Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Dogs, dogs, dogs!

Options

Comments

• cp418
    cp418 Member Posts: 359
    edited June 2017
    Options

We always thought we would have Sparky for many years being only 5 years old - so this came as a huge shock. We just lost a large Pom mix who was age 16 in Oct 2016 to lung cancer. Duffy was a rescue too who we for 14 years. It feels like we just got our Sparky. I will meet today with our regular Vet to discuss future plans. So far, Sparky is alert and eating. I'm cooking organic beef burgers and chicken with added bone broth. Waiting for the mushroom extract to arrive today. We researched clinical trials for immuno vaccine therapy but like many trials they are for dogs who had already failed on chemo or have not had prednisone. Likewise, many are too far across the country. I went through chemo myself and had a rough time on it - so I cannot consider the stress of the treatments and other testing involved. His QOL is our top priority now.

• vixxyn
    vixxyn Member Posts: 28
    edited July 2017
    Options

Tammy (on the table) and Wizzer (on the bench). She's min pin & heeler, the vet thinks he's rat terrier & chihuahua.

Camping last summer. They both thought the bunny was very entertaining!

• keepthefaith
    keepthefaith Member Posts: 856
    edited July 2017
    Options

BB, wow, what a hard thing to go through. I had a 90 lb dog that was arthritic also and his senior supplements did help him for a while. He passed at 13 and I did have to have him put to sleep. He couldn't get up and out the door and peed all over himself, on his bed several times. He stopped eating. The look on his face told it all. I think they know when it is time and they will tell you. Maybe it's a question to ask your vet.

Another option might be to call a rescue group. I volunteer for a rescue and they have what they call "Silverhearts" dogs within their group. They are all seniors. The foster parent takes care of the dog until it passes and the non-profit rescue group pays for medical expenses while in their care. I don't know if that might be an option for you. I know that's a hard call to make bc they are like family. The group screens the foster and does a home check before allowing a foster to take care of them.

Best wishes in your move.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 46,994
    edited July 2017
    Options

I am so sorry, Bosum. You are doing the best you can. Hugs!

• sweetp6217
    sweetp6217 Member Posts: 120
    edited August 2017
    Options

For those who may have lost it (gotten mad at their pets for doing things), here is my story:

I adopted a 1-year old dog who was like a puppy. She could play by herself, with herself and got along greatly with my flat-coated retriever. Then one day it all changed. She started having seizures and at first, I didn't know what it was. Fast forward 12 years and she was still with us. It wasn't easy. She liked to sleep on the bed so of course I got into the habit of placing towels underneath the worst blanket you could imagine. She was happy and there were few seizures, after 4 months. Nightly, or almost so, she would fly into a seizure and go wild on the bed (#1 and #2) and #3 (from her mouth). The poor thing didn't know what was going on and would start stumbling as soon as it was over. If she didn't have an accident, I would carry her (37 LBS) all the way downstairs and outside, put her on a leash and walk her in our dog run. When she did have a seizure, I would wait until she calmed down, then give her a quick bath. All this time, she got medicine for her illness and people told me I should just put her down. But after those few months of trying different drugs, she didn't have any seizures for years!

I always had a reason to go home and take care of my dear sick dog. By the way, when I picked her up to take her outside, I would wrap her carefully in a thick beach towel. No accidents on my shift (or arm). One or more times, I really did almost totally lose it when having to clean up the carpet yet one more time (#2) when I didn't recognize that she was about to have the seizure. If only it had been #1.

All I need with my dogs are a crap load of towels, a good washing machine, and the knowledge that not having them is much worse than that. Having said all this, the decision that some may need to make is their own and I respect that.

SillyHeart

• castigame
    castigame Member Posts: 336
    edited September 2017
    Options

I never had a dog until Scarlett, aka master came along, I even used to have allergies to dogs. No allergy to her from the day 1

She is about 8 yrs old, Hubby picked her out from local shelter mainly due to her size and no bark despite she is a beagle. It was 7 yrs ago.

It took alomost a month to have a released due to kennel cough. We took her home and boy she was sick from the mandatory hyst. My hubby was asked by regular vet how much more he wanted to invest in her. She got attacked by two unstable greyhounds right after she recovered from hyst.

She is really food motivated. I cook for her when I dont for my DH as early as 5 am. I came up with this "take food off of mommys mouth" I put her treats on the tip of my lips and let her grab it from them. I came up w dogi song which only has one word "dogi "n the song. I just pronounce dogi 15 diff ways,

We use gasoline for the sole purpose of giving her car ride. We gladly charged about $5000.00 for her back surgery a yr ago. She has no restriction in the house.

Even though she is my hubbys dog, she wanted to bite my hubbys head off when we came home from BMX. She had the look to my hubby " what did you do to mommy" She still thinks I am her nemesis vying for my hubbys affection.

Even though she is extremely food motivated, she declined food from me two in a row when I was in bad shape due to chemo. It was banana bits which she likes. She had this look " mommy you need it more than I do want it"

Mimi

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 46,994
    edited September 2017
    Options

That is a lucky dog!

Here is a video that will make you cry happy tears!

https://www.facebook.com/thepetcollective/videos/1832384163443047/

• Herculesmulligan
    Herculesmulligan Member Posts: 61
    edited November 2017
    Options

Here's my girl Friday resting her head on her antler so no one takes it. Looks comfy!!

• micmel
    micmel Member Posts: 9,896
    edited November 2017
    Options

I love love love dogs. They are such friends, they don't care if you have hair, or if you haven't shaved your legs in over a month, because you don't have too. They don't care now that my hair is growing back, when I wake up I have this Don King hair style going on. They just love unconditionally! I have my grand puppy Chief, I baby sit him two times a week. Which is tomorrow, this is him last week. He is such a fun pleasant puppy he is 13 weeks old in this pic. I adore him!! Love this thread! I also have two dogs one is a coon hound, who is nine. I'll show later and our rescue, who is turning ten,also show later! Have a great night! ~M~

• micmel
    edited November 2017
    Options

image........no mommy I wasn't in your trash can honestly. What makes you say that??

• micmel
    edited November 2017
    Options

image...... here is our other rescue.. he is a very well behaved loyal dog. Very timid. Must have been in a rough home with small kids or other dogs. He's a little affectionate dog. Some rescues are perfect dogs! ~M~

• Loveroflife
    Loveroflife Member Posts: 4,243
    edited November 2017
    Options

Lol @ the possessive and naughty ones.

Sweet lab retriever mixed.

Love the " baby cows". Hah!

• micmel
    edited November 2017
    Options

imageHappens, the princes and princesses don't want their paws wet!!

• Sopho
    Sopho Member Posts: 6
    edited December 2017
    Options

I have been squeeeing my way through this thread!

Here are my loves. My Dr.s are out of the area and I am missing them like crazy. I am very sad that when I get back I cant cuddle with them like I usually do.

Higgs, our eldest at 9 years. He is 100lbs, tall, lanky, and no one knows exactly what makes him up. Maybe something shepherdy and something big....

Hank, our big comfort loving soaker. He is 110 lbs, part chocolate lab, part bull mastiff

and Cass, our newest pup adopted just weeks before I found the lump. She is part pitbull and part English mastiff. We are hoping she is a little smaller than our boys, but she is growing at a good clip. She is such a sweetheart and has been a great distraction through all this.

I love our furry (and non-furry) family members. Cant wait to be home with them again!

• rpoole1962
    rpoole1962 Member Posts: 386
    edited December 2017
    Options

Sopho, What beautiful lovely pups! I can tell you take great care of them and that warms my heart. Dog bring so much love and healing into out lives and anyone who doesn't have one in there life is missing out!

The 2 loves of my life passed away a year ago August and 2 years ago June. MY Baby & Freeway! Baby passed at 15 of lung cancer and Freeway lived to be 17 years and 2 months old!! My Vet said it was remarkable considering his breed and size. Baby was a black and tan mixed, and Freeway was a Catahoula Cattle Dog. Here are there pics!

Miss my loves every single day!! I shower my room in pictures keep them close to my heart will they will alsways be.

I vouluteered in Gatlinburg at Gound Zero where they were bringing in all the displaced dogs. Dogs were coming in by the hundreds. Many were never claimed, so I decided I wasn't leaving without giving one of these babies a new home. I adopted Willy Dec 13 of last year. He is approaching his one year anniversary with me. This is my baby love .....Willy!

• micmel
    edited December 2017
    Options

Poole~ I am so sorry about your babies. I know they become like family. Soon we are ready to lose our rescue dog Tag. He's a good dog and just wanted a loving home. He is the reddish brown dog I posted about earlier above . He's growing old man eye brows now And his back legs are going. It is breaking our heart. I adore him. It does really effect us. When they get so old! I adore Willy!!!! He's a precious angel. What a sweet thing you did for him! I believe perhaps you are his angel! 😇 🤗🤗he's magnificent, I can tell already he's spoiled. I love dogs.

This is my grand puppy Chief.... he is only 17 weeks and growing like crazy ! He says Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays! Hugs to all the doggie lovers!

• rpoole1962
    edited December 2017
    Options

Micmel, Sorry to hear that Tag is getting older.

This is Baby in some her last days. This pic may look a little sad, but the story of the pic will make you think its beautiful. My nephew was laying in bed and Baby scooted over to get close to him. Spencer is the one who named her, so they were very close. She put her face right in his and I had to take the pic. It was almost like she was saying goodbye to him. I don't have this pic in my room anywhere bc I do see the sadness in it too.

But let me tell you my story about Freeway. He was 17 and could no longer hear that much. I do believe he heard me when laying in bed stroking his head and talking to him. He was very weak in the back legs and was urinating all the time. He was not in any pain, so I would never consided putting him down. So as I would with any love of my life, improvised with what I had. I placed a large shower curtain on the floor first, and piled old blankets on top of the shower curtain. He had to be helped up and out of my bed because he couldn't jump anymore. I would place him on the blankets where he could potty. This was his nighttime routine. During the day, I would carry him outside and have to hold him up to potty. Some times we would lay on a blanket out in the sun. He still kew me and constantly licked my face. He had had a couple of seizures but bounced right back in a day or two other love-Baby, passed away the previous June. She nevered showed any signs of aging whatsoever. She started losing weight and was diagnosed with the dreaded lung cancer. She stared declining rapidly but kept her by my side as long as there were no pain symptoms. I rubbed her head overnight and sang Pandora radio to her. She loved every single minute of it because she had my full undivided attention......without Freeway around. I never left her side except to bath or the bathroom. My test to seeeif she was in pain, was to call out to her as i entered the room. Her tail would beat the bed in full motion, and she would raise her head and ears were perched. I knew then as long as I got that happy response then putting her down would have to wait.. I enjoyed taking care of her through here illness because it was my turn, she had taking care of me for 15 years. At the end I was using a syringe for food and water. My vet said I would just know when that dreaded time came. He was right. I saw it in her eyes and she didn't pass the happy puppy tail wag test. My mom drove me to the vet and Baby was in my lap on a pillow. I talked to her all the way there and was bawling my eyes out. My sweet girl was trying to comfort her mama by pushing her head under my hand. She was there for me until she took her final breath.

That was hands down one of the worst days of my life. It was worse that being diagnosed stage 4. That may sound weird but I knew my life would never be the same without my soulmates. I never had children...they were it. I was a little fortunate that I didn't have to have freeway put down. He died overnight in his sleep. A small blessing, but I could not witness what I did with Baby. I am not strong enough.

Sorry for the rambling message, I just wanted to try to convey what I went through and how much my beloved fur kids meant to me.!!

I am attaching a pic of Baby in her final days and she is pictured with my nephew who actually was the one to name her when he was just 2 years old. He would not hear of any other name but Baby!! So it worked and it was perfect.

I miss my 2 loves every single day but my room is showered with their happy memories. I even ordered 2 granite stones with their pictures engraved on them and my Dad built a sanctuary. I need to switch out the white rocks my Dad used and I want to put shades of brown peoples. Once it is complete, I will post a pic.

Robin

Take care of that beautiful aging Tag!!

• micmel
    edited December 2017
    Options

well of course I am sitting here bawling like a baby right now, while so very sad and breaks my heart. It was one of the most precious things I have heard in a long time abut a doggie. I am sorry that you lost your precious best friend. I have to lift Tag up to get on the sofa now. His legs aren't as strong as they used to be. He's a bigger dog. I don't know what I'll do. My heart is already breaking thinking about it. Your story melted my heart. The love we have for our animals and our animals love us. Amazing. Thank you for sharing! I Am going to kiss my dogs. Right now. We thought we had lost him a few weeks ago. We thought he must've have had a stroke. Not responding, no wagging, swaying....no eye contact. Then all of a sudden, he was better, not young better, but responding and wagging and attentive. My DH was sure he was declining. Then limping started. He seems still responsive and is going outside on his own. I don't know what I would do if something happened. I adore him as well, he's my pal. Spends every single day with me and my other hound dog! They are our pack ! Your story breaks my heart. They are truly that precious! Hugs to you! ❤️

• micmel
    edited December 2017
    Options

this is the day we thought we were losing him. Even the hound dog Deeohgee was watching his very best friend with concern. ❤️image

• rpoole1962
    edited December 2017
    Options

Micmel, Thank for you comment on my email. I loved those dogs more that my own life!!! You give your boy all the love and attention he deserves. And remember, sometimes they go down and are unresponsive.......It happened to Freeway a number of times.....but he was determined to live, and in such a short time he rebounded. I read somewhere that your dog knows you need him and he does not want to leave you either. So an old dog can hang on longer than he should have. I truly believe this was exactly what was happening with Freeway. I mean I would cry to him and pet him and ask him not to leave me....just not now!!! He bounced back so many times, that my Dad told me "Freeway refuses to die." I replied, he knows I am still grieving for Baby and he is not leaving me anytime soon. He lived another year and 2 months after Baby's passing. 17 years and 2 months old......Incrediable!!!!

You have sweet baby's, so sweet how Deeohgee is watching over Tag! Melts my heart!

Love them and cherish every single moment~

Robin

• Sopho
    Sopho Member Posts: 6
    edited December 2017
    Options

Reunited and it feels so good....

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited December 2017
    Options

So love my furbaby. image

• micmel
    edited December 2017
    Options

beautiful!!!!!! I love his color. He must be a young one! 😊

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited December 2017
    Options

He’s actually 9 years old Micmel. He is a beautiful dog. Everywhere we go someone comments on how gorgeous he is. He is a rescue and actually my son’s dog but he lives with us. My son can’t give him the attention we can plus our neighborhood is better for him

He started playing with his “babies” again when my two grandsons were playing with their stuffed animals. It surprised us but it’s so cute!

I take him on a ride every day down a road that is like animal farm. Cows, goats and horses and he never fails to get excited. Of course he barks non-stop.

I have always had a dog so I can’t imagine life without one. I am a huge animal rights advocate and contribute regularly to several causes.

That story broke my heart too. We love our fur babies so much because they are part of the family. When they pass away they take a big chunk of our heart with them.

Diane

• micmel
    edited December 2017
    Options
    our rescue Tag, could be his twin. Our tag is nine also. But he's getting old man eyebrows and sinking body muscles. But I still love him so much. We thought we were going to loose him last month. It was scary. I'm with you, they are so much like our children. I love them so very much! My hound dog is nine also amen he is just mischief embodied!! But when he done being his cat like hunter. He comes calling to cuddle. I have also always had a dog no matter what! I can't imagine not having one. I actually give the dogs credit, for helping me make as much physical progress as I have. They keep you moving moving ! Good to see you Edwards! Miss you on our thread! 😊🌹~M~
  • micmel
    edited December 2017
    Options

imageHere is the hound for a cuddle. ~M~

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,173
    edited December 2017
    Options

imagejust a funn

• micmel
    edited December 2017
    Options

lol and walked up hill in the snow for miles to get to school! That's what I always heard lol. Adorable picture !

• micmel
    edited December 2017
    Options

image.....here is our old rescue tag. Sleeping his little heart out. So far he's holding his own. But he is shaky these days. He's such an angel. We love him.