencing another SE... My face is breaking out horribly. I look like a teenager whose been scouted for and acne infomercial!

❤️❤️

• LovesToFly
    Options

33tripleme too! I start getting pimples about a week after chemo, and they last for about a week. Hot flashes and pimples at the same time!

• Nolagirl1126
    Nolagirl1126 Member Posts: 178
    Options

Amaree - looking great! I'm starting on the 26th.

Nibaum- my MO told me the same thing about neuropathy and Taxol/Herceptin. I am cold capping, so I think I'm going to skip the ice on fingers/toes to avoid turning into a human Popsicle.

33triple - haven't heard about the break-outs, ugh! I had horrible skin as a teen. I was thinking about taking Biotin for hair, once I talked to my MO, but I heard that causes break-outs too :

• hanley50
    Options

Thanks for the support! I had my head shaved today. Something went wrong though as I look nothing like Angelina Joliimage

• hanley50
    Options

Me at New Years.

• hanley50
    Options

Good God

• hanley50
    Options

Maybe bad lighting