Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo in February 2016?

Options

Comments

• MB12
    MB12 Member Posts: 44
    Options

Curlygirl73 - follow the cold caps thread and cold caps success stories. I'm on both. Then, March your butt up to those nurses n check them by showing the pics of all the ladies that have hair still. Can't stand narrow minded people. 😡 Also, the rapunzle project donates freezers to cancer centers. I got mine. 💃

• MB12
    MB12 Member Posts: 44
    Options

Mryaknits - 😂 It's like when Baby tells Johnny in Dirty Dancing, "don't look down, look right here"👀

My daughter and I were laughing at how hard the front of my new boobs are, Ty from the annoying as heck expanders,and she said I could be like the Katy Perry and Ariana Grande videos where they shoot missles or bullets from there boobs! Haha..kids!!

• QueenElizabethTheFaux
    Options

Hi myraknits, That's my mini dachshund. She passed away a couple of years ago & still miss her to this day. She was my little "Clown Doggie." Glad you had a nice day in the garden! Also, I'm with you about getting the 1st chemo started already. The wait has been long...almost 5 months. (The Drs. were slow bcuz they underestimated my Stage.)

twiggyOR, thank you for the Chemo tips. Greatly appreciated!

Curlygirl73 & hanley50...we start chemo on the same day. (Curlygirl, Hope you get to keep your hair w/use of the cold cap! I'll be anxiously awaiting good news about using it.)

Eliz1973...I had to re-read your post about the hair loss, too! Didn't expect to hear that. So sorry : ( Glad you had hats on hand! Getting my hair all cut off tomorrow, pre-chemo. It's clear down to the middle of my back & don't want to see it fall out in matted clumps. (It'll be donated.) I've got some hats, scarves & wigs on hand. (But I'm having my husband take me to the hair appt. Know I'll be bawling about it.)

Lots of love! xoxoxo

• Myraknits
    Myraknits Member Posts: 191
    Options

twiggyOR Thanks for popping in! It's good to hear from someone who's been through this.

@elizabeth, this isn't easy at all. It really is good to know we're all in this together.

MB12 I'm having visions of Madonna's bullet bra under one of my knitted sweaters. Hello!!

QueenElizab… I totally understand. We lost our 16 yr old Italian Greyhound last Sept and I still feel him around me all the time. We were talking about looking for a new pup this spring before I got the diagnoses but now we'll wait till I'm back in shape... Next spring.

I bought a purple chin length pageboy wig on Amazon today. Electric purple! I figure I might as well have as much fun as I can. (I'm easily amused)

I forget who asked but I'm in Southern California. Most of our winter is done now and it's starting to warm up. I did another day of planting today and managed to break out in a rash all over my chest. I think it's a reaction from the adhesive on the port bandages. Time for some Benadryl.

• 06elise
    06elise Member Posts: 62
    Options

They installed my port and removed the sentinel node Friday afternoon. The lymph node removal feels like a "bad boo-boo": totally bearable. The port insertion was rougher, but is finally down to a general (but still somewhat intense) shoulder ache now.

So the best thing that happened to me Friday? One of the nurses finally relented, and showed me my MRI! In 3D! Technology is so cool!! Of course, now I understand why they are being so aggressive. There are inches-long "clouds" of yuck on both breasts, with intensely white (irregular but solid) blobs in the middle of each. One of the blobs on the right is well over 1cm in every direction (probably over 3cm in one direction), while the blobs on the left are considerably more long-and-skinny. Bullet shaped. It all makes me want to remove those measurements from my diagnosis text. I mean, how do you quantify something like that??

I should be asleep. A/C infusions start bright and early in the morning! Maybe I will take another pain pill after all...

• 33triple
    33triple Member Posts: 48
    Options

You'll be in my thoughts tomorrow 06elise!!! May you receive all that you need from the treatment, and may your body release all that it doesn't!!! 

I get my first herceptin infusion tomorrow and TCP chemo Tuesday! They are splitting them up so I have time for the cold caps in the extended time of the first infusion.

Lots of love ladies! So thankful for this group!

❤️

N

• scotbird
    scotbird Member Posts: 592
    Options

Hello! I started my chemo a few days ago - I have been in denial about the breast cancer up to now but today finally decided to research my "condition" when I couldn't sleep (insomnia has been my only side effect so far). I was so happy to find you all and found your posts inspiring. I made 3 wig fitting appointments so far and each time I called and postponed it. I've now decided that I need to follow your example and embrace the situation. I alsoread something by a lady who went through this last year, who said that she approached each of her chemo sessions with the concept that it was a fabulous detox treatment which would purify her entire body which I thought was a cool idea. Love and hugs to you all. X

• Myraknits
    Options

Time to pack my bag for tomorrow. I think I got everything but please let me know if I left anything out. First infusion starts at 8:30 am and is scheduled for 6 (gulp) hours! My DH and BFF are gonna camp out with me....so: pillow, fleece blanket, iPad and cord, phone, knitting, Chapstick, smart water, ginger chews, nut mix and Larabars, hand cream...what else? What else?

• HausFrauMi
    HausFrauMi Member Posts: 113
    Options

I met with the chemo nurse for my "info" overload this morning. Then had my ultrasound for the enhancing 6mm mass the MRI found on the 31st. Will see what the breast surgeon says about the findings but since I am having neoadjuvant chemo if it goes away then they may assume it was cancer??? who knows!

I ordered 2 more caps for my soon to be bald head. Plus got 3 freebie cute ones from the Cancer Clinic this morning (summery type material). I am getting AC starting next Friday. The hair will be falling out in clumps by my 2nd treatment on March 4th. I have a hair appt March 5th to cut the chin length bob to a pixie cut. The chemo nurse and I decided that FRIDAY infusion would work best for my Kid's Wed/Thurs afterschool activities. They have their final Ice Skating lesson this Friday so she thought it was ok for me to wait another week. My port goes in Wednesday so gives it plenty of time to heal and make sure the house is in order.

I will get a neulasta button to wear home after my treatments during the AC tx.

I also ordered unflavored protein powder for the days I don't feel like eating much. I hate the taste of boost/ensure type drinks.

• scotbird
    scotbird Member Posts: 592
    Options

Haus Frau I know what you mean about the info overload, I felt like I needed a lie down after hearing about all the potential side effects. The actual chemo felt almost like an anti climax after that big build up. So far my side effects have been fairly minimal. Just noticed that things don't taste so good today, water is metallic and tastes horrible, but am trying to keep drinking plenty of it anyway as people seem to say it's important to do that. Myra knits I'm thinking of you darling. The only other thing I took was a flask of crushed ice and some mint fresh breath spray which I like. A dentist friend recommended the iceto prevent a sore mouth after treatment, and it was quite refreshing. I also used a cool cap which is supposed to reduce hair loss. Lots of love. X

• blamoms
    blamoms Member Posts: 86
    Options

I start chemo next Friday. Anyone on here doing it with a PICC line? How do you like it?

• kiks1
    kiks1 Member Posts: 118
    Options

@Scotbird, I like the 'detox' mantra, visualizing that we are purging ourselves of this malignancy.

@Myra and Blamoms, best wishes for "THE" day. You guys will do fine.

What I packed ( seemed like the whole house):

-Blanket ( I did find out that they provided warmed ones there, so no need the next time)

-1/2 gallon of flavored water (which I finished during the session, used the restroom like a gazillion times!)

- My DH got ice cubes for me at the cafeteria to chew during taxotere

- Ice gel packs for the hands and feet

- They provided a bunch of snacks but I brought some bananas and applesauce

- Thin gloves and socks for the feet during icing

- Biotene to rinse my mouth

@Hausfrau I got one of those button neulasta too. Works great since I didn't have to do back to the drs the next day.

5 days since, so far so good, keeping my fingers crossed. I will be going in for a wig fitting on Wednesday, can't wait.

Keep calm, I think the first chemo is more of a non-event than we think. Seems like everyone says that once they get past the hurdle.

• Suzted7
    Suzted7 Member Posts: 38
    Options

Hello everyone! Well....had my power port put in my arm today. All I got was lidocaine shots!! LOL. I thought I was going to get some "twilight drugs" but they said only if I had gotten it in the chest. It didn't even hurt....we talked and laughed the entire time. I was glad for that. I'm icing it now again...it's definitely bruised and tender...but manageable. I had my CT scan on Friday and my Dr.noticed my heart was a little low in the pumping and pressure area so I had an echocardiogram done today also. I'm supposed to start chemo on Friday so there is a rush on the results. I have ordered the Penguin caps and the nurses had that "um.....they don't work" reaction. I said I'm willing to take the chance and I hope to prove them wrong! One of the nurses said she had ONE patient who did it and froze her little head off for nothing. She didn't know the brand of caps so I believe she didn't use Penguin. I'm crossing my fingers!

• Myraknits
    Options

@ScotBird,mint fresh breath spray sounds delightful! I'm even thinking peppermint hard candy...maybe too much sugar.

@kiks1, I like what you said about #1 being more of a non-event. Kinda like a warm-up. I kind of had the feeling that might be the case. What's this about icing hands and feet? Is that to prevent neuropathy? Sounds a little brutal unless our extremities are burning up. Does that happen? I'm getting a Neulasta button too. All in All this sounds pretty manageable as long as you stay on top of it

• 06elise
    06elise Member Posts: 62
    Options

33triple, I'll be thinking of you today and tomorrow! I'm very interested to hear how it goes for you! My own Herceptin doses don't start for another several weeks; but I'm especially curious about your response to that one.

AC yesterday went as smoothly as can be expected... although I nearly "psyched myself out" twice. First, although I remember them mentioning the need to dilute Doxorubicin (brand name starts with "A") during my pre-chemo talk, I don't think they mentioned all the precautions necessary to keep it off our skin; it was just a little disconcerting. Then came the Cytoxan, which gave me something they called "wasabi nose" :-D ... an odd tingling sensation that went away when they lowered the drip rate. Neither thing was "huge" by any means; I guess I just don't like the unexpected.

You know, given the amount of information they gave me during that pre chemo talk, they may have mentioned it after all! If they didn't write it down, it probably went in one ear...

• Ruddycat
    Ruddycat Member Posts: 13
    Options

Hi Everyone - just an quick update on how my first TCPH session went yesterday. And BTW, I'm using the letters in that order because it's the order I receive the drugs. I guess the Herceptin would normally come before Perjeta but they've reversed mine so I can count the Herceptin transfusion time as part of my 4 hours that I have to wear the cap after the last hair loss-causing drug. It was really a non-event - at least the chemo part - the cold capping keep us so busy that we really didn't have time to focus on anything else. But there really wasn't anything to notice! I used the Emla numbing cream I read about on here and didn't even feel them access my port. They flushed the port (brief weird taste in mouth) then started saline, Ativan, and Aloxi for nausea. Taxotere, Carboplatin and Perjeta were uneventful. They gave me 2 Extra Strength Tylenol and a Benadryl prior to starting the Herceptin which made me really drowsy - I pretty much slept through the 90 minutes of Herceptin except for when my husband woke me up to change my cap. I slept great last night and today I'm just a little fatigued. The only noticeable side effect I have today is that my face, mouth and tongue feel a little numb - has anyone else experienced this? I go back in this afternoon at 3pm to get my Neulasta shot and I'm going to ask them about it then.

Good luck to everyone's that's starting this week!

• GentleBird
    GentleBird Member Posts: 9
    Options

I just wanted to send hugs to everyone having their first treatment this month!! I will have my first TCHP treatment this Friday (2/12) and will have my Neulasta injection on Monday. Its the unknown that is always so hard to deal with -- but I'm finding extreme comfort in reading everyone's comments. I am planning on taking frozen peas to ice my hands and feet when the taxotere starts. Will also get the nail protector. Will also be sure to put lidocaine on saranwrap & tape over my port. Will make sure to hydrate and will take claritin on the day of the neulasta injection and for 4-5 days thereafter. I've already purchased my wig and will have my hair cut short either tomorrow or Thursday. When Friday arrives, I will be thinking of all of you and use your comfort & strength as I begin my journey.

• twiggyOR
    twiggyOR Member Posts: 246
    Options

Use something like a water bottle cap to cover the emla cream. Just tape it on you with scotch tape. The saran wrap smears the emla around and it doesn't stay on the port area as well.

• kiks1
    Options

@Myra, yep, the icing is to prevent neuropathy in the hands and feet. You could use frozen peas and carrots like Gentlebird said or I made my own gel packs. 2 Cups water, 1 Cup rubbing alcohol in a zip lock. Freeze and you are ready to go.

@Gentlebird, good luck, everything should go fine. Looks like you are well prepared. I didn't even feel them accessing my port, of course, they were busy handling me chocolates to distract me. It works! Lol.

Day 6, still going great other than a little ache here and there. Spent entire morning at PT, lunch, shopping, power walking 20 minutes, just got home at 6pm. No fatique so far. Fingers stilled crossed though, you never know. So excited I am going to get my fitting for wig tomorrow!

Best of luck and my prayers are with you everyone.

• TLIMS23
    TLIMS23 Member Posts: 13
    Options

Hey ladies,

I have a day of chemo under my belt and so far,things are pretty good. I'm just waiting to get hit with the awful SES we hear about but who knows maybe once I can get a brush of luck!

I drank about a gallon if water today and lots during treatment. I used the bathroom so much I was embarrassed. I was there for 8 hrs yesterday, this TCHP is a long all day event I see.

I received the neulasta shot today,it burned at first but quickly went away.

Crossing my fingers to see what the next few days will bring.

Xoxo xoxo good night all

• chambo
    chambo Member Posts: 88
    Options

My nurse navigator said the chemo effects are cumulative, so most people don't have too many issues with the first time. Let's you sort of have a sneak peek and come better prepared when the effects might really kick in.

In the meantime, I've got a pirate bandana set for the day I shave the head...just got to go with the humor!

• 33triple
    33triple Member Posts: 48
    Options

Chemo day 1 complete! Just wanted to send a quick note and let you all know I'm doing well . Aside from a little extra flush in my cheeks, I'm going great! I didn't have any of the reactions they look for in the extended 1st day . ☺️☺️☺️

Chemo went SO smoothly today and the cold cap process I was so nervous about was not bad at all. I guess my many years of battling 24 hour migraines finally paid off as the scalp freezing was like a having an itty bitty 10 minute migraine! I am a bit nervous that the freezer wasn't able to get all of my caps up to 30 degrees some as were as low as 25 so hoping I'm still in the clear!!

06elise,

Herceptin yesterday was also a non event. I did notice that water tasted different all day and even this morning. 

• Cindi74
    Cindi74 Member Posts: 69
    Options

Hi all. I won't be in this group because I started chemo September 2012. And I am still here. I just want to say that i had four chemos and then 12 Taxol and then 32 radiation--all in 9 months. I was 74. I never had nausea, so some don't. Once I got the port I had no pain. Every morning of chemo I cracked ice for two sandwich bags for my fingers during the red devil and ate a popsicle at the same time. No fingernails fell off although two toenails did. I never had mouth sores. There were 60 starting chemo in our group. Many are still in touch. I found the group so supportive. I recommend this website to anyone with cancer. The treatment is doable and results are improving constantly. Hang in there and hugs to all.

• Praline
    Praline Member Posts: 101
    Options

I was happy to see this thread. I was told by my BS that I probably would not have to do chemo if my margins and nodes were clean. I was surprised and freaking out when I found out that chemo was recommended. I talked to the MO and he said it was my decision but that he would recommend it. I decided to do chemo. I just feel like if I don't and in 2 or 3 years I have a recurrence I will think" I should have done chemo". So chemo ,here I come...

I start Friday, February 12.I do not have a port. When the nurse called about the appointments she said it would be done through an IV. Any of you having it through an IV?

The MO had said that I would probably be able to work. But when I went to my post op with the BS, he said he would not recommend working. He felt that chemo would make me very tired, and I am 74. Also I am not sure if the MO realized what I do for work. I am a teacher assistant in a Kindergarten class. The BS felt that working closely with little kids may not be a good idea. There are always a few sick, sneezing, coughing, etc. Last year we had to close the school for a couple of days because so many students had the flu. I usually do not get what is going around but that time I was sick , not with the flu but a bad chest congestion that took forever to go away. I will probably opt to stay home.

I am scared but ...

• Myraknits
    Options

@Kiks1, good to know. I asked the MO today and he said the newer drugs don't usually cause as bad SEs as the older ones. Thinks I may not get any on this TCHP. Good to have a back-up plan. And it is so encouraging to hear your doing so great! You mean this might not be as bad as we're anticipating?

@TLIMS 23, right behind ha! Had a full day of chemo and drank a ton. Man, between the I've fluids and the water I barely got back to the chair before I had to go again! I was worried that too much water would dilute the serums but the MO assured me, the drugs are smart enough to immediately head off in the right direction to do their job.

@Cindi74, thanks for popping in! It so good to hear someone say they Didn't have a SE! I think if we stay vigilante and stay in top of the symptoms rather than letting them get bad before treating them, we can manage them much better. Has this been your experience

• Lisa_lisMich
    Lisa_lisMich Member Posts: 1
    Options

Hi @praline I just had my first chemo session yesterday and I also had my injusions through an IV. Nothing to be concerned about with an IV.. My sister had used a port and she complained of irritation. The IV was in for 3 hours or so and my arm was elevated, but I didn't feel a thing. I think the worst part of the infusion was the initial prick of the needle! You'll be fine! Best of luck!!

• Konakona
    Konakona Member Posts: 30
    Options

Starting on Friday 3 FEC 3 Taxotere

• Praline
    Praline Member Posts: 101
    Options

Thank you Lisa... I'm a Lisa too. lol My infusion is supposed to be 90 minutes. I was just curious about the port. Even with a port, some people say the initial prick hurts. I have pretty good veins and I gave blood a l-o-o-o-ng time ago and I remember that needle being a good size and I was fine. When I had open heart surgery 10 years ago, I had MANY IVs with no problem except one time when the IV site was really bruised and sore.

I am just apprehensive about the whole thing... Meds of any kind scare me. I can have such weird reactions to them. Last fall when I had muscle spasms in my neck, my PCP gave me some muscle relaxer and I got dizzy and my heart rate went up way over 100.I would have thought the heart being a muscle it would do just the opposite. lol

• kiks1
    Options

Praline, I was apprehensive about getting the port too especially with only 4 treatments. I am glad I got it. It was so easy during chemo and blood draws ( and I am not skittish about needles). The port placement was rough the first 2 days but I am really loving it now. No, I did not feel anything during the initial prick, and the port wound was still fresh ( only inserted 2 days prior to use).

Ultimately, it would be your choice if your veins are not a problem. But just to assure you, the port was an easy issue.

• Myraknits
    Options

Praline I'm really glad I got the port. Made it very easy to go to the bathroom and do stuff with both arms. the wound site's sore for a few days but now it feels fine.

PS. for anyone needing to remove the superglue, I found a great tip...all you have to do is soak the area in a good thick oil like body oil or olive oil. I used morracan hair oil, then after rubbing it around gently for a minute, you can peel it right up from the edges and wash it off.

I got a prescription from my MO for a numbing cream you put on 1 hour before the initial poke so you don't feel a thing. Some facilities use a numbing spray so you can ask about those...