Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Savi radiation treatment

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• ceanna
    ceanna Member Posts: 3,120
    edited April 2020
    Options

Jcann, how are treatments going this week?!! I hope well and that you are over half done!!

• Jcann212
    Jcann212 Member Posts: 5
    edited April 2020
    Options

I’m done! Finished my five days/10 treatments this afternoon and all went well. The hardest part of the removal was the lidocaine injection. Although they used the lidocaine cream to numb the area first, there still was a strong stinging sensation during the injection. I’m glad this person of my journey is complete and I can finally take a complete shower tomorrow night. Now on to the medical oncologist on 4/20 for my oncotype testing results. These are very hard times right now being in quarantine for the Coronavirus epidemic and having to go through this. Thankfully I have a loving and supportive family.

• ceanna
    edited April 2020
    Options

YAY!!! Glad to hear you're done in just the one week and it worked well for you. Glad, too, you have supportive family during the treatment and this unique time when it would have been even more difficult to go in many more weeks for traditional rads!! Enjoy that shower!!! Stay home now and safe until your follow up app't. If you have questions as you recover, please don't hesitate to ask. All the best. Ceanna

• Jcann212
    Jcann212 Member Posts: 5
    edited April 2020
    Options

It’s the morning after my Savi Brachy removal and I have a question I forgot to ask my radiation oncologist. Maybe someone here can help? Should I continue wearing a bra 24/7? I can’t wait to take a complete shower tonight! I have very little redness today and was advised that it will probably “blossom” next week.

• ceanna
    edited April 2020
    Options

Hi Jcann, I think as you heal you'll want to wear a bra. There's structure within the breast that has been cut and changed with your surgery and device placement and you don't want to put pressure on those wounds without some support from a bra until you heal up, especially if you're an active sleeper! Personally, I wore a breast binder 24/7 at first and no bra. I had two and could wear one and wash one. I got one from the hospital and bought the second online. See pic below, not sure of brand name anymore, but cozy and supportive (mine did not have straps, though) with Velcro closure. You didn't say if you were on a preventative antibiotic, but maybe, so not sure what they would mean by redness blossoming, but just watch for infection. You might still have some watery discharge from the wound until it heals over but it shouldn't be too colorful. Maybe the redness is just your body healing from the radiation--I do remember some darker area of my breast over top where the rads had been but it looked more like a bruise and not red. Be careful of the wound and even in your first wonderful shower, let water just flow past the new wound, not into it. It may takes weeks before the device wound heals over, and don't be surprised if you get little nerve ending twinges or vibrating feeling as your breast heals. You might want to put a call in to your doctor's office with your questions, just to be sure, but it sounds like you're doing well! Enjoy that shower!!! Ask again, if you have more questions. Ceanna