Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo in February 2016?

Options

Comments

• HausFrauMi
    HausFrauMi Member Posts: 113
    Options

I got my port Wednesday morning. It's worse than I expected. I think they pulled a muscle in my shoulder area. I expect the incision to have some pain and there is a little bruising. But the muscle strain feeling is what is bothering me the most. I can only take Tylenol for pain since I had a gastric bypass 12 yrs ago. I can only sleep on my back and I enjoy some side sleeping for part of the night so I'm uncomfortable.

I am taking a Prevacid daily to prevent the heartburn. It's better to just take it every day because it works better if it is already in your system.

I'm triple neg and starting my AC on 19th-- I was told to use Press N Seal to keep the Emla cream covered over the port. 4 AC then the 12 weekly Taxol should start approx April 15 assuming no delays.

I already take daily Zrytec instead of Claritin so hoping that helps. But I'll take Claritin if I need too. I am so glad I get the Neulasta button so I don't have to make a 2nd trip to the hospital.

Just hope this port gets more comfortable. I got a low profile smart port. Thought I was getting the purple power port but that is not what was implanted. Hubby says it was super fast procedure. They told him an hour and it was done in 35 mins. Maybe they rushed?? Caused problems. Sucks because I am left handed and my port is on the left.

How long before you start feeling the side effects from your Neulasta?? I'll prob have my injection about 4-5pm on Saturday. I think the button is programmed for 27 hrs after its attached to release the meds. The AC treatment appointment is supposed to run about 2 1/2 hrs then I go upstairs to MO nurse.

• Deaconlady
    Deaconlady Member Posts: 86
    Options

LOL Praline. I have CRS now. I hate to think what chemo brain will bring! So glad your first treatment went well.☺

• Deaconlady
    Deaconlady Member Posts: 86
    Options

Hi HausFrauMi. I had gastric bypass 14 months ago. I have let stress eating take over since dx in September. Hoping to get back on track.

• Ashley1221
    Ashley1221 Member Posts: 4
    Options

I am shocked to see so many young women fighting this battle. I was diagnosed at 29-- just turned 30-- happy birthday to me! Harvested eggs on Monday 2/8 and started TC on Wednesday 2/10. It's been quite a week!  Good luck to all. 

• KarenInCanada
    KarenInCanada Member Posts: 194
    Options

I also had my port put in on Wednesday morning. I guess I never expected it to feel as it does. I looked specifically in these forums after it to see if it was just me or the feelings from it were to be expected. Clearly the after effects were not explained very well.

My neck where the needle to freeze and put in calming drug was the worst area by far the first 24 hours. Painful and could not turn my head, but it had hurt quite a bit when it was initially done.

Then, the discomfort of this port, scared to move certain ways and tightness. I am glad I was able to read through the forums that I was not alone in this. Made me feel much better.

Everything else went fine this week. A little bit constipated from the anti nausea meds and tired after coming off the steroids but has passed now.

Thankful for everyone!

• kiks1
    kiks1 Member Posts: 118
    Options

@Hausfrau, your port should get better fairly quickly. Mine is in for about 10 days now and it no longer bothers me. I can roll around when I sleep. Neulasta gave me Ses about 4 days after but I think everyone is different. I only had one headache that was resolved with tylenol and stomach discomfort resolved with benadryl. They both lasted only for a few hours. I did take claritin and will stop tomorrow on my 10th day. I felt physical activity and hydration kept my SEs at bay.

• Myraknits
    Myraknits Member Posts: 191
    Options

Hi all! Just popping in to say I'm thinking about you.

I thought after 2 days out from chemo without major SEs, I was gonna skate by...no chance. This is definitely tough going but I just keep reminding myself, this too shall pass...but does it have to destroy my stomach on the way through ?!

A friend sent over some queasy pops which definitely help and I'm living on Bunny Graham's and Ginger Snaps. Even water tastes too acidic. Hopefully this will subside in a day or 2.

What I'm really bummed about is that I'm not even interested in Valentine's chocolate tomorrow!

Hope you're all hanging on ok. Happy Valentines' Day!

• Praline
    Praline Member Posts: 101
    Options

Everyone keeps talking about Neulasta. I have no idea what that is.

• kiks1
    kiks1 Member Posts: 118
    Options

Praline, it is the shot most MOs give the day after chemo to boost production of white blood cells in our bodies. Suppose to help protect us from infections because chemo kills all our good cells as well. Some get Neupogen instead of Neulasta. Unfortunately, they come with SEs as well.

• Praline
    Options

Thanks Kibs

• TLIMS23
    TLIMS23 Member Posts: 13
    Options

Good morning,

Nursing my first nosebleed this morning. All in all, no complaints if this means I'm on the road to cancer freedom :-)

Happy V-Day ladies

• Konakona
    Konakona Member Posts: 30
    Options

had my first chemo Friday afternoon and feeling like crap, nausea started big time on Friday , by Saturday I was better but after my Neulasta shot on Saturday afternoon nausea again. If I feel like this with my first I don't want to imagine the next one

• Myraknits
    Options

Konakona, I hear ya! During the worst of it I kept thinking no way could I do this again let alone 5 more times. I'm happy to report that 2 days after the worst parts I feel MUCH better. Just a little sour stomach and fatigue. I remember my MO saying it was like a really bad 4 day hangover. He wasn't kidding. I figure each one we do gets us closer to the end and cancer free!

• Konakona
    Konakona Member Posts: 30
    Options

I just hope I will be better by tomorrow because I am by myself with the kids. First 2 days felt like really bad first trimester pregnancy morning sickness, today I feel like big hangover

• chambo
    chambo Member Posts: 88
    Options

CRS is real...lol. Can't imagine compounding that with chemo brain. Heading back now to the cold and fog and first chemo from the warm awesomeness of Tucson.

If you need a sunshine escape, I highly recommend it.

I have had my Power Port in place for 3 weeks now...it does get better, btw. I rarely notice it now. I am hoping my Mondor's cording will start to ease up...that has been a surprise side effect I didnt anticipate.

The MO's office has been changing my appts all around, so I am not exactly sure what to expect. I have a 30 min infusion bed and 3 follow up appts (MO, Pharma, and Nutrionist) between Tuesday and Wednesday this week, but then my next tx they have me scheduled for a 4 hour infusion with a 30 min the following day...so I am totally confused. I guess they will explain it all when I get there but I hate being the last know. Feels very out of my control that way.

Happy Valentine's Day, btw!!

Heart

• Myraknits
    Options

I Hope you feel better too! I keep thinking about you guys with kids, wondering how you're managing. My heart goes to it to you

• scotbird
    scotbird Member Posts: 592
    Options

Praline so glad your first chemo was uneventful, may it continue that way for us all. It is such arelief to know that you've got started and will soon be getting to the next one, and then through this whole episode and back to some kind of normal. Haus and Karen, hoping that the ports are settling down and you are starting to feel more comfortable with them. I've just realised that I've joined the wrong thread as my first infusion was on 29th Jan. Am loving the "CRS syndrome" dx! Think I will just stick with all you Fab Febs if you don't mind as too late to join the Jan thread now. Cosmic hugs to you all from bonnie Scotland. X

• HausFrauMi
    Options

How have you all been with driving after infusion (not that day but after)???

Just wondering if I am going to feel home bound! I think we need to get a new dog here soon to make me get out and walk! Otherwise I am naturally prone to sit on the couch and drink coffee while using the iPad.

Have you so far been able to do your normal daily activities between nauseous episodes???

I think I should ask for a muscle relaxer for the shoulder.

Remember to add flavor to your water if it tastes yucky. I got sparkling flavored waters and vitamin water (zero calories) since I have to limit sugar with my gastric.

It's a winter break for the kids today so it was nice to sleep in! Looks like we got an inch of snow overnight.

• Praline
    Options

HausFrau- I just had my first treatment this past Friday( Feb. 12). I could not drive Friday... very lightheaded. But I have been driving since.

• HausFrauMi
    Options

With the port in place I am wondering how a repeat MRI will work. I'm pretty sure that the board I was laying elevated on will be pushing on my port ?!?? I'm due for one prob at the end of chemo.

Praline- you don't get neulasta after Taxol from my understanding there needs to be a 2 week break btw infusions for them to give it. I will only get it after my 4 AC treatments. I see you are triple negative- is there a reason you aren't getting the AC part of the chemo? ACT seems to be the normal course of meds for TNBC.

Did anyone have to ask to have their Cytoxan pushed slowly over the 10 mins? My chemo nurse said it helps with nausea. I will remember to suck on ice chips during the A!!

Also-if you haven't-- add your chemo drugs to your profile so when you are talking about SE's we can check to see if it is the same meds we are getting for comparison!!

• Ashley46
    Ashley46 Member Posts: 5
    Options

Hi everyone, just had my first chemo (CT) today. It has been 7 hours n feelng ok, just a bit tired n toes a bit tinglish. Off to bed now n hoping to hv minimal se. Needing your advise as to how I could minimise se... Ie diet? Exercise?

Thanks a lot

Ash

• Jonsey22
    Jonsey22 Member Posts: 7
    Options

Hello Feb 2016 chemo group. I have just found out that I will be doing 4 rounds of TC. I had hoped the negative nodes would mean I would get to skip chemo, but the onc wants it. I don't want to ever feel like I didn't do everything in my power to stop a recurrence so I am wrapping my head around dealing with chemo. I am currently waiting on one more test, and don't have a start date yet. Might be March but who cares. Just need a forum with people who are in the same boat to join. Hope you don't mind. The bone scan, CT scan, and echo freak me out a bit. Hope nothing shows up. Just want to introduce myself. 42 years old. 2 boys (17 and 13). On leave from work as a professor of education. I have never spent this much time by myself EVER. Not sure if this is God's way of teaching me a lesson lol.

• AH2016
    AH2016 Member Posts: 1
    Options

I also started TC on Feb 4th! 4 rounds every 21 days followed by radiation. How are you feeling?

• hanley50
    hanley50 Member Posts: 78
    Options

HausFrauMi - You must have been reading my mind. I was wondering the same thing about the f/u MRI. I could barely get through the first one without the port it was so uncomfortable. I have no idea how I will get through one with this port in my chest. I guess it's just one more thing that we will have to do to get through this.

• Ashley46
    Ashley46 Member Posts: 5
    Options

hi Jonsey22 and AH2016, I started TC yesterday and for 4 rounds too. It's been 14 hours n so far feeling ok... Just a bit tired. The nurse told me the SE will normally kick in after 24-48 hours so finger cross it will bevery minimum. I hv been drinking lots of water...will keep all updated as to the progress....

Ash

• scotbird
    scotbird Member Posts: 592
    Options

Welcome Jonsey and AH, so sorry to hear that you have to join us, but sure you will find it a comfort to be able to post and to have others in the same boat to compare notes with and ask questions. We can support each, get through this together, and maybe even take something positive out of it. I have been feeling great this week, back to my normal self, (I'm on day 17 after the first treatment but joined the wrong thread, should have been Jan but didn't realise). The treatment I am having is called FEC-T over here in Scotland - it's the same drugs but called CEF in the US. I felt fine to drive straight away after the first one, although I had my friend driving me just in case. My only really bad day was day 6 post treatment. I felt rubbish and stayed in bed all day but was OK after that and since then each day has got better. Am slightly dreading the next one now as the SEsmay get worse each time from what I hear. Oh well, it must be done! X

• Praline
    Options

HausFrau- I am not sure why I am getting only Taxol. It may have something to do with my age. I will be 75 in a few months. When the MO discussed chemo with me he said that if I were younger, I would probably get a more aggressive treatment. He also said that at the team meeting where my case was discussed, everyone there was in agreement that "my cancer" should be treated with chemo but my age was ????? Even my BS was surprised that the MO wanted to do chemo because of my age. It was left up to me whether to do chemo or not. It was a really big decision. I was worried about my heart. I had open heart surgery 10 years ago. My cardiologist helped me make the decision to do chemo.

Good luck with your MRI.

Everyone here, I am sending prayers and positive thoughts your way.

• HausFrauMi
    Options

Praline-- I'm sure it was the Cardiac issues! The A part has a lifetime dose you can get because of the problems to the heart. Which concerns me at my age (42) I need my heart to last a lot longer!!!! Can't win either way can we?!?

I won't get another MRI til after chemo I think --so July range before surgery.

Working on obtaining a dog to make me exercise!! Haven't told hubby yet I have an appt to meet a rescue tomorrow evening. :

• chambo
    chambo Member Posts: 88
    Options

8 am tomorrow starts round #1 for me.

HausFrauMi - I have your exact same dx (same staging and TN to boot), but I am getting docetaxel and cyclophosphamide (TC) for 4 rounds. We are close to the same age. Not sure what makes them choose one tx over the other in this case. You can find all the recommended regimens followed by the doctors for Stage 1&2 here: http://www.nccn.org/patients/guidelines/stage_i_ii...

Hi to all the newly joined February people!

I found out I am getting Nuelasta, as well. My MO hadn't mentioned it, but a 30 minute new appointment 24 hours after my chemo tomorrow popped up on my electronic appointment notice, and then the doctor's office called and confirmed it. For those of you who have had experience with Nuelasta, did you take the Claritin the morning of your shot or after the fact?

I also keep hearing about all of you having the CT's and ekg and all prior to starting - there's been no mention of that for me - maybe because it is a different cocktail? Ugh...I hate not knowing things that I feel like I need to know before they ever start.

• __asher__
    __asher__ Member Posts: 106
    Options

Hi all,

I'm new to the boards, about one week from my diagnosis. I will be getting neo adjuvant chemo beginning in a week. Depending on what the PET scan reads, I'll be getting Projeta, Dosataxel, and Caroplatinum. I get my port in Friday.

It's so good to have others to go through this with although I wish we were supporting one another for other reasons