Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo in February 2016?

Options

Comments

• 33triple
    33triple Member Posts: 48
    Options

Add me to the list ladies!!!

I start 6 sessions of TCHP every 3 weeks starting Tuesday the 9th and doing cold caps as well!

Mypinklife, TLIMS, and Ruddycat we all seem to have the same chemo plan!

With the blessing of my MO, I have also been working with an Integrative Doctor who specializes in cancer treatment and has been helping me to build up my immune system before starting chemo naturally.

My regimen is based on on Donald Yance's The Eclectic Triphasic Medical System

Rooted in the American Eclectic herbal tradition, Traditional Chinese Medicine, constitutional energetics, and contemporary clinical nutrition, the ETMS is continuously honed by the latest scientific research at molecular, cellular and genomic levels. ETMS integrates three key branches: the human being, the external environment, and the biological environment

I've been making smoothies and taking supplements for the past week and a half and will continue throughout chemo to boost my immune system and help curb the negative side effects of chemo

Smoothies:

8oz of coconut water/milk + 1 cup of frozen berries (no strawberries) + the following;

• Nutri-One 1 scoop
    • Beyond Whey 1 scoop
    • Botanical Treasures 2 scoops

I add cinnamon and chia seeds too. YUM

Supplements:

• Cell Guardian 4 per day
    • Zinc Supreme 2 per day with food
    • Vital Adapt 2 droppers per day
    • Udo's Oil :1 tablespoon per every 50lbs of your weight per day
    • Turkey Tail 3 droppers per day(during chemo only)

I will be getting acupuncture after each chemo session as well.

Here's my cold cap centric shopping list ;)... I'll be adding the nail products you recommended too.

• Big cooler on wheels for CC delivery
    • Hot liquids
    • Gloves for me and team
    • thick socks
    • electrical blanket
    • ear covers
    • digital timer
    • towels for drying off caps
    • Small earbuds/music
    • all natural leave in conditioner
    • very wide tooth comb
    • Moleskin

Also for you triple positives out there... There is a triple positive topic group that I have found very helpful.

#WeGotThis

❤️❤️

• 808mom
    808mom Member Posts: 2
    Options

Hi Everyone, add one more for the Feb. 2016 chemo group. I had my first chemo on Feb 1st. I am having 12 Taxol every week plus Herceptin. Then Herceptin every three week for a year. Went in and nurse asked why I didn't have a port? If I had known I would have had it put in at time of surgery... Although the nurse was good about finding my vein and treatment went ok I am now really thinking about getting a port so I don't have to worry about damaging the veins on my good arm. I am also trying to go back to work (3 weeks from now) and wondered if putting in a port now would complicate everything? Anyone have any advice?

• Myraknits
    Myraknits Member Posts: 191
    Options

Me too! I've been hanging out with the Jan '16 group but I'm officially a Feb starter. Port gets placed tomorrow morning....( possibly the reason I'm not sleepy yet? 😉 then TCHP starts Feb 9th. I'll be glad to get through the first one so I know what to expect this coming year. The plan is neoadjuvant chemo every 3 weeks 6 times, thensurgery then more chemo. All this seems like overkill but apparently my HER2+ status makes it so I can't just get surgery and be done with all this.

• Eliz1973
    Eliz1973 Member Posts: 34
    Options

I survived! Lol seriously, it has been a long day...

I ended up taking my phone, charger, earphones, kindle, blanket, small pillow, fluffy socks, hand sanitizer, chap stick, water, my paperwork file to add today's info too, meds I filled for chemo to review instructions once again, inhaler, tissues......

I think that's it... I had a tv in my room and the facility was stocked w drinks and snacks.... I didn't use my earphones or kindle today, everything else was helpful :). The blanket, pillow and socks made everything feel more " homey"/"comfortable" for me.

I am laying down enjoying the few minutes of quiet before my kids get home. Dinner was delivered to by a friend, praise God for friends!

I have to return tomorrow afternoon for a shot, however I am planning to rest. I feel tired. Next chemo the 17.

Thank you for your encouragement!

Regina- thank you for your thoughtful prayers! Awesome your port is done. It helped today after I saw how much the had to push through and run through the Iv ! I was glad I had it.

TLIMS23- Thank you for the encouragement! Try to stay as positive andrelaxed as you can. Pray pray pray! Xox

• Eliz1973
    Eliz1973 Member Posts: 34
    Options

oh my goodness! We are close. All my treatments are in Louisville. If you would like to send me a private message we can determine just how close we are! :)

Eliz1973

• iluvgsd5
    iluvgsd5 Member Posts: 8
    Options

808mom, I had my port put in last week. I haven't started my chemo yet, waiting to heal from surgery, but my MO insisted on it and must people I talk to say it is a must for chemo patients. My only issues is that I am having issues with it! Its strange to have a foreign object in you and it is still bruised and tender so it's hard for me to move my arm I certain ways. Hopefully that will go away in time.

• Myraknits
    Options

The port is in! I have to admit the Fentanyl was very nice. Took the anxiety level RIGHT down to zero. and I knew they were doing stuff but I just didn't care.

On to chemo!

• princesstina
    princesstina Member Posts: 129
    Options

Ladies!! Jumping in from April 2015 boards to say HI! And good luck!

Little advice: my onc did a "affect of cryotherapy on neuropathy" while i was on taxol so i was included. The other participants and I had 0, yes ZERO, incidence of neuropathy! The icing does in fact work, and is worth every penny. Here is what they did for me during the study - the researcher actually felt that the first 15 mins before taxol and the 15 mins after were the most important to be iced.

15 mins before taxol - start icing

30 minutes after taxol started, at the 45 min mark - get a fresh pair of gloves (yes this sucks)

leave gloves on for 15 mins AFTER taxol is done running in.

I literally had NO NUMBNESS in my hands and feet. I had only the tiniest bit of temperature oversensitive (hot felt too hot and cold felt too cold) and I strongly recommend you do it!

Good luck! Feel free to PM me if there's anything I can do to help, You all will do great!!!!

• kiks1
    kiks1 Member Posts: 118
    Options

Elizabeth - YAY! One down. 

Princess -  did you ice your feet as well?

808 - From what I have been reading, seems like a port is a good idea. Few seem to regret having it done. I had mine yesterday on the left side. It is very sore but I probably won't have a problem working, but I have a desk job. The soreness is mainly on the areas affected by the placement (chest and neck). My arm is not affected. MO says the pain will last only about a week or so.

• TLIMS23
    TLIMS23 Member Posts: 13
    Options

Kiks - oh, THE day 😥! It's great you are having your first round on a Friday that way you can recover over the weekend. I will try to schedule my subsequent chemos for a Friday too.

Myra - it's crazy how nonchalant Fetanyl makes everything. I was lying there like "oh, they're cutting my neck, now my chest, do do dooo"

33 - that's some awesome information in your post. I am going to take notes, thanks for sharing

Eliz- yay, one down!!

So ladies I had OPI Nail Envy on my shopping list but it has formaldehyde much like other nail strengtheners. I'm so afraid now that I have BC :-/ I think I'll find a formaldehyde free option although it may not preserve my nails as well

• 33triple
    Options

Hey ladies! Another shopping list for those interested. 

One of my best buds is an amazing make up artist. I've known her for years and asked her to recommend an all natural beauty regimen. 

"The make up you need to get is Hourglass. I love all of their products!! They also make an amazing primer/serum that is made of essential oils. 

The skin care I am really likening is by Colleen Rothschild. Her extreme recovery cream is an amazing rich moisturizer! Her charcoal mask is also awesome! Great for pulling out impurities! 

The cleanser I am using is the warming honey cleanser from Innovative Skincare"

❤️

• Deaconlady
    Deaconlady Member Posts: 86
    Options

Hello. I am probably starting this month. I saw my MO yesterday. I have an echocardiogram Friday and see MO Tueaday. I will probably have Taxol and Herceptin. My hair is already short so that's not a big deal. I had a gastric bypass Dec 2014 and my hair was thinning and really dry. It will be interesting to see how it comes back.

• Myraknits
    Options

TLIMS23- I was listening to their conversation thinking lalalalalala....no need for me to answer...

Deacon lady- I had an echo before starting all this too. Funny thing is I thought it was a pass/fail kind of thing... My tech laughed and explained it's just for a baseline so they can monitor our "normal". I have a fairly intense arythmia so it'll be interesting to see how the chemo affect it.

33triple- is the point of all natural to avoid chemicals for interactions with chemo? I see lots of discussion about not using products with additives, etc. Just wondering why

• 33triple
    Options

Myraknits,

It's more about the cancer than the chemo. Going all natural for me is a new life choice to help me control exposure to potential toxins. Skin is are largest organ so we can also consider what we feed it.

In essence, Parabens are a class of chemicals used widely as preservatives by the cosmetic industry to extend the shelf life of their products. 

Parabens are found in everyday toiletry products including deodorant, moisturiser, shampoos and make-up. They are highly efficient as preservatives, cost very little, and are often more effective than their natural alternatives, which may explain why they are so commonly used. However, the use of parabens in the cosmetic industry has become very controversial as they have been found in the biopsy of breast cancer tumours and so many people are now turning to paraben free alternatives.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/150690-what-are-the-dangers-of-parabens-in-skin-care/

Colby College's Clean Makeup website reports that parabens can mimic estrogen and disrupt the body's hormone system. Cornell University reports that a high lifelong exposure to estrogen can increase breast cancer risk. Estrogen, and synthetic chemicals that act like estrogen, play a role in stimulating the division of breast cells and affect other hormones that stimulate breast cell division. Your body does not easily break down synthetic estrogen, and it can accumulate in fat cells, including breast tissue. In 2004, a study by the University of Reading in the United Kingdom found concentrations of parabens, particularly methylparaben, in human breast tumors. The study examined only the presence of parabens in the tumors but did not determine that they were the cause of the tumors.

• Myraknits
    Options

thank you! Definitely worth considering. I've always eaten well but never really thought about exposure to hair products and cosmetics. One of the things I asked my Dr was why, if I eat well and exercise would I get cancer? He said they don't really know but we're exposed to a lot more toxins

• MB12
    MB12 Member Posts: 44
    Options

Mypinklife - yes, penguin cold caps.

Kiks1 - will update, tomorrow.

I saw a couple other awesome posts about holistic and supplements on our thread. Start fertility this week. Just landed and will catch up, tomorrow. It's 2:22am cst. ;)

Cheers! 😀

• Csum81
    Csum81 Member Posts: 1
    Options

Well I just found this site after searching for hours and hours online trying to decide between two types of chemo options given to me today that I will be starting later this month. I wish (and I know there isn't) a quick way to insert all of the things about me to help decide which is the best option. My options: TC (Texotere/Cytoxin) vs. ACT (Andriamycin/Cytoxin plus Taxofin)

I'm looking to see if there is anyone that may have many of the same symptoms/stats I have and is going to/or has had either of the treatments listed above and the reasoning you were given for it...better outcome vs. the other etc... I appreciate your input!

Age - under 35 (or I'll take close to it!)
    ER+
    PR-
    HER2-
    Grade 3
    Stage 1A
    Oncotype Score: 30
    Lymphnodes - 4 removed/0 cancer cells
    Invasive Ductal Carcinoma with some In-Situ found
    Tumor size 1.2
    BRCA 1/2 - in family - mine came back as a VUS...we're awaiting another panel of test to see if they can determine the mutation.

Again, thank you all for looking at this - if you have some of these symptoms...and especially are younger please let me know if you did either of these treatments/had the choice/and again, why you chose or were told to choose one over the other.

Thank you!!

• Rowmac46
    Rowmac46 Member Posts: 2
    Options

Hi. Started the 3rd with same regiment. How are you doing? Did you have any side effects?

• Rowmac46
    Rowmac46 Member Posts: 2
    Options

Hi. I am so happy that this group was formed. I started my A/C on the 3rd. The whole process went smooth. I'm dose dense. Unfortunately I had nausea, headache, & fatigue within hours. I'll ask for stronger nausea meds when I get follow up shot. I hope to work as long as possible. Has any of you continued to work while on chemo? Especially dose dense.

I had my port put on 1/25. I've got deep veins that seem to encourage the person starting the IV to want to dig for. Not happening as I have lymphedema so the left arm is off limits! FYI for those who haven't started. Get lidocaine cream prescription from your mo. It hurts to push thru the skin. The cream will numb it.

Thanks

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,017
    Options

Welcome Csum81! Welcome to Breastcancer.org. We're so glad you've found this supportive and helpful place full of knowledge and great advice, and we hope we can all help you make the best decisions of your live. Until you get responses from others here, you may want to take a look at the section on Chemotherapy in our main site.

Hope this helps!

The Mods

• 06elise
    06elise Member Posts: 62
    Options

What a whirlwind!

• Port installation tomorrow
    • Sentinel node removal during the same surgery
    • MRI with contrast done
    • Echocardiogram done
    • CT with contrast done

Finally received my chemo schedule, and it's AC (four courses every two weeks), followed by THP, followed by just the Herceptin for a full year. Starting THIS MONDAY! Eeeek!

When they said they were going to be aggressive with my treatment, they certainly weren't kidding!!

• Myraknits
    Options

Elise, I'm in the same HER2+ boat with aggressive treatment. Port placed yesterday...feel like I've been shot clean through the shoulder! On to chemo 6x every 3 weeks, surgery and then more chemo. I guess this is an especially aggressive form but the good news is the HP is targeted. I feel very lucky they have a treatment for it

• NY30
    NY30 Member Posts: 4
    Options

Hi Guys:

Reporting back from the other side. Had my first AC treatment on Monday and went off without a hitch!

The nurse got the vein on the first try. It was a bit unnerving for sure as we switched from pre-meds (steroids and anti-nausea, etc.) to the "real stuff", but I had support there holding my hand throughout and went as well as could be. Ended with a Lupron shot, and was sent home with a Neulasta shot (did Tuesday) and some more steroids (completed yesterday).

Thus far has been fairly anti-climactic and surreal. (Thankfully!) Definitely felt speedy on nights 1 and 2, most likely from all the steroids. Walking helped tremendously and hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Have had zero nausea, headaches, or anything. On day 4 and feeling like a normal human, sleeping through the night, chowing down regular food, and working away. Will let you know if that changes, but for now just thankful that for the moment it feels easy breezy!

Good luck to you ladies going in for No.1 soon. Here's saying it's totally doable!

• hanley50
    hanley50 Member Posts: 78
    Options

Hello All...

I have 1st chemo scheduled for 02/10/16. A/C once every two weeks for 8 weeks, then Taxol same thing, once every two weeks for 8 weeks.

I'm terrified, but so glad to be here with you all. I guess I should consider myself lucky in that personally, I do not know anyone that has gone through this, but then that leaves me with no one to talk to that knows what I'm going through.

Thank you!

Maryann

• seejuliago
    seejuliago Member Posts: 18
    Options

Hi everyone-

I am starting in February too! The 17th to be exact, with 4 rounds of AC and 12 rounds of Taxol after. Going in for port placement on the 10th!

• hanley50
    hanley50 Member Posts: 78
    Options

Hi seejuliago...it looks like we are both triple negative, doing same chemo just different doses of taxol. I had my port put in 01/26. Good luck on the 10th

• 06elise
    06elise Member Posts: 62
    Options

Myraknits I'm with you about the targeted HP treatments! Perjeta is such an especially new treatment, too! Have they told you how long they want you to take the Herceptin?

Best wishes on your chemo! It's nice that technology lets us "sit alongside" others in a similar place.
    Smile

• Myraknits
    Options

Elise, I know it will be TCHP every 3 weeks 6x, then surgery which will depend on how I respond to treatment and then probably 6 more rounds of some cocktail which will probably include Herceptin.

Good luck with your chemo too! Nice to know we're in this together. Support means everything

• kiks1
    kiks1 Member Posts: 118
    Options

Elise, good luck on port placement and sn surgery. My port insertion was rough 1st and 2nd day. Today, I am to feeling pretty pain free.Smile

Hey to all our new teammates.

NY thanks for the happy update. Praying that all our journeys will be uneventful.

Rowmac hope you are doing better.

Csum I am not as young as you ( Iam 49.... shhh...) but I am er+(81%),pr- (1%), her2-, both my oncs suggested 4 x TC. My oncotype is 28. MOs say that by doing chemo, I will cut recurrence risk in half. Well worth it.

Elizabeth, Hausfrau, and Pinklife, hope you guys are doing well after your first chemo.

• 808mom
    808mom Member Posts: 2
    Options

JacquelineM. and Kiks1 thanks on the information about the port, I requested to have one. Now I am just waiting to get the appointment.

Everyone we can get through this.... Stay strong and thanks for all of the encouraging posts. Makes it easier with all of the information :)