Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Dogs, dogs, dogs!

Options

Comments

• rpoole1962
    rpoole1962 Member Posts: 386
    edited January 2017
    Options

Sully aka Bucky is adorable!!! Good luck with your surgery! I am sure your baby with help you get through!

• Mominator
    Mominator Member Posts: 1,173
    edited January 2017
    Options

Our little S'more was in big trouble last night.

S'more and DD on a recent walk.

S'more was under the kitchen table while we were eating dinner. (Usually he likes to curl up and rest near us. We do not feed him table scraps.)

He started biting DD's foot. I grabbed his harness to pull him away from DD and he chomped down hard on my hand. His tooth punctured a hole in the back of my hand. DD's foot is fine.

We were wondering what might have triggered the incident. We think there may have been some food that landed near DD's foot. S'more was defending his treat from her, and even more from me.

My hand is bruised and very sore this morning.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 46,953
    edited January 2017
    Options

Yeouch, watch out for the hand. If it gets red or hot, get to the doctor for some antibiotics.

• Lita57
    Lita57 Member Posts: 2,338
    edited January 2017
    Options

Bosom, go ahead with the foster thing. You can always give the dog back if it doesn't work.

• Mominator
    edited January 2017
    Options

Ruth: I washed out the wound, and then drowned it in Bactine, and then I put Neosporin triple-antibiotic cream on the Band-Aid. You can be sure I'm watching it very closely: dog bite, puncture wound, and hand. Plus I'm a flutist. Any of those 4 would be reason enough to go to the doctor. It is swollen today, but not red nor hot. It aches whenever I move it, stretch it, or carry anything.

BosumBlues, S'more is usually a very good-natured dog. It's just once in a while he snaps, usually a possession thing. His name is S'more. I had a typo in my post.

BosumBlues, Go ahead and try fostering again. There is a great need. You can let them know your situation and ask them if they have a foster dog that would fit in your household.

• Mominator
    edited January 2017
    Options

BosumBlues: your post didn't feel judgey to me.

Our children were 10, 13, and 16 when we got the dog. DD is 18 now. They know any dog can snap.

• keepthefaith
    keepthefaith Member Posts: 856
    edited January 2017
    Options

BB, I have fostered in the past and it is very rewarding. I did foster my current baby until I adopted her and have had one foster with her so far. She is more alpha so have to find the right dog that will put up with her, but she loves to have a playmate. The group I foster for has a lot of support, so I never feel like I am left in a sticky situation that I cannot resolve. They also provide all medical needs and food, if needed. If you are looking to adopt, it is also a great way to get to know a dog/cat before making a commitment!

Bucky and Mylo are adorable!

Mominator, too bad our furry friends can't tell us what they are thinking!:) Gotta love em!

• ruthbru
    edited January 2017
    Options

Pictures, please! Smile

• annoyingboob
    annoyingboob Member Posts: 459
    edited January 2017
    Options
  • ruthbru
    edited January 2017
    Options

Cute!

• deeem
    deeem Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2017
    Options

My two beautiful rescue boys, have been together since puppyhood.  Approx. 12 years old now.  These two are black lab mixes, but I also have a rescue Chihuahua, she's about 7 years old and relatively new to us.  She's the boss!  Love them all!
  • Lita57
    edited January 2017
    Options

Sofia has figured out a new way to wear her Christmas bandana. We rescued her 3 1/2 years ago.

• keepthefaith
    edited January 2017
    Options

BB, I'm glad you are going to foster. One thing about fostering, you can always stop when you want to!

Sofia is adorable in her bandana!

DeeEm, love the pups!...on another subject...there is a Hill Country Warriors Thread on the forum. A few of us get together from time to time. Would love you to join us! I think we may do something this month, but nothing set yet. PM me if you would like.

• ruthbru
    edited January 2017
    Options

Join the Hill Country ladies, DeeEm. They are fun Happy

• Lita57
    edited January 2017
    Options

Sofia in hibernation mode.

• ruthbru
    edited January 2017
    Options

Darn it!

• Lita57
    edited January 2017
    Options

Bosum...life expectancy has actually increased a bit for Bulldogs. Ten to twenty years ago, they had an average life expectancy of 7-8 years. Thanks to better nutrition and veterinary care, some of them now live beyond 10 years. But of course, it varies from dog to dog. Our first Bulldog, Tiffy, came down with cancer and died at age 8; our foster Bulldog made it past 11, but she had quite a few health issues in her last few years. Our current Bulldog, Sofia, will be 6 in April. She's pretty mellow and calm, so we hope to have her for at least a few more years of good health and energy.

Bulldogs have been seriously over bred over the years because of their popularity on TV and commercials. If you don't get your dog from an AKC (American Kennel Club) approved breeder, God only knows what you're getting and how many problems you'll have. The California chapters of the Bulldog Club of America are pretty strict when it comes to breeding for the breed standard and optimal health of the dogs. Our Sofia is a rescue dog and she's pretty healthy, comparatively speaking. Our other dogs had some pretty serious issues from breathing (elongated soft palate) and acid reflux barfing, to dry eyes, hip dysplasia and bad allergies that affected skin and ears. These are HIGH maintenance dogs. So many people don't do their homework regarding problematic health issues, and they get these dogs because they think they look tough and "cool"...they essentially want a status symbol. But once the dogs turn 1 or 2 and the health issues start to kick in, they get neglected and surrendered to rescue because either the owners no longer want to be bothered with it or they simply can't afford the vet bills anymore. Some times the dogs die early because of this neglect. After we bring them into rescue, we can only do so much after months and years of damage has already been done.

A friend of mine has had a few Rottweilers and German Shepherds, and they don't live that long either. I've heard the bigger the dog, the smaller the life span. JunieB's little Kirby should live past 15!

Lita

• keepthefaith
    edited January 2017
    Options

BB, sorry you couldn't foster....maybe it just isn't in the cards right now; God only knows! Maybe there is another way you can help, such as walking shelter dogs or being at adoption events. I have done a lot of adoption events and some transporting to shelters, also. I understand where you are coming from. I don't have a lot of spare money either, but I am able to give my time. Every little bit helps!

Love little Sofia!

• Lita57
    edited January 2017
    Options

Although I love my Bulldogs, my absolute favorites are Siberian Huskies. They are very smart dogs and require a lot of training and exercise or they can get anxious and destructive. I don't have the yard space for one. I believe it's important to know what your household limitations are.

I used to watch the Dog Whisperer and a lot of people get in trouble because they either don't have the time to train the dog, don't know the personality traits and temperament issues of that particular breed or both. Dogs aren't stuffed toys. They require a lot of time and patience.

Stepping off the soapbox now :o).

• ruthbru
    edited January 2017
    Options

Here's me and my favorite Siberian Husky. My sister's dog, so I guess that makes her my niece. A smart, sweet dog who definitely makes sure you get your exercise. She is unusual for that breed because she loves to go swimming!

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,173
    edited January 2017
    Options

In the Tampa Bay Times comics this am. I'm sure we all agreeimage

• Loveroflife
    Loveroflife Member Posts: 4,243
    edited January 2017
    Options

Hahaha

• spookiesmom
    edited January 2017
    Options

That's what puppy mill operators deserve.

• spookiesmom
    edited January 2017
    Options

imageYup hesmy rescue.

• Mominator
    edited January 2017
    Options

Last evening, S'more jumped up on the couch and fell with a loud crash. We rushed to check on him and he couldn't stand up. His back legs would not support his weight. We went to the 24-hour veterinarian hospital. By the time we got there, S'more could put weight on his legs again, although a bit wobbly.

He had an exam, and a complete blood panel. Vet wanted to take X-rays, but since he recently ate, it would be non-sedated. S'more doesn't stay still for anything, so we didn't think X-rays would be helpful. I suggested that we take a "wait and see" approach.

Vet thinks it's soft tissue injury and sent us home with pain and anti-inflammatory meds, and limited activities for 72 hours.

• bikefam
    bikefam Member Posts: 98
    edited January 2017
    Options

Hope S'More feels better soon.

• ruthbru
    edited January 2017
    Options

Aw.....one of my cats sprain her paw when she escaped after she was surprised by a big dog. Maybe he mis-judged the jump and landed wrong.

• Loveroflife
    edited January 2017
    Options

Aww... poor S'more.

• Loveroflife
    edited January 2017
    Options

This is heart-wrenching, but sweet at the same time. Amazing how love can rescue a broken creature.

Warning: not easy to watch at the beginning.

• obsolete
    obsolete Member Posts: 333
    edited January 2017
    Options

R.I.P. my sweet baby girl (Cancer lost ... Heaven won.)

Re. Video... love surely conquers all. Thank you LoverOfLife.

Loving energy & hugs to your precious paws ...