Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Savi radiation treatment

Options

Comments

• Denmother
    Denmother Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2019
    Options

Thank you for the reply’s. I finally had it removed today and the whole experience went ok. Four years ago I had dcis in my right breast and opted for the typical 7 weeks of external rads. This definitely get points for the timeframe. The issues I originally has was the white disc that moves (that I found out after that morning). It was half way in the incision and super sore. The nurse told me I could just slide it back and the pain immediately subsided. Other than a few sore days it was ok. Luckily I did read have to work so I was able to keep it pretty stable. The hole then Savi left is pretty impressive lol. Hope it heals quickly. Prayers for all of you in the beginning, middle or end of your treatment. You got this

• ceanna
    ceanna Member Posts: 3,120
    edited September 2019
    Options

Denmother, glad the device is out and hope your wound is healing ok. The wound will heal. Mine was quite open for awhile, but then suddenly healed over. There is only a small scar there now. All the best to you.

• grayskies
    grayskies Member Posts: 22
    edited October 2019
    Options

i had a lumpectomy 9/23/19, and I have decided to do SAVI. I just don't know when the insertion is yet. I want to know.... to plan.

I met the RO last Wednesday. I meet with the MO next Wednesday. That's all I know.

This thread has been super helpful. It has left me both excited and scared. Thanks to everyone who shared information and experiences.

• ceanna
    edited October 2019
    Options

grayskies, I hope you get all the details and a plan in place during your appointments next week. If you have any questions after, please don't hesitate to ask. Please let us know how we can help, and please update us! All the best, Ceanna

• grayskies
    edited October 2019
    Options

I am having my pre-insertion ultrasound on Tuesday. If all looks good, insertion of the SAVI will be the next morning. I'm excited. I want this whole thing over.

• grayskies
    edited October 2019
    Options

Question: between insertion and radiation, will I physically be able to work? I have a desk job. I know I will likely be stinky. lol Just wondering if I will be too uncomfortable to sit at a desk for eight hours. Thoughts?

• ceanna
    edited October 2019
    Options

grayskies, I hope all goes well for the insertion and rads. I was able to do almost everything I normally did during the time with the device in, except showering. You just want to watch that you don't run into anything, or have kids or pets jump up against you. I wore a breast binder which then contained the device ends (they hang out of your body) and the dressing which covered and protected the wound. It's seem a little weird to have this device hang out of your body for a week plus, but very do-able! With the breast binder, I did not have to worry about not having a bra on. I just wore the breast binder (picture of which I've posted here before) with a fleece jacket over it. The combination made it easy to get the CT scan before each rad treatment--I just unzipped the fleece jacket, and undid the Velcro of the binder and was able to keep the jacket on during scan and treatment in a cold room!! I drove everyday, went to meetings, and had a good excuse not to do housework! For cleaning up, I used full size washcloth type cleaning wipes or washcloth, and a handheld shower on my legs. Because of the position of my device, I could wash my hair in the sink, but others have made appointments to get their hair washed in a salon, or have someone else wash with a handheld. The trick is not to get the wound area wet. I also was given a preventive antibiotic while the device was in. Some have found the device to be more uncomfortable than others do. I always knew it was there, but not painful. Just take it easy, especially the first weekend when you will need to change your own dressings. Ask your nurses lots of questions (and get their weekend contact phone number), and they will change the dressings everyday you have twice-daily rads. Soon it will be over and you'll be glad you're not having regular rads for 6 weeks!! We're here for you if you have any questions or problems!! All the best. Ceanna

• Mistymn
    Mistymn Member Posts: 12
    edited October 2019
    Options

I just had my Savi device put in yesterday and start treatment on Monday. The insertion was the most painful thing I've ever experienced. It was a ripping burning pain that I'm still feeling. Is it normal to be in this much pain? I've taken every pain med that exists and nothing makes a dent in the pain. I am a DDD so I wasn't expecting the pain to be this bad. I told my surgeon and oncologist and they seemed surprised that it was this painful. Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm desperate!

• ceanna
    edited October 2019
    Options

mistymn, sorry you are experiencing so much pain. Have you called the surgeon or oncologist today to tell them the pain continues? I did not experience much pain, but nerves are everywhere and maybe the incision hit a major nerve or the device is placed too near a major nerve. Hope you get medical advice before the weekend! All the best, and please let us know how you're doing. Ceanna

• cowgirl13
    cowgirl13 Member Posts: 774
    edited October 2019
    Options

Misty, definitely call. Pain meds my not be working because you may have nerve damage. There are meds for nerve pain.

• grayskies
    edited October 2019
    Options

How bad is the insertion?

My insertion is being done at the hospital in the surgery center and I am supposed to bring a driver. Is this just precautionary? When will I be able to drive again? 24 hours? 8 hours?

What is normal and what should I expect?

• ceanna
    edited October 2019
    Options

grayskies, I don't know the current thinking on this, but I had just local numbing in the surgeon's office, and didn't need a driver. It could matter where the placement is in the breast and the direction from which they insert. Mine came in from under my arm but I've heard some who have a different location depending on where the lumpectomy was. I don't know if your breast center as a nurse navigator, but these would be good questions to ask them ahead of time.

mistymn, hope the pain has diminished. Were you able to call the doctor's office and get relief?

• Mistymn
    edited October 2019
    Options

My surgeon just told me to take advil which helped a great deal. I'm not really in pain any more, just discomfort. I start the treatment Monday and I'm just looking forward to the torture ending 😄

• Mistymn
    edited October 2019
    Options

I just had mine put in 2 days ago and it was torture. They kept having to give me more and more local anesthetic because of the burning tearing pain I felt. I was in tears during the entire insertion. I drove myself to and from the procedure so no limitations there.

• ceanna
    edited October 2019
    Options

mistymn, glad your pain is reduced to discomfort and you can even put a smiley face in your post!! Sorry placement was a bad experience for you. I think it has much to do with the location of the lumpectomy and how they have to position the device for each individual. Everyone experiences the insertion differently. I remember just pressure and discomfort. Are you on a preventative antibiotic? Don't know if they do that anymore, but I didn't get an infection with the wound open for a couple of weeks. Just think, by this time next week you'll be through radiation and device free!!! Then you have the joy of the first shower you're allowed after the device removal. Hope it all goes as scheduled next week. Please keep us updated. All the best. Ceanna

• Mistymn
    edited October 2019
    Options

My first treatment today went fine. My oncologist was not able to do a second treatment today since his house was hit with a tornado last night. I started feeling a little nauseous a few hours after treatment one so my question is has anyone had 3 in 1 day? I have to Wednesday and wasn't sure if it was going to make me feel sick.

• ceanna
    edited October 2019
    Options

Mistymn, glad you got one treatment done, but so sorry, and strange and unusual, about the tornado!! I did not have any nausea with rads so I can't help you with how three-a-day would affect a person. Please ask tomorrow when you go in for treatment about the nausea and see what they suggest. Other than the nausea, how are you doing? I hope no more pain and you were able to cope with the wound dressing over the weekend. Are you getting by with having someone wash you hair, etc? All the best for successful completion this week!!

• grayskies
    edited October 2019
    Options

I am having a pre insertion ultrasound today, with placement surgery anticipated for tomorrow morning. Anesthesia office just called with instructions. Seems like they are going to put me out. I don’t know whether to be relieved or alarmed.

Also, because of anesthesia, I need a driver and the only help I could find for tomorrow is my husband’s girlfriend (he and I are separated). Weird situation.

• grayskies
    edited October 2019
    Options

I’m getting very nervous and doubting the Savi route. Talk me into it.

• Mistymn
    edited October 2019
    Options

Grayskies Don't be nervous! I'm on my second day of treatment and have very few side effects other than being a little tired and was a little nauseous the first day which is VERY uncommon. PLUS it's only 5 DAYS vs. 7 weeks with major side effects like hair loss and extreme fatigue. Feel blessed that they are knocking you out for insertion because for me that's been the worst part of the entire ordeal. Good luck!

• grayskies
    edited October 2019
    Options

thanks for the encouragement, Misty

• grayskies
    edited October 2019
    Options

Well, the cavity left from the lumpectomy is too big still. So I have to wait two weeks and have it checked again. No surgery for me tomorrow. I’m both relieved and disappointed.

• cowgirl13
    cowgirl13 Member Posts: 774
    edited October 2019
    Options

Greyskies, I wouldn't worry at all about having this procedure while under anesthesia. I was out and so glad I was, especially reading about people who had bad experiences. I'm sure its a very small percentage of people who had difficult procedures but for me, especially with all the trauma and fear associated with the BC diagnosis, I absolutely wouldn't want anything that caused me any more upset. I just showed up, went under, and work up like what felt like a minute or two.

• Mistymn
    edited October 2019
    Options

Tomorrow I have my last 2 treatments and removal. I've heard the removal is more painful than the insertion and I'm scared. Also, will the radiation cause the hole from the savi to leak fluid like a blister? I've been reading all kinds of things and I'm not sure what to expect next.

• ceanna
    edited October 2019
    Options

mistymn, so glad to hear you'll be free of the device tomorrow!! Enjoy the freedom to again take a shower!!! Removal, like everything else, varies by the person! I didn't know what to expect so, yes, while a bit painful, it was over quickly (kind of like taking off adhesive)! I don't remember it being worse, or better, than insertion. My wound was open for some days/weeks, with decreasing small amount of fluid discharge. The wound heals from the inside out so you don't develop a seroma or infection--and, of course, healing time varies!! You'll probably need to keep a small amount of dressing in place for a period of days, but that's normal. Try to relax and the removal will be over quickly, or ask them to numb area or a medication. How did the three radiation day go Wednesday? All the best for speedy recovery!!

• Mistymn
    edited October 2019
    Options

The 3 a day treatment wasn't bad. Just tiring, made my breast stay bright red and made the skin around the device burn from being handled so much. The removal today was also very painful. All of the doctors and nurses said that most patients say it is like a bee sting and some pressure and I can say definitely that was NOT my experience. More like searing burning pain as if being stuck with a hot poker. It's over pretty quickly though. I started gushing fluid immediately and for about 5 minutes after. Even through all the pain and tiredness I'd still choose this option again over the alternative. I now have to go to a medical oncologist to find out what's next.

• grayskies
    edited October 2019
    Options

Wow Misty! That sounds painful. I bet you are glad that it is finished.

I'm glad to hear that you would choose to do it again. I'm very scared to begin my treatment.

• ceanna
    edited October 2019
    Options

Mistymn, I'm so glad you're done and the device is out. I'm not surprised, even with the extra pain you had, you would choose this option again instead of spending 6-7 weeks doing traditional radiation. All the best for the MO app't. Rest and enjoy that first shower!

grayskies, I'm sure it's even scarier because you have had to spend extra weeks waiting for rads to start. Each person experiences it differently so don't let the idea of pain put you off. Talk with your surgeon and see if they can prescribe something before the insertion to ease any anxiety you may have. It's do-able! Holding your hand as you wait!! Blessings. Ceanna

• Mistymn
    edited October 2019
    Options

I'm very glad it's finished and I was also scared grayskies. The worst part is the insertion and removal. Are you in some pain while the savi is in ? Yes but it's more of a discomfort than pain and I still went to work between treatments doing accounting work. The physical isn't the difficult part but the brain fog from the radiation and the fatigue is. I had a very understanding boss who let me work half days and just told me to take the last 2 days of treatment off and come back Monday. The pain after removal has already dissipated considerably and I already feel much more like myself. It'll be even better tomorrow when I can FINALLY shower.

• Mistymn
    edited October 2019
    Options

I know I just had my Savi device taken out Friday but how long does the pain and swelling last and how long does it take for the hole to close? My breast is also bright red and VERY hot to the touch. Also, how long does the itching last? It feels like an intense itch inside my breast where the Savi device was. Any response would be appreciated!