Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Savi radiation treatment

Options

Comments

• PatsyKB
    PatsyKB Member Posts: 211
    edited June 2018
    Options

Woo hoo, Lovemyyorkies! My post-radiation instructions were very specific and dictated NO SHOWER or bathing until the wound had fully closed, so for me it was about 3 days after the last treatment. Yes, the washcloth/camping-body-wipes version of bathing wasn't much fun, but I did schedule a haircut & shampoo which took care of my head anyway. I did not want to risk doing anything to compromise healing or, god forbid, possibly risk an infection.

It's interesting how every radiation practice has different instructions. Mine said NO salves or ointments or anything, but rather to leave it alone and just pat it dry once it scabs and I was bathing again, My docs (who pioneered the SAVI in Arizona), feel that putting anything on the wound interferes with the healing. Once the scab fell off, then I was free to use vitamin E oil or fragrance/dye/non-allergenic lotion.

Now my already-scarred and divot-dented right breast has new additions: the lumpectomy scar, the SAVI insertion scar, some other random puncture scar, and of course the lymph removal scar. As my husband says, it's a roadmap of my health.

My advice in all cases like this? Call your radiation oncologist's office and ask their recommendations.

Don't ignore restrictions on activity - the tissues around the SAVI device where radiation was directed are very prone to damage. It makes me crazy, because I FEEL GREAT, but I am staying away from yoga (body-weight-supported poses are too risky), upper-body work, and carrying anything over 10 lbs - doc's orders. I walk and walk and walk and walk and do stretches and easy crunches and core work (Carefully) for now. My RO did give me permission to start carefully lifting 5 lb weights, so I do that and I feel much better for it. But DON'T overdo!

Time will pass. And you'll be fine.

• jkl2017
    jkl2017 Member Posts: 279
    edited June 2018
    Options

Celebrating with you, Lovemyyorkies! Feels great to have it out, doesn't it?

I waited 48 hours to shower & LOVED that first shower! I got a referral for LEPT following SAVI removal. My physical therapist provided stretching & strength exercises that I started immediately & she let me know when I could return to the gym. At my follow-up with my RO, he cleared me to resume weight training around 6 weeks post-removal. I then worked with a personal trainer for a few weeks to ensure that I did everything correctly & safely (& initially at lower weights). In the meantime - like Patsy suggested - walk, walk, walk! And I wouldn't worry about the steri-strips; the fluid should resorb without having to drain. (I still have a small seroma there but my doctors are unconcerned & it doesn't limit my movement at all.) If you have uncomfortable swelling, see your BS & (s)he can drain it, if necessary.

Don't rush things; you'll get back to most, if not all, of your previous activities in time. For now, just enjoy life! So happy all is going well for you. And congrats to everyone else who's gotten through SAVI radiation!

Edited to add a final thought.

• Lovemyyorkies
    Lovemyyorkies Member Posts: 43
    edited June 2018
    Options

Thanks. Irishgirl71. They told me what complications to watch for. I think I'll contact my BS Monday and see what he suggest since he is a surgeon oncologist that does these all the time. I don't think my cancer center here is real familiar with the Savi since surgeons here don't put them in. They mostly use the mamosites.

• ceanna
    ceanna Member Posts: 3,120
    edited June 2018
    Options

lovemyyorkies, congrats on having successfully completed SAVI time. Maybe recommendations changed since I had SAVI 3 years ago, but I could shower the next day after removal. Perhaps it has something to do with where the device incision is. If it is so positioned as to allow water to enter and pool, maybe they need to be more cautious about showering right away. I did not have steri-strips and was told it had to heal from the inside out--but again, recommendations may have changed over the years. My SAVI incision took awhile to heal and I had a little oozing for a couple of weeks--had to continue with packing during that time, but the wound has healed nicely and I only have a faint scar. I used a hand-held shower which allowed me to direct the water away from the wound--especially helpful for the lower body half!! If you don't have one installed, there are temporary ones that you slide over the water spout you can buy fairly cheaply. Were you on an preventative antibiotic while the device was in? Hope you get to experience the "first shower" soon!! All the best. Ceanna

• gld2b
    gld2b Member Posts: 6
    edited June 2018
    Options

I'm scheduled for SAVI insertion on June 26. Thank you so much to everyone who has posted about their experiences, and especially to those who are still here offering support long after their treatment ended. You are giving priceless service. Kristen (gld2b)

• Irishgirl711
    Irishgirl711 Member Posts: 88
    edited June 2018
    Options

gld2b,

Welcome! Sorry you find yourself in this situation, but you are right. You will find lots of support and encouragement here.

I knew very little about the SAVI device besides seeing it before placement and listening to the surgeon and RO.

I was fortunate to find this blog, and read it completely and was very thankful for the day by day diaries and answers to my questions as I went through treatment. I would not have known what to expect otherwise. Or, what was “normal”, if any of this actually can be called normal.

I found many “SAVI Sisters” on this site, and even though it is coming up to my one year anniversary of having gone through this, I feel very connected to the ladies on this blog, who continue to offer support and encouragement.

Thank you, gld2b, for your kind words. Know that we are here for you. Keep us posted as you go through this. Ask questions, vent, complain. You will find no judgement or criticism here, only support and encouragement.

Best of luck to you in the coming week. Hope your insertion goes well and your treatment proceeds without a hitch. This will all be over soon!!!!

Sending good thoughts your way.

• Lovemyyorkies
    edited June 2018
    Options

Hi gld2b, welcome to this site. Sorry you have to go through this ,but everyone here has helped me walk through the journey. I have felt so much better with the support from others who have gone through this. Knowing what to expect and knowing I'm feeling normal. My insertion was a breeze. I was uncomfortable during treatment but Tylenol took care of it. I dreaded the removal but wasn't as bad as I feared. The time went by fast. Now I just have to heal. I am impatient and it's hard to slow down. I want it done yesterday! Know you aren't alone.

• ceanna
    edited June 2018
    Options

gld2b, sorry you find yourself here, but know that we're here to support and encourage you through the SAVI treatment and beyond. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. I see that with insertion on the 26th, you might be bumping up against the 4th of July holiday unless you are out of the US or have treatment on the day of insertion. Please ask away on any questions, and provide us updates. One of us here will help answer and give some gentle, virtual (((((Hugs))))). All the best! Ceanna

• gld2b
    edited June 2018
    Options

Ceanna, Lovemyyorkies, and Irishgirl711,

Thank you so much for the encouragement and well wishes. I agree, Irishgirl711, that I knew little about Savi treatment before coming here. I will have to skip a treatment day on July 4, but if all goes well, I'll still only have the device in for one weekend. The RO said I need to sleep with it a night to let it "settle" before they do any treatment planning. My first MO appointment is the same day as the insertion, so it will be an eventful day. I will certainly try to share my experience here later to help others.

• PatsyKB
    PatsyKB Member Posts: 211
    edited June 2018
    Options

gkd2b, do keep us all posted. It sounds like your schedule is similar to mine - I had my SAVI inserted the day before the first treatment day. And in addition to the weekend in the middle of the treatment, I had Memorial Day, so a 3 day weekend. It meant a longer time with the SAVI and a longer no-bathing time so maybe see if you can schedule a shampoo/dry/style. It's not medically called for but boy, you'll feel bwtter!

• Lovemyyorkies
    edited June 2018
    Options

Woo hoo!!. I had my shower today. First one in 12 days! Im finally starting to feel normal. Getting my energy back. Less discomfort. Looking forward to the day when this will be just a memory.

• Irishgirl711
    edited June 2018
    Options

Yay! Lovemyyorkies, I bet that shower was the best ever! Funny how we used to take that luxury for granted. I had a new appreciation for a long, hot shower after the SAVI ordeal, and appreciate them even now, almost a year later. I now shop for gels and lotions with a new perspective.

Gld2b,

How was your SAVI surgery today? I hope it went well. Be sure to take pain meds if needed, and be careful not to jostle the affected area. You will be keenly aware that the SAVI is there, that’s for sure, but it will be all over soon.

Sending good thoughts your way.

• ceanna
    edited June 2018
    Options

Lovemyyorkies, glad you were able to enjoy that shower!!! Also, that you are feeling more energetic, and that soon, the treatment will be a distant memory!!

gdl, hope the insertion went well today and you can begin treatment tomorrow. Are you on a preventative antibiotic? Let us know how you're doing.

• gld2b
    edited June 2018
    Options

My Savi placement was a few hours ago, and I'm home taking it easy. I was too nervous beforehand to say it was a breeze, but it really did go well, and it was practically painless. I'm a bit sore now, mostly under the lumpectomy scar, but don't feel I need to take anything for it.

I think memories of the stereotactic breast biopsy and tracer injection for the SLNB left me expecting much worse. The BS and his nurse are pleasant and kind, and that really helps. I also like that he calls me "young lady" even though I probably have 10 years on him.

Yes, I'm taking Keflex, and he threw in some Diflucan just in case. PatsyKB, I will definitely find a way to have my hair washed. It's too thick and I'm too short to do it in the sink, especially without resting my breasts on the counter :)

I definitely feel more optimistic about the next 10 days!

• gld2b
    edited June 2018
    Options

My Savi placement was a few hours ago, and I'm home taking it easy. I was too nervous beforehand to say it was a breeze, but it really did go well, and it was practically painless. I'm a bit sore now, mostly under the lumpectomy scar, but don't feel I need to take anything for it.

I think memories of the stereotactic breast biopsy and tracer injection for the SLNB left me expecting much worse. The BS and his nurse are pleasant and kind, and that really helps. I also like that he calls me "young lady" even though I probably have 10 years on him.

Yes, I'm taking Keflex, and he threw in some Diflucan just in case. PatsyKB, I will definitely find a way to have my hair washed. It's too thick and I'm too short to do it in the sink, especially without resting my breasts on the counter :)

I definitely feel more optimistic about the next 10 days!

• Irishgirl711
    edited June 2018
    Options

gld2b,

Glad that the placement went well and that you will be completing your treatment soon. Take it easy this weekend.

• ceanna
    edited June 2018
    Options

gld, I hope your weekend with the device in is going well and that treatments are going well also. You must be about 1/2 way done!! Let us know how you're doing when you can.

Lovemyyorkies, I hope you are doing well and healing quickly from the device removal.

Edited for typo.

• ceanna
    edited June 2018
    Options

Tampa, you haven't checked back in a few weeks, and I have wondered how you are doing. Were you able to get treatment? My thoughts go out to you, and when you get the chance, please let us know how you're doing.

• gld2b
    edited July 2018
    Options

Thank you for asking about me, Ceanna. Two days of treatment down and it's going really well. My breast hurts a bit, and sometimes the incision around the device entry hurts, but it is manageable. I am so fortunate that the treatment center is 20 minutes from work and home. I've been going to work in between treatments. Yesterday (Friday), I had TWO vehicles break down on me but each happened after a treatment and not before, which was more than just good luck.

If I want to post all the details of my SAVI treatment later for newcomers, should I start a new topic? Don't want to perpetuate too many similar topic threads, but want to make it easy to find. Thank you everyone!

• Lovemyyorkies
    edited July 2018
    Options

Just let y'all know I'm doing well. I found aloe vera gel with lidocaine helps with burning sensation but thats about gone now. Just got a call and my genetic testing came back negative. YEAH! Hi Gld2b. Sorry about car troubles. I hope it wasn't too hot where you are. How was your weekend? Will you be done by the 4th?

• Irishgirl711
    edited July 2018
    Options

lovemyyorkies,

Congrats on the good news regarding your genetic testing!

Gld2b,

Wow! Two vehicles breaking down in one day must have been very stressful. I hope that working in between treatments is not too tiring. You need to take care of yourself, too. I guess it depends on how strenuous (mentally or physically) your job can be.

Almost done with treatment! We are keeping fingers crossed that the removal goes smoothly.

• ceanna
    edited July 2018
    Options

Gld, glad to hear treatment is going well, but what a week!!! Treatment, cars breaking down, and working. Hope you got a chance to relax over the weekend and can relax on your treatment day off on the 4th. Be careful not to do too much!!! Hope your work is not too physical or stressful. Please check with your treatment team (especially the nurses who dress the wound after treatment) if you experience more pain. They may be able to suggest effective relief. Those nerve endings in the open wound are agitated!!!

As far as your question about starting a new thread, that's up to you. I kind of like having many people's stories all on one thread--I am one of the long timers here and it's not always easy to catch if someone starts a new thread on a topic I'm interested in, but if someone new posts on an existing thread, it lands in my "Favorite Topics" list.

lovemyyorkies, how great that your genetic tests came back negative!

Let me ask everyone here--those new and long timers on this thread. I have wondered if I should start a generic SAVI thread--meaning I would compile medical info and people's tips about SAVI treatment in one place and then people can ask questions and respond on that thread so as not to have to search to find the basics which over the years have become scattered. Would you picture that being helpful? Maybe others here have other ideas.

• Lovemyyorkies
    edited July 2018
    Options

Has anyone had stabbing pain? Feels like a wire or knife poking me Mine started today and have not experienced this. I have been doing good and yesterday was great. Did not do anything yesterday to trigger this

• ceanna
    edited July 2018
    Options

Lovemyyorkies, I'm sorry you're experiencing stabbing pains. I had a little of that at first, but did have the sensation of vibration in my breast for a few months. It eventually went away, but on very rare occasions, pops up again for a few seconds. My docs explained it as nerve ending pains, especially if they come and go. Or maybe you moved a little more or a little differently from the direction the wound is healing--even by just stretching a little farther than you did the day before. Healing takes time, unfortunately! Hope it stops for you soon, otherwise, check with your care team. Hang in there! Blessings. Ceanna

• Irishgirl711
    edited July 2018
    Options

Lovemyyorkies,

I had stabbing pains for several weeks after I finished treatment and still do get “nerve jolts” once in awhile. I agree with Ceanna that it is nerve endings acting out. My RO said it is normal, and could last years, so I have come to accept it. I am coming up on one year post treatment next month and get them infrequently now.

I also feel sore sometimes if I overdo activity, like when I did gardening this year, because I am right handed and that is the side where the SAVI was.

If it really bothered me, I took Tylenol, but otherwise just waited it out.

Hope you feel better soon

• Lovemyyorkies
    edited July 2018
    Options

Thanks for the replies. My BS said nerve probably in healing tissue getting pulled and to start massaging. That has helped plus experimenting with different bras. I'm also tight handed so I probably overdo a times. Hanging in there and

• ceanna
    edited July 2018
    Options

gld, hope that your treatment is done, the device has been removed, and you are doing great. Hope to hear your story soon so we can celebrate with you.

Lovemyyorkies, I hope the nerve pain is lessening and healing is happening!

Take care all.

• gld2b
    edited July 2018
    Options

I finished SAVI treatment on July 5 and the RO removed the device that afternoon. I took two Percocet before the treatment and had strong pain for about 45 seconds when the device came out, but it abated after that. He put about 12 steri-strips in a pile over the incision, and all but 3 came off when I showered (I held a washcloth over the incision in the shower). The incision is on the right side of my right breast, and on July 9, I was finally able to sleep on that side for a few hours. The incision and surgical cavity have more soreness than I expected, and I have regular stabbing pains through the day, but it's all slowly improving.

I felt very unsettled the few days after finishing, I think a letdown from being so consumed by this for weeks and now having to face everything in my daily life I left undone during that time. But I'm slowing feeling better about that also. I gave myself a little break and then took the first Tamoxifen tablet this morning. I'm interested to see how that goes! Next, I need to figure out how to get some exercise. I hate exercising indoors, but this heat means it has to be the indoor track for the next several months.

Thank you everyone for your concern and interest.

• ceanna
    edited July 2018
    Options

gld, glad to hear you're done and recovering well. The pains are part of the healing and will be better. Yes, the busyness of the treatment week does consume your time and it's an adjustment to be finished and trying to find a new "routine" for your daily life. Don't rush it and make sure you don't overdo. You want to let the device incision heal. All the best to you. Stop by and let us know how you're doing and help the next person on this journey. Blessings. Ceanna

• Tampa59
    Tampa59 Member Posts: 8
    edited July 2018
    Options

...And back...to try again. Thanks for the kind words and support a month ago as I think everyone had something kind to say - ceanna, kiki13, BJI, Irishgirl71, huntingal, Patsykp...I was pretty upset but what they say is true - time heals so very much. It was hard for me to find much info about this not working because it is rare for those who have the option so reminder to myself I should be thankful for that. I talked to my primary, re-talked with the surgeon, and spoke with the oncologist. Bottom line is trying again but had to heal first. Yes, I feel like my old self and gee get to do this again. Insurance had a peer-to-peer with the surgeon and all is approved for attempt 2 but the odds should be in my favor right?! This time the unknown and worry about the insertion and removal is gone since I had both- I just didn't have the radiation.

Anyway, the plan is cat scan Monday, insertion Wednesday and staging Friday. So, by Friday, we'll know if it is in the right place this time and if so, radiation treatments will start 2x/day Mon- Fri the following week. Fingers crossed. This is probably the ONLY place I could find information about the experience; most of the facebooks groups don't even know what this is. And then I feel like I couldn't complain about it when others are going through so much more so I try to reset my expectations. Remain hopeful that this will be a go for the next 2 weeks!!!