Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Savi radiation treatment

Options

Comments

• Irishgirl711
    Irishgirl711 Member Posts: 88
    edited August 2018
    Options

I saw the breast surgeon for a consult and was offered a mastectomy with reconstruction or a lumpectomy/oncoplasty with reduction and lift of the unaffected breast to make them symmetrical, followed by full breast radiation.

I chose the lumpectomy again.

However, the BS was concerned that I got DCIS again in a year, so she wanted to get an MRI of both breasts to make sure that there is nothing brewing in either breast. If there is, I will have no choice but a mastectomy and possibly bilateral mastectomy if anything shows, because it will indicate that my body has a propensity to produce thus type of cancer.

I had the MRI yesterday (horrible ordeal if you are slightly claustrophobic like I am!). I was in that machine on my belly for about 30 minutes, but it needed to be done, so I tried to take deep breaths and not think about the closed in feeling, just to get it done.

I see the Oncologist on Tuesday and the radiologist on Thursday. The BS will not call me back for a consult unless the MRI shows something because the game plan has been set for the lumpectomy.

The surgery will be set up for the second week of September.

Yoga,

Wow. So sorry to hear of your ordeal. I hope that now that you have made a decision about radiation treatment that everything runs smoothly. Good luck on the chemo decision, too.

Thanks, Ceanna, Patsy, JKLand all of you for the thoughts and prayers.

I am moving firward and taking one step at a time.

• ceanna
    ceanna Member Posts: 3,120
    edited August 2018
    Options

myyoga, all the best to you as you proceed with your choice of treatment. Sounds like you have a lot of things going on and I'm glad you and your doctors were able to come up with a treatment plan you are comfortable with. There's no one path and we each must make choices best for our own situation. Please let us know how you are doing!

Irishgirl, you, too, have lots of decisions to be made and doctor's appointments to keep. I'm glad you have some options and hope that as you work your way through to a plan, you feel good with your options.

Thinking and praying for you both.

• Irishgirl711
    edited September 2018
    Options

Well, my MRI showed no other cancer in either breast, so I can go with the lumpectomy and reconstruction. The BS will take out the DCIS, along with an ample tissue sample to get clear margins.

There will be a plastic surgeon there, because with my prior surgery and this one, I will have lost a lot of breast tissue.

The surgeon will transfer the tissue and also cut the other breast and remove tissue to match the size of the other, so I won’t be “lopsided”. I have rather large breasts to begin with, so I can afford to lose some, I suppose.

Once I heal, I will commence with six weeks radiation treatments to make sure that there are no more microscopic cancer cells looming.

Wish me luck, ladies, I am going to need it.

• Katszr
    Katszr Member Posts: 11
    edited September 2018
    Options

Good luck to you! 🙏🏼 So sorry you have to go through this all again so soon. Do you feel at all that Savi wasnt a good choice the first time around? I worry about that Ll the time.

• Irishgirl711
    edited September 2018
    Options

Hi, Katszr

No, I don’t question my choice of the SAVI. This current DCIS did not show at my six month mammogram and full breast radiation was not even suggested. In fact, the SAVI was suggested as a preventative in case there was some cells that were forming in the area of the original tumor. I had a large section of tissue removed. My margins were clean and lymph nodes, too.

This DCIS is on the opposite side and near the chest wall, an area untouched by surgery or SAVI.

There is no way to tell if full breast radiation would have stopped it from growing or if it would have shown on an MRI (which I did not have last year), say the doctors.

We all went with the diagnosis based on the biopsy and pathology report and there was no reason to think that I had any other DCIS growing or starting.

Just bad luck, I guess, but luckily, I can have the lumpectomy and full breast radiation because the MRI did not reveal any other cancer in the same or other breast.

I am hoping this is it.

• ceanna
    edited September 2018
    Options

Irishgirl, sorry you have to have additional surgery but glad you had some options. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Please let us know how you're doing--how soon is the LX and revision? All the best to you. Ceanna

• Irishgirl711
    edited September 2018
    Options

Hi, Ceanna,

I am having the surgery this Wednesday. thanks for your thoughts and prayers. I need them! This is a little overwhelming, but needs to be done.

• ceanna
    edited September 2018
    Options

irishgirl, probably easier to cope sooner rather than later surgery--no time to dwell once the need was evidenced. I will definitely keep you in my thoughts and prayers for Wednesday's surgery, and treatment and healing in the weeks following. Sign in and let us know how you're doing as soon as you feel up to it. ((((((((Gentle hugs))))))))!!! Ceanna

• Irishgirl711
    edited September 2018
    Options

had surgery yesterday. BS confident that she got it all. She had to excise some of the chest wall because it was deep inside the breast and next to the wall.

Because I lost so much tissue in the right breast, a Plastic surgeon assisted to do oncoplasty and tissue transfer and also did a reduction on my left breast to provide symmetry.

Needless to say, I am stuff and sore, but glad it is over. I still need to heal before starting full breast radiation to be sure there are no more errant clusters forming, but hopefully I will be done with this once and for all.

• ceanna
    edited September 2018
    Options

Irishgirl, glad to hear the surgery went well and that you're already feeling up to getting on the BCO boards. I pray healing continues and you are "done with this once and for all." Virtual (((((hugs)))))

• Irishgirl711
    edited October 2018
    Options

Almost two weeks post surgery. I learned that they implanted something called Biozorb in my right breast to mark the area for follow up radiation. It is a coiled, 3D device with titanium chips, and oddly feels much like the SAVI, though without the wires and open wound. It is round and hard, and they tell me that the coils are made from a material that will be reabsorbed within a year or more, but the chips will remain to mark the area.

I am not at all happy about having another hard lump in my breast to contend with. It is not as bulky and cumbersome as the SAVI, but there is no way that I can ignore that it is there.

I wasn't given a choice, though, so guess I will have to learn to live with it and hope I heal quickly so that I can get on with the radiation therapy and be done with all this.

My body seems to have been invaded a lot for a “non invasive" cancer.

Problem is, they tell me that the DCIS they discovered this time may have been there last year, but was so microscopic that it did not show up. Had they found it, I suppose that my surgery and radiation treatment may have been different. But, who knows?

Although they call it a “recurrence", it is the same duct, same breast, different area (12 o'clock vs 6), so the SAVI did not touch that area. The RO said DCIS does not grow that fast and had to have been there last year, but was so microscopic as to not show on a mammogram.

Just bad luck, I guess. I probably should have had an MRI last year. Maybe that would have shown it.

In any event, this is where I am nowand I will do what I need to to get rid of this once and for all.

• PatsyKB
    PatsyKB Member Posts: 211
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Irishgirl71 I think I’m late in sending my sympathy and love on all you’ve had to deal with recently. But belated is better than nothing.

Coincidentally, I just had my “routine” mammogram - yes, just 5 months post surgery but a year after my last mammogram. Wouldn’t you know it - a galaxy of new calcifications in the neighborhood of the tumor site. Rats.

My biopsy is in 2 days - Thurs 10/4. Needle biopsy, so relatively easy. Fingers crossed.

Like you I am convinced my SAVI choice was wise.

Hope you heal and improve and that this is the END of cancer for you. xox
  • Irishgirl711
    edited October 2018
    Options

Hi, Patsy,

Thanks for your kind words sorry to hear about your recent mammogram results, though. I know how upsetting this is, for sure!

Good luck with your biopsy. Remember, sometimes the SAVI destroys tissue and what is showing may be scar tissue. Let’s hope so.

But, whatever, I am sure that you will move forward with whatyou need to do. I am keeping my fingers crossed. Let us know what is going on. Sending good vibes and hugs your way.

• jkl2017
    jkl2017 Member Posts: 279
    edited October 2018
    Options

Hi, Irishgirl! I haven't been following this discussion for awhile so I apologize for not commenting sooner. I am so sorry you're dealing with this again! But you are a strong woman & it sounds like your medical team has a good plan in place for you. Hopefully radiation will destroy every last evil cell lurking in your breast! I'm sending hugs & prayers that all goes well & that this is the end of your cancer-related problems! (BTW, the Biozorb sounds uncomfortable; do you ever feel like we're all part of some mass science experiment?)

Pasty, my fingers are crossed for you as you have your biopsy. I'm also sending prayers your way. Keep us posted.

• Irishgirl711
    edited October 2018
    Options

Hi, JKL2016,

Yes. I do feel like a lab rat sometimes. All these new technologies that pop up and nobody knows the long term effects because they are so new. But, I am grateful that they are there and what they are meant to do (facilitate treatment with minimal damage to healthy tissue), yet wish they didn’t have to keep sticking stuff in my already over sensitive Boobie.

The Biozorb is uncomfortable, but much smaller than the SAVI, and is not coming out, so I’d better get used to it. From the forums on this site, other women have dealt with it and it just takes time to be reabsorbed, though some scar tissue may remain. It also helps to keep the breast shape and alleviate any collapse or crevices where the tissue was removed, so it has a few good reasons for being there.

Just another weapon in this battle we fight.

• ceanna
    edited October 2018
    Options

Thinking of both of you, Irishgirl and Patsy, and hoping all goes well with treatment and tests. Keep us posted. Ceanna

• Irishgirl711
    edited October 2018
    Options

Pathology report was reviewed with me today by BS. Negative for any carcinoma! Yay! Still need the radiation, to be sure no more microscopic cells are lurking.

Patsy, how was your biopsy? (Mine was pretty awful, btw, due to the difficulty in getting the sample deep inside near the chest wall).

• patk
    patk Member Posts: 11
    edited October 2018
    Options

Hi Sweetpea. Sorry you had such a bad experience. I just had my SAVI inserted 1 week ago and finally after 5 grueling days of finding out that there was still air in there they say that on Monday I might be able to start treatment. I am bound so tight I can hardly breathe but want all that air out so I can get this over with and then start chemo 😒

Am just hoping that when I go back on Monday I can start. Bet you are happy it is over for you.

• ceanna
    edited October 2018
    Options

PatK, sorry you find yourself here, but a gentle hug in welcome. I'm sorry you are having problems with the SAVI insertion and hope you can start treatment next week. Sweetpea hasn't been active on this thread in over a year, but those of us who check back want to offer you help and encouragement as you go through this. If you've read any of the recent posts on this thread, several of us have shared tips, ideas, and information. If you have any questions, please ask away. Please let us know how you are doing. All the best to you. Ceanna

Irishgirl, glad to hear the results of your recent biopsy. Not sure I understand why you still need radiation if it was negative, but hoping you sail right through. Please keep us posted.

Patsy, any test results yet? Thinking of you.

• Irishgirl711
    edited October 2018
    Options

Hi, Patk,

Wow! You really have had a bad time with your SAVI! I had to be manipulated one time to release fluid around the SAVI and it was awful! I can’t imagine having it done several times.

Hope things are better for you next week. Keep in touch as you go through treatment and read the posts in this blog for ideas and details of those of us who went through this. We are here for you, so ask questions and we will try to help.

Ceanna, I am not sure why they want me to have radiation unless it is the protocol to clean up any possible cells that are hidden. But, I don’t see why I can’t monitor with mammograms and/or MRI’s and if it comes back again, I can have another lumpectomy and then have the radiation. Last year, the Pathology report showed positive for DCIS, so I went for the SAVI to cleanse the area.

If I get the radiation now and it comes back, I will have no choice but mastectomy.

I will discuss with the BS and RO and make an informed decision. Thanks for your support

• patk
    edited October 2018
    Options

Unfortunately today they had to remove the SAVI because of air. Had 3 treatments and was wrapped so tight I thought my lungs would collapse 😊 Went back for the 4th and the doc told me there was just too much air to continue. So they pulled it out. After all of that I am so disappointed.

Then the trip to the oncologist wasn't much better. He told me I had an Onco score of 42 which was quite aggressive. Can't start treatment until the SAVI scar heals. I was shocked because I was Stage 2 no lymph involvement with clean margins. Oh boy! Guess I just need time to digest and now I know that when the chemo treatments have ended I have 5weeks of external radiation to look forward to.

• ceanna
    edited October 2018
    Options

PatK, I'm so sorry you encountered such problems. Hope they can maybe reduce the number of rad treatments you need since you already had three internal. I hope and pray you heal quickly, and get further treatments underway and completed successfully. Please let us know how you're doing. Gentle hugs!

• Irishgirl711
    edited October 2018
    Options

Patk,

So very sorry that you are going through this and the SAVI did not work out for you. As you may know from my posts, I had the SAVI, but had a recurrence (rather rare, I understand), within a year. I, too, am now facing 6weeks of rads.

Nothing much we can do, I guess, but move forward. I hope you heal quickly. I think my SAVI wound did.

I am now 3 weeks post second lumpectomy and the healing seems much slower than last year.

I am hoping it can all be over by Christmas because we are going to visit my daughter in her new home in Tampa and I have been looking forward to spending time with her.

PatK, please let us know how you are doing. Sending good thoughts and prayers your way.

• ceanna
    edited October 2018
    Options

Irishgirl, thanks for the update. Sorry you don't feel like you're healing as fast and hope the speed picks up and rads are done by Christmas travel. Hard to believe we are almost mid-October and Christmas is like 10-11 weeks away!!!! Yikes!!!! All the best to you. Please keep us updated. Blessings, Ceanna

• jkl2017
    jkl2017 Member Posts: 279
    edited October 2018
    Options

So sorry, PatK. I'm sending prayers that the rest of your treatment goes smoothly - you are due for some good luck!

And Irishgirl, I'm hoping you heal quickly too. You have wonderful incentive to recover in time for your Christmas visit with your daughter! (Isn't it wonderful when our daughters grow up enough to become our friends?) Keeping you in my prayers too.

• patk
    edited October 2018
    Options

Thanks Ceanna and Irishgirl

Start my chemo TCx4 October 30th. Since I fall into every very small category (my RO had never in 12 years had to pull a SaVI) I am praying that I can tolerate my chemo and it goes well and I again am not in that very small margin who cannot tolerate it. Thank you for your kind words.

• Irishgirl711
    edited November 2018
    Options

Hi, Patk,

How is the Chemo treatments going? I hope you are able to tolerate it and are doing better. Take care of yourself, rest and let the time pass.

I am at a standstill myself. Waiting for my wounds to heal, still, before I begin the radiation therapy to hopefully sterilize any wanton cancer cells waiting to burst forth.

After all if this, I am not eager to ever have any surgery. Hopefully, I will be done with it all soon.

JKL2017,

Yes, I am eager to visit with my daughter in December. My son and his family are also going to be there and my daughter has a busy schedule of events planned.

Since I won’t Be having any treatment until January, I should be in better physical (and mental) health and the change in scenery and location should do me well.

I am looking forward to the holidays. I already have my home decorated for Thanksgiving.

Hope all my SAVI sisters are doing well.

• patk
    edited November 2018
    Options

This is day 8 post first chemo treatment and is the first day I am finally feeling like myself again. Even though they say hardly anyone experiences the nausea well I did. They gave me Rx for it and I did take it three times and helped greatly. If the rest go like this I think I will make it :). I like your have my home already decorated for Thanksgiving because going for a treatment a few days before and really need the atmosphere. I am so happy that you will be able to visit with your family before. It does so much for the psyche. One of my sons was here last week and daughter coming in on Friday. It means so much. Wish I could travel right now to see all of them but that will have to wait until March. Still bummed that the SAVI didn't work for me because now after going through 2 weeks of pushing on it and being bound so tight I will have to have 30 more treatments in January. But as long as it does the trick I will be there. Good luck to you and happy holidays

• patk
    edited November 2018
    Options

Just finished my first round of chemo and this is the 9th day and feeling pretty good. The first week filled with nausea but slept a lot and took pills for it so not too bad. I guess I just have to get used to the fact that I will be tired and a little sick as well. Appetite though very good. Eating everything in the house. So I guess that's a good thing. Have next treatment on the 16th. Not to say that I am looking forward to it because I am not but can't wait to get it all over with.

• ceanna
    edited November 2018
    Options

Irishgirl and PatK. Thanks for the updates.

Pat, Glad you are having good days between the chemo treatments and that your family is coming to visit since you can't travel right now.

Irishgirl, glad, too, that you are enjoying time with family. Wow! All decorated for Thanksgiving. I'm going pretty low-key this year for both Thanksgiving and Christmas. Sorry to hear you are delayed in further treatment but hope all goes well when you begin in January.

Hi to JKL and Patsy and others reading here. Hope all are doing well. Post an update when you get the chance! Blessings! Ceanna