Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo in February 2016?

Options

Comments

• Konakona
    Konakona Member Posts: 30
    Options

Starting in February also, I still don't know the day.

• HausFrauMi
    HausFrauMi Member Posts: 113
    Options

Hi There! I have my port placement on Wednesday then will probably start Chemo the next week. I meet with the chemo nurse on Monday morning for my "Introduction to Chemo" and hoping we can determine which day would be best for me and the kids schedule. They have after school activities on Wednesday and Thursday so I would like to be able to not mess that up. I don't have anyone that can carpool with me. Trying to save hubby from using all of his vacation days or leaving work early a lot.

4 AC then 12 T scheduled as of now.

• princesstina
    princesstina Member Posts: 129
    Options

Kiks1 - sorry for the delay! Yes, I iced hands and feet. It was COLD. BUT the results were WELL WORTH it. Also I didn't have fingernail/toenail problems other than slight yellowing. Several women have severe, painful nail issues as well.

I did AC X4, then taxol x12 with herceptin/perjeta.

Good luck! Starting down the road now gets you done that much faster! You ladies will do GREAT! Feel free to pm me with questions if I can help!

• seejuliago
    seejuliago Member Posts: 18
    Options

Good luck to you hanley50- I hope the side effects are minimal and the weeks fly by! :)

• MLP3
    MLP3 Member Posts: 470
    Options

Hello,

I just booked my first chemo for Feb 16th... I better be getting something extra special for Valentines Day! Wouldn't a nice pair of diamond studs make losing hair easier....😉

I'll have 4 AC treatments 3 weeks apart, one month off and then 4-6 weeks of rads. Then Tamoxifan for 5 years.

My grade 3 and extensive LVI is the chemo need here. Although I had negative nodes, they found cells swimming over to my nodes. My PR is also 50%.

My biggest concern with AC is the heart stuff. I'm a "young" 48, I'm normally active and I follow a clean plant based diet(vegan and avoid processed foods as much as possible).

So... Here we are!

• iluvgsd5
    iluvgsd5 Member Posts: 8
    Options

Thanks to those that are posting on their experience with A/C chemo. I start at the end of February and I am scared S#%@Tless!!!!

It is so helpfully to know that this tolerable! I will be doing dose dense A/C every other week for 8 weeks, then Taxol once weekly for 8 weeks.

• QueenElizabethTheFaux
    Options

Hi Everyone, I'd like to add my name to this group. I will start Chemotherapy on Feb 10th.

I'm having my hair cut off, and head shaved, on Feb. 8th. It's quite long and don't want it to go to waste. (Want to donate it to an organization that takes color-treated hair and uses it to make free wigs for kids with cancer or hair loss.)

I'll dig thru paperwork to find a list of the chemo-mix my Oncologist wants to use. He's using a stronger-than-planned mix. Says I'm high risk for recurrence and is concerned it may have already pierced my chest wall and lung. (We'll see. Won't know for at least a year or two.)

Love and good luck to all, QueenElizabethTheFaux

• hanley50
    hanley50 Member Posts: 78
    Options

Ok...MUGA completed today. Now I feel like I have had every test, scan and biopsy that they could possibly do! Now the wait till next Wednesday for chemo. WOW...I am scared!

• Mypinklife
    Mypinklife Member Posts: 18
    Options

eliz1973....How are you feeling? I started TCHP yesterday and had my nulesta shot this morning. Now I am nervously just sitting here waiting for side effects, however so far I am feeling good!

• Myraknits
    Myraknits Member Posts: 191
    Options

Mypinklife, that's such good news! I start TCHP on Tues and I'm hoping for the best now that I hear you're doing ok. SE be damned!!

• 33triple
    33triple Member Posts: 48
    Options

TLIMS33 OPI has a formaldehyde free version it sounds perfect for us as I'm sure our nails will be sensitive after chemo I found it at ULTA today. 

:)

N

• chambo
    chambo Member Posts: 88
    Options

Hi all,

Wow - this group blew up in size while I've been away for work. I guess that's both good and bad.

@hausfrau we are dx twins - lol!

Someone asked about the skin glue from port placement - yes, it will finally wear off...but it does take a while! I had to keep putting a big bandaid over mine because the rough glue edges were catching on my bra. I'm still working the bruising out from my sentinal node biopsy and lumpectomy - I joked with my hubby that I went from "Avatar Blue Boob" to "Camoflauge" boob - and now I'm slightly pale Sponge Bob yellow. File all that under #thingsIneverknewaboutbreastcancer.

In a weird twist of fate, my step-sister is now going through the same dx process. She goes in for biopsy in a couple of weeks. Keeping my fingers crossed that she will be one of the lucky 80% I keep hearing exist...

Counting down until my chemo starts Feb 16. Going to "run away" to Arizona next week for a few days in the sun to relax just prior - hoping it will help calm the nerves. I know the natural Vitamin D will be good for my winter blahs, that's for sure!

I had to figure out what to do for my two recent work trips where I met up with teams I work with remotely. These are people I only see every 3-4 months and only professionally. Do I tell? Do I wait? I was going back and forth, since the next time we meet I will probably be bald/scarf girl, but I didn't want these meetings to be all about me being BC girl. So awkward. Anyway, in the end I decided not to say anything just now. I think I will send out an email just before our next meeting with a picture, a little explanation, and some sort of snarky humorous headline. Then they won't be surprised and I won't have to have some big group confessional moment..."Hi I am Lisa and I have breast cancer..." - so friggin' awkward for work relationships.

Anybody else dealing with awkward work stuff like this?

• TLIMS23
    TLIMS23 Member Posts: 13
    Options

@33 - thanks chica! I saw that version but of course it didnt get the rave reviews the original formula has for preserving nails… I wonder why lol

@chambo - are you open to wearing a wig for your work meeting, that's a little more subtle than the scarf and that way you won't have to say anything. I have a pretty close bond with my coworkers and we are pretty routine so of course I've been questioned about my sudden absences. I've told some folks but not all, it's tiring. I don't plan on telling anyone else, I'm sure they'll find out through the grapevine.

This is my last weekend of freedom!!

• MB12
    MB12 Member Posts: 44
    Options

I went back and forth about telling or not telling family, friends and work.  My concern was the noise would take away from our launch and it would draw negative attention to business development.  And then, I woke up.  I do remember how strange it was to say I have cancer.  I have breast cancer.  I said it in front all of the mirrors in my home for 3-5 days on and off. My neighbors probably thought I was cray-cray. Lol.  I knew I would need to get over that hump saying it out loud. 

I set up our company culture as a social good, transparent community.  I wrote a blog post that I will push out this coming week and I am transparent about my cancer to everybody from the uber driver to my friends/family as I see them.  For me, the more I talk about it in conversation, if it comes up, the better and easier it became.  (I don't roam the streets screaming it anymore.  Ha!  I thought about it at first when I was mad as heck.)  I have learned so much from talking about it from strangers and made friendships from these strangers.  There are a lot of people that know helpful things that you do not know about cancer bc we all know friends/family that have gone through what we are going through.  I feel stating that I have cancer empowers me and my ability to help other people.  I've been my own advocate from the start.  I feel free.  I am not ashamed of it.  I am not scared.  I will hold my head up high and carry on with my life.  Cancer is not taboo.  We need to change that feeling everybody gets when they hear someone has cancer.  Lead by example.  Good energy attracts good energy.  My advice is to just roll with it!

Good luck to all those with the decision on what to say or not!!  Sending you all positive vibes!!  xo

• Myraknits
    Options

I ping-ponged for a long time about going public but once I decided to blog about it I was incredibly moved by the support I'm getting.

You can read about it here: http://myrawood.com/blog/post/view/9/schknits_gett...

• Eliz1973
    Eliz1973 Member Posts: 34
    Options

Mypinklife- Wow! This has been a long week... The initial day of chemo I had some headaches, nausea and fatigue. That has been the worst of it, thank goodness! Neulasta shot was more of the same with some periodic muscle/bone aches, nothing horrible. Yesterday, I slept A Lot! I was very tired, exhausted. This morning I tookmy daughter for her act testing and I will likely hang out around the house this afternoon.

All in all, it could be worse! I have an apt Monday with the radiation oncologist. A meet and greet.... I don't expect anything other than more information to absorb...

Elizabeth

• hanley50
    Options

Myraknits - I read your blog....sending hugs your way Hug

• MLP3
    MLP3 Member Posts: 470
    Options

I'm at Dana Farber in Boston and they don't offer the cold caps. My mo said that I could get one on my own, but she doesn't like them. She had one patient that got frostbite on her scalp and her hair never grew back in that spot:(

I'm not going to chance it. Just got my prescription for a wig... Did I just say that??!!

• Konakona
    Konakona Member Posts: 30
    Options

I am ordering a wig tonight and I can not belive it eather

• chambo
    chambo Member Posts: 88
    Options

@MB12 - Thanks for your words. I am totally open with my colleagues at my local work site. The awkwardness, for me, comes into play with people I am not very close to - remote work colleagues that I see on a quarterly basis, and a remote project group - who I have only met in person with 2x. You know that line in Animal House, "Eric Stratton, rush chairman, damn glad to meet you!"? I feel like that a bit...like I am walking up to almost strangers and going, "Lisa, breast cancer patient, what's on today's agenda?" All things screech to a halt and then you have to have a 15 minute discussion about your boobs and your treatment plan before you can get on with your day. I get people are being supportive and all - it just feels super awkward at times.

@TLIMS23 - I already have a pixie cut - so a wig, for me, would be the dead give away...lol.

@MyraKnits - thanks for sharing your post for two reasons - 1) that's kind of what I am thinking of doing via email to the two groups I'll be meeting up with in late April with my bald head, and, more importantly 2) I CROCHET!!! I don't do any super complicated things, but I've made myself a few hats, I've made a few blankets, slippers, and tried a couple Amigurumi toys (sewing the pieces together in a good looking way is still a bit of a struggle, but all the pieces come out nicely).

Eliz1973 - thanks for the update. Glad it wasn't too awful. The BC team scheduled 3 appointments the same morning as my first infusion...I haven't really figured out how that is going to happen yet. One with MO, one with nutritionist, and one with pharmacology...sure hope I am not super nauseous while trying to listen to them... I really need to call the center for more details. One last week of freedom for me, and then I join you in the chemo ranks.

• kiks1
    kiks1 Member Posts: 118
    Options

MLP3 and Kona, I also decided on wigging. My MOs were not fond of the wigging idea either and I really didn't have that much time to plan since I was told to get to chemo rather quickly.

Elizabeth glad you are doing well. Hang in there.

I went for my first chemo yesterday. It was a long day. I started with a huge migraine being that anxiety kept me up all night. Surprisingly, when the infusions started, my headaches melted. Then they sent me for an ultrasound because I thought I felt a swollen lymph node under my jaw that I was worried about. Results came came that all is fine except for a 9mm nodule on my thyroid. Ugh! MO says not to worry about that, first , because it is small, second, it is very common. We will just keep our eyes on it. So, with everything else going on, I am going to let it go. Anyways, I came home slept through the afternoon, cooked dinner and ran errands. Slept well last night, trying to go for a run this morning. Let's keep our fingers crossed. So far so good. Oh, I also got one of those neulasta patch and that will not administer at 3:00pm today. Hopefully, all goes well.

• MB12
    MB12 Member Posts: 44
    Options

Myraknits - Loved reading your blog! I think writing is therapeutic. Thank you for sharing. :)

Chambo - I totally understand and agree. Everything stops for the "boob talk". I almost wish we could just have a sign that explains it for us. :) I get more annoyed w being treated like a fragile baby or the "I'm so sorry" look and repeating myself. 😈

My sign would read somethinglike this:

I have breast cancer. I found a lump. Got new boobs. I'm on a chemo diet until June. My middle name is Lee. Carry on. 😀

• QueenElizabethTheFaux
    Options

Good Afternoon, I'm new here on the Feb 2016 chemo board. But I've been reading over all of your comments. Thanks so much to each of you for sharing your feelings about starting chemo and/or your experiences or side effects.

I'm a bit nervous about starting chemo this week. Your words are comforting, serious, helpful, silly & fun...all rolled into one Forum. (And a shout out to "chambo" for making me LMAO at her signature comment "It's only a flesh wound!") Xoxoxo

• CurlyGirl73
    CurlyGirl73 Member Posts: 2
    Options

Hi Ladies! I start Feb 10th - 6 x Carboplatin, Taxotere, Herceptin and Perjeta every 3 weeks. I'm getting my port placed Mon Feb 8th. I ordered Penguin cold caps which are coming Monday, and trying to get the hang of all the detailed instructions, order dry ice...etc. The chemo nurses at my clinic don't seem thrilled that I will be using the caps and pretty much told me they don't work, but I am reading so many posts in this community to the contrary. I'll try whatever I can to save my hair. Good luck to all of us for a managable experience with all of this chemo business! Mind over matter!

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,010
    Options

Dear CurlyGirl73,

Welcome to the BCO community. We wish you a smooth start to your chemo this week and we will be thinking of you. Keep us posted. The Mods

• Myraknits
    Options

MB12 My favorite thing is when I tell someone I have breast cancer and they stare straight at my boobs.. Umm, Eyes up here!!

QueenElizabethTheFaux welcome! Is that an Italian Greyhound in your arms??

CurlyGirl73… I'm starting TCHP this week too...Also HER2+ and on the same chemo schedule. Are you doing chemo before surgery? I'll have surgery sometime early summer.

chambo, It's really my salvation. I think I would go totally insane if I wasn't making something!

Kiks1 Glad to hear it went well and you got some sleep! I'm definitely not sleeping well these days. I wake up at weird hours with my mind racing...

I had a lovely day in the garden today... bought some new pots and did lots of planting. It felt good and it will be nice to have some beauty to immerse myself in during recovery. I keep thinking about the things I won't have energy to do after Tuesday.

Tomorrow I get to take the bandages off the port. It's itching like crazy!

I really can't wait to get this first round over with so I have a better idea what to expect. I saw somebody mention that it gets harder as the cycles go on. Has anyone else heard that?

• Eliz1973
    Eliz1973 Member Posts: 34
    Options

Shocked this morning.... My hair has started to fall out! I knew it would happen, was not expecting it so soon.... Luckily I have some cute hats I have found along the way. Everyday is a new adventure!

muraknits- unfortunately, I have heard it gets harder... I can't imagine being any more exhausted! On a positive note; I have, also, heard that keeping notes with each treatment is a good indicator of what to expect with the next. :) ( in terms of what days would be hardest, etc...)I just keep reminding myself it could be so much worse! Focusing on the positive and working endlessly to give God the control. I wish I was strong enough to say I have done that (for good) but for some crazy reason I keep trying to take over lol.... Some lessons are harder than others!

Thank you to all of you for sharing and supporting! It helps so much to know I am not alone in this journey, my feelings are valid and this will be over one day!

Elizabeth

• hanley50
    Options

Eliz1973 - I had to re-read your post a couple of times to comprehend. 5 days?? Oh my! Stay strong! I'm thinking about you :)

• twiggyOR
    twiggyOR Member Posts: 246
    Options

Hi ladies. I'm just popping in from the September group with encouragement for all of you. You can see my dx and treatment below. I will be 6 weeks PFC tomorrow. Chemo is rough but doable. Some notes/tips:

1. Actually getting the chemo is really a non-event unless you happen to have a reaction (small % but some in Sept did). If you do have a reaction your Dr will deal with it.

2. Keep hydrated. I know you hear this a lot but it's so true. Constipation and/or diarrhea are two of the biggest sides effects people have. Eating well will help also.

3. I did keep notes including when I took meds for the first three cycles until I figured out the routine. It does help to have a general idea of what to expect.

4. Take your anti nausea meds whether your feel it or not! Don't let it get started.

5. Don't hesitate to call your Dr if you are struggling with side effects or feel like something isn't right.

6. Most of us in September had our major hair loss between 15 and 20 days. After you buzz it using a lint roller on your head works great to pick up the short pieces.

7. It does get harder each round so continue to take care of yourself.

8. My major side effects: hair loss, bad taste changes, fatigue, constant runny nose and eyes, poor sleep, slight neuropathy, hot flashes.

The good news is that you do get thru it. During chemo everyday felt like eternity but now it seems like it went fast. At 6 weeks PFC I'm starting to feel normal (not there yet though). I'm still bald but have a little fuzz coming in.

Feel free to ask any questions here or message me.

• kiks1
    kiks1 Member Posts: 118
    Options

@Myra I have learnt one thing about sleep. Just give in. I realized that when I stop thinking about when I should or should not be sleeping, just sleep when I want and clean the house at 2am if I am awake , the whole process became a lot easier. I think part of the stress is really from putting expectations on what should or should not happen. I guess is part of this cancer journey, learning to ride with the wave. Myra, must be warm where you are. Gardening? I have 3 feet of snow in my backyard since November! Can't wait for Spring. Enjoy it.

@Elizabeth. Work those cute hats. You'll have hair back before you know it. Just a small bump along this road, keep smiling. Did you ice you feet and hands? How did that go?

2 days since, still feeling ok. I had some back pain and aches all yesterday but tylenol did the job. Slept through last night and cleaned house this morning. Going to head out for a walk with the dog before the Superbowl. I think the process just gets harder not so much because it is, but because we are already more tired and more anxious. We just need to support each other and keep our spirits up. This all shall pass.

@twiggy. Thank you for coming back to offer support and encouragement. We all need it.